Moparts

71 Roadrunner project

Posted By: jbojo

71 Roadrunner project - 02/29/16 06:29 PM

Was lucky enough to find a 71 Roadrunner V code car with a 4spd and Super Drag pac option. Just starting the restoration and hoping to use this forum to document the build and help finding needed parts. Its been sitting since 1990 in the AZ sun so the interior is pretty destroyed. Here is a link to a few pics.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0131_zpsih9sjf2j.jpg.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0133_zpsraletuka.jpg.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0138_zpshnjb5u7x.jpg.html
Posted By: Keepat

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 02/29/16 10:50 PM

Awesome car! congrats!
Pat
Posted By: flypaper

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 12:58 AM

sweet 71, i'm jealous! rant

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 12:59 AM

that is a wild rear view mirror! laugh2

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 01:05 AM

grabber,4 spd,hood pins
any other options?
which steering wheel does it have?
i'm still drool
need more pics scope

drool
Posted By: T2R9

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 02:29 AM

Very nice! Looking forward to this one! popcorn

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 02:39 AM

It has the 3 spoke round center steering wheel. The car seemed to be optioned with the bare minimum, appears that it was going to be used for drags or something like that. It has air Grabber, PS, AM radio, canopy vinyl roof and the Super Drag Pac options. AZ heat has torn up the interior so that will need to be all replaced. Color is Curious Yellow with standard black interior and bench seats.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/01/16 03:10 AM

it looks like a great starting point
and not a rotted out roach
good luck with it.
Posted By: JcodeCharger

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/03/16 04:14 PM

Very cool. I love 71s.
Posted By: rhamson

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/03/16 08:34 PM

1969 and 1971 are my two favorite year Roadrunners. Good catch.
Posted By: cdp

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/04/16 04:50 AM

Sweet RR. 71's my favorite year...
Posted By: PasiR

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/04/16 07:12 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: 2JcodeChargers

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/05/16 12:38 AM

Looks like a great 'runner, but what the heck... I've lived in Az.
since 1971 and I never even heard a rumor of this car. What part of the state did it come from and how did you hear about it??

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/07/16 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By 2JcodeChargers
Looks like a great 'runner, but what the heck... I've lived in Az.
since 1971 and I never even heard a rumor of this car. What part of the state did it come from and how did you hear about it??

It is in the Phoenix area. I will be picking it up in May to start the restoration. A friend was going to restore but never got around to it.

Just got done with my Mustang from AZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9KPwIkIaVc

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/17/16 12:19 AM

The motor is just about done now. It was bored .030 over and kept mainly stock as far as the specs are concerned. Did use the Comp Cams Nostalgia Plus™ PP280H; 2000 - 6000 RPM Range cam though. Ran the motor to break in the cam with a 4v carb and will put on the 6 pack intake and carbs when the motor goes back in.

Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/18/16 01:45 PM

Is that the numbers matching eng.block.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/18/16 06:48 PM

Awesome find!

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/20/16 05:52 AM

Originally Posted By 71GTX471
Is that the numbers matching eng.block.

Unfortunately not. The car is a low mileage one that was used in 1/8 mile drags and was geared in the 5.xx range for the rear. Motor was blown long ago. Luckily the original tranny and Dana 60 was kept however they slapped a 360 and auto tranny into it but they left the clutch pedals in. I did manage to get a period correct HP motor 6 pack (1970 block) to put back in it. It's as close as I can get it. I don't plan to sell it so I ok with that. It will be built back to the way it was for 71.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/20/16 08:50 AM

Neat car, my favorite combo on a 71 RR. GY3 yellow on black with a 4 speed. 340, 440+6, or a Hemi, love all 3.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/24/16 05:34 AM

Update on the motor progress. Started it up and broke in the camshaft with a 4V carb and now fitting up the accessories. When the motor is in the car I will get the 6 pack pieces in.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 03/26/16 06:35 PM

Motor is done now.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 04/18/16 11:46 PM

Does anyone have experience with the 10.9" clutch plates? From what I can tell they were 10.5" but Center Force and McLeod make 10.9" that are supposed to fit 10.5" flywheels. Any issues with the larger parts?
thx

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 05/31/16 01:17 AM

In AZ picking up the car and looking at it for the first time really closely. The body is in really good condition with 100% of the sheetmetal present. No dings on front or rear bumpers and a few scrapes and dings to fix but nothing major. Here are the pics from today after I got the rotted tires off and some used ones on so that I can get it on the trailer.

[IMG]
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag33/John_Bojorquez/DSCN4228_zpspgo3kaef.jpg[/IMG]

Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 05/31/16 06:21 AM

The 10.95" scalloped clutch is indeed correct for you RR. It uses the 10.5" bolt pattern

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 06/18/16 06:24 AM

Just a quick update. Got the car up to WA. State to start my resto. At first site there only looked like surface rust but when I got the rear window off I got a surprise, Working on getting the car gutted and finding all the issues and then I'll start tackling all the major issues. The build sheet was totally disintegrated but the fender tag was there and in good shape.

Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 06/18/16 04:02 PM

Cool RR, looks like a great starting point! Keep up the progress, looking forward to seeing this one come together!

