Moparts

cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim.

Posted By: migsBIG

cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 07:51 AM

Well, dad has interests in the 41' plymouth and updating it is pretty mandatory though it was a daily driver. For the last 4 years, I haven't found anyone who could upgrade the frontend until now, and it only a few bits of work to do and not really what I wanted.

Trying to figure out what it would cost to just send oit out and get a clip job done. I'm either leaning towards a fatman sub kit or dakota clip. Minus the cost of parts, what would labor cost to add the assembly to the car? I would like to figure out a ball park price, and since it's not for another year, I can take my time to gather parts and not presure the guy to 'get-it-done' mode. I asked one shop locally, but they quoted me something like $20K for just a subframe and they could't do the work without 1/2 down! (shouldn't have showed up with my friend in a 1969 hemi roadrunner to their shop )).

So I'm looking at:

Subframe type of swap
ad a power brake assembly
modify inner sheetmetal for 360/at, locar floor shift and add motor mounts.
power steering, very nice since two other cars I have are heavy and manual steering (plus my dad is like 72 years young and had a broken arm).
Radiator is still undertermined.

Any info, suggestions, head shaking is welcome.

Here is some pics of the car. It's been sitting since I'm not very good with the 53' desoto overdrive the previous owner installed in it.

Nice, clean body.

minor surface rust in the trunk.

interior was completly redone when I bought it. Pardon the dust, it's been sitting for 4 years.

dash was pretty clean, even the stock radio was rebuilt. Headliner matches the interior.

hot rodded flathead. Probably would have used that if I could figure out how to put an automatic behind it.

Posted By: 79powerwagon

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 09:38 AM

How far are you from Mopar Ron?

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 01:25 PM

I asked him a few years ago and was kindly told that he had a full list and wasn't able to do outside work at the time. Can't blame the guy, he has a lot of cars to make nice
Posted By: bigdad

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 01:52 PM

Fair amount of work to do

Stripping all the parts off (Sheet metal, etc)

Thats about 10-15 hours give or take .

Measuring, getting set up to cut the old stuff off, 5-7 hours (crazy but, it takes time to get it right)

Then about 10-12 hours to fab,weld,etc the new stuff on (just the front stubb)

Brake lines, master cylinder would be another day of work roughly another 10 hours,

Motor mounts, trans fab, mock up ..another 10 hours , everything takes allot of time

50 hours roughly, could easy be 65 ..

@ $75.00 a hour x 50 hours ..I'd guess it right around $4000.00 to $5000.00 to do that stuff

Thats what I would "estimate" it at anyway but, then everyone always adds to the list and next thing you know, you are bidding a complete different job

example, it will need a new rear diff and some type of rear suspension too before you can run brake lines

I am sure there is a shop close to you that can perform the task for a fair price, should be easy to get someone to help
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 03:32 PM

Here is how to put in an auto, if you still want to consider that way.
http://www.wilcap.com/chryslerfh.html

I don't know the local rod shops in that area, so I can't offer any place. How far are you from these guys?
http://www.gambinokustoms.com/

Bigdad gave you a pretty good breakdown, but as always, add at least 10 percent for the stuff that gets found during the work.

If someone says they want to narrow a GM subframe, keep looking.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 07:58 PM

Quote:

Here is how to put in an auto, if you still want to consider that way.
http://www.wilcap.com/chryslerfh.html

I don't know the local rod shops in that area, so I can't offer any place. How far are you from these guys?
http://www.gambinokustoms.com/

Bigdad gave you a pretty good breakdown, but as always, add at least 10 percent for the stuff that gets found during the work.

If someone says they want to narrow a GM subframe, keep looking.

John, you totally rock! I've been looking for a flathead auto conversion for years, and you just dump it right in my lap! I wanted to upgrade and do some rat rods with an auto, just didn't car if it was a dodge, chevy or toyota transmission (I draw the line at ford parts). The reason for the subframe swap was because of engine, suspension & trans clearance/mods needed to upgrade. I am going to take a look and see what I can do to the rod with this conversion.

Bigdad, around these parts, they charge $100-$125hr for custom work, thus not the best senario for me. I will probably have to ship the car out of the erea for a quality shop that knows mopars (most around here know chevy/ford cars and parts) and good work. I could deal with $5000 worth of labor costs, but I would feel safer with someone that is famiular withmopar parts/cars as my dad will be driving the rod more than I will.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 08:36 PM

I'm sure there is someone local to you qualified to do the task

100 bucks a hour is kinda fair, the hours I posted should be real close

$5000.00 - $6500.00 labor , front parts will be about $4000.00 or so

As I have suggested to others, if you want a decent option

Order all the uprights, disc brake stuff from Fatman and Plydo, it all bolts on they even have a rack conversion, think it lowers the stock front about 3 inches

No building things like bumper brackets, radiator supports, cutting, welding, etc ..

If I did another, thats what I'd do just so people could see its a good plan B

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 09:58 PM

I'm sure you guys are sick of seeing this picture. It's a mockup of my '40 frame. It has dropped uprights, disc conversion, and the mounts for the engine and transmission.
The frame required the following removed:
original engine, transmission and rear (unbolted)
I also had to remove the original transmission crossmember (riveted in).
Welding was required for the shock uprights, master cylinder bracket, engine mounts and the new bolt-in transmission crossmember. I also had the old spring perches removed from the rear axle, and new ones welded on.
If you want P/S, they do have kits for installing a Rack & Pinion. You will want to match those components; the common 350 with MII rack tends to be overpowered and darty.

