How do you price NOS parts?

Posted by: EV2Bird

How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 06:12 PM

Opinions wanted on how people price NOS parts.

Where does the logic come from?

Some smaller things go for 10x, 50x of when new but it seems when you get to bigger things it drops off.
Posted by: 44D6PAKCUDA

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 06:42 PM

I think the parts that either were "wear" items or parts that were under cars that got rusty are the hardest to find and the most expensive.Shocks,belts,hoses,exhaust parts.Where fenders,trunk floor,etc seem to be a fair share still around.
Posted by: formula_s

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 06:51 PM

I walk through the GL NOS tent and figure my parts are actually worth 2/3 of what they want. Not that anybody pays their prices, I've seen the same stuff there 2 years straight.
Posted by: floyd

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By formula_s
... the GL NOS tent....

AKA - “the tent of terror”

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 10:30 PM

More like 1/4 there prices.
Posted by: flypaper

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/07/17 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By floyd
... the GL NOS tent....

more like the look what i have tent
not worth wasting my time looking at museum pieces

being I'm one of the suckers out there who will dig deep for the crap
i can give you a idea of what it might sell for
whatcha got???
Posted by: rarefish

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/08/17 09:47 AM

... the GL NOS tent....

So true.... I think I have walked out of there with brain damage. So now I do not enter it anymore.
Posted by: Smhemi

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/08/17 06:36 PM

... the GL NOS tent....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1967-CHARGER-GTX-CORONET-WINDSHIELD-WASHER-BOTTLE-RESERVOIR-2809012/362171580517?epid=2245182381&hash=item54531bc065:g:YkYAAOSwy69Zuqz9&vxp=mtr
Posted by: Little Detroit

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/08/17 10:08 PM

higher than the last guy if it sold fast !
Posted by: QuickBpBp

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/09/17 11:50 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1967-...12/362171580517

Fixed...

Yeah as far as GLNOS. Carlisle is just a "parts show" for him. After Ron passed he got all those parts for free! They are priced to the moon. I understand they have value and are rare but at one point you don't need to retire off each individual part...

As far as pricing Nos pieces what I do is look at what others are asking, look at what others have sold for, Look at what good used ones sell for and if all else fails ask here and hopefully PH23Vo doesn't respond or someone like that where it's yours it's worthless and once is theirs it's gold..LOL
Posted by: Mopucky

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/09/17 12:01 PM

Plus S&H...
Posted by: 69Mannix

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/09/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
Opinions wanted on how people price NOS parts.

Where does the logic come from?

Some smaller things go for 10x, 50x of when new but it seems when you get to bigger things it drops off.

I feel it is if you really want to sell them or are just wanting to play glory to a hobby going south.
Posted by: schmitty

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/09/17 08:02 PM

The problem is not just buying the part. The big dealers such as Brad's Nos parts charge you 5x the real shipping price and that is on top of the well over priced part. How bad do you want it. I just hope karma shows up here!
Posted by: sixpacksteve

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/10/17 10:39 AM

You don't have to hope for karma, it comes naturally. just like Mr. Murphy. i believe the window for all the rare parts getting the Most money is starting to close. Hope i'm wrong. unless there's a barn find of a rare car and someone with real deep pockets. Who is going to spend the Stupid money?
Posted by: 65pacecar

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/10/17 11:45 AM

"Tent of Terror" Thats Great.
Posted by: Alaskan_TA

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/10/17 12:22 PM

Old used or NOS, price to sell.
Posted by: MuscleMopars

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/10/17 12:23 PM

Originally Posted By 65pacecar
"Tent of Terror" Thats Great.

Is the "Tent of Terror" a traveling show? If so, where. I would like to go through it sometime and feel the fear!

