Moparts

'72 Challenger Saga

Posted By: rhamson

'72 Challenger Saga - 10/28/14 06:28 PM

Running low on funds but still have some sand so I am blasting the bottom, trunk, floors, engine compartment, jambs and window and roof channels. It was my intention to do it in the fall right now but the temperatures have been in the high 70"s and it is sure long and hot with my catalog sand blaster.

Attached picture 8314327-SandBlastingSaga150%Reduction.jpg
Posted By: EK2Runner

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 10/30/14 06:08 AM

Wow .. Your knee deep there . Nice job ! I see your in Md , where from ?

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 10/31/14 03:48 PM

Stevensville, Eastern Shore. The funds are the most inhibiting in this project but I press on thinking maybe they will increase with time. I have a Passon 5 speed on reserve hoping the funding will be all there when the time comes.
Posted By: EK2Runner

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 10/31/14 11:49 PM

Hagerstown here , other side of Frederick . I have a 73 Chally i picked up back in May , haven't started on it yet . I hear ya about the funds , been there done that .

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/03/14 07:12 PM

I have always hated the side marker lights that were just stuck onto the cars from these years. I got some '71 Roadrunner lights and inset them into the quarter panels with the front fenders to come soon when I get the main body of the sandblasting and bottom coating done. I discovered the drivers side quarter panel had a patch panel that was horribly done and filled with about a 1/2" of filler. I dug it out and leaded it in while I was doing the side markers.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/03/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

I have always hated the side marker lights that were just stuck onto the cars from these years. I got some '71 Roadrunner lights and inset them into the quarter panels with the front fenders to come soon when I get the main body of the sandblasting and bottom coating done. I discovered the drivers side quarter panel had a patch panel that was horribly done and filled with about a 1/2" of filler. I dug it out and leaded it in while I was doing the side markers.

Attached picture 8320192-RearParkingLight650%Reduction.jpg
Posted By: basketcase

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/03/14 09:15 PM

I like that! I agree with the stock lights, looks like an after thought.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/04/14 04:28 AM

Cool mod.

Sheldon
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/11/14 07:40 AM

I really like the custom lights! I'm doing some mods on my 74 (Project posted in this section) such as pulling in bumpers etc. May have to explore some light mods as well. Looking good!!

Scott

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/12/14 07:14 PM

Finally got some paint on the bottom, inside and trunk. I used POR15 and coated the window channels as well. I will use the POR15 primer so I can paint over the POR15 where I will be putting finish paint as well. It is then onto striping the rest of the paint on the body.

Attached picture 8329066-UndercoatingPOR1550%Reduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/12/14 07:15 PM

Here's a pic of the bottom.

Attached picture 8329069-UndercoatingPOR15250%Reduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/15/14 07:34 PM

I have a dilemma with some pitting I discovered on the roof. I started stripping it and sanded to metal and found that filler had infiltrated the pits to where I can't get it out without fear of sanding the metal too thin. The car from the fender tag had a white vinyl roof on it and I guess it percolated some rust under there. Is there a chemical to remove the rust other than a POR 15 remedy? Any thoughts?

Attached picture 8332056-RustPittingonRoof150%Reduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/15/14 07:37 PM

Another pic. I am worried if by leaving it may come back to bite me as bubbling later. The clowns that prepped and painted this car before I got it left a lot of rust around the windows that were already bubbling. There is no telltale signs of it on the roof and that has had finish paint on it for at least four years.

Attached picture 8332061-RustPittingonRoof250%Reduction.jpg
Posted By: upnover

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/15/14 09:44 PM

evaporust or rust mort for the roof. not sure what you would do to prep for paint on the rustmort, check into these two products, maybe someone more knowledgable will chime in

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/16/14 03:50 PM

Thanks. I have some on order.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/29/14 07:59 PM

Getting the rust completely gone for the epoxy. The roof was terribly pitted but I treated it and can get to the paint maybe this week. Next step is getting her back on her wheels.

Attached picture 8345511-SandingPriortoEpoxyPrimer2Reduction.jpg
Posted By: Keepat

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/30/14 12:04 AM

Ralph,
Last week I put two and two together, when I was looking at your thread and saw that you were on the Eastern shore of MD. I am the friend the guy (Alex) that you sold your first 72 challenger to. It's great seeing you make progress on your new 72 challenger and I look forward to watching your progress.
Pat

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 12/06/14 07:37 PM

I replaced the lower quarter panel on the passengers side but the drivers side had been replaced when I don't know. I want to seal these sections with POR15 and it is impossible to know what dirt is in this crevice I couldn't get to. I made a few tools to dig it out and am continuously pulling plain old dirt out of there. I need to get it clean enough to etch and apply the POR15. I made some tools that maybe some of you might want to make for the same dilemma.

Attached picture 8353198-ToolsforDirtRemoval3Reduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 12/06/14 07:38 PM

Another one.

Attached picture 8353201-ToolsforDirtRemovalReduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 12/06/14 07:39 PM

The results.

