Moparts

Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert

Posted By: 440PURSUIT

Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 04:23 AM

Original Owner 69 340 GTS Auto Convert. First on the ad and bought it today! Hopefully pics post!

Attached picture 7483755-InGarage.jpg

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 04:51 AM

Car checked out as real GTS. Very nice son of original owner clearing out Dads Estate. Bought new at LP Stewart in DC and was in same garage in Downtown Washington, DC since new!

Attached picture 7483812-GTSFront(2).jpg

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:00 AM

Car is complete and has some cool vintage Race Stickers from Capitol adn 7580 from 60's-70's.
They also used this car to tow their 63 Fury to track.

Florida tag is mine to legitimize using my tow subscription. Came in handy today since dually is in FL.

Attached picture 7483826-Rearb4Tow.jpg

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:10 AM

Checked it out today and it should run tomorrow. Has buildsheet, fender tag.
Engine is 70 340 w J Heads and 69 P Code 727.
Drained muck in the pan, air broomed all, checked electrical and got spark today. Ran out of time, though.
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:16 AM

SWEET

Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:31 AM

Great score.

Sheldon
Posted By: 19cuda73

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:35 AM

Nice find!!! keep us posted and pictures coming
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 05:40 AM

Awesome!! Congrats!!! Saw the post yesterday & while I was skeptical it was well worth checking out.. Glad it was real..
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 09:46 AM

Was this the one for 2500? Wow, good for you.

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 02:58 PM

Yes it was. . Got a few extras too.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 03:34 PM

Quote:

Yes it was. . Got a few extras too.

Thief!
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Barn Find...Well Craigslist 69 GTS Convert - 12/01/12 03:39 PM

Dee Eye See Kay I saw that on a flatbed yesterday on the way home. I was wondering if it was going to Bonifant. So where is it going on the list of projects? ...
1. 65 Coronet Convert
2. 68 R/T Coronet
3. 68 Barracuda notch
4. 72 S/D Trans-Am
5. Dart GT rag top....?
Good score dude.

And It RUNS! Pretty good - 12/01/12 06:24 PM

Motor was tight and didnt have spark. Drained oil and had lumps coming out. Put a couple quarts of Kerosene in Oil pan overnight. Drained today and added new oil and flush. Also let cylinders soak in Marvels over night with plugs out.

Bad coil and condenser changed. Changed Plugs, too-had AC XLS-44 from store closeout.

Turkey baster always handy after Thanksgiving. Primed carb, but no pump shot. Down the hatch and fired up with a twist of distributor it was singing and pumped up lifters. Ran for about 10 mins w 40psi @ 2000 rpm.

We be pressure washing the crud now. Rust and sludge are flying! Will change oil and filter again.

Re: And It RUNS! Pretty good - 12/01/12 06:28 PM

You guessed right, Jeff! Full blown MADD still living here.

Good seeing you at St Peters Breakfast with Santa. Call me when youre done.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: And It RUNS! Pretty good - 12/01/12 09:10 PM

Jealous.. Cant believe people still find deals like this!

Re: And It RUNS! Pretty good - 12/01/12 09:26 PM

Quote:

Motor was tight and didnt have spark. Drained oil and had lumps coming out. Put a couple quarts of Kerosene in Oil pan overnight. Drained today and added new oil and flush. Also let cylinders soak in Marvels over night with plugs out.

Bad coil and condenser changed. Changed Plugs, too-had AC XLS-44 from store closeout.

Turkey baster always handy after Thanksgiving. Primed carb, but no pump shot. Down the hatch and fired up with a twist of distributor it was singing and pumped up lifters. Ran for about 10 mins w 40psi @ 2000 rpm.

We be pressure washing the crud now. Rust and sludge are flying! Will change oil and filter again.

Hey Chris you can always try the Rick Hunter method of engine clean out...start it up, bring the rpms up and turn the garden hose down the carb.... That'll make her nice and clean.
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: And It RUNS! Pretty good - 12/01/12 11:52 PM

Nice find, congrats on a great car!

Owner Info - 12/02/12 12:29 AM

I found the Owners Manual, and with it the Bill of Sale and Order Form which said "Ordered Car". Also a Dealer Stock Tag. Pretty Cool. Also Every DC registration clipped together.

On a Bad Note, I spoke to the owner son today about the original engine and trans. He said he had a DC trash hsuling company remove 3 340's and some 440's and a bunch of Trans'. I suspect the original engine was with that cache. Bummer.

Guy was busy getting house ready and stuff cleaned out. May change my approach a little if I want to color change.
Posted By: a12superbee

Re: Owner Info - 12/02/12 01:22 AM

Too bad about the trash man picking up the motors and such, maybe you can still track them down.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Owner Info - 12/02/12 02:00 AM

Get on that trail ASAFP you may still find them.

Great score! More pics please!!!!! Awesome to see there are still deals out there.
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Owner Info - 12/02/12 02:30 AM

Holy Crap man, great find. For those that don't know, DC seems to be hiding ALOT of cars.

