Moparts

1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR"

Posted By: dmoore

1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 12:59 AM

Thought I would share a few words and pics of my latest obsession.....I purchased this amazing original condition low mileage
1972 340 Duster back in August. Special ordered on March 21, 1972 by the original owner through Glover Chrysler Plymouth
of Asheville N.C. with a scheduled production date of April 19th 1972. The car arrived April 26th and began it's well cared for
and pampered life in Asheville at the hands of an extremely diligent and fussy owner. For the next 22 years this car led a life
of luxury few cars seldom see. In the spring of 1994 with only a scant 27,000 miles owner and car parted ways and it was time
for a new "caretaker" to carry on the life the Duster was accustomed to. Several owners later, and a 7 year stint in the Floyd
Garrett Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville, Tn. it was time for the Formal Black Duster to once again search out a new home.
Purchased by a prominent collector in White Plains, N.Y. on April 28th of this year the Duster would only remain in his
possession for approx 3 months after which time yours truly noticed it for sale on the www. Unable to pass up a 72 in
this condition & originality I knew exactly who the next caretaker was going to be.

This car continues to retain 100% of it's original Formal Black factory applied hue along with 100% of it's factory black bucket
seat interior. Originally ordered with the V5X body side moldings, these were removed by owner two in favor of the
more aggressive 340 stripes w/callouts. Options are as follows, auto 727 transmission, power assisted front disk brakes,
electronic ignition, upgraded bucket seat interior/carpet, rally road wheels with RWL Goodyear polyglas E-70 14 tires,
factory undercoat w/hood insulation pad, 2 watt AM radio & of course the aformentioned body side moldings.
The factory original front headpipes are still in place and are in very good condition. The original factory exhaust tips
were replaced in 1994 with a set of NOS that continue to show as new.

Documentation includes the buyers order, invoice with trade-in, 3 build sheets, (sheet under drivers seat still there),
consumer information sheet, 22 years of N.C safety inspection records with mileage recorded, Chrysler Plymouth owners club
card, owners manual, warranty booklet & numerous early photo's of car and original owner.

With only 35,272 miles logged and the over the top care this car has experienced it has to be one of if not the highest
"Survivor" quality 340 Duster's in existence and is a prime candidate for use as a restoration reference. Only 1.6% of Plymouth Duster's and Valiant's in 1972 were painted in TX9 (Formal Black). The least popular color.......

My how things have changed!

Hope you guys/gals enjoy the pics and info....

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 01:26 AM

Very nice! The only thing I'd change would be getting rid of the white stripe in lou of a black stripe. My first instinct would be side moldings but since they are gone I'd just go with the black stripe.

Soooooooo nice that the engine doesn't appear to have been painted! Now I need a bazillion detail photos with the air cleaner removed please!
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 01:32 AM

I am truly amazed at how you keep finding these Duster survivors! That is beautiful!! As usual more pics please!

Can you focus your survivor radar on looking for a 70 Swinger 340 for me in few months?
Posted By: Three40

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 01:36 AM

WOW!!! dmoore. I thought how could you top the Lemon Twist 72 Duster 340 you had.Then you did just that and bought the super sweet White 72 Duster 340. Now you have topped that with this absolutely gorgeous Formal Black 72 Duster 340!!! Two thumbs up bud I love the 72s as well and that car is stunning.It is amazing to see someone took such great care of that car and did not beat it into the ground like most Duster 340s of the day were. Keep the pictures coming and congrats on a truly remarkable car.
Posted By: Va58

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 01:51 AM

As nice of a 72 as you will ever find. Went over this car in length last weekend. The pictures just don't do it justice...
Posted By: RJS

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 01:51 AM

Quote:

Very nice! The only thing I'd change would be getting rid of the white stripe in lou of a black stripe. My first instinct would be side moldings but since they are gone I'd just go with the black stripe.

Soooooooo nice that the engine doesn't appear to have been painted! Now I need a bazillion detail photos with the air cleaner removed please!

I was agreeing with you Scott butt...
That picture of back in the day is the ONLY way to go too cool!!!!
Posted By: 340wedge

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:12 AM

Yikes, that one's nice!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:39 AM

Thanks guys! A truly phenominal car in every respect...Scott you need to fly out here with several camera's! There are details all over this car! I will have the car on my lift for the first time this week but I can tell you the original shocks front and rear are still in place...more undercar pics to follow
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 03:52 AM

Nice car Dave! I remember seeing it around town when I was a kid. There was another NICE black 72 340 Duster around here with white interior. I put a lot of groceries in the white interior car when I worked as a sacking technician at Ingles. Sad story on what happened to that one, so I won't post it here. Again, congrats on finding such a nice Duster.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 04:27 AM

Gorgeous: I'm getting old, I prefer the moldings too.

