Moparts

just wondering about unit bodies

Posted By: bboogieart

just wondering about unit bodies - 03/13/10 05:52 PM

I know this forum is for older cars but I can't help but notice the number of mid 60s to early 70s unit bodies that no longer have good frames. I have a couple myself. I realize that the tub can be rebuilt these days, but I for one can not afford this and do not have the skill for rebuilding a unit body myself. I was just wondering what you guys thought of maybe a dakota frame channeled under a 68 coronete.
Is the wheel base and width close and how hard would it be to put under the car?
I really hate to see this car rot away in my back yard and a replacement shell is quickly getting too expensive. also thinking about a straight axle gasser style.(?) The car is not all that rare or popular, so hacking it up and driving it is better than wasting away.
Any comments are welcome.
Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: just wondering about unit bodies - 03/14/10 03:01 AM

There is a company (in WI, I think) that is making frames for these cars, for the same purpose you question. Try doing a search for them, and then you can talk directly with them.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: just wondering about unit bodies - 03/15/10 01:19 AM

Thanx Eric,
I will look, if it's that outfit in Black River Falls, I can not afford them, but I'll look around. I believe that fat man might have started some thing like this as well.
I'll let ya know What I find out.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: just wondering about unit bodies - 03/15/10 03:28 AM

I'm in northwestern IL, I do a lot of rust repair and subframe repair (or fabrication) on olders cars. Years ago I used to dirt track Mopars, I know these chassis. I can do wonders for a lot less $$$$ then the restorers do. PM me here. Gene
© 2024 Moparts Forums