ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster

Posted by: NTOLERANCE

ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/08/18 10:08 PM

Looking at the sellers name - it’s still a moparts members car

https://www.racingjunk.com/Complete-Race-Cars/182250986/Ed-Hamburger-s-SS-IA-Duster.html
Posted by: topside

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/09/18 12:07 PM

Yes, it is. smile
Posted by: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/09/18 02:22 PM

Sellout! laugh2
Posted by: tallzag

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/09/18 04:41 PM

What does it look like now?
Posted by: bballfan1

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/09/18 06:30 PM

Pictures were below the original. If it still had original paint would be a lot cooler...no way anyone gives him close to that money..

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/09/18 06:55 PM

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/the-ed-hamburger-ss-ia-duster.402948/
Posted by: TJP

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/10/18 08:20 PM

iagree

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 12:32 AM

Opinions on which livery is "better" have always been divided, oddly enough.
Doing the original livery would be easy enough, since I know the colors, layout sizes, and what was decal/paint; I've thought about doing it but never really cared for that scheme. That and the spares would be open to discussion with a serious buyer.
As far as being cool...it was the first SS/IA in the 10s, a national event winner, lots of 340 parts were developed on that car, and it was Ed's very own car (the others owned by other guys, using Ed's came & scheme as essentially promotional team cars). In the world of 340 A-bodies, it's a pretty significant car, maybe the most, according to some people. There are lots of tricks in the car. I feel fortunate that I ended up with it, 24 years so far. I've had it on the rear bumper for 300 feet before adding the wheelie bars; pretty good for a footbrake car.
No worries whatever happens; might just take it 8 hours west of here and run it 1/8 mile, now that I'm retired & have a racer buddy out there.
Posted by: stumpy

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 01:14 PM

I like the new paint. up

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 04:45 PM

Bought a ton of parts from ed back in the day. Really cool car......not so sure that was the first I/A car in the 10's Dave Weber and Kent Ritter had an I/A car that was a lot faster than everyone else.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 05:40 PM

There were a few cars at the sharp end of that class - Bobby Warren being another - but I have it on pretty good authority from a team member & Natl Dragster.
Posted by: NTOLERANCE

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 06:17 PM

How many vintage historic drag cars are still putting the rear bumper on the pavement ???

I'm on the fence about the original paint. As cool as it was it's an odd scheme with the blue coming to a point on the left front and widening as it goes back.
So the left and right and front and back are all asymmetrical.
Messes with my OCD smile

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 08:24 PM

I'm not trying to start anything but I find it hard to believe that car could hang with the Ritter and Weber car.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/11/18 09:09 PM

Quote:
I'm on the fence about the original paint. As cool as it was it's an odd scheme with the blue coming to a point on the left front and widening as it goes back.

IMO the value of this car is it's heritage/historical significance so personal tastes and todays style preferences have no baring on it, it was originally raced that way so that's how it should be put back. Otherwise its no more special than any other 340 Duster race car.
Posted by: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 01:51 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Quote:

IMO the value of this car is it's heritage/historical significance so personal tastes and todays style preferences have no baring on it, it was originally raced that way so that's how it should be put back. Otherwise its no more special than any other 340 Duster race car.

IMO you are wrong Scott. The fact that this car IS THE car that belonged to, and was raced by Mr. Hamburger, (according to Topside) makes it a historical rare car in of itself.
Yes, it would be better if it had the original paint scheme and such,
but the current paint in no way detracts the significance or stature of the car itself. Yes you are right that the car's heritage and history
makes the car valuable, but different paint is not a deal breaker,
for me anyway. I like the car. twocents
Posted by: Iowan

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 07:49 AM

1 vote for a repaint back to Hamburgers colors.
Posted by: EV2Bird

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 08:00 AM

Repaint it.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 08:30 AM

definitely repaint it.............

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, it would be better if it had the original paint scheme and such,
but the current paint in no way detracts the significance or stature of the car itself. Yes you are right that the car's heritage and history
makes the car valuable, but different paint is not a deal breaker,

That's what I was trying to convey. Not saying it is no longer historically significant, just saying it would be MORE SO with the original "as raced" paint scheme.
Posted by: Mr T2U

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By ScottSmith_Harms
Quote:

i agree.
just like a original matching # hemi car with documentation compared to one without fender tags and build sheet and non original drive train.
Posted by: EV2Bird

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 09:00 AM

The majority of the older classic race cars of all brands are unique in the way that it shows the personal tastes of the builder/owner/driver and when that is changed so goes alot of the appeal imo.

They are one of a kind paint schemes or one of a small team.

Simply thats how we all remember them and thats what we want to see and some want to buy.

Even if its repaint, as long as its accurate, its good.

I think the current paint takes alot away from the current value as its no longer the package deal, looks and performance.
Posted by: bigdad

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 10:28 AM

Looks fine in the new paint , those high door bars would not pass tech at my track

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 12:13 PM

Interesting debate on the paint...appreciate the input.
Over the years I've compiled a several-inch-thick archive of this car, the other team cars, race entries & results, vintage pics, magazine articles, current info on the team cars...none have their original paint, though several have been repainted like the original team livery.
Maybe I should just have it wrapped, haha...
Big, I've never had a problem with the bars, even when I specifically ask; last tech guy I discussed it with checked it all out thoroughly and liked the workmanship. Heck, this car (& especially another one) stretched a few SS rules since new, guess it's a continuing tradition.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 12:17 PM

I'm sure its done well, just don't want a pipe that close to my noggin

I like the gray wheels here too

[img:center]https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/srp61210-jpg.1715150958/[/img]

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 12:20 PM

Door Sidebars, Swing Outs, and Rocker Bars

Both door sidebars and rocker bars must be constructed of the same 1 5/8-inch .118-inch thick mild steel as the main hoop and and forward down bars. The door bars are there to protect the driver in a side impact crash and must be welded to the main hoop. From the main hoop, it must pass in between the driver’s elbow and shoulder. There is no specific angle or point in which the forward side of the door bar must intersect, though it should weld to the forward bar near the bottom 6-inches

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 01:31 PM

Yup, I know - that's why I ask the tech guys. Frankly, it's a bit awkward getting in & out, but I figured I'd leave it Butler-style until it's a problem. Hate to cut on the thing.
Those are Motor Wheel Flys, off the Gapp & Roush "Taxi"; also have a Super Trick set.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 02:48 PM

yeah, they did it like that until people started bumping their melons on them ..

Locally here , that's going to get you a spectator pass but, sure understand not wanting to cut it
Posted by: tallzag

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 03:07 PM

Another vote here for the original livery. It has value because of the history and needs to look historical to get that. Would you paint a Herschel McGriff's Winston West Dodge Magnum race car back to those colors if it was Richard Petty's NASCAR Charger before that? Pretty sure you would go back to the STP paint scheme.
Posted by: stumpy

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 05:09 PM

There is an easy cure if you aren't a fan of the new paint. Buy it and repaint it. grin
Posted by: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 07:18 PM

repaint it...would this even be a debate if it was a Sox and Martin or Landy car? Granted, this isn't on that level but on a lesser scale.

Re: ED Hamburgers 346/360’s only duster - 03/12/18 09:40 PM

For the record I think the paint scheme (rather original vintage paint or recently repainted to the same scheme) would put the car into the same catagory desirability/value range wise although I think some hardcore guys would prefer and pay up for a car still retaining nice original vintage paint. If repainted to vintage and it had been several different schemes I'd choose the most well known or from when the car was in it's best performing/competitive years.