Sheldon
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 05:05 AM

Quote:

Gorgeous: I'm getting old, I prefer the moldings too.

Sheldon

Dave, you must have been holding back on us at Carlisle in July? Congratulations? If it was mine, I wouldn't change the stripe or anything at this point. Even if you could remove it with no paint damage, where would you get NOS chrome trim? I think just having the documentation for the cars history is good enough unless you have strong feelings about restoring it? The car looks great!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:11 PM

Hey John! Honest, I had no clue of things to come back in July Timing is everything! Changing the stripe at this point is not an option of course....restoring it? Surely you jest
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:22 PM

Dave I dont know how you keep finding these survivor 72 dusters. Very very nice car!!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:23 PM

Thanks Brent! I'll see what I can do.......how's that beautiful 71 com'n?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 02:36 PM

Quote:

Dave I dont know how you keep finding these survivor 72 dusters. Very very nice car!!

Hey Ryan It's definitely not easy but I'm gett'n better at it! Ha! Here's to a warm Maine winter

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 03:07 PM

Dmoore, any chance that youv'e upgraded or changed any parts on that car? Like maybe the fuel filter, battery, etc?
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 04:12 PM

This the same car Gary Garren used to have ?

And why is the fuel filter before the pump and not after in the line between the pump and the carb ?
Is the steel line all hard line pump to carb ?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 04:15 PM

That reminds me.....Is the grille molded in black or grey plastic?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

Dmoore, any chance that youv'e upgraded or changed any parts on that car? Like maybe the fuel filter, battery, etc?

Scott, I replaced the aftermarket plastic fuel filter with a restoration piece from Dante...the only other item I replaced was the voltage reg of which it had one of those silver after market units. Of course the battery is not original....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 06:17 PM

Quote:

And why is the fuel filter before the pump and not after in the line between the pump and the carb ?

Yes it is, Gary owned the car 3 times actually....the fuel filter is before the pump because that is where they were originally....71's were after of course....and yes the original one piece steel line is correct for 72.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 11:28 PM

Quote:

Hey John! Honest, I had no clue of things to come back in July Timing is everything! Changing the stripe at this point is not an option of course....restoring it? Surely you jest

By restore I meant only to remove the stripes and restore the chrome trim that I believe is intended to prevent door dings...but I definitely was not implying you should consider doing any such thing. Enjoy.
Posted By: 79machocharger

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/10/12 11:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hey Ryan It's definitely not easy but I'm gett'n better at it! Ha! Here's to a warm Maine winter

Lol, I agree you getting better at it. I'm hoping for another winter like last year when I drove my car up till December.
Again very nice duster, hope to see it at Carlisle next year. I've got my eyes on a duster that would look really nice next to yours under the survivor tent, we'll see how that works out.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 04:35 AM

Oh yeah? That sounds great! Keep me posted

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 04:57 AM

Quote:

Scott you need to fly out here with several camera's! There are details all over this car! I will have the car on my lift for the first time this week but I can tell you the original shocks front and rear are still in place...more

Don't think for a second that the thought hasn't crossed my mind

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 05:14 AM

Grey Scott..........
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 02:33 PM

Did Ted Stephens used to own that car too?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 05:47 PM

Yes he did....he had it on loan to Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum for 7 years.....
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/11/12 05:58 PM

dmoore

Did you buy a white 72 340 Duster out of Battle Creek Michigan a short while back?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 01:15 AM

Yes, Over a year ago.........

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 04:18 AM

Quote:

Yes he did....he had it on loan to Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum for 7 years.....

I thought so. When he bought that red on red survivor Duster after the Spring Fling in California he told me the black one was for sale, glad it went to a good place!
Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 04:47 AM

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Daty

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 12:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I thought so. When he bought that red on red survivor Duster after the Spring Fling in California he told me the black one was for sale, glad it went to a good place!

