Moparts

And so it begins.... The elephant swap.

Posted By: MoparJunkie

And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/23/15 04:06 AM

Hey guys it's been a while. I reacquired my old green 70 Challenger with a shaker hood, 505 stroker, 4 speed, and a DANA 60. I've started the swap to the 472 hemi that Stanton Racing put together for me. I'm using Scumacher mounts and TTI 2 1/8" headers, so we'll see how this goes???? Looks like it's gonna be tight with the MP cast aluminum valve covers...Particularly on the passenger side shock tower and blower motor. Tune in til I get the trans bolted back in to see how the fitment shakes out... Especially with the shaker hood!!!
Here's some pics of the install process...

Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/24/15 06:02 PM

Good luck Greg.... It'll be nice when done. I just finished my install of a 426 Hemi into my Daytona...

Have fun.

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/24/15 06:08 PM

Thanks Troy... Gonna need it! Lol. I think the big stuff is done, but there are some fine adjustments left to do... Lol
Posted By: mickm

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/24/15 06:54 PM

looking at your throttle cable linkage, depending on the setup on the carb itself, you may need to modify the bracket that holds the throttle cable. to get the correct geometry, i ended up taking that stock (repop) bracket and cutting it and inserting a 1" or so piece to raise the hold down higher up.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/24/15 07:43 PM

That elephant looks good in there!

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/25/15 04:13 AM

Quote:

looking at your throttle cable linkage, depending on the setup on the carb itself, you may need to modify the bracket that holds the throttle cable. to get the correct geometry, i ended up taking that stock (repop) bracket and cutting it and inserting a 1" or so piece to raise the hold down higher up.

I had noticed that the cable was going to be tight and bound up. Hadn't really given it much more thought til you said this.... Guess I'll see what happens????

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/25/15 04:14 AM

Quote:

That elephant looks good in there!

I thought so too!
Posted By: Hemi_Jack

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/25/15 06:45 AM

Looking good!
On your carb return springs, the red is for the rear carb and the green is for the front carb. The rear spring attaches to the lower hole in the bracket, the upper hole is for the kickdown linkage return spring on the auto cars.

Attached picture 8470436-Rebuildsmall.jpg

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/25/15 08:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I had noticed that the cable was going to be tight and bound up. Hadn't really given it much more thought til you said this.... Guess I'll see what happens????

After further investigation... It's gonna work just fine.
Posted By: sixty9redgtx

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/26/15 02:37 AM

That HEMI looks sweet!
Posted By: mickm

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 03/26/15 10:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After further investigation... It's gonna work just fine.

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 04/03/15 01:21 PM

Just a quick update.... My Passon overdrive 4 speed has been shipped, so I should know very soon how these mounts are gonna line everything up...Or not?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Lol
Also, I had to swap out the cast valve covers. They were WAY too close to passenger shock tower, so i went with a set of stock repops. My Glen-Ray 956 radiator came in, and it's very NICE. I'll post pics this weekend of progress so far.

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 04/08/15 04:21 AM

Okay, let's try this again(thanks to the upgrade)... I have everything installed and.... The engine sits up maybe 1/2" at the most. I used a 4 ft level and this thing is spot on with the Schumacher mounts! I am very pleased with the results. The fan sits in the shroud great, but like I said they raised everything about a 1/2". Still haven't installed the shaker bubble but I've done some eyeballing and it's gonna be close. Some minor tinkering and it's off we go.... drive

Try to get more pics soon!

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 04/15/15 07:27 PM

Getting closer...

Really pleased with the fitment of everything. Really like the firecore wires Rick Gorski set me up with too!!! up

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 05/04/15 11:06 PM

Well, I've made her road worthy.... Just have to get the A/F issues figured out. Thanks to Sheldon for the ballpark setup on jets and metering rods. Just have to get those dialed in. I have some light load, and part throttle lean stumbling issues. Gonna go with stiffer springs and smaller metering rods to try and cure the lean conditions. Timing is at 18* initial and 14* mechanical all in by 3100 RPM to prevent pinging on the street... Wish me luck up
Again, this is my first hemi experience....
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 05/05/15 03:59 AM

Glad to hear it's running, it sounds lean all right. What colour top is on this car? I was looking at an FJ5, 4 speed U-code RT/SE near me a week ago that I was tempted to Hemi-up it had white roof and stripes, kind of a coincidence.

Sheldon

Re: And so it begins.... The elephant swap. - 05/05/15 04:22 AM

Sheldon, it is in fact white top and stripe... That is weird, however that seems to be a popular combination. whistling
© 2024 Moparts Forums