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/10/17 08:18 PM

NO sale at $6500, Im stunned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1970-1971-CUDA-CHARGER-CHALLENGER-ROAD-RUNNER-426-HEMI-P-B-BOOSTER/362178547139?hash=item5453860dc3:g:Y2kAAOSweZJaDJam&vxp=mtr
Posted by: 68KillerBee

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 12:46 AM

Really depends on where you’re selling it. Ebay is gonna get top dollar but you use 13% of it to pay ebay and PayPal. I price by what others are listed for, shoot to be the cheapest on ebay so they actuallymove. So many variables are present though as far as what it fits, if there is QUALITY reproduction piece like it out there, etc. I’ve sold very little at swap meets except to the guys that know the PN’s by heart, they’ll dig through and get good stuff. After 2 days at a good Mopar swap meet you’ll generally be stuck with undesirables. My first haul of NOS stuff I did really well on and sold a lot of it quickly at a swap, mostly bc I was unprepared/gave out good deals. You figure out pretty quick who is actually gonna use it and who is just looking to flip. It didn’t help that it was my first time selling at a swap or I would have stood my ground a little more on prices.
Posted by: ngpSatellite

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By EV2Bird
NO sale at $6500, Im stunned.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1970-1971-CUDA-CHARGER-CHALLENGER-ROAD-RUNNER-426-HEMI-P-B-BOOSTER/362178547139?hash=item5453860dc3:g:Y2kAAOSweZJaDJam&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1970-...R/362178547139?
Posted by: 70plymA34

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 06:19 PM

You could be in 2 situations with NOS or the even more sought after "Lunch Pail" assembly line stuff that came home with UAW employees back in the day.

First situation- You bought NOS 30+ years ago or longer and have sat on them like a 401K with the intent of using the parts. Those are the guys that cleaned out dealerships, estate sales, swap meets and got everything for decent prices when it was a more enjoyable hobby.

Second situation- You bought lots of NOS and Lunch Pail when everything muscle era skyrocketed and wonder how the hell am I going to get what I paid for this crap if it does not end up on a car. LOL...
Sadly I am in the second situation.
Posted by: bballfan1

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 06:34 PM

I just posted sheet metal on A body. Have had the stuff for 30 years. I tried to compare AMD prices and price fairly. For the guy who has a really nice car, I am sure the real stuff is what they would want. There is no way they could duplicate all the little ripples etc.from the factory. Just my opinion. Most guys are fine with 99 percent of people saying how perfect their car is. only about 1 percent have to have the best. In my opinion
Posted by: Frankenduster

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 09:43 PM

What is the "GL NOS" thing mean? I understand New Old Stock...
Posted by: QuickBpBp

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

Great Lakes....
Posted by: 68KillerBee

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/11/17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster

Imagine walking into a tent filled with desirable NOS parts. Now picture prices filled with undesirable prices (unless you're the seller).

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/12/17 08:45 AM

I bought several items from Ron Adair when he was still around, always higher than others but had some nice rare stuff and not totally out of line on some items compared to other big NOS vendors at the time; some stuff they have always been way too high on. Since he passed it has gotten a lot worse, you can't touch anything they have plus the guys aren't that pleasant to deal with anyway, but Ron really wasn't either. Ron had some of the rarest of the rare and a huge inventory, but he often made the prices at Mitchell's look like a blue light special compared to his prices.

I was at the Nats one year and a guy was entering his Hemi Roadrunner for OEM judging and needed the correct assembly line oil filter for the show, I remember him running to GLNOS to get one at the last minute to install for judging, always wondered what he paid for that one.

I remember another time at the Nats on a Sunday around 4:00 and a guys ballast resistor died and Frank was the only guy left that had one, I always figured that was one expensive resistor that day.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/12/17 09:52 AM

here some school for thought, if weren't for guys like Frank Mitchell and yes Ron Adair gathering tons of NOS parts where would you be right now?? well I can tell you wouldn't be watching GRAVEYARD CARS ON TV nor would there be a Mopar Nationals, or a Mopars @ Carlisle or countless other things and events that you may enjoy. Without their Keen insight and hobby interest you more than likely wouldn't be enjoying your hobby right now. they rescued litterly thousands of parts from being scraped on their dime and warehoused and cataloged them at their expense. This HOBBY or BUSSINESS is not unlike any other business of supply and demand. Where there is an unlimited supply generally means that something is still in great demand or still in production. on the other hand if production has stopped a limited supply is left to delete, now the manufacture lets it sit on the shelf for an undetermined amount of time and either deletes the stock known to most of us as NS1. then someone like Frank Mitchel or Ron Adair or J.C. Whiney steps up saves the inventory from the scarp yard . So now the part you need for your prize possession whether it be a mechanical or trim part is now available.
yes I do agree that some of those NOS parts are expensive but I haven't seen anyone shying away from the internet pricing or value on your car.
most of the cars that we all have collected or restored , all had a base price of approximately $2000.- $4000.00 dollars when new . if your car can increase in value why not the value of the correct NOS part that helps it retain its increased value.
Unfortunately its a bitter sweet pill that we have to swallow to have what we want. So maybe you could have a different school of thought about Frank Mitchell or Ron Adair or countless others that have at their expense kept our dreams alive. Jeff Johnson wrote a great article about Frank Mitchell several years ago ,I believe it was in MOPAR COLLECTERS GUIDE, I recommend you read that article . Just another school of thought.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/12/17 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By Little Detroit

