Moparts

what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods?

Posted By: grizzley155

what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 02:18 PM

i have my 41 in primer now and i need to block and seal.im looking to apply the satin black .is this a one step paint? any thoughts from you body and paint guys?

Attached picture 6777558-Picture074.jpg
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 04:21 PM

All I have is my own experience to go by- my car is 2-stage black minus the clear. It has been on it for 4 or 5 years with minimal fading.

Attached picture 6777732-56front4.1.jpg
Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 05:29 PM

i see summit sells hot rod black in their brand of paint. i`m painting my desoto with a mix of flat and gloss to get the amount of flat/semi gloss/gloss i want. i`m using rustolumium sold at lowes in the gallon can. about $30 a gallon.

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 07:17 PM

ty ,your paint looks ,thats the look im going for. thanks again

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 07:23 PM

ty for your info.the price per gal. sounds good. now its just getting the boby ready.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 07:33 PM

You can use cheap primer (bad, since it will be porous and will have to be removed for a good layer of paint), Blitz Black or other cheap implement paint (doesn't hold up well, also should be removed), up through decent auto paint with flattener added, to speciality paints.
Best to discuss it with your paint supplier and get the best product you can afford.

Can it be scuffed and shot over?
Can it be cleaned?
Can it be touched up?
How long are you planning on keeping it?
Indoor or outdoor storage?

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/14/11 09:36 PM

ty, i have used trinity paints before with good results. i went to the web site today and see they are offering hotrod black also. it is 35 a gal. acrylic lacquer primer. high compatibility.im going to order it and give it a shot.
Posted By: earlymopar

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/15/11 01:39 PM

What is typically done now is a 2-stage process no different from a high gloss normal paint job. The only difference is that the top clear coat is flat or in some cases semi-gloss. The paint types, thicknesses, # of coats and general process is all the same.
Posted By: Bill_T

Re: what is the satin black paint im seeing on some rods? - 08/15/11 06:32 PM

Also check out the "Hot Rod Flatz" line. HRM or CC (can't remember) painted a car with it in a recent issue....
© 2024 Moparts Forums