Moparts

DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them?

Posted By: RUMBLON

DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/04/10 11:21 PM

OK, I recently had to sell my 38 Plymouth project with the 5.7 HEMI. I needed a commuter Cherokee as a second vehicle and it went bye bye.

So that said I am in need of another project- This is going to be a kind of Rat rod project but I want it functional and I dont want to spend a ton of $$ on a custom frame.

I was thinking of something on a Dakota frame drivetrain but as I recall certain yeras are best????

Which ones are best for a Rod project and what to look for in engine and drivetrain. Power wont be a concern as if I was something real fast I will drive the Cuda or one of the others.

Dave
Posted By: rattler

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/04/10 11:41 PM

I used an 88 dak for my 57 pro street truck project. That gave me disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering and a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.The track width was also very close to the 57's. Randy

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/04/10 11:48 PM

Quote:

I used an 88 dak for my 57 pro street truck project. That gave me disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering and a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern.The track width was also very close to the 57's. Randy

Randy, any pics or a thread to check????

Dave
Posted By: poorboy

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/05/10 02:33 AM

Dave,
The 87-90 Dakotas have the 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern. The 91-96 (I believe) use the same suspension but have 6 bolt wheel pattern. This era you can change the bolt pattern by simply swapping in the older parts. The 96 and newer also have the 6 bolt wheels, but changing to the 5 bolt pattern requires much work. Beyond the year 2001 I know nothing about.

Dakotas cane with 4 cylinders, v6, and v8s in 4.7, 5.2 or 5.9 versions. Trans choices were 4 speed, 5 speed, and od autos. Rear axle choices were 7 1/4, 8 3/8 & 9 1/4. All had rack & pinion steering, front independent suspension and rear leaf springs. Not all engines choices were available every year, and not all trans choices were available with each engine. As I understand, the early trucks had 2 frame wheel bases available, a 114 and 129. Newer trucks had 3 wheel base lengths available. Don't know when the 3 wb started, but I suspect around 94. Gene
Posted By: 49wayfarer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/05/10 12:41 PM

Mine was an 87, same reasons as stated. I'm looking into dropped spindles and airbags for it.

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/05/10 07:31 PM

I'll try to post something. Randy

Attached picture 5909035-P1200255.JPG

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/05/10 07:35 PM

It's getting closer to paint time. The way it sets now, it has a 440 and 727 in it and a norrowed 8 3/4 rear. I dropped it down over the dak frame to get the stance i wanted, but to get the rear like i wanted( a flat bed floor) i addedthe back half of the 57 frame to the dak frame. Randy. There are some interior shots in a thread titled "automatic shifters"
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/05/10 08:10 PM

Dave, sorry to hear the rod went away. Hope you got decent money out of it.
As said, the early ones had the 5 lug pattern. Only 4s and V6s except the Shelby until 92 with the bowed nose.

96 and newer have OBDII, so you will want to avoid them or change it to an earlier drivetrain unless you want to mess with computers and wiring!

I'd look for a 92 318 magnum, 518 without torque converter.
You can install the whole wiring/PCM or swap to a carb-intake and electronic dist.
The trans will take any 727 converter.
You will have to swap discs in front for the 5 lug, and redrill or swap axles in back.

Here's one you could probably have together fairly quick aside from the rear fenders
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-DODG...=item2c53ee0840
There are guys here and the other site that have done these year trucks....
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/06/10 03:42 AM

also the 87 thru 90 ish, not all are rack and pinion it was an option,,,as i have read one one of these dakota topics
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/06/10 03:26 PM

Rattler/Randy, that's looking GOOD!
Great stance. how'ed the firewall and floor handle the drivetrain and frame? Any shots?