here some school for thought, if weren't for guys like Frank Mitchell and yes Ron Adair gathering tons of NOS parts where would you be right now?? well I can tell you wouldn't be watching GRAVEYARD CARS ON TV nor would there be a Mopar Nationals, or a Mopars @ Carlisle or countless other things and events that you may enjoy. Without their Keen insight and hobby interest you more than likely wouldn't be enjoying your hobby right now. they rescued litterly thousands of parts from being scraped on their dime and warehoused and cataloged them at their expense. This HOBBY or BUSSINESS is not unlike any other business of supply and demand. Where there is an unlimited supply generally means that something is still in great demand or still in production. on the other hand if production has stopped a limited supply is left to delete, now the manufacture lets it sit on the shelf for an undetermined amount of time and either deletes the stock known to most of us as NS1. then someone like Frank Mitchel or Ron Adair or J.C. Whiney steps up saves the inventory from the scarp yard . So now the part you need for your prize possession whether it be a mechanical or trim part is now available.
yes I do agree that some of those NOS parts are expensive but I haven't seen anyone shying away from the internet pricing or value on your car.
most of the cars that we all have collected or restored , all had a base price of approximately $2000.- $4000.00 dollars when new . if your car can increase in value why not the value of the correct NOS part that helps it retain its increased value.
Unfortunately its a bitter sweet pill that we have to swallow to have what we want. So maybe you could have a different school of thought about Frank Mitchell or Ron Adair or countless others that have at their expense kept our dreams alive. Jeff Johnson wrote a great article about Frank Mitchell several years ago ,I believe it was in MOPAR COLLECTERS GUIDE, I recommend you read that article . Just another school of thought.

I agree with this, personally I got along with Frank M. really well and bought a ton of stuff from him, never really found his prices too bad, but you had to inspect the parts first. Same with Brad, I have bought a ton of stuff from him, always a good transaction, especially at the shows and I have cleaned out Nigel on most 65 C-Body NOS. Frank was one of the few guys beside Nigel to care enough about C-Body cars to save the parts, most of the NOS vendors would introduce NOS C-Body stuff to the dumpster, I bought a ton of 65 stuff from Frank too. I have bought from nearly every major and minor NOS supplier for A-B-C body parts and always grateful someone ran down the parts and took the risk on saving them. Frank said he started in the mid-70s after seeing the trend to restore/hot rod 55-57 Chevy's along with Corvettes and the Model A crowds, he thought if people restored those then they would go after the Mopars some day and started buying out dealers of old stock, I am sure the story is similar for Ron, Brad etc. As stated I bought a lot off Ron too, some reasonable, some high but he was the only game in town on some stuff. Tony is another good one for parts and I am happy that he is taking the risk to produce some nice reproductions for the hobby.

Frank also saved a lot of stuff from scrap yards including some small dies and tooling. He stayed in contact and greased the palms of some of the Michigan area scrap yards so they would call him if anything interesting came through, cars, tooling, engines, parts etc.
Posted by: 69x

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/21/17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By schmitty
The problem is not just buying the part. The big dealers such as Brad's Nos parts charge you 5x the real shipping price and that is on top of the well over priced part. How bad do you want it. I just hope karma shows up here!
I called up Brads one time looking for some NOS trim pieces, he said to call him back later after he made some calls, he found 1 of the 2 pieces I was looking for. and wanted $50 for shipping when it would cost $15 max to ship, thats just gouging people and its just plain wrong.
I made a few more calls and found one of the pieces, $60 less then what he wanted and shipping was $13. I am sure it was the same source he would have got it from to sell me.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/21/17 04:30 PM