Thanks! What year is the red one?
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 02:20 PM

Sweet! How would you remove the side moulding without leaving holes or pins behind? I do not know how it attaches on Duster's.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 05:04 PM

In 72 they were adhesive backed and easily removed without harming the finish....
Posted By: hemi4speed

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/12/12 06:59 PM

Nice!!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/13/12 04:06 AM

I was trying to dig up pictures of the car, I believe it was a 70 and I talked with the original owner. I am sure Steve Wahl who runs the Spring Fling should have some pics and info.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/13/12 04:34 AM

The red on red car is a 1970 for sure
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/13/12 08:22 PM

Wow !!!!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/13/12 11:53 PM

Quote:

The red on red car is a 1970 for sure

I believe I have seen that car somewhere....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/14/12 12:57 PM

Ok, I was mistaken on the total percentage of black cars in my earlier statement......according to www.hamtramck-historical.com the 1.6% number only includes Valiant and Duster....but is the lowest percentage shown. Black is not even shown on the color paint chip charts

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/15/12 02:10 AM

Waits patiently for more pics....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/16/12 08:56 PM

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 02:31 AM

Let me be the first to thank you Dmoore for posting the pics on these low mileage, survivor cars, personally i savor every detail. I have a question on the ceramic resistor on the wiper motor, was that painted over by the factory or is that undercoating? Thanks again..

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 03:57 AM

Keep the pictures coming!! Man that car is georgeous!! I could spend hours looking over that car at a show.

Can I make a picture request?
1) One that shows the top of the grille & the headlight bezel mounting fastener

2) Where the engine to firewall ground goes. Looks like the wiper motor to??
Posted By: Airgrabber

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 05:28 AM

Congratulations! Your Dusters are most definately the cream of the crop!
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 05:31 AM

Great photos, great car.

Sheldon
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 06:03 AM

Quote:

I was trying to dig up pictures of the car, I believe it was a 70 and I talked with the original owner. I am sure Steve Wahl who runs the Spring Fling should have some pics and info.

Red on Red car was in MCG magazine. I think the article showed the owner had bought NOS door panels worrying that his would fade or wear out.

Attached picture 7382474-ShowFF020039.JPG

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 01:55 PM

Quote:

Let me be the first to thank you Dmoore for posting the pics on these low mileage, survivor cars, personally i savor every detail. I have a question on the ceramic resistor on the wiper motor, was that painted over by the factory or is that undercoating? Thanks again..

The complete wiper motor assy was painted on this particular car to include the resistor and the copper & brass I.D. tags unlike the yellow & white cars. I'm not sure why at this point...

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 02:10 PM

Another interesting detail, of course not worthy of replication would be a slight mis-calculation of the relief holes made into the carpet at the drivers side location by the mfg...you can see the relief cut at the rear which is way outboard of the desired location and the same with forward but with the hole a little bit bigger...Interestingly enough there are body plugs at each location.......oooops!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 02:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Red on Red car was in MCG magazine. I think the article showed the owner had bought NOS door panels worrying that his would fade or wear out.

Thanks for posting autoxcuda, would you know which issue?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 02:17 PM

Thanks for the great pics Dave! Can you remove some speculation on my part and list as many the items that you can confirm as having been either replaced, restored, repainted, or retouched?

I see a few areas that raise questions and using your pics for future reference I'd like to weed out any misconceptions.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 05:49 PM

Scott, The radiator was recently restored by Bob over at Glen-Ray, The T'quad was rebuilt in the early nineties, I replaced the voltage reg with a date coded piece, Mopar restoration spark plug wires, fuel filter, battery was replaced roughly 3-4 years ago, the original water pump was rebuilt early nineties along with cork type valve cover gaskets and I believe the ignition module was replaced but cannot verify that.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 05:51 PM

Cool, how about the ink stamps on the hoses?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 06:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The complete wiper motor assy was painted on this particular car to include the resistor and the copper & brass I.D. tags unlike the yellow & white cars. I'm not sure why at this point...

Looks like the nuts holding it on were as well tells me it was repainted along the lines somewhere by someone

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 11:09 PM

Quote:

Cool, how about the ink stamps on the hoses?

Factory original hoses...and last I knew no one is reproducing that top hose....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/17/12 11:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like the nuts holding it on were as well tells me it was repainted along the lines somewhere by someone

I have talked to ALL owners of this car and know one has painted anything.....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 07:07 PM

Quote:

Waits patiently for more pics....

Careful what you wish for

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 07:31 PM

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 07:39 PM

Do your leaf springs appear to be painted black? If so were the leaves painted individually or was the entire pack painted at once?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 08:02 PM

They are black Scott....And appear to have been painted as a unit..

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 08:42 PM

Can you take a really good shot of each complete muffler square on, as well as another shot of the stamped numbers close up, straight on?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/18/12 11:51 PM

Scott, The mufflers & tail pipes were replaced a few years ago.....sorry to disappoint!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/19/12 12:01 AM

This is the detail that did it for me....the blue dipped tension spring on the warm up valve shaft...incredible!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/19/12 05:47 PM

Quote:

Keep the pictures coming!! Man that car is georgeous!! I could spend hours looking over that car at a show.

