Moparts

49 dodge back on front burner

Posted By: 49wayfarer

49 dodge back on front burner - 12/10/09 09:27 PM

Rotated the storage of my cars in the garage, and my 1949 Dodge Wayfarer is in my shop. been thinking about it, really want to start chopping it, but should get the ride height set too. 3" lowering blocks make the U bolts lower than the rims if I get a flat, and I really want to do a trangulated 4 link, but not enough $ yet. It has a Dakota front, but wondering, could I get away with cutting a coil on it, after I install the very heavy mopar BB of course. Unless I can find some used Dakota lowering spindles. How bad would a heavy engine on cut springs be?

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/10/09 09:37 PM

I just picked up a 75 dodge 1 ton dually, with a 440. wondering, I need to fab all new front radiator supports, how about using the truck radiator, its brand new. Was thinking, I could just strip the truck and use everything, maybe the steering column and gauges.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/10/09 09:46 PM

Use as much as you can from a donor, within reason.
It helps keep costs down, and you remember the application easier!

As far a ride height, even a full gas tank can throw it off. That's one of those things yo uhave to wait on setting until it's a lot closer to done. You can block up the suspension on a coil spring to where you want, then order springs using the final weight, but with leafs it's pretty hard to approximate exact height.

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/10/09 10:21 PM

Sitting here at work, checking out old HAMB posts. Really thinking of a 2-3" section and a 2-3" chop.
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/11/09 05:07 AM

heres a pic of a 49 dodge chopped,,ide kill to have this car,,my luck it has a CHEVY in it,,

Attached picture 5660486-IMG_2200.jpg
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/13/09 04:03 AM

A Chevy engine (and trans) should be real easy to unload, lots of people think they are the only engine made. Then a sb Mopar with either a 904 or a 727 should fit in the hole without much work.

Look at it this way, most of the hard work is already done. Gene
Posted By: B1Fish540

Re: 49 dodge back on front burner - 12/13/09 06:59 PM

Quote:

heres a pic of a 49 dodge chopped,,ide kill to have this car,,my luck it has a CHEVY in it,,

ya that is sweet...i'd like that one too! remove the mouse and your all set.
© 2024 Moparts Forums