Moparts

where to get new Flathead 6 carb float

Posted By: badblubeee

where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/20/09 04:17 AM

The title line says it all-is there anywhere to get a NEW float for my Carter ball in ball carb? For some reason this cornsqueezins that they call gasoline eats the solder up in my floats and sinks them.I have 2 floats and have repaired them twice(drilled,drained,solded up the hole and then coated 'em with POR 15)but I don't trust them and would really like a new unit.
Oh, this is for my 51 Cranbrook-I've checked the usual parts houses(NAPA,Auto Zone ect) with no luck.thanks for any help,Dave
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/20/09 04:44 AM

http://www.kanter.com///eCatalog/00064.htm

Posted By: fstfish66

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/20/09 06:11 AM

what about ceramic coating like on headers ??just an idea

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/20/09 09:11 PM

Thanks for the link-I have a catolog on the way as well as a Ply-Do catolog we'll see what they have.
Any other ideas would be welcomed too
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/21/09 12:17 AM

You can also swap to a slant 6 carb. It bolts to the flathead 6 intake and the stock flat 6 linkage hooks up to the carb if you drill the hole in the carb linkage just a little bigger. Factory slant 6 jetting is fine.
Posted By: moparx

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/22/09 01:32 PM

Quote:

You can also swap to a slant 6 carb. It bolts to the flathead 6 intake and the stock flat 6 linkage hooks up to the carb if you drill the hole in the carb linkage just a little bigger. Factory slant 6 jetting is fine.

i've done this swap before, and as stated, it works great ! plus, it's super easy to get kits and parts. well worth thinking [and doing !] about !

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float - 12/23/09 01:16 AM

WOW-that would be awsome,I just happen to have a shelf devoted to slanty carbs! I have always had a slant powered rig of some sort in my collection since 1972. Have a 63 Valiant and a 76 Duster right now.thanks for the info-Dave

Re: where to get new Flathead 6 carb float--UPDATE-- - 07/20/10 03:49 AM

Just thought I'd updaate this in case anyone else could use this info. After endless searching and many breakdowns I came up for a fix for the numorous sinking floats in my carb.I bought a tank sending unit float for a 66 Mustang and transfered the needle valve tab from the original float to it.The Mustang float is the same diamenter and about 1/2 inch shorter in length than the original but seems to work fine. Now I can move on to something else like maybe driving the ol' coupe.
© 2024 Moparts Forums