Moparts

'71 HEMI-Demon

Posted By: lakerism

'71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 04:11 PM

Interesting but pricy work

https://classiccarmarketing.net/1971DodgeDemonBlkRedKT.htm
Posted By: stumpy

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 04:17 PM

There is a big commission tacked on to the owners price.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 04:22 PM

I like it. Never seen one with red interior... I understand the look they were going for... sinister black and red. I'm curious as to why they didn't use a Dana axle with the Hemi, instead of an 8 3/4 in this pricey build?
Posted By: BigBlockGTS

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 05:37 PM

I like it too. Tasteful and not overdone but I like sleeper style builds. I agree that the asking price is just too strong for what it is.
Posted By: topside

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 06:01 PM

Love the concept and most of the execution.
The AC and 8.75 seem to indicate more of a cruising purpose.
A member here built a similar Demon years ago - a top-notch car, too - that I always liked.
This one's a lot more $$ than what he was asking for his, but that was a few years ago.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 09:26 PM

Nice car! I also love the sleeper look. Nice interior to contrast the exterior. Only thing I don't like is the shifter.

Wonder how it handles with all that weight up front on this light-ish car.

I don't think $85k is outrageous asking price for so much car.

Attached picture 1971DodgeDemonBlkRedKT-front1.jpg
Attached picture 1971DodgeDemonBlkRedKT-seats.jpg
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 10:06 PM

Awesome car. Agree about the shifter. Interior is a little too red for my liking, would rather have black door uppers/dash/column/wheel, but I sure as heck wouldn't turn it down over that.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlockGTS
I like it too. Tasteful and not overdone but I like sleeper style builds. I agree that the asking price is just too strong for what it is.

Try building a hemi car like that.

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 11:04 PM

I'd bet there could easily be $85,000 in a build like that nowadays - plus the time, right ? - so in that context, I understand the pricing.
Those Cheetah shifters - I've used them in my drag cars - are intuitive, and not a problem for me.
Not stock-appearing, for sure - console AT setup would be sneakier, and would work fine.
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Awesome car. Agree about the shifter. Interior is a little too red for my liking, would rather have black door uppers/dash/column/wheel, but I sure as heck wouldn't turn it down over that.

I like the shifter, have one in my car. The command center is a great place to mount my water pump, fuel pump, fan switches, etc. Nice tidy setup.

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/18/23 11:11 PM

I have no doubt it's a great shifter. I just don't care for the look. I can't think of a single floor-mount aftermarket shifter for an auto that I like, that doesn't look out of place.
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/19/23 03:58 AM

I can't think of a single floor-mount aftermarket shifter for an auto that I like, that doesn't look out of place.

iagree

If this was my build, I would have done a console with a pistol grip lever (iconic - IMO). Maybe using red or black grips to keep with the red/black theme?
Posted By: VS29H0B

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/19/23 05:00 PM

Love the look of this Demon and the aftermarket floor mounted shift does look out of place. I recently considered buying a factory 1970 Duster 340 that was modded extensively including the addition of a B + M floor mounted shift. I like the factory clean stock look of the 1970 Duster 340 -not overdone with graphics and stripes / call outs. I could not get past the mods on a factory 340 car so I stepped away - owner has receipts exceeding 50k in mods - ultimately sold for 20k. Car had a 408 BPE small block, aftermarket Corbeau front seats, a different K member, and aftermarket exhaust + headers + aftermarket wheels + aftermarket discs and a Dana 60 out back with discs.... Green on green car -if he started all the mods on a /6 or 318 car I can understand that, but modding a solid factory 340 car just seemed wrong.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/19/23 06:44 PM

Sharp looking car.
Posted By: TJP

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 02:20 AM

Several things I would've done differently but definitely a nice build and somewhat tempting. Certainly couldn't buy the parts for the ask, drool
Wonder what the actual owner would take for it drool
I'm guessing the fee would be 10-20%? at -20% it just might be in my garage whistling drool

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 02:31 AM

I have no doubt it's a great shifter. I just don't care for the look. I can't think of a single floor-mount aftermarket shifter for an auto that I like, that doesn't look out of place.

iagree

I'm column shift all the way with auto's and it would add even more to the "Sleeper look" twocents
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 03:31 AM

My '71 Demon is an original 426 car (from the factory).

I know it's hard to believe, but it's true. The last three numbers of the VIN are 426 grin
Posted By: Kidsixpack

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 03:34 AM

seriously great looking car!
KID
Posted By: nuthinbutmopar

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 05:13 PM

I've got a preference for black body/red interior cars. I can handle the shifter, but the red steering wheel just bothers me every time I look at the pictures...