Attached picture 5453082-40mockup.JPG

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 10:19 PM

Never seen you pic of your frame john. Looks pretty nice. I'd probaly end up going a similar rount if I can avoid cutting the frame to do proper mods.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 08/31/09 11:14 PM

Here's a few posts about putting in a power rack
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284701

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144647&showall=1

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67689&showall=1
Posted By: poorboy

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/01/09 03:33 AM

Quote:

Here's a few posts about putting in a power rack
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284701

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144647&showall=1

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67689&showall=1

The "50dodge4x4" guy in these treads is me. A power steering rack without some kind of restriction is a bit qurky at 75 mph. You also want to be sure you relocate the front upper shock mounts from the upper control arm to the frame, that is probably the biggest single driving/handeling, riding improvement you can do on these cars. Gene
Posted By: 49wayfarer

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/02/09 01:23 AM

I did a Dakota subframe in my 49 dodge, and I'm still not sure if that was the best way to go. It was the best choice for me at the time, it was cheap, I could weld, and it offers updated suspension and newer, easier to get parts. I know its been mentioned before, but there are upgrade kits for the existing frames. The biggest problem in my opinion is the frames are so narrow, theres the steering box clearance. That can be fixed with r&p steering and a new column. Now mines not driveable yet, so I don't know the difference in driving quality between an upgraded original and a Dakota or MII, but would think they're fairly close, and it is an old car. If I did it over again, I would do a MII, and check out bigdads car he sold, it looked nice. But I plan on updating the rear with a triangulated 4 link, so by the time its done, not much original frame left.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/03/09 12:00 PM

I appreciate the info you guys are getting for me here. Might go with upgrading the stock suspension and seeing if I can get my buddy to take a look at the ride end of the year.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/03/09 02:18 PM

http://www.gambinocustoms.com/

Go see Alex, he is right in San Jose
and I think would give you great advice and he sells all the parts you need

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/04/09 11:14 AM

thanks for info, I'll have to check them out. They are about 4 miles from me.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/04/09 03:39 PM

Someone told me he was moving his shop right now and the phone is not working but, Alex is a good guy by all accounts and would at very least help with your decisions
Posted By: Lefty

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 09/05/09 07:06 PM

Quote:

but they quoted me something like $20K for just a subframe and they could't do the work without 1/2 down!

You should be able to get a Fatman coil over set up installed for around half that including disc brakes and rack and pinion steering. Add a little more for a tilt column.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/09/09 01:48 AM

looks like I found a nice altornative to a swap and will be checking it out later this week. hope this works out.
Posted By: stateline

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/11/09 04:32 AM

Guess Im not a big spender , 68 Chry NY front sub frame into 53 Hudson Hornet, thats $300 worth or so including the engine and trans

Attached picture 5475519-Picture211.jpg
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/17/09 05:16 AM

rod, nice looking frame,,im highly considering going to the dropped up rights,,the guy i got the car from cut the coils,,it rides very hard,, no suspension travel,,,and shocks are in stock position,,master power brakes,,but have gm bolt pattern,,also fat man rack,,ill have to find out what the correct coil spring to put back in,but im considering a universal air bag kit from air ride,,just in the front,no tank just seperate lines and shrader valves,,,hopng to get on it over the winter,,any one know the correct front coil size ?and where to purchase them ?thanks

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/30/09 07:14 AM

looks like photofhucket still having issues and my pictures can't be viewed. Just click on a pic if you need to see them.

Looks like I found a nice altanative to a clip job and will be getting the specs for everyone here to view soon. If this works out, I'll have a complete frontend with disc, swaybar, powere brakes, rack/pinion tilt column and drivetrain installed for about $5k, and I won't have a lift a finger to do it.
Posted By: rj72cuda

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 09/30/09 10:34 PM

I can tell you My Fab guy builds hot rod FRAMES from end to end for about $5500 fairly complete
of course that is NC dollars.
this guy is no Rookie he has had to cars make National roadster show that he fabed
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/10/09 05:23 PM

migsBIG, if you are looking for good shops in our area, I highly recommend signing up on www.norcal1320.com and checking out the message board. Theres a whole vendors section with local fabricators that are up to any task.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/12/09 07:16 AM

Thanks brad, appreciate that. My friends father builds rods and might have found a solution. Going to reweld the shocks to either the control arms or the frame, use a cavalier rack n pinion and convert to small block, auto trans and disc brakes while using the stock components. The nice thing is that he won't have to clip it, fab any custom panels, keeps the price down and makes it save enough for my pops to cruise around town. I'll see if he can take pictures of it when he gets it to his shop.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/12/09 02:33 PM

Quote:

rod, nice looking frame

Thanks. It's dirty and ugly now, after sitting out for years.

Quote:

I'll have to find out what the correct coil spring to put back in,but im considering a universal air bag kit from air ride,,just in the front,no tank just seperate lines and shrader valves,,,hopng to get on it over the winter,,any one know the correct front coil size ?and where to purchase them ?thanks

No, I have also considered this, since my springs are tired. Another thing I'm looking at is 2 different springs, since the engine offset adds more weight to the right side. I