I worked over in Chillum and within a few blocks there was a Notchback Barracuda in a yard, a 68 Dart 2-door sedan, and a 66 Newport original owner 4 door that the owner thought was gold.

Re: Owner Info - 12/02/12 06:15 AM

Bob Banning was on that side. They raced/won a lot and sold a lot. You're correct, that many Hi Perf Mopars were on those streets and in yards.

DC is more difficult to find cars since there are row houses with rear alley garages. City will tow anything not parked legally and/or without permits. Just like this one, the cars are rat holed out of sight. Many of those areas you don't want to be in, much less poke around.

The vehicle condition is fair. We're not talking about California cars since the streets are heavily salted in snow storms. Lower sheet metal and Rockers are always whooped.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Owner Info - 12/03/12 04:44 PM

Congrats. Great score. My GTS convertible hasn't had its original engine since around 1980 (we bought it in 1983). I don't let it bother me.

We did consider a green 69 around the same time, but passed because of the color...
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Owner Info - 12/03/12 05:33 PM

Great score indeed! I have a 69 F8 GTS convertible 4-speed car that I bought for $900 in 1995 and is still in the same shape as when I bought it. Had a 383 in place of the original 340 but trans was right. Get out there and find those trashed engines!
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Owner Info - 12/03/12 10:49 PM

awesome! pics please?

Re: Owner Info - 12/04/12 02:20 AM

Engines are heavy, so if ease of disposal was an issue those blocks could still be sitting around somewhere.

Don't give up... I just scored my Cuda's broadcast sheets and window sticker. I've owned the car since the mid-ninties

Engines - 12/04/12 03:01 AM

Doubt they will be locatable. Original Owners Son (Fairfax Co Police) is administrating the cleanoout. He eliminated the bulk metal a year ago. Some DC Trash guys saw him in the garage and said they could haul all. He said they were after the recycle weight. 3 340's/some 440's trans' and rears. OMG! Sounds bleak!

Neverhteless, we are still getting much stuff. Tools-Countless vintage and too many to mention.
His homebuilt tool kits for the track, sockets, ignition tools, some carbs, and distributors (340 Dual Point), Jacks, Jack Stands.

Lots of vintage trinkets- National Beer Bottle Openers adn Ballantine etc. We have one more trip to make.

First Drive - 12/04/12 03:16 AM

Car had no pump shot so I swapped an Eddy 625 donor carb. Had to rehab it , but it ran awesone. Warmed it up and removed my gas can supply. With the fuel bowl filled I loaded up my son and went up the driveway and around the circular drive. I was shocked at the response.

Got the the top of the driveway and had to do a powerbrake. Immediately started spinning and sliding sideways!
I let out and ran out of gas!

This thing will Rock.

Today I pulled the tank and got about 8 gallons on brown Stink out of the tank. However, tank was not scaley inside. I pulled the Sendeer and pressure washed in and out. Found a new sock on the shelf and will get her running on her own tomorrow.

Today we also drained the trans and adjusted the bands.

Reomved the tow hitch and assessed the brakes.... It had pedal but leaky cylinders.
Did a nice Rock Auto order to service the brakes. I coulda scabbed enough parts from my Cuda project but $150 got me all brake shoes/cylinders/hardware and hoses plus a set of shocks..WTF This thing will be driveable with little.
Posted By: 2fast4yourBrain

Re: First Drive - 12/04/12 04:21 PM

C'mon! MOre pics of this steal of the year!

Re: First Drive - 12/04/12 10:12 PM

Chris I have a new set of Gabriel gas shocks in the garage...

Re: First Drive - 12/05/12 04:05 AM

Damn Jeff. Ordered some shocks from
Rock. Stop by tomorrow on your way home from protecting the country.

Will post more pics.... Been working. Got it running on tank today, though.

Tom from Burtonsville and Shelton remember the car at Capitol. They both said the same thing "13.40, stone stock"!

order form - 12/05/12 04:24 AM

Pretty cool

Attached picture 7489613-IMG_20121204_225011.jpg

engine bay as found - 12/05/12 04:36 AM

Corvette air cleaner lid may defray some cost. Throw it on the shelf w the other Chevy freebies.

Attached picture 7489632-2012-11-30_13-45-22_246-1.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 05:31 AM

273 4-bbl valve covers too!
Posted By: big-block-dave

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 07:41 AM

Your one LUCKY DAWG!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE it!!!

Re: First Drive - 12/05/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

Damn Jeff. Ordered some shocks from
Rock. Stop by tomorrow on your way home from protecting the country.

Will post more pics.... Been working. Got it running on tank today, though.

Tom from Burtonsville and Shelton remember the car at Capitol. They both said the same thing "13.40, stone stock"!

Steve said the guy ran up at 75/80 in the early 90's. Said the car ran in the 13's. Can't swing by today...kids have stuff at 4. Maybe Thursday.
Posted By: RJS

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 05:31 PM

Quote:

Corvette air cleaner lid may defray some cost. Throw it on the shelf w the other Chevy freebies.

I may be wrong but isn't that a 66 Goat aircleaner?
Posted By: basketcase

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 06:29 PM

nice find
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 10:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I may be wrong but isn't that a 66 Goat aircleaner?