No problem Brent...passenger side

Drivers side......

Ground connection radiator support near battery...

Wiper ground detail.....

If you need anything else just ask

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/19/12 06:00 PM

Quote:

This is the detail that did it for me....the blue dipped tension spring on the warm up valve shaft...incredible!

No, not dipped, just dripping with paint. It was painted along with the engine and exhaust manifolds, being suspended a bit in mid air away from the high heat it didn't durn off like all the paint surrounding it.

Any chance some of your suspension parts were painted over in black, as if to detail them? What color (black paint or natural metal) are the following:

Tie rod sleeves
pitman arm
idler arm
tie rod ends
strut rods
upper a-arms
lower control arms
steering box

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/19/12 10:20 PM

Quote:

The torque converter, flex plate, and bolt all look to be painted light blue.

Is that the same light blue engine color? I've recently seen something similar to this on a 69 340.

Was the motor painted with the torque coverter installed?

Just wondering how the torque got installed in order of the engine assembly operations.

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No, not dipped, just dripping with paint. It was painted along with the engine and exhaust manifolds, being suspended a bit in mid air away from the high heat it didn't durn off like all the paint surrounding it.

Any chance some of your suspension parts were painted over in black, as if to detail them? What color (black paint or natural metal) are the following:

Tie rod sleeves
pitman arm
idler arm
tie rod ends
strut rods
upper a-arms
lower control arms
steering box

I have talked to all owners & no one at any time painted or touched-up anything.....and...I have found no evidence that they were wrong...phenomenal car that's had phenomenal care.

Tie rod sleeves Natural
pitman arm Natural
idler arm Natural
tie rod ends Natural
strut rods Painted black
upper a-arms Natural
lower control arms Painted black
steering box Natural (alum)

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The torque converter, flex plate, and bolt all look to be painted light blue.

Is that the same light blue engine color? I've recently seen something similar to this on a 69 340.

Was the motor painted with the torque coverter installed?

Just wondering how the torque got installed in order of the engine assembly operations.

Yes, it is the same color as engine which was standard fare...It had to be painted prior to installation.....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 05:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, it is the same color as engine which was standard fare...It had to be painted prior to installation.....

Could you get this spray pattern below if you painted the flex plate and torque converter installed.

Attached picture 7386895-69Swinger4_7_2012pic91_77.JPG

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 01:33 PM

Are you asking or telling?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 01:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tie rod sleeves
pitman arm
idler arm
tie rod ends
strut rods
upper a-arms
lower control arms
steering box

I have talked to all owners & no one at any time painted or touched-up anything.....and...I have found no evidence that they were wrong...phenomenal car that's had phenomenal care.

Tie rod sleeves Natural
pitman arm Natural
idler arm Natural
tie rod ends Natural
strut rods Painted black
upper a-arms Natural
lower control arms Painted black
steering box Natural (alum)

Scott I made a mistake on the tie rod sleeves, they were painted black, sleeves only!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/20/12 01:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The complete wiper motor assy was painted on this particular car to include the resistor and the copper & brass I.D. tags unlike the yellow & white cars. I'm not sure why at this point...Note the wide undercoat treatment around the blower motor/wiper holes.

Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/21/12 03:45 AM

Fabulous looking car Dave, wow!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/21/12 01:00 PM

Thanks for the pics, even though they all help!
What re your plans with this Duster? Drive it, Keep it, race it

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/21/12 06:14 PM

Thanks Bill! How's the Cuda?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/21/12 06:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pics, even though they all help!
What re your plans with this Duster? Drive it, Keep it, race it

Your certainly welcome! And, yes, yes & Noooooooooooooo!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/21/12 11:48 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bill! How's the Cuda?

I emailed you some pics...

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/22/12 03:32 PM

Quote:

Are you asking or telling?

Asking.

In your picture the torque converter, flex plate, and bolt are all blue.

Did that get painted blue at the same time? I'd think that would mean it was installed on the engine. But was there a different process? Did that not actually get painted together?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/23/12 04:01 PM

Steve, I can only guess the flex plate & converter were shot after being installed on the engine...would make more sense...explains why there was spotty coverage in some area's.....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/23/12 07:34 PM

Quote:

Brent, This shows the single ground wire between the wiper motor and blower motor....

Posted By: mattsmopars

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/23/12 11:42 PM

Congrats David on your new 72 duster addition. You have a great ability to find some very nice survivor dusters!
Matt

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 09/24/12 05:42 PM

Thanks Matt....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/19/12 06:58 PM

Finally got the car cleaned up

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/21/12 03:28 AM

Car looks fabulous!!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/24/12 04:34 AM

New show board on the way thanks to Jeff over at www.strongkeepsakeimages.com

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/24/12 04:48 AM

Nice sign , I have to ask what is upgraded carpet on a Duster? I don't think i've head of it except upgrading carpet over rubber floor..