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/07/10 12:41 AM

Quote:

also the 87 thru 90 ish, not all are rack and pinion it was an option,,,as i have read one one of these dakota topics

According to my 87 Dakota factory service manual, all 2wd Dakotas came with rack & pinion steering and 4x4s came with the old steering box & linkage. At some point beyond that the rack may have been an option with the 4x4 as well. Dakotas also had a power and a non-power rack available on the 2wd trucks. Gene

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/07/10 03:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

According to my 87 Dakota factory service manual, all 2wd Dakotas came with rack & pinion steering and 4x4s came with the old steering box & linkage. At some point beyond that the rack may have been an option with the 4x4 as well. Dakotas also had a power and a non-power rack available on the 2wd trucks. Gene

whats better, power or non power rack.????

Thanks

Dave

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/07/10 01:09 PM

John, i had to move the top portion of the firewall back 2 inches for valve cover clearance, the floor was fine as is. I used truck motor mounts and pan and just built frame mounts out to them.

Attached picture 5912062-P8020224.JPG

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/07/10 01:14 PM

There are also some interior shots in the "automatic shifters" thread.I hope to get it pulled back apart and start paint work soon. Randy

Attached picture 5912073-P3210257.JPG
Posted By: rabid scott

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/07/10 07:04 PM

Wow, that '57 truck looks great!

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/08/10 12:20 AM

whats better, power or non power rack.????

Thanks

Dave

Guess that would depend on your preference, and how wide your front tires are going to be, and how strong your arms are. Once its rolling, I doubt you would need the PS, but if you have wide tires, a lot of front weight, and weak arms, power steering might be a nice addition. I'm a wimp, give me the PS. Gene

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/09/10 05:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

GENE didnt meen to jump on your post,, i just remembered some one on one of these dakota swap topics,, that the rack and pinion was an option,,if its only on the 4x4 that makes it easier to look for a donor,,

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/09/10 06:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

GENE didnt meen to jump on your post,, i just remembered some one on one of these dakota swap topics,, that the rack and pinion was an option,,if its only on the 4x4 that makes it easier to look for a donor,,

Not a problem, how could we learn anything if we never question things that are stated? After you brought up about the rack being optional, I had to dig out my book to see what it said. Gene
Posted By: Robbins

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/10/10 02:27 AM

Quote:

Wow, that '57 truck looks great!

No doubt!

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/10/10 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not a problem, how could we learn anything if we never question things that are stated? After you brought up about the rack being optional, I had to dig out my book to see what it said. Gene

KOOL

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/12/10 06:17 PM

Scratch wanted some more pics,

Attached picture 5921677-P1200256.JPG

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/12/10 06:19 PM

Another

Attached picture 5921681-P8020222.JPG

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/12/10 06:25 PM

If anyone wonders why i used 2 frames, its because i wanted an original style bed( flat wood) and the dak frame woudn't let me do that because it kicked up in the rear. Randy

Attached picture 5921691-PA040237.JPG

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 03/27/11 07:39 AM

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 07/23/13 02:25 PM

Thought i would bumop this, any more Dakota swaps lately?

Plus this section needs more posts.Im on the hunt for an older dodge or plymouth truck now out west.
maybe even considering a studebaker pickup.

RUMBLON

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 07/23/13 11:29 PM

For those few that have not seen my 57 in paint.

Attached picture 7787530-beachshot(2).jpg

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 07/23/13 11:32 PM

under hood shot

Attached picture 7787535-Photo06191339.jpg

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 07/24/13 12:50 AM

Quote:

For those few that have not seen my 57 in paint.

BEAUTY-- is that snakeskin green? a Viper color?

RUMBLON

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 07/24/13 02:46 AM

Yep, Viper color. I don't think it would get near as much attention if it was a different color.
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 08/06/13 09:53 PM

That is killer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 11/18/13 08:34 AM

If I found a 87 era Dakotawith the V6 in it, will the k member take the V8 or will that have to be replaced.???

Rumblon
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 11/19/13 02:05 AM

Quote:

If I found a 87 era Dakotawith the V6 in it, will the k member take the V8 or will that have to be replaced.???