GLNOS while they have rare parts, what they want for them is outrageous, I understand its great they have this stuff and saved it but if hardly anyone can afford it whats the point ? at their prices most of those parts dont move. I know one vender who says NEVER buy a part from them without seeing it in person first. I have heard many stories about them shipping what was not the buyer expected, usually a part in poor shape.
I went through the tent of terror once looking for a part and asked one of owners staff it they had it, that person went into the RV to find out and came back and said yes and told me the price. it was about 4 times higher then what I expected, I pretty much told them my thoughts and left. I found what I was looking for 2 years later, while it was a very rare part I paid 1/4 of what GLNOS wanted. I can see him making a profit but to want 4 times more then what it should be is just plain nuts. at his price I am sure hes still sitting on it. People like him make this hobby not so great, I found what I needed by just looking longer and harder. he is not the only person who has rare nos stuff.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/21/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By 69x
[quote=Little Detroit]
here some school for thought, if weren't for guys like Frank Mitchell and yes Ron Adair gathering tons of NOS parts where would you be right now??

please
the hero worship of these extortionists is realcrazy
they mean nothing to me
and they have nothing that i haven't found elsewhere
people make it like they have the only one on planet earth
i have no need to support their racket
and i never had a reason to.
let them hose some other sucker
i will leave that for the lazy that won't invest the time to search around for something laugh2

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/21/17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By flypaper
Originally Posted By 69x
[quote=Little Detroit]
here some school for thought, if weren't for guys like Frank Mitchell and yes Ron Adair gathering tons of NOS parts where would you be right now??

please
the hero worship of these extortionists is realcrazy
they mean nothing to me
and they have nothing that i haven't found elsewhere
people make it like they have the only one on planet earth
i have no need to support their racket
and i never had a reason to.
let them hose some other sucker
i will leave that for the lazy that won't invest the time to search around for something laugh2
Amen Brother

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 12:44 AM

well I ll tell you how it really is. like it or not the real truth or facts are as follows. first by your comments , I can see that its all about you . you have no respect for anyone or anything else other than yourself, everything you complain about is the price you have to pay to purchase the part you need to repair or restore your dream. face it its a 50 year old vehicle! what I AM SURE OF IS THAT YOU HAVE NO CONCEPT OR THE ABILITY TO CONSEVE WHAT IS LIKE TO BE IN BUSSINESS. its all about you and what you have to pay to keep your dream alive. another thing im sure of is that you have not considered what it takes or costs to do what Frank Mitchel , Ron Adair, Ben Snowbar ,Terry McCann, Nigel mills , Ron Fellowock, Mark Headrick,Dale Tuel, Wayne Brewer , Jim Krammer and countless others who have save ,bought or purchased tons of nos or used sheet metal and mechanical parts to help keep your dream alive. they did not spend their hard earned money to save all of those nos or used parts just for them selves, but for the hobby. all to recapture a part of their youth or the dream of their youth and yes your dream . they as well as my self were from a different generation where we all shared our most memorable experiences of life as we were growing up.
as time went on and youth became adulthood and the realization of expenses became apparent and a business plan came into play. not every player got the same deal or has the same expenses to buy, store ,catalogue or reproduce any of the parts that you may need for your project.
so before you pass judgment on those that help keep your dream alive maybe just maybe you might think of what others have to do to preserve your dream. if you cant afford it then either sell it or find a way to make it happen, but have a little respect for those whom came before you and preserved the opportunity you have to OWN A MOPAR.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 08:06 AM

Well LD I myself tend to fully agree with paper and 69x posts above, and its ironic two of the names you posted above are on my ebay listings at times like vultures on a carcass and sorta what prompted me to write this in the first place.

So here is a view from a car guy, not a businessman, at least not in the parts/resto area.

You dont think hobbyists have huge stashes of parts, well many do including myself. Ive a 72X30 building simply full of parts.

Im sitting here looking at a stack of some things id like to list on ebay but true to form certain guys in the "business" as you put it will be messaging me asking me to call them so they can 2x,3x,4x,5x my parts with nearly zero effort.

So I block alot of buyers in the "business". But I feel your being pretty critical on some because they think different then you do as well flys opinion is a bit harsh but whats the difference if your getting it from behind except one guy is smiling, thanking you for your business or just saying here it is, buy it or not, the fact remains your still getting it from behind.

My parts take the same space, same amount of heating and cooling to keep them in good shape, I just dont try to pay my bills off my parts stash.

Ive no personal beef with the guys in the "business" but there are guys in the hobby who try to keep things as low cost as possible.

I watch alot, even the parts sold on here, like the al connecting rods sold for $150 about three weeks ago, now on ebay for $500, or the ebay listing I sold five of the same interior items for $75 for all, to a name you posted above who told me on the phone as I just listen... "I like to have a few extra around" now priced and selling at $89 per.

So this dream you mention still goes on for many without the downside of supporting another ones lively hood but keeping things in a realistic realm so many can enjoy the hobby vs only the ones with real deep pockets.

Hell, many will brag how little they paid for some when chrysler dumped this or that or this place closed, go figure, I got my stash the same way, next to nothing or pennies on the dollar. Or watching ebay for when the common man lists things at a normal fair price.

My best deals come from non mopar guys just trying to make a buck to support there hobby. But yet I follow one flipper out of Mass who simply and very openly buys off ebay and every single item is at least 2x of what was a fair price and thats great, but I block that guy to, I want my stuff to sell to the end user. And im not saying its wrong wither.

I very much respect your view on things but there is another side of it I feel your overlooking. If our parts had to only come from some of who you listed above imo there would be far less guys in the hobby with nice cars because it would only be for a select group with a certain amount disposable income.

Many look at moparts are the rich mans, purist site but if youd visit other sites like fabo for example you seem many many many more projects that are truly reflective of the mopar hobby not the "show field".

Now the greed from some is overflowing as really alot of the good but not all nos parts have long since dried up, crap youd not see people peddle 15 years ago is now top dollar items for some that alot of the times is new but already needs restored or fixed. So many put in the disclaimer "Nos parts are not perfect" well mine are I just never sold them to be used up.

I see incomplete parts packages where a dealer needed one part from an assembly, old parts put back in the mopar box and shelved, wire harness where they only needed a light socket, cut off and put back in the box...just crap and some pushed by a name you posted above.

At times they even slip up and let a good part go through too cheap because we all know some mopar parts were service items, or assemblies under a broad part number. I snatched up a wire harness I needed for a nice $175 then the seller realized what it was and his second one still sits listed at $450.

So I guess my point is, the hobby guy CAN build nice cars if he is on no schedule and can hunt parts, the guy who takes his car to a pro resto shop cant do that, there are timelines ect. so they are forced to goto places and pay the high end of the scale for the same part. And so they write huge checks.

So its sorta like two different worlds, the hobby side and the "In Business" side.

I see nothing wrong with either because we all have options but neither side is lily white and neither sets the rules for the other.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 11:02 AM

I noticed in your response that you have failed to point out specifically who the bad guys are with an explaination that they are just plain greedy when they buy something at a bargin and mark it up for a profit whether it 25%-150%. You claim to be a hobbiest and yet you claim to be sitting on huge warehouse of nos parts that you bought off of Ma Mopar at a bargin. I assume that not all of these parts are needed by you for your personal use. I don't understand your stance on one hand it is wrong (according to you and a few others) for an entrepreneur to buy something that they notice is below market value and see an opportunity to sell and make a profit while giving an opportunity to all world wide to purchase for their needs,while you sit on your warehouse of parts not offering to anybody at any price. Which is worse to buy a part that maybe out of your budget for your hobby or to not find that part at all.
as you have said its a double edge sword.people are pulling cars out of junk yards where they were discarded years ago and trying to make their dream come true. well their is a price for that dream and if you want it you have to pay for it. as bad as that makes my opinion sound its the truth nothing is cheap and nothing is free.
If you and others had not stepped up to the plate and bought those parts from Ma Mopar back in the day then they would have been scraped for a tax wright off and there wouldn't be any repo parts made because no cars out there being saved to let the aftermarket know that their if a void to be filled that is profitable hence more options for everyone.
its called capitalism and that is what made America Great in the first place... freedom, freedom to buy, save ,sell for profit , collect, or countless other opportunities to things that you like.
just to be clear when one either throws away something or puts it up for sale you are telling everyone that you no longer desire this item and if they wish to have here is the price. if you take the money then you have received what you considered was a fair price for your item . that is the end of the deal , but complain about someone else reselling the item that you discarded (sold) for a lot more sounds a lot like sellers remorse to me.
What is amazing is that if you sell some parts at a" Reasonable" price and several years later you see a car for sale at or near market value and realize that your sales help that 50 year old car get its inflated price.
Imo finally no one is perfect and maybe some of those that I named have crossed the line several times (as in pricing) but that doesn't make them theifs or greedy forever, and you didn't have to purchase either, every ones income is not the same yet some have similar interests. Im sure if you are married that you have spent some time with other couples that may be financially better off than you, and maybe his wife was wearing a 3 carrot diamond Im sure your wife noticed ,does that make you a bad guy or them? the answer is neither ,you live within your means as do they and it is accepted as you know they are financially better off than you. the same applies here its life.
Imo the only reason to bad mouth any body is if you didn't receive what you paid for. now that's what is wrong! believe I have bought more than a few parts off of the people I have named and I really didn't care for the pricing at times, but I purchased anyway , the same as others I sure have because I was able to mark another one off my list and move on towards my dream. its supply and demand the rule of thumb that rules "EVERY MARKET"

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 08:17 PM

tell me like it is..lmao

first off don't make assumptions about me
and don't give me a stupid jackhole lesson in capitalism or business!
you lost your argument when you went there
because that shows you don't have one..

you cry about respect then don't give it
when someone doesn't agree with your twisted stupid logic defending
and worshiping the greedy just because they have something desirable..

only one word describes a 6500 dollar washer bottle
GREED
and GREED has destroyed the hobby for the average joe
and i'm NEVER going to polish the knob of any of those greedy sob's that
have contributed to the destruction of the hobby from the average person!
they get less then zero respect from me.

i put together my dreams with NO help from any of them!
you act as if i somehow need them..
another stupid assumption you have made..

i would still be in the exact same place in the hobby if they never existed.
no repop parts?
not a big deal to me
most of it is junk anyway!
ever hear of a parts car and drilling it apart
to get what you want?
i know,opening your checkbook is soo much easier..
at least the parts i have will actually fit and work
the way they are supposed to!

so you can polish their knobs and i can give them the middle finger..
that is the reason why this country is great
we all can form our own opinions and we can express it any way we want to!

Posted by: MuscleMopars

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 09:14 PM

I've had all kinds of nice Mopars, some I had to restore. And I never had to pay the BIG prices those guys charge. Always found what I needed at a fair price. I did sell Ron Adair a car once and he shorted me some cash and promised me some NOS '67 GTX parts as partial trade and he never sent them...

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 09:41 PM

by your response I can tell that I made no assumptions I was dead on about you having no respect for anyone but yourself. as far as me giving respect , I give respect where I believe it is deserved and right about now it ain't looking good for you. I guess the only problem is somebody has what you want , but either you cant afford it or its not available. why else would you be so angry, I mean if you don't need them then why are you complaining about them ?
you are not the only person who has used a parts car to restore their pride and joy. Whether you realize it or not you have already gotten lots of help from them and you just don't realize it.we will see if you have the kahoonas to ask me how I figure that.
as far as you getting on your knees , I don't believe I ever questioned your sexual orientation nor do I want too. you see I try to keep it on a factual basis in stead of an ignorant rant without any factual basis for your opinion.
I really don't know who you are or where you are in the hobby and it was not one of my concerns but from the sound of things you are not where you want to be.
I am able to see the good that most of those gentlemen have done for all of us. Are their items pricey... yes they are at times and if I cant afford them I look for another way to "GIT ER DONE" . hell there are a lot of things I can't afford that doesn't mean ill disrespect them because I can't afford it.
bottom line is they own it and they owe you nothing . if it is for sale they can ask what ever they want you don't have to buy it.
as far as me trying to give you a lesson in capitalism I wouldn't dream of it besides I think you already got the jist of it which explains your lack reasoning.
i could go on but what would be the point.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 11:01 PM

