Moparts

Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers

Posted By: THE GLASS MAN

Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/19/10 06:20 AM

Just interested in knowing if there are any other drag racers or street rodders who are into the 52-54 Chrysler / Desoto flatheads. I retired my Flathead Chrysler in 1968 and was running 14.50's in the 1/4. Still got the car in good condition too! It was replaced by a 67 Hemi Belvedere.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/19/10 06:10 PM

What car, engine and mods, transmission. I am all ears. Sounds too cool.

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 12:28 AM

It's a 53 Willys Areo Eagle body,with a 54 Chrysler Winsor 265 cubic inch motor,set back 10%of the wheel base,bored 60 over to 274 cubic inches. 3-2's on a modified stock manifold, progressive linkage,tube headers, big cam which I have the cam profile and can make more, planed head, 37-38 Dodge transmission with a modifided bellhousing. The 38 close ratio tranny was the winning factor over the old side shifter tranny. There were absolutely no after market speed parts on this car. My dad and the old Englishman for my dads place of business made all the "Speed Parts", in 1958.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 01:14 AM

There are a couple of guys over on the HAMB that have modded Mopar flattys. There is also the dragster class they run.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38
Posted By: motomatt383

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 04:39 AM

A good friend of mine has the original flathead 6 in his 36 Plymouth coupe street rod. the engine is very close to stock, other than a /6 electronic distributor. he used a 5spd trans out of an S-10 behind it, 8 3/4 with 3.55 in the rear. no power house, but a really different, fun ride. I've got a 40 Dodge coupe that I'm intending to do the same thing to.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 05:15 AM

Here's a thread that has other links too

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516390
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 04:14 PM

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/pts/2121805035.html
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/20/10 08:36 PM

Pictures please....Back in the 60's with no money and less sence,my buddy and I had a 53 Willys aero that we ran in C/altered with a 361 Chrysler engine,later w slid in a 413 ..only ran in the 13's as the t- flight only had 1 st and 3 rd with a long slip into 3 rd...I think I still have a few pics of it at E- town...sorry I junked it in 69...but show us some pics please..
Posted By: JonsGottaDusta

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/21/10 08:34 PM

Any pics?

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 12/22/10 12:26 AM

I don't have any recent pictures of the Willys Areo Eagle. It is crammed into the storage part of my one garage. Hard enough trying to open the hood for the shot of the motor. If you go to my web site, www.sledcityevents.com and look under Sled City Cars and History you will see both of our Willys' . The hardtop car is the one I still have and the 2 door sedan is the car we built in 1965 and it had a 330 cubic inch Hudson and ran 13.50's all day long. That Willys was sold by my brother in around 1974 and I would like to buy it back if I knew where it was. Last known siting was the east side of Columbus , Ohio and has never been seen since. The pictures were taken between 1963-1969. P.S. We are putting on the "Spring Nostalgia Nationals" on April 30th - May 1st,2011, at National Trail Raceway. BE THEREEEEEE

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 02/22/11 04:08 AM

Quote:

Just interested in knowing if there are any other drag racers or street rodders who are into the 52-54 Chrysler / Desoto flatheads. I retired my Flathead Chrysler in 1968 and was running 14.50's in the 1/4. Still got the car in good condition too! It was replaced by a 67 Hemi Belvedere.

I have been asked so many times to bring this old Chrysler Powered Willys out of the garage by so many people, that I will have it at the "Spring Nostalgia Nationals" at National Trail Raceway on April 30th & May 1st , 2011. Deluxe Car Culture Magazine will be there also getting plenty of photos of all the action. More on this event can be found at www.sledcityevents.com
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 04/11/11 04:36 AM

Quote:

A good friend of mine has the original flathead 6 in his 36 Plymouth coupe street rod. the engine is very close to stock, other than a /6 electronic distributor. he used a 5spd trans out of an S-10 behind it, 8 3/4 with 3.55 in the rear. no power house, but a really different, fun ride. I've got a 40 Dodge coupe that I'm intending to do the same thing to.

I wonder how much work it took to make the /6 distributor work in the flatty?

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers / The Willys Is Out - 04/25/11 10:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how much work it took to make the /6 distributor work in the flatty?

I don't think that it would be cost effective for that project. You should get in contact with Langdon's Stovebolt out of Mich. for that ignition upgrade. It would be nice if MSD would do something for us guys with flatheads.
Posted By: badblubeee

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 04/29/11 08:49 AM

Wow- in high school (1970) my first 2 cars were 52 Aero Ace 2dr's ! Both just 6 bangers, first one was maroon like in your pics and second one black.They were always easy to spot in a sea of tri 5 chevys. I was 15 and drank to many tall boys on an old loggin' road and drove the first one on it's top for a ways! Still have the grill and willys emblems hangin in my garage. The hardtops were always rare as hens teeth.Thanks for the memorys
Posted By: badblubeee

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 04/29/11 09:03 AM

I'm a little rusty but I'll try a pic-ha and everybody says I'm so lame! I have a pic of the other car after it got upside down, but not in the geek box.When I'd show up at school and my hottie girlfriend and her 3 friends got out wearin' their mini skirts and high heels the Willys looked pretty cool! oh yea

Attached picture 6608164-theWillys.jpg
Posted By: C38coupe

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/23/18 09:12 PM

I know this thread is ancient, but any idea where the "Glass Man" aka FH Racer is at.
I want to talk with him about his flathead powered racing....
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/24/18 02:56 AM

His profile lists

SLEDCITY@AOL.COM

As his email address
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/24/18 04:28 AM

Since AOL no longer exists, I suspect your not going to reach him by that email address!
His last post was almost a year ago (2/9/17) in the Unlawful racing group here on Moparts. Might be able to chase him down there. Gene
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/24/18 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By Θάνατος
His profile lists

SLEDCITY@AOL.COM

As his email address

I think he's from Grove City Ohio. Last name Augustine,spelling?? First name might be Larry. Maybe somebody will chime in with more imfo.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/24/18 04:52 AM

AOL addresses changed to AIM, but mine still get through no matter which suffix is used.
Posted By: C38coupe

Re: Chrysler Flathead Drag Racers - 01/24/18 05:49 AM

Thanx Guys, he dropped by P15 d24 a couple years ago then disappeared, wanted to pick his brain on Chrysler flathead 6 performance and racing in the old days...
© 2024 Moparts Forums