Rumblon

I used spool mounts on the motor with custom mounts on the frame.

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 11/19/13 04:03 AM

Quote:

Rumblon

There is no replaceable K member on a Dakota. They are a one piece frame like the full sized trucks.
In a hot rod, the V8 in place of the V6 is not an issue, in the real truck, the 87 engine compartment was smaller the the 88 & newer and firewall and radiator clearance may become an issue.

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 11/21/13 06:44 AM

Quote:

Rumblon

I would like to think its the same K frame,but i do not know for sure,,but the 1987 3.6 v6 is a 318 minus 2 cylinders,i would think they share the same block motor mount ears,,,either way its not hard to fab a bracket to use the spoool mounts,,also you can check a guy callled schumaker he makes all sorta of adapter and better then original mopar motor mounts
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 11/21/13 07:52 PM

If my frame wouldn't of been hacked in the first place I would of just put a mustang II on it. There is a 200 hours in just getting the frame to work.
Posted By: cheapracer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 12/02/13 12:32 AM

The 87-90 are the same, in 91 they bumped out the nose to fit the v8 easier becase of fan clearance. The 87-90 still have 5lug wheels in 91 up went to 6lugs. But all dakotas will except the magnum v8's due to they run the same motor mounts as the v6. I have owned severel dakotas.

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 10/02/14 04:44 AM

Found a 89 with a V6 in it. Are these V6s any good for a ratrod project? This one is an auto, I would like to build a cheapo ratrod using a mid 40s truck cab. Now that I have the move to Idaho done and a small place built to live I have time to start looking around.

RUMBLON

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 10/02/14 06:32 AM

My 48 Plymouth has a throttle body EFI, 3.9 V6, from a 1990 Dakota, mine has the 5 speed and 3:55 gears. (It actually has the full Dakota frame under it.) The car is fun to drive, it feels fast, even though it really isn't. I can get a chirp from the 235 x 75 x 15 radials through a good tight limited slip rear axle in 3rd gear! I get 17 mpg beating the crap out of it, and it will get over 20 on the highway if I can keep it around 70. When I blow this 3.9 up, there is another one waiting. Nothing wrong with the 3.9, they are tough, have decent power range, a will pull decent mileage. The only issue I see is there is little aftermarket support, as far as performance parts available. I am considering a turbocharger for the next 3.9, time will tell. Gene

Attached picture 8288083-white&bluecoupe2.jpg

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 10/09/14 07:07 AM

Quote:

Found a 89 with a V6 in it. Are these V6s any good for a ratrod project? This one is an auto, I would like to build a cheapo ratrod using a mid 40s truck cab. Now that I have the move to Idaho done and a small place built to live I have time to start looking around.

RUMBLON

I had one of those v6 dakota 1987 3.9 v 6 5 speed 2 bbl was a good motor,,,if you look around you may find a mopar performance 4 bbl intake,,, i dont know if any after market intakes were made for that motor,,,its a 318 minus 2 front cylinders

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/21/16 05:40 AM

Been looking again for a donor for my 50 studebaker truck. ALL of the ones I find are 6s. like this one.

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/5544695020.html

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/21/16 05:49 AM

found this one but I want a small block. Can a 318 or 360 be installed on a 6 cylinder K member?

http://boise.craigslist.org/pts/5544695020.html

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/21/16 05:52 AM

so these newer ones cant be used? This is a 318 thats blown. 2000 yr

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5535321961.html

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/21/16 06:41 AM

If your not intending on using the efi, and will go with a carb, any Dakota truck would probably work. I'd have to take a look under that 4 door truck and see what the frame looks like, and if the drop will be in a good position for whatever cab/body you intend on putting on it.

As far as the V6 to V8 motor, the mounting pads on a Dakota bolt to the frame and those brackets are engine specific. 3.9 fits a 3.9, a 318 fits a 318, and the 4.7 fits a 4.7. How they might interchange between motors is anyone's guess. These days, all the electronics are motor specific, so swapping from, say, a 4.7 to a 318 means you get to swap the complete wiring harness and computer and you better have everything that matches the motor and trans (that came out of a Dakota, or the wiring will be wrong) you want to use. Weather the motor mounts are the same or not becomes a minor issue, you would probably use the ones attached to the motor you pulled out of a Dakota, and they will probably bolt to the frame.

The next thought on the motor mount is will the engine will remain in its original location as a hot rod is built? With my coupe, I moved the drive train back 7". Once you move the motor, whatever was there originally is a pretty mute point. In my case, I just added a 1/4" plate and moved the motor brackets and trans crossmember back the required distance (used what fit the motor and trans and adapted it to the frame where I wanted them to sit).

If you have the ability to swap a frame from one vehicle to something entirely different, motor mounts should be just another step in the frame swap process. Use whatever mounting brackets fit on the motor of choice, and modify them to fit the frame. Gene

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/21/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By poorboy
If your not intending on using the efi, and will go with a carb, any Dakota truck would probably work. I'd have to take a look under that 4 door truck and see what the frame looks like, and if the drop will be in a good position for whatever cab/body you intend on putting on it.

As far as the V6 to V8 motor, the mounting pads on a Dakota bolt to the frame and those brackets are engine specific. 3.9 fits a 3.9, a 318 fits a 318, and the 4.7 fits a 4.7. How they might interchange between motors is anyone's guess. These days, all the electronics are motor specific, so swapping from, say, a 4.7 to a 318 means you get to swap the complete wiring harness and computer and you better have everything that matches the motor and trans (that came out of a Dakota, or the wiring will be wrong) you want to use. Weather the motor mounts are the same or not becomes a minor issue, you would probably use the ones attached to the motor you pulled out of a Dakota, and they will probably bolt to the frame.

The next thought on the motor mount is will the engine will remain in its original location as a hot rod is built? With my coupe, I moved the drive train back 7". Once you move the motor, whatever was there originally is a pretty mute point. In my case, I just added a 1/4" plate and moved the motor brackets and trans crossmember back the required distance (used what fit the motor and trans and adapted it to the frame where I wanted them to sit).

If you have the ability to swap a frame from one vehicle to something entirely different, motor mounts should be just another step in the frame swap process. Use whatever mounting brackets fit on the motor of choice, and modify them to fit the frame. Gene

This is my project truck

Posted By: wayfarer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/22/16 05:54 PM

Just recently saw a similar vintage Stude that had the 'treatment' and it was very sharp.
As Gene mentioned, you might start with a comparison of wheelbase dimensions and pay attention to where the rear axle kick-up is positioned.
If you are an accomplished fabricator/welder then making a frame fit your truck should not be all that scary. These frames don't mind being reworked.

Posted By: dogdays

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/22/16 08:32 PM

I believe the round Dakotas are quite a bit wider than the square ones.

R.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/23/16 06:12 AM

the v6 and the v8 use the same motor mounts---we have put a 5.2 in the spot the 3.9 fit----also the motor mount ears actually unbolt off the frame---i have saved several sets and have just recently handed a couple to a friend so he could use them mounting a 5.7 hemi in his 34 plymouth coupe----the gen 1 dakota is just fine for the job at hand--i would watch for a single cab short or long bed.....
Posted By: Dabee

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/24/16 03:57 AM

Originally Posted By savoy64
the v6 and the v8 use the same motor mounts---we have put a 5.2 in the spot the 3.9 fit----also the motor mount ears actually unbolt off the frame---i have saved several sets and have just recently handed a couple to a friend so he could use them mounting a 5.7 hemi in his 34 plymouth coupe----the gen 1 dakota is just fine for the job at hand--i would watch for a single cab short or long bed.....

Yep, V6 / V8 use same mounts. I just did two swaps using 87 Dak chassis. One for a 52 Dodge pu and the other for a 56 Dodge pu.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/24/16 04:32 AM

also if you find a 96 truck with 6 bolt hubs you can just switch hub rotors to get the 5 on 4.5 pattern----with the 97 up dakota you are stuck with the 6 bolt rotors----there is a bigger choice in the 5 on 4.5 world....

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/25/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By RodStRace
As said, the early ones had the 5 lug pattern. Only 4s and V6s except the Shelby until 92 with the bowed nose.

96 and newer have OBDII, so you will want to avoid them or change it to an earlier drivetrain unless you want to mess with computers and wiring!

You can install the whole wiring/PCM or swap to a carb-intake and electronic dist.
You will have to swap discs in front for the 5 lug, and redrill or swap axles in back.

Here's one you could probably have together fairly quick aside from the rear fenders

This one popped up recently

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5553288642.html

RUMBLON

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/26/16 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By RUMBLON
Originally Posted By RodStRace

This one popped up recently

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/5553288642.html

RUMBLON

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so we drive down to Boise and bought this truck. 1992 Dakota 318 magnum. Started right up and sounds GREAT! Drove it onto my trailer for $200.00.

Im going to use it on some project, just not sure what, either this Studebaker truck or keep looking for another mopar projecT.

Im wondering what all I can use from this rig, it has power windows, AC, and it has an OD button, so it has over drive I am guessing.

RUMBLON

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/26/16 04:24 AM

Pictures don't work, but you can use nearly all of that Dakota. I used everything from a 90 Dakota on my coupe except the roof and cab back panel, Door shells, inner door panels, glass, the box sides, and about 200 lbs of odd stuff. Then I cut up the sheet metal and used most of it for patch panels. What you can use is only limited to what you can imagine a use for something. Gene

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/26/16 04:51 AM

Originally Posted By poorboy
Pictures don't work, but you can use nearly all of that Dakota. I used everything from a 90 Dakota on my coupe except the roof and cab back panel, Door shells, inner door panels, glass, the box sides, and about 200 lbs of odd stuff. Then I cut up the sheet metal and used most of it for patch panels. What you can use is only limited to what you can imagine a use for something. Gene

The pics are not showing up for you? Anyone else, they are showing up for me.

Am I correct that the wheelbase for this truck is
130.9 in (3,325 mm) (ext. cab)

According to what I can find on line my studebaker truck has a 112" wheelbase. So I will start planning and collecting parts if I go with this truck. I have a lot to get done on this shop before I can start building in it.

RUMBLON
Posted By: moparx

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/26/16 01:08 PM

super steal at $200 !! would be a super deal if the engine or transmission were blown . good score and a ton of parts to use !
beer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/27/16 03:03 AM

Pictures worked today, guess my computer just didn't want to show them yesterday. That looks like a great deal for $200, I would have bought it without a second thought. Gene
Posted By: littleVAL

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/27/16 04:25 AM

I was an rv mechanic years ago and I drove the company's 90 ish Dakota and once the owners pride a 76 corvette. The 318 Dakota was way faster and handled pretty good to.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/27/16 05:25 AM

Daks around here are like gold apparently. Some scrapped out beaters with no titles are asking $1000. No thanks. Been looking for a pre OBDII V6 manual trans one for my project, but no luck so far.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/27/16 07:29 AM

That looks freaking amazing for $200. Definitely a good score! I'd save it for an older coupe project, but that's just me.
Posted By: wayfarer

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/28/16 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Daks around here are like gold apparently. Some scrapped out beaters with no titles are asking $1000. No thanks. Been looking for a pre OBDII V6 manual trans one for my project, but no luck so far.

...don't know exactly where you are located, and yes, I do know that West-Texas is a huge area.....but it didn't take long to find these. Hook up that trailer and get moving. up

http://abilene.craigslist.org/cto/5522104391.html

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/cto/5545440312.html

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 04/29/16 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By wayfarer
Originally Posted By Supercuda

...don't know exactly where you are located, and yes, I do know that West-Texas is a huge area.....but it didn't take long to find these. Hook up that trailer and get moving. up

http://abilene.craigslist.org/cto/5522104391.html

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/cto/5545440312.html

Thanks, first one is gone, second one is automatic. BTW, second one location is home. But I am literally all over W. Texas, so it don't matter.