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 06/18/16 05:59 PM

Thx NV69B7RR

I got a small metal brake a couple of days ago to see if I could make replacement parts for the back window. Made a sample channel piece and it came out quite nice, when I make the final pieces I will replicate each section precisely and weld them on. I am going to put the car on a rotisserie and then start the repairs. Need to remove the drive train first and then all the fun begins.

Eastwood Versa Bend Brake

End View of sample peiece

Trial Fitment of piece

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/09/16 06:30 AM

Got that 360 and 727 out that the PO installed and started to fix some of the body work. First one is the right rear and then I am going to tackle the driver side door. The 4 sp tranny hump was also cut up so I am going to have to fix that as well as the other rusted out areas. Here are some pics.

Posted By: 71rm23

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/10/16 04:28 PM

Looking good!

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/11/16 09:44 PM

Got the dent pulled out of the drivers door. Used studs and a shrinking disk to do this repair. Some pics:

[IMG]
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag33/John_Bojorquez/IMG_1092_zpsxfp0rq9n.jpg[/IMG]

Posted By: CDN72SE

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/12/16 06:09 PM

Had a very similar dent in my door, good work.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/12/16 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By CDN72SE
Had a very similar dent in my door, good work.

Thx, that one was pretty easy to do. The rear window area is the one that will require a lot of work. Waiting to get the car on the rotisserie before I start that job.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/18/16 10:40 PM

Removed the front window and as expected there was rotted out areas although not as severe as the rear window. There are a total of 7 areas that I am going to have to address. Plans are to do all the welding repairs when I have it on the rotisserie. Next step is to start the dash and wiring removal. Some pics from today.

Posted By: dart4forte

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/19/16 11:19 PM

Interesting side mirror

Originally Posted By jbojo
Was lucky enough to find a 71 Roadrunner V code car with a 4spd and Super Drag pac option. Just starting the restoration and hoping to use this forum to document the build and help finding needed parts. Its been sitting since 1990 in the AZ sun so the interior is pretty destroyed. Here is a link to a few pics.

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0131_zpsih9sjf2j.jpg.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0133_zpsraletuka.jpg.html

http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/John_Bojorquez/media/100_0138_zpshnjb5u7x.jpg.html

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/20/16 12:33 AM

I don't believe that the side mirror was original. It is supposed to be the chrome sport mirror.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/20/16 03:38 PM

Removed the front window and as expected there was rotted out areas although not as severe as the rear window. There are a total of 7 areas that I am going to have to address. Plans are to do all the welding repairs when I have it on the rotisserie. Next step is to start the dash and wiring removal. Some pics from today.

When you removed the front and or the rear glass, did you notice how the trim clips was orientated? I need to put mine in at some time and can't seem to remember how the clips was facing. I think I know but I definitely don't want to put them in wrong smile

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/20/16 03:40 PM

I don't believe that the side mirror was original. It is supposed to be the chrome sport mirror.

I've never seen that type on that year, only the sport type. Don't know if there was an interchangeable one that would fit
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/21/16 09:15 AM

Thats an aftermarket 'jc whitney' type mirror

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/21/16 07:53 PM

Yeah, I didn't think it was original. This is what the fender tag says:
G33 Left Hand Outside Mirror - Manual / Chrome
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 07/22/16 09:53 AM

Should be like this then

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/02/16 03:29 AM

Got most of the front sheet metal removed now. Just need to remove the dash and suspension pieces and I'll have it torn apart. Then repair the rusted areas and it will be ready for stripping.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/08/16 04:23 AM

The dash and rear bumper and gas tank are now removed. Also built a frame so that I can work on the dash restoration. Now only if I can figure how to remove the pin at the steering box so that I can get the column out.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/08/16 04:48 AM

make sure you take plenty of dash detail pics and store them in a retrievable format. Ask me how I know.

Awesome project, can't wait to see your progress updates.
Posted By: Stewpar

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/10/16 03:49 AM

[quote=jbojo]Now only if I can figure how to remove the pin at the steering box so that I can get the column out.

Heat it up with a blow torch, lube and pound it out with a punch! hammer

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/10/16 03:56 AM

I've always used a 1/4" bolt about 3-4" long as a drift, and allot of pounding and it will fall out.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/10/16 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By cdp
I've always used a 1/4" bolt about 3-4" long as a drift, and allot of pounding and it will fall out.

I use a disk brake caliper pin

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/12/16 04:24 PM

Thx guys. I just got a 1/4 inch roll pin punch so I will be trying that out tomorrow. I also used a bolt but that didn't work either.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/16/16 03:45 PM

Latest pics, interior is pretty much gutted now. Need to remove the side windows and then the suspension comes off.

Posted By: 6PACKB

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/19/16 08:57 PM

Latest pics, interior is pretty much gutted now. Need to remove the side windows and then the suspension comes off.

Any progress to report or new pics?

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/20/16 06:35 AM

Not much to report, mostly sourcing parts that I need.