Posted By: DPelletier

Re: engine bay as found - 12/05/12 10:51 PM

anyhow, sorry to get

Dave
Posted By: OutlawX

Re: engine bay as found - 12/06/12 08:34 PM

Nice find!! I got one of those too!!! Had mine since 83 and just now gettin around to restoration. Another one on the road again. They are gettin scarce. Love to see some interior pics. Keep in touch, maybe we can help each other finding parts!

Re: engine bay as found - 12/07/12 02:25 PM

The tops are the same but the GTO unit had an Quadrajet base, and the Corvette unit had a Rodchester base.... sitting next to a GTO fanatic who was a GM mechanic for 42 years

Now get back on topic kids. More pictures of that GTS. I could use the motivation

Attached picture 7492673-Dart.jpg

Re: engine bay as found - 12/07/12 02:49 PM

In front of drivers Valve Cover notice the furnace blower fan to drive alternator at the track. Crafty way to reduce drag and still charge!

1 More box of brakes to arrive. Replacing all the broken motor mounts today, too..

Assessment of car:
Weak sheetmetal-Glad its a Dart!
Good frame and frame rails adn floors.
A solid builder that wont end up in Body Shop prison.

Chris

Re: engine bay as found - 12/09/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

In front of drivers Valve Cover notice the furnace blower fan to drive alternator at the track. Crafty way to reduce drag and still charge!

1 More box of brakes to arrive. Replacing all the broken motor mounts today, too..

Assessment of car:

Chris

you need to learn how to do body work if you are going to keep buying these cars..

This is WRONG...but another windfall :) - 12/11/12 02:37 AM

I saw this but it finally registered.....

WOW...

Attached picture 7497888-956.jpg

Update... - 12/11/12 02:43 AM

Had front drums cut today as they were still "in". Installed all Rock Auto brake hardware.
Threw an electronic ignition on off the run in stand from my 69 318 "magnum" head swap.
Tuned and timed and changed coil to a pertronix.
The motor sounds fuel injected now its running so well!

Can't wait to finally drive it after minimal rehab.

Re: Update... - 12/11/12 03:18 PM

cool period sticker

Attached picture 7498450-hustleStuff.jpg

Maiden Voyage - 12/11/12 11:59 PM

Took it up to get gas. Radials front/Bias ply rear.

Didn't risk anything on first shakedown so went easy. Nevertheless, ran, drove, stopped and made it back home. Pumped in 10 Gallons of Sunoco 93. Power was decent.

Got some rear end noise and a clunky U joint. Some front end vibration.

Attached picture 7499144-Dartgas.jpg.jpg
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Maiden Voyage - 12/12/12 04:10 AM

Great find...
Posted By: p d'ro

Re: Maiden Voyage - 12/12/12 04:26 AM

Nice. Hope to see it around. I am in Rockville. Is it a keeper, or are you going to make a quick dime??

Re: Maiden Voyage - 12/12/12 04:47 AM

I intend to keep it. 1 of 214 is pretty rare. Dart will be a less costly resto than other B Bodies I have.
Posted By: sogtx

Re: engine bay as found - 12/12/12 12:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Assessment of car:

Chris

you need to learn how to do body work if you are going to keep buying these cars..

dont restore that car , it looks like it just needs more buffing !
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: engine bay as found - 12/14/12 06:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assessment of car:

Chris

I agree.. Totally cool !!

Re: engine bay as found - 12/14/12 04:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Assessment of car:

Chris

I agree.. Totally cool !!

pictures are way better than real life. It's a nice car, but the 1/4's and rockers are whooped. It has a decent amount of small dents as well. It's a good resto platform.
Posted By: 70440+6bbl

Re: This is WRONG...but another windfall :) - 12/15/12 12:14 AM

Quote:

I saw this but it finally registered.....

WOW...

Awesome, that will pay for a large chunk of the Dart!!!

Re: This is WRONG...but another windfall :) - 12/30/12 07:28 PM

Scored a set of clean doors in Savannah traveling back from FL. Accumulation has begun.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Maiden Voyage - 12/30/12 08:11 PM

Quote:

Took it up to get gas. Radials front/Bias ply rear.

Didn't risk anything on first shakedown so went easy. Nevertheless, ran, drove, stopped and made it back home. Pumped in 10 Gallons of Sunoco 93. Power was decent.

Got some rear end noise and a clunky U joint. Some front end vibration.

Posted By: JDMopar

Re: This is WRONG...but another windfall :) - 12/31/12 03:11 AM

Nice find! I had a 340 GTS conv. that I dragged out of the weeds back in the 80's, and it was the same color scheme. The people I got it from had tried to replace the 340 with a slant 6, and couldn't figure out why the bellhousing wouldn't bolt up! I bought it for $50, and ended up trading it for a set of 15" Rallye wheels complete with NOS rings and caps! Some dude drove all the way from Minnesota to get it, and towed it back on a tow dolly. The quarters were rusty, but otherwise it wasn't too bad. Congrats on your find!
© 2024 Moparts Forums