you are very dense and are still making WRONG ASSUMPTIONS about me.
please tell me where any of them have helped me with my hobby ?
gyc? = a clown show for the immature
Carlisle and the Nats would be around regardless
the cars are what its all about
not some greedy parts shyster

i have zero need for any of them
you act like i actually need them for something! lmao
another WRONG ASSUMPTION on your part
i restored my first car back before i even ever heard of them
and before they even made repop parts
they have nothing i want
as they DO NOT OWN THE ONLY ONE ON EARTH!
i don't even bother to look at what any of them even have in stock
if i trip over their auction,i will laugh at it and move along
i'm not supporting the greedy like you do.
its lazy checkbook people like you that keeps them in business
hey if you like bending over for them and are happy to do so
more power to ya!

i don't have to bend over because
i can easily do without and have been doing without since they came on the scene.

there is a 900 dollar lens that has been for sale for at least a decade now
from one of those clowns
i bought 2 of the exact same thing for less then half of the price for one
and that 900 dollar part is still for sale today..
i could afford the lousy 900 dollars but that is not the point
it crosses a line as to being stupid greed
i have spent 3xs or more on just a single part before.

i have been around the hobby a long time i go back to
when you could go to the parts counter and order most of what you needed
and i have witnessed those kinds of people that
you give high praise to destroy a hobby that was a great thing at one time.

the time when you would give parts away just to help someone out
i needed a frame rail for a car
and someone i barely knew gave me a whole car shell
for nothing.
tody it is a cesspool of greed and i have every right to be mad about it
and speak up.
its not because some greedy idiot has something i want
another WRONG ASSUMPTION
i'm not going to give them any credit for my hobby
or where i'm at because they have done nothing for me
i have NO use for them
i know you find this very hard to believe

that Ron Adair guy that you heap praises on
sure sounds like a greedy shyster to me and
that is someone else doing the first hand talking about him and his dealings.
he doesn't sound like a man of his word
that kind of person does not deserve my respect or my business!
please stop making WRONG ASSUMPTIONS about me
its making you look like something...

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 11:33 PM

I stand bye my previous statement , what would be the point?

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/22/17 11:56 PM

I stand bye my previous statement , what would be the point?

the point is the hobby has been ruined by greed
and those people that you worship are a big reason as to why it is like that today..
don't feed me the crap that the hobby wouldn't be around if those low life grifters never existed..

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 10:40 AM

if you want to be accurate
just follow the time line
Etown came 5 years before Carlisle
they just copied what Richie Nap did
put the credit where it belongs...
if it wasn't for Richie and his success none of it would of ever happened..

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 10:41 AM

I think I see your point finally, you are a "Socialist" you want everybody have every thing they want and everyone should help or give to them.
the difference between Socialism and Capitalism is as Socialist you are required to do or share certain things and Capitalism is where you have choices and free will. that's just the simple version.
since I believe you have missed the point by a mile or two I'll try to make it simple for you to understand my statements as I intended for them to be understood.

in the beginning approximately late 70's you couldn't hardly get a parts man at a dealership to even look up parts for you let alone order for you ,their only interest was in newer parts. then came Frank Mitchel an enthusiast and entrepreneur and or someone similar . the only Major advertsement was hemmings motor news which lasted for about ten good years, the word had spread and more people found that there are cars and parts still available , then came mopar collectors guide with not only advertising for hobbyist and professional vendors, but articles of interest and stories that encouraged even more interest, then came others such as the round-up , auto trader and im sure others that I do not recall. those that I mentioned earlier were the pioneers of our hobby and industry. not all those people are perfect in your eyes and im am sure that there maybe some weight to your opinion but not totally . in your mind you think that the hobby would been here with out them. Well you might be right but I doubt it or at least not to the level it has achieved . then came the internet and ebay . Imo there is where the real problem starts not just our hobby but every aspect of your life . but it is a double edge sword and as in everything the bad comes right along with the good.
Back to the subject... if you can't follow the time line see how those people mentioned before made an impact on the "hobby" or industry then the word " incorrigible " comes to mind. I am grateful of their participation and insight and financial investment that made it possible for me and others to have our dream. It is not their responsibility to make it affordable for everyone although that is where repro comes in and as the supply diminishes the price usually goes up with the Nos or original used parts .