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/20/23 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
I've got a preference for black body/red interior cars. I can handle the shifter, but the red steering wheel just bothers me every time I look at the pictures...
Yeah, the wheel color jumped out on me too and a sort of tuff wheel (repro) on that car didn't look right but I figured at least it's a Mopar thing. The shifter just looks so out of place IMO. I understand it's a good one, but I would much prefer something more factory appearing.
Posted By: ProStock1320

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
Yeah, the wheel color jumped out on me too and a sort of tuff wheel (repro) on that car didn't look right but I figured at least it's a Mopar thing...

Maybe they don't have black steering wheels in SoCal?
Posted By: Neil

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 12:19 AM

I like it for the most part. Needs white letter tires and the twin scoops. Maybe a go-wing possibly too.

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
I like it for the most part. Needs white white letter tires and the twin scoops. Maybe a go-wing possibly too.

How to ruin this car in 3 easy steps. panic

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 01:47 AM

Tell you guys what: just because I'm a caring individual, and I'd like to make you happy, pool your money together and get this thing for me.
I'll fix the shifter, even change the steering wheel. grin
I'll even get back to y'all with its ET & MPH !
Ain't no way I'd put the boy-racer stuff on it, though; sorry, Neil... wave
Posted By: Neil

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 01:57 AM

Factory painted steel or rallye wheels without white letter tires on 1970 and up cars should be a Mopar felony. argue

Flat hood =318 or slant 6. We can do better than that on this car, imo.

Wing is ok on some cars and not on others.

I think they made orange interiors in these also? Might be better than red? Red is ok, but on this car there is a lot of it.
Posted By: Greenwood

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/21/23 05:44 PM

I'd change two things. 15" Rally wheels, and add the 72-73 snorkle hood scoop.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/22/23 10:09 PM

This is super high quality and accurate Super Stock clone with super fresh restoration. Asking $85K. The guy in AZ get well over $100K for his clones and they aren't this nice.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...rs-for-sale-2nd-quarter.html#Post3146712

These aren't bad with aluminum heads and aluminum intake. I'd think weigh as much as stock 67-69 383 A-body motor with iron: heads, intake and cast exhaust.

We weighed that Hemi Barracuda clone above at 3250 lbs or so? Of course that one's got all the super stock light weight stuff on it.

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/23/23 12:04 AM

I could handle RWL tires, and twin scooped hood too but the wing I couldn't deal with.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/24/23 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by autoxcuda
This is super high quality and accurate Super Stock clone with super fresh restoration. Asking $85K. The guy in AZ get well over $100K for his clones and they aren't this nice.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...rs-for-sale-2nd-quarter.html#Post3146712

These aren't bad with aluminum heads and aluminum intake. I'd think weigh as much as stock 67-69 383 A-body motor with iron: heads, intake and cast exhaust.

We weighed that Hemi Barracuda clone above at 3250 lbs or so? Of course that one's got all the super stock light weight stuff on it.

I think Troys car is a knockout and if I could swing it. would own it in a heartbeat

I sold my yellow 66 yesterday and am now down to just one car. And I think I want to keep it at that, at least for now.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/24/23 04:49 PM

Every poser 70-s 318 car has that scoop. Like hooker boots in the 90s.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/26/23 03:23 AM

That car came from the Midwest, (Missouri I believe) and was bought by a guy in the northeast who was going to do a build on For A Bodies only, A buddy talked him out of the car, and started his build. Was a B5 car with blue cloth interior, non running locked up 318. That car was as nice of a rust-free and straight Demon as you could ever want. Stripped it completely apart. It has all of its original panels, other than the hood. It started out to be a multi carbureted 440, and I think we cut the hood for the carbs. The rear end was found in a deal that was all rebuilt and had all the triangulated four link setup with it. A new crate Hemi was found later, (and gone through) and the plan changed to go Hemi with the HDK suspension, to fit the Hemi under the stock hood. So it’s rack and pinion, PDB. Found a nice hood later. The interior in all red is very easy to get used to, designed to be in contrast to the black. The shifter, he had the same style in another car and liked it. But you could do a factory console, that’s easy. Hemi automatic with AC and power accessories, built to cruise, debuted at the Nats 5-6 years ago and was photographed that day and featured in Mopar magazine months later. Lots of nice details, and lots of new parts. Sold to California owner, and probably consigning it. It is a nice car.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/26/23 03:34 AM

Pic from the Nats, the year that the restoration of the Butch Leal MP Duster was done as well. Both cars (and more) were in the HDK tent that year. If you look close, you can see the flat black factory style side stripes.

Attached picture D496F9B6-05D0-42CB-A2FB-2737378F279B.jpeg

Re: '71 HEMI-Demon - 07/27/23 02:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I'd put a column shift in it, use a stock or factory looking steering wheel, maybe a few other minor changes and drive it beautiful car and appears very well done twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums