Moparts

GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn?

Posted By: migsBIG

GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/13/24 06:27 AM

This car was just wrecked over the summer. Insurance company booked it as a salvage with possibility of a rebuildable title. Bidding went far beyond what usable parts value was at. Will someone fix it, use it for parts or retitle another body?

https://www.copart.com/lot/72330573...=watchlist&utm_content=vehicle_image

Attached picture 9991.jpg
Attached picture 9992.jpg
Attached picture 9993.jpg
Attached picture 9990.jpg
Posted By: sogtx

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/13/24 11:29 AM

Ouch !
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/13/24 01:32 PM

What did it sell for.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/13/24 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN
What did it sell for.

Million dollar question.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/13/24 10:02 PM

Now thats a vin to watch out for eek

Let's see graveyard cars fix that drinking purple drive
Posted By: NTOLERANCE

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/14/24 02:56 PM

Saw a few different postings on the sold price, found a before photo from a 2016 auction

Attached picture 31C79B79-C65E-421F-A6BA-09D012D9E2CC.jpeg
Attached picture 51D84BD5-A85F-4AA2-B89E-B50CB32F14AA.jpeg
Posted By: moparx

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/14/24 06:23 PM

i bought a 68 GTX, same color, same options, from the original owner who bought the car new from the Chrysler/Plymouth dealership on main street here.
car had minimal street miles, then was converted to local 1/8th mile strip use.
the original owner beat on it, i bought it and REALLY beat on it, then a local kid pestered me and pestered me to buy the car.
i finally had enough of that, so i put a ridiculous price on the car [i forget what it was, but if i remember right, it was three times what i paid for the car, minus the slicks, american 5 spoke wheels, 5.38 gears, and the CH4B intake and carb.]
danged if he didn't fork over the cash !
the car sat in his mom's back yard for years and years, then disappeared.
the car surfaced only about a couple of months back, it seems to have been in his mom's garage all this time.
i need to get time to go look at it !
someone said it looks to be as nice as it was when he bought it from me. that was over 45+ years ago !
beer
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/14/24 08:00 PM

The selling price doesn't seem too bad for it. I don't know if you'd make a lot parting it out but there looks to be enough there if someone needed under hood stuff or dash parts and other misc pieces.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/14/24 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by NTOLERANCE
Saw a few different postings on the sold price, found a before photo from a 2016 auction

Thanks for posting that. Guy had a bid in with bidders commission, Copart fees, taxes and transport was roughly $5130 total Inspection on car showed initial usable parts:

Sheetmetal/exterior trim: Wing Windows, ps hood scoop, three body emblems, misc side markers/lenses, wiper arms, windshield front trim.

Interior: driver side seat, complete dash assembly, doom light housing, automatic console parts.

Chassie, drivetrain: two wheels, front lower control arms, steering box, booster assembly, engine assembly.

All the specific parts to that model were destroyed in the wreck, leaving just basic components that were usable. Priced separately, the parts would exceed auction final costs barely and would not be worth the time for such a small profit. I'm sure this car will be seen again.
Posted By: Jer

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/15/24 11:40 PM

I think 5K is reasonable for that. It looks to have been well done prior to the accidents so it was probably sorted out and ran good. If I had a GTX that I was rebuilding to near-stock (not restored), I'd happily pay that for it.

On the other hand, I have seen some mighty impressive work come from Russia, Lithuania and Finland. Apparently, they are fearless over there when it comes to rebuilding totaled wrecks.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/15/24 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jer

On the other hand, I have seen some mighty impressive work come from Russia, Lithuania and Finland. Apparently, they are fearless over there when it comes to rebuilding totaled wrecks.

they are famous and feared because they assemble bad accudent modern cars, too. And then sell them to the rest in europe

Carsten
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jer
I think 5K is reasonable for that. It looks to have been well done prior to the accidents so it was probably sorted out and ran good. If I had a GTX that I was rebuilding to near-stock (not restored), I'd happily pay that for it.

The “impressive “ work they do on modern cars is some of the hackiest work you’ll ever see.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 03:34 PM

Someone would jack up the numbers and drive something lesser under that .

They say it was a rollover , it looks like it got driven into from the rear at a high rate of speed and pushed into a pole/tree , I hope no one was sitting in it ...

Attached picture 68gtxouch.jpg

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 03:50 PM

Interior: driver side seat, complete dash assembly, doom light housing, automatic console parts.

Almost all are junk? shruggy
Posted By: Redbird

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 05:07 PM

It does have the doom light housing.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by JohnRR
Someone would jack up the numbers and drive something lesser under that .

They say it was a rollover , it looks like it got driven into from the rear at a high rate of speed and pushed into a pole/tree , I hope no one was sitting in it ...

There was, John. There's a thread on the accident here somewhere, and I believe the owner is a member here. If I'm not mistaken, no major injuries...to include the back seat passenger. shock
They were certainly blessed on that day...

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 07:29 PM

I think the accident involving a member was a 69 Charger. Rear end was similarly damaged, though maybe not quite as severe as this GTX. IIRC, the car went overseas and was "fixed."
Posted By: Droop69

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 08:58 PM

Part it out and scrap the rest!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 09:53 PM

Results of the passengers injuries. https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...sacramento-hagen-park-show.278112/page-4
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 10:17 PM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...609/68-gtx-rear-ended-in-california.html
Posted By: topside

Re: GTX: Rebuild or Re-VIn? - 01/16/24 10:20 PM

Pains me to see that car.
I have $5.00 that says that VIN eventually re-surfaces on another body.
I hope I'm wrong, but...
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

RS23L8A337793 - It's dead - 01/16/24 11:43 PM

Part & send it to the crusher to finish the job. (scrap steel prices are up right now too)

RS23L8A337793 is dead.
© 2024 Moparts Forums