Moparts

WIW for guitar people

Posted By: 6PAX

WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 01:12 PM

I want to sell my guitar, amp and related stuff as I never learned how to play the guitar and at my age I know I never will. I bought this Fender Stratocaster (Mex) in October of 1991 along with the Fender Jam amp and the accessories. My wife bought me the Morley distortion /wah pedal and Sabine tuner that Christmas. I have no idea what to ask for this stuff as I looked up guitars on CL and the prices are all over the place. This stuff is like new for being over 30 years old. I tried on and off to learn how to play for a few months back then and just didn't have the dedication to put in the time to learn. It's all been sitting in my closet ever since and now I just want it out of the way. Opinions on value (as a package for everything) are appreciated. Included are:

Fender standard Mex Stratocaster with soft case and strap
Fender Jam amp
Morley distortion/wah pedal model SLDW
Sabine electronic tuner
Stand
2 chords
A few extra strings
Picks
Capo
Slide
All original owner's manuals are included.

Attached picture Fender.JPG
Attached picture Fender2.JPG
Attached picture Fender4.JPG
Attached picture Fender6.JPG
Posted By: wmdj5

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 01:36 PM

Since this stuff really looks new;
Fender standard Mex Stratocaster with soft case and strap $550 to $460. Since yours looks new I would ask $600.
Fender Jam amp $125-64, New condition ask $150
Morley distortion/wah pedal model SLDW $50-80

Sabine electronic tuner, 2 chords, A few extra strings, Picks, Capo, Slide, All original owner's manuals are included. Not much value on peripherals
I would include these with the guitar to try to get to $600.

Best place to check prices on music gear is Reverb.com
They also show what similar models have sold for in the past.
For the total package I would ask $830 and take $700
Will sell easily around Christmas!
Just my opinion.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 03:11 PM

I see it has a maple fretboard. I like those a bit better than the rosewood fretboard. up
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 04:46 PM

Sorry but I don't think there is any way he'd get $700 for the package. Realistically I'd say $450-500. No offense but it's cheaper stuff. I think you'd be doing OK to get $450-500 or so for the guitar and everything else would basically be thrown in. If the guitar was black, red or blue maybe a few bucks more but turquoise is a tougher sell. Plus, a MIM Strat is generally about 1/4 - 1/3 the value of a US version. That amp has no real value, maybe $50 if someone wanted it bad enough. Might be good for a starter package like the O.P. bought it for but no one is paying top dollar for it.
Posted By: wmdj5

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 05:57 PM

Agreed, it's a Mexican, but a Mexican from '91 is still WAY better than some of the Indonesian junk they are selling today.
And it is a Fender not a Squire.
It looked like Lake Placid Blue?
Everything looks to be in mint condition, that should help.

Yep, I think at $450 to 500 it would sell quickly.

It's a killer starter package. Some of the cheap stuff these days is just cruel to give to a beginner.
Good luck!

up
Posted By: Bob Stinson

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by wmdj5

Agreed, it's a Mexican, but a Mexican from '91 is still WAY better than some of the Indonesian junk they are selling today.
And it is a Fender not a Squire.
It looked like Lake Placid Blue?
Everything looks to be in mint condition, that should help.

Yep, I think at $450 to 500 it would sell quickly.

It's a killer starter package. Some of the cheap stuff these days is just cruel to give to a beginner.
Good luck!

up

It looks like metalflake to me

I've got a 10 years newer Mexican standard that had a MSRP of $527.99

Here's a comparable, that's been for sale since June
https://strat-talk.com/threads/500-...-midnight-blue-w-maple-fretboard.603394/

Do you want to sell it, or do you want to sit on it and answer questions?

Mexican Fenders don't bring much money.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 09:58 PM

Anybody "Jonesing" for that Guitar?
Posted By: 6PAX

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/08/23 11:44 PM

"If the guitar was black, red or blue maybe a few bucks more but turquoise is a tougher sell."

It's blue, not turquoise and it's not metal flake..
Posted By: topside

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/09/23 12:44 AM

I suppose the OP could check Ebay "completed items", list the whole setup with a reserve, and see what happens.
As for Mexican built, a luthier can tell you how well it plays, and that's the most important...
Decades ago, when I was playing bass - Rick 4001 Stereo & '56 P-Bass - I had a chance to play an Ibanez bass that belonged to Billy Club of the Dickies.
He'd literally bought it from Guitar Center because it was a basic inexpensive deal, basically a P-Bass knock-off.
The thing played beautifully - in all honesty it made me look good laugh2 - and had great sound.
I tried forever to buy the thing, but it got sold off when I wasn't paying attention.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/09/23 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Anybody "Jonesing" for that Guitar?

laugh2 I'm a Telecaster man myself.
As for WIW, it's a great starter package for a Christmas gift, I would agree with the $450-$500 price. I haven't priced them lately but I think you can get a Squire starter package for a little less and they aren't really bad guitars with a little setup work.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/09/23 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 6PAX
"If the guitar was black, red or blue maybe a few bucks more but turquoise is a tougher sell."

Sorry. looks turquoise on my screen. shruggy
Posted By: stumpy

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/09/23 08:18 PM

iagree Mine too but the strap looks very blue.
Posted By: ink

Re: WIW for guitar people - 08/09/23 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by RMCHRGR
Originally Posted by 6PAX

Sorry. looks turquoise on my screen. shruggy
Dodge calls it blue. Plymouth calls it Turquoise. I think that where the confusion may bee ???
© 2024 Moparts Forums