** I got the steering column out and tomorrow I will be boxing it up to get it restored.
** Sending the Power Brake booster to Dewey's for rebuild
** Steering gear box going to firm feel.
** Ordered all the interior parts from Legendary
** The dash paint is coming from Instrument Specialties.
** Wiper motor is getting restored. PO had put an C body motor in at some point so I was able to get the correct variable speed motor and it is being rebuilt.

After I get everything boxed up I will be repairing the steering wheel. This weekend is supposed to be in the 100's and it's just too hot to work in the garage so I don't think much will get accomplished.
Posted By: fc7freak

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/20/16 10:58 PM

I really love your Roadrunner and it is great to see it get the resto it deserves. I was looking at your firewall pics and Detroit Muscle Technologies are now making a very nice firewall insulation piece. Much improved over there original one they came out with. Looking forward to watching this thread. Good Luck!

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/21/16 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By fc7freak
I really love your Roadrunner and it is great to see it get the resto it deserves. I was looking at your firewall pics and Detroit Muscle Technologies are now making a very nice firewall insulation piece. Much improved over there original one they came out with. Looking forward to watching this thread. Good Luck!

Thx, Yeah I have been looking at the DMT parts and was thinking about their Mega Kit. I am hoping to have this back on the road by the end of next summer. I'll try to keep this thread updated every week.

Got the column boxed up so I can ship it out on Monday.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/29/16 04:06 AM

I restored the Steering wheel and removed the side windows over the last couple of days. The steering wheel was in sad shape so I used POR 15 epoxy to fill in all the cracks. Then sanded it down to the original contours and painted it. I think it came out pretty good. Here are some pics.

Posted By: Keepat

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 08/29/16 01:55 PM

Great job on your steering wheel! What did you do to replicate the texture?
Thanks
Pat

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/28/16 06:56 AM

Been working on the dash and I used PPG Duracryl Black Suede for the finish. After I cleaned the the dash I laid down some Acrylic primer and followed it with 6 coats of the Black Suede. It's beginning to look like a dash again but I need to send out the guage cluster for restore. I would like some suggestions for where/who I should have this done by. Thx

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/28/16 07:19 AM

Also got the Vacuum booster restored and the master cylinder cap plated. Since the car had the incorrect wiper motor I was able to get the correct variable speed core and had that restored too.

Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/28/16 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By Keepat
Great job on your steering wheel! What did you do to replicate the texture?
Thanks
Pat

I would also like to know what you did to replicate the texture of the wheel once sanded down?
Thank you, Matt

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/29/16 12:31 AM

The fill material wasn't too wide on the rim so used coarse sandpaper while the putty was soft to give it some texture with a little depth. then lightly sand it down and it will bend in. Its not an exact match but you have to look close to see the difference. Anything was better than it was but if I find a good replacement I would change it out.
Posted By: wylde8

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/29/16 07:55 PM

Where did you get your parts plated? There's not many places that do that stuff anymore.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 09/30/16 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By wylde8
Where did you get your parts plated? There's not many places that do that stuff anymore.

Booster Dewey in Portland Oregon did the brake parts, The wiper motor was done by Stephan Fournier in Quebec CA.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 10/06/16 02:56 PM

Been working on the dash and I used PPG Duracryl Black Suede for the finish. After I cleaned the the dash I laid down some Acrylic primer and followed it with 6 coats of the Black Suede. It's beginning to look like a dash again but I need to send out the guage cluster for restore. I would like some suggestions for where/who I should have this done by. Thx

Sent my gauge cluster out to Auto Instruments. Waiting for it to come back. No complaints yet. Will let you know how the cluster turns out if you want.

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 10/06/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By 71rm23

Sent my gauge cluster out to Auto Instruments. Waiting for it to come back. No complaints yet. Will let you know how the cluster turns out if you want.

Yes I would appreciate that. They told me about a 3 month turnaround time. Did they give you a quote on cost yet?
thx
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 10/09/16 08:11 AM

Very cool find. Not in bad shape for a 45 year old toy.
Not trying to hijack, but would you mind measuring the location for the reverse light on the dash. I am acquiring the parts to put a 4 spd in my 71 and haven't found a manual one around here lately. You can post here or PM me. I will be following this thread for sure. Beep

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 10/17/16 06:34 AM

Here you go.

After I posted the pic I saw you couldn't read the measurements.
Vertical is 4.5 inches
Horizontal is 2 inches

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 10/18/16 04:40 PM

I got the steering column back today and it looks really nice. Replaced all the electrical parts and ignition cylinder with NOS parts including the coupler assembly. Completely refurbished and ready to go in now. Before pics are on page 3 of this thread.

Also working on rust holes in the front windshield frame. It has several holes in the bottom and top. Some pictures of the damage.

Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 11/09/16 05:58 AM

Thanks a million. I saved it to my file of things to do to the bird. Beep
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: 71 Roadrunner project - 05/08/17 05:03 AM

Nice, I never get into this forum, but stumbled upon it tonight looking for vacuum hose diagrams from my 71 air grabber.
If you have the trim on top of the doors-- Cant remember what they are called, they go right by the mirrors. Good luck finding the clips that hold them on. I have been waiting for r.t. specialties to make some for two years.. Same color car.. as mine.. 71 gtx.

Attached picture DSCF0353.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0450.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums