Moparts

383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods

Posted By: VITC_GTX

383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/19/24 04:23 AM

I have a few sets of 383, 413 and 440 original pistons/rods (1965 - 1971). I've been hanging on to them for years because I hated to throw them away.

What do you guys do with yours? Does anyone buy these?
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/19/24 06:30 PM

I might be interested in the 413 pistons depending on what they are.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/19/24 10:05 PM

I have 7 383 blocks and short blocks plus 10 cranks with numerous sets of rods and pistons and tried to sell them as a package and can't get $1000. Not interested in selling them one at a time, but I have never had luck selling rods and pistons by themselves, 440 parts are a bit easier, but still takes a while... twocents
Posted By: rarefish

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/20/24 01:05 AM

About 10 years ago I scrapped about 250 B and RB pistons and rods because trying to sell them was just too difficult at the time.
The pictures are just a small sample of went to the metal scrappers.

Attached picture 100_2095.JPG
Attached picture 100_2097.JPG
Posted By: MadMopars

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/20/24 03:57 AM

If you have a set of standard bore 1970 or possibly earlier for a 440, I may be interested. work
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/20/24 12:59 PM

you could do what i did with my mod motor mustang parts.
i have a friend who modded Shelby GT 500 mod motors. a common upgrade when making 1000+ rwhp is to upgrade the rods and pistons.
needless to say i had almost 20 sets of rods and pistons. the stock pistons were a somewhat easy sale. the few that didn't sell i scrapped for aluminum. the rods were impossible to sell.

so i did a craft thing with the rods. i made mail box posts with them.
i found a close to proper sized pipe for the big ends. then bolted 2 rods together with the pipe. then found conduit close to the small ends. connected 2 rods together this way and welded them together.. gave everything a coat of krylon silver and was done. took them to Iola swap and sold 8 mail box posts for $50 each in about 1 hr.

or another idea is to make small end table legs with them. then get a glass top for the table. basically take 2 rod and piston sets. attach with pipe at the big end. attach 2 of these together to form a X for 1 side leg. make a matching set for the other side. give the legs a paint job. fix the pistons on the pins at the proper angles and shazam you just made a cool looking end table that might sell for $100+. that probably cost about $30 to make.

i am sure there are other things you could make with them. use your creativity and have some fun with it. you might even make a few $$$ doing so as a bonus.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/20/24 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr T2U
you could do what i did with my mod motor mustang parts.
i have a friend who modded Shelby GT 500 mod motors. a common upgrade when making 1000+ rwhp is to upgrade the rods and pistons.
needless to say i had almost 20 sets of rods and pistons. the stock pistons were a somewhat easy sale. the few that didn't sell i scrapped for aluminum. the rods were impossible to sell.

so i did a craft thing with the rods. i made mail box posts with them.
i found a close to proper sized pipe for the big ends. then bolted 2 rods together with the pipe. then found conduit close to the small ends. connected 2 rods together this way and welded them together.. gave everything a coat of krylon silver and was done. took them to Iola swap and sold 8 mail box posts for $50 each in about 1 hr.

or another idea is to make small end table legs with them. then get a glass top for the table. basically take 2 rod and piston sets. attach with pipe at the big end. attach 2 of these together to form a X for 1 side leg. make a matching set for the other side. give the legs a paint job. fix the pistons on the pins at the proper angles and shazam you just made a cool looking end table that might sell for $100+. that probably cost about $30 to make.

i am sure there are other things you could make with them. use your creativity and have some fun with it. you might even make a few $$$ doing so as a bonus.

You know the drill, PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! biggrin
Posted By: moparx

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/20/24 08:51 PM

kinda what i did years ago when there was the secret santa deal............ biggrin
beer

Attached picture PC200001.JPG
Attached picture PC200008.JPG
Attached picture PC200003.JPG
Attached picture PC200004.JPG
Posted By: cdp

Re: 383/440 Pistons and Connecting Rods - 01/24/24 01:48 AM

I know its a real PITA to sell, give, or even sometimes throw them away. But if you do have some 68/69 383 pistons with +.005 above deck compression height, I'd be interested in a matched set.
© 2024 Moparts Forums