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 02/21/17 12:24 AM

Does anyone know of some Dakota project build threads for these style of swaps. Im going to use this 92 Dakota one way or another, with either a 48-52 Studebaker or one of these Pilot house Dodge truck cabs I have sitting here. I have a 50 and a 52 pilot house five window cabs sitting here.

Just wondering of someone has build threads that may save me some time and give me some options. I want to use the Dakota chassis, engine ect as it runs very well.

Dave

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 02/21/17 04:30 AM

Rumblon, www.KillBillet.com rat rod site has several International trucks built using Dakota chassis in the "50s rat rod truck" section. Most of those guys get after it and get them built, some are very nice trucks with original worn cab finish. One guy used a Hemi Durango under a 50s international, and kept all the computer functions of the Durango on the International.

If you can't transfer the info between a 50s International cab/box and a 50s Dodge cab/box, your in over your head.

Supercuda, In the last 4 months I've bought 3 91-96 Dakotas, 2 were V6 5 speed, for under $500 each. Rusted bodies with good frames, running and driveable. Not pretty, but I'm not using the body panels, messed up or broken doors or glass. I also don't care about the condition of the brakes (I'm going to replace them anyway) or the tires (I'm probably getting new tires as well). But then, I'm not in Texas either. I suspect if it wasn't for the rusty panels, the trucks I bought would likely have been more costly. Sometimes a cheap start costs a lot more in the long run. If a truck has everything your looking for and it functions, spending a bit more is not unreasonable. Any Dakota $1,000 or under is worth looking at. If its been on the market for a while, cash in hand, person to person, is a powerful buying tool.

If your buying a truck your taking apart, don't worry about the condition of the parts you are not going to use, the value is on the parts you want, if those are in good shape, the price of the truck only needs to be less then buying the parts separately,and the rest is scrap value. If the parts are worth more then the truck price, its a good deal. Gene

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 02/21/17 04:37 AM

Finding an under $500 Dak around here means no useable drivetrain as is. Rust is pretty much a non-issue here so if it runs it's 1k or more to start.

http://sanangelo.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=dakota

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 02/21/17 11:29 PM

I don't know how to do the link thing, but do a Craig's list for Rockford IL, + surrounding area, -Chicago, and add more, Debuque Iowa and Quad cities, Dakota, $2000 or less. 97 entries, several repeated, but I'll bet there are at least 80 trucks listed. Gene
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: DAKOTA DONORS- WHAT YEARS R BEST-Whos used them? - 02/23/17 08:22 AM

Originally Posted By RUMBLON
Does anyone know of some Dakota project build threads for these style of swaps. Im going to use this 92 Dakota one way or another, with either a 48-52 Studebaker or one of these Pilot house Dodge truck cabs I have sitting here. I have a 50 and a 52 pilot house five window cabs sitting here.

Just wondering of someone has build threads that may save me some time and give me some options. I want to use the Dakota chassis, engine ect as it runs very well.

Dave

I bought a 1995 Dakota regular cab shortbox. The front brake were metal on metal, but it's a 6 lug. I bought 5 lug rotors and hubs which were cheap, and I'll toss brake pads on. Convert the rear to a 5 lug with a Dana 60 or 8 3/4, then I'll swap on my 1960 Dodge cab.
I want to keep the EFI of the Dakota but I want old style gauges, so I have some wiring work to do.... but I want an EFI 318/ 4 speed auto rack and pinion 1960.

My Dakota is low mile 318/auto. It's amazingly good shape, runs like a top, asking price was $500 because of the brakes so we offered $250 and he took it.
Can't lose?
© 2024 Moparts Forums