Moparts

Offset engine mounting question

Posted By: 49wayfarer

Offset engine mounting question - 05/31/10 08:04 PM

Already made the custom engine mounts for the 440 in my 1949 Wayfarer, and just want to check on a few things before I start welding. The engine is offset 1 1/2" for the steering, set the car for ride height, engine is level side to side, and carb is level, engine drops 4 deg for this? Anyways, question is on the offset. Using a 8 3/4" rear, and didn't realize they were that off center to the right. Not exact #'s, but if the front of the engine is 1 1/2" to the right, the rearend is 3" to the right, should I make the rear of the trans 2 1/4" to the right, and split the difference, and how huge of a deal is this, as long as I get the pinion angles right?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Offset engine mounting question - 06/01/10 02:46 AM

The center line of the pinion gear and the center line of the trans main shaft need to be parallel with each other. Off set is taken up by the u-joints.
And yes, the carb sits at an angle to the crankshaft centerline, thought it was 3 degrees, but don't think another degree or two either way would make much difference. Gene
Posted By: 36PLYM

Re: Offset engine mounting question - 06/01/10 12:42 PM

If your center line of the engine is offset to the right the center line of the trans should be offset the same amount from center. This would keep it parallel to the center line of the vehicle. For the rear, assuming it is perpendicular to the center line of the chassis, the center line of the pinion and the trans would be parallel. Keep the universals in phase.
Posted By: 49wayfarer

Re: Offset engine mounting question - 06/01/10 12:57 PM

That makes sense, if the engine is kept parallel to the centerline, as you look at it from the top the degree offset would be the same for both the U joints, since the centerline of the vehicle doesn't matter as much as the degree from the centerline of the driveshaft, if I'm saying this right.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Offset engine mounting question - 06/01/10 02:22 PM

There have been some threads about how Mopar installed the motor offset and NOT parallel to the vehicle centerline (fan closer on the D side). A few degrees will probably not kill things, but may set up a harmonic.
© 2024 Moparts Forums