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/24/12 05:08 AM

When the upgraded seating was chosen you got the plusher carpeting in lieu of the 80/20 loop style...it's sorta like a straight rayon.....And what's kind of strange is that the carpet mfg at the time up in N.Y. relief cut the mounting holes for both buckets and bench seating...the bench mounting studs were a lil wider apart...I think I showed that in one of my photo's..I'll look.....D

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/24/12 01:23 PM

Very Cool, Thank you, I wonder if that was by error or design to save $$ on tooking costs

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/24/12 01:39 PM

A cost saving measure no doubt.....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/26/12 06:01 PM

Drivers side.......

Passenger side.....

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/26/12 06:08 PM

Check out this special clip to secure the neutral safety switch harness to the trans......you NEVER find these after 40+ years!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/27/12 03:55 AM

Please feel free to post more odd detail pics!

How does it drive compared to the other two you've had? Man that car is nice!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/27/12 01:40 PM

Brent, Given the inherent nature of the polyglas tires they all three drove & tracked really nice,of course the alignment on all three was spot on..

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 10/28/12 07:59 PM

Some of you "older' guys may remember these..and some of you may have never seen one at all....they are pretty dam rare these days with this one being the only one I have seen for over 40 years.....Chrysler Plymouth issued one with every new car in 1972 keeping in line with the "Clean up America" campaign of the day.......

Posted By: mopar383

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 11/24/12 05:30 AM

Love it !!!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 11/17/13 06:38 AM

http://www.adoramapix.com/app/showbook/GStunkard/book/mooreDuster/
Posted By: DusterDude73

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 06/11/14 04:09 AM

Hello, Your Duster is Beautiful!!! I have a 1973 Duster 340 AC car I want to sell but im new to this website and don't know where to post it?Can you give me any advise? I would appreciate it! Thanks! Kevin 412-916-6026
Posted By: dangina

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 06/11/14 01:48 PM

very cool car!!! I just picked up my own rare oddity 340, auto petty blue with tombstone front seats and rear folding seats

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 06/16/14 05:43 AM

Thanks Kevin...email sent...........D
Posted By: KnuckleDuster

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 12/29/14 08:33 AM

Quote:

Nice car Dave! I remember seeing it around town when I was a kid. There was another NICE black 72 340 Duster around here with white interior. I put a lot of groceries in the white interior car when I worked as a sacking technician at Ingles. Sad story on what happened to that one, so I won't post it here. Again, congrats on finding such a nice Duster.

I would be very interested to hear the story about the white interior car, as mine was TX9 with white interior bought out of North Georgia and I have limited info on it. Thanks!

Wow!
Super nice car Dave! Wish mine still looked like that!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 12/29/14 10:43 PM

I have that little clip like the one you showed on the trans harness and the litter bag with my 72 Satellite Sebring Plus. Even with 100K miles it was very untouched. Had to do paint and interior so it isn't a "survivor" but the originally with bolts and clips etc... was very refreshing.
Ron

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/05/15 06:04 AM

Thanks Ty!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/05/15 06:06 AM

Quote:

I have that little clip like the one you showed on the trans harness and the litter bag with my 72 Satellite Sebring Plus. Even with 100K miles it was very untouched. Had to do paint and interior so it isn't a "survivor" but the originally with bolts and clips etc... was very refreshing.
Ron

Indeed!

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/05/15 08:31 PM

When I look at those shots of your paint it really wakes up the memory of how Mopars looked back in the day. The shine is there but you know it has peel, very cool!
Unfortunately that aspect is lost on my Satellite now. I have deep shine and gloss but the paint is flat.
Ron

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/08/15 03:34 PM

Ron there is one rather large run on the passenger side lower portion of the door that you can only see at the right angle...and runs off of the length of each rocker...this car got an enormous amount of paint given how well this car was taken care of (waxed very often) removing a layer each time...there are NO thin spots what so ever

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/08/15 04:07 PM

Is this by chance the black Duster Gary Garren used to own ?

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 01/09/15 02:14 AM

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" [Re: ScottSmith_Harms]
#7373046 - Mon Sep 10 2012 10:12 AM
Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

Yep....still the same one

Re: 1972 FORMAL BLACK 340 DUSTER "SURVIVOR" - 05/19/18 04:54 AM

Original fuel line & filter location are correct for 72......
© 2024 Moparts Forums