Do I believe that that prices are always reasonable ... No is the short answer but at least it s available if want it, and then there is always repro.
That is my point.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 10:42 AM

I don't need GLNOS and never will, I have found what I have needed from others for FAR less at a FAIR price.

Little Detroit you sound like you believe most of their stuff is priced fair with some parts being high. what parts are fairly priced ? I have never seen any.

If Little Detroit and Delbert think GLNOS is God like and want to worship them ok, I wont.

The tent of terror is just that, I mean come on, over a grand for windshield bottle res. they are greedy and that's a FACT.
Posted by: formula_s

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 10:56 AM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1968-...=item54540c3121

This is a perfect example of the stuff they carry from show to show and no sale. I saw these at Carlisle 2 years ago. As a matter of comparison I bought 2 of these NOS for 40.00 at Carlisle. Did I get a steal ? sure but 1500.00 for 4 is Crazy. BTW their description is wrong, these were not used in 1969.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-NOS-1968-...item54540c3121?

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 10:57 AM

And this is why I didnt drop specific names, it makes people with alot of good attributes targets for negativity. The internet seems to do that. And im sure these guys have helped far more then they hurt, no one forces them to pay there prices.

I posted this initially because I have a guy wanting a few things and was just looking for some feedback.

Ive five nice mopars, one hemi b body, a v code 70 cuda and some lessor cars and myself have never had to visit the more well known guys and there prices for parts. Some people piss there money away in bars, some on cars and parts and that was me growing up, I simply loved mopars since I was 13 and for some reason knew things wouldnt be available forever so I became a hoarder.

I have never attended a big mopar event because ive had no reason to.

My car and parts will mostly goto my nephews when I die and as unpopular as it may be ive been sorting parts and junking alot.

Ive tried to give parts away and its still a load of grief.

So for me, I stay out of the rat race and the way this has turned out just reaffirms to me im doing the right thing for me.

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 11:10 AM

someone just deleted their post and sent me a nasty pm
I'm sorry the facts do not fit your narrative pity

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 11:12 AM

I should of quoted the deleted Dilbert post. I really saw nothing extreme about it, just his opinion.
Posted by: hemicar1971

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/23/17 11:29 AM

How does this turn into a Psing contest again on moparts. You price your NOS parts by gathering information from other sales and by asking on Moparts in the WIW and other sites. If you end up pricing it to high you have it for sale or drag the parts to shows year after year. If you are looking for a quick sale price it lower but that does not always mean people want the parts at your price or even that part. You can always put a big price on it and hope someone pays the price. There is never one person that has the last NOS piece in the world yet. You can find someone else with the same NOS part usually because mopar owners are hoarders. I also find that very few want to spend the time to use their own hands to rebuild a part, its all shipped out of house to be fixed or rebuilt. As for Adair and Mitchel both were good and bad for the hobby. They were gatherers of mopar parts and sometimes were crafty businessmen to acquire these parts. Sometimes dealing with them you had to keep an eye on the dealings. I would look at their parts in person and decide if it was worth my time to keep looking and trust some part on the net that was not in my hands to look at to make sure it was NOS or even nice. Yes both had prices very high but you don't have to buy the part if the price is considered to high. I always like to take a spin around the Adair Tent just to see what they had for sale. Some cool stuff was always under the tent. Mitchels Warehouse was another museum that was worth the price of entry.
Posted by: baron007

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/27/17 07:23 AM

Here's is reasonably priced thumbwheel radio, allthough it has a scratch, I have seen them around for $1.500 or more.
radio

Searching for a 62 Dart parking lens I always come accross for this one, I think it is there for at least 5 years at $695 for the pair.
Lens
Posted by: not_a_charger

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/27/17 08:31 AM

Quote:
How does this turn into a Psing contest again on moparts

That's a rhetorical question, right?
Posted by: bballfan1

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/27/17 10:02 AM

Not looking to cause a war...... I posted these parts. Is the price out of line? http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/nos-sheet-metal.396278/
Posted by: gtx6970

Re: How do you price NOS parts? - 12/27/17 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By bballfan1
Not looking to cause a war...... I posted these parts. Is the price out of line? http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/nos-sheet-metal.396278/

IMO, price is in line. And should sell at or near that with not much trouble