Attached picture 8353203-LowerQuarterPanelDirtReduction.jpg

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/08/15 11:04 PM

I am trying to put together the beginnings of my 440 for the Challenger and was wondering if anybody knew of a good machine shop and builder in the Maryland area. I want to make sure all the clearances and dimensions are correct for the engine. Rather than putting together a bunch of parts that might not work well together I want to be sure. I can assemble the engine and have in Hawaii and the west coast I don't know of anybody around here I could trust.
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/08/15 11:42 PM

Quote:

I am trying to put together the beginnings of my 440 for the Challenger and was wondering if anybody knew of a good machine shop and builder in the Maryland area. I want to make sure all the clearances and dimensions are correct for the engine. Rather than putting together a bunch of parts that might not work well together I want to be sure. I can assemble the engine and have in Hawaii and the west coast I don't know of anybody around here I could trust.

I hear you. I am in Rockville, MD and had a guy in Frederick build my 440. It is fine, but he has since done another friend's 383 and it ended up with the wrong piston set. Has like 8.5:1 compression and only pulls 10" of vacuum at idle as a stock rebuild. Total dog and admitted fault with apprentice tech. He was also looking at a local performance shop in Frederick to fix it but the shop is having issues getting him a quote. Let me know if you find anyone!

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/09/15 04:53 PM

Quote:

Ralph,

I have used CGM Motorsport in Millersville MD (410 766 7467) Nice shop and great people to work with. As with most machine shops plan ahead and be patient!
Good luck!
Pat

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/10/15 03:28 PM

Thanks Pat. You are the second person to recommend them. I am looking to mostly get the machine work done and checking measurements especially the valve train.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/13/15 03:15 PM

I have heard good things about Burtonsville Performance and there is a guy in Glen Rock, PA that is supposed to be tops.

Posted By: Merlin45

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 01/18/15 09:03 PM

I remember how fast the funds ran from my wallet when doing my 74 Challenger but she's done and I'm happy. Take a look, go to
www.hnhrodshop.com http://hnhrodshop.com/
click on "current projects" to see the work. Total new front clip and lots of body work (new drivers floor pan and firewall total redone). Then the paint job with the 440/6 freshly built. A thrill to drive and the looks never stop. Hang in there, it's worth the struggle.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 06/16/15 09:55 PM

Getting on with some rust repair. The theme of this car is becoming how many shortcuts does a shop take before it goes out of business. The guy I bought the car from got it from a guy who ran out of money and had a quicky hack job done on it to sell it. They painted over the rust on the fenders without fixing it behind the light buckets. So it is left for me to do it over.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 06/17/15 12:13 AM

Ralph it's good to hear you're back with an update but how about some pictures of the progress?
Pat

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 07/10/15 10:07 PM

Yeah I am pretty much done with this new format on here. Impossible to share pictures. My computer skills are not up to this. I am telling everyone to go to the Cuda-challenger forum if you want to see my progress. Thanks.

Maybe I will see you in Carlisle tomorrow?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 07/11/15 03:06 AM

Yup Moparts is pretty much finished. Cuda Challenger is a great place for E-body discussion without the drama.

Sheldon

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 11/30/16 08:02 PM

Anybody know of a good frame shop in Maryland specifically the Eastern Shore? I have had nothing but stories and delays that have delayed me over two months now. Talking with one guy he seems to have a different concept of where points will go when the frame is put back into position. The other guy I have been talking to wants all the sheet metal back on the car. I suppose this is to watch panel gaps. But if I assemble the metal to fit it will change and not show him a thing if the frame is still bent. The car looks like it went into a ditch on the front passenger side which when measured with a laser level shows it is up by 3/4". You can see the bend in the rail under the front passenger floor. I need someone who can get it back to spec before I continue.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 12/02/16 06:48 PM

Ralph,
Check with Southern Body Works in Harwood MD. John the owner is a Mopar guy! and knows E body's!
Pat

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 12/03/16 03:43 PM

I tried him from Alexs' suggestion. He can't do it. I tried somebody he recommended but have run into 3 months of delays and am not sure if the guy understands what I need done. Anybody else?

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/04/17 05:12 PM

I finally bent the frame back myself. First I had to get an accurate measurement where the bend was by setting a level table under the car.
[image]

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/04/17 05:14 PM

Next I set up three 2x12 under the length of the car to where I could secure it at the back and place a cradle in the front with a 20 ton bottle jack.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/04/17 05:19 PM

Here is the custom cradle I used to pull the frame rail down.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/04/17 05:22 PM

Adjusting the panel gaps.

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/04/17 05:25 PM

on to the nastiness and endless sanding.
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/05/17 12:19 AM

interesting choice, you are using 71 Plymouth side markers.

Much better than the 72 and up cheesy factory surface mount ones.

isn't blocking a JOY

Re: '72 Challenger Saga - 05/05/17 02:18 AM

Ralph,
Great progress!! very cool frame tool :-)
Pat
© 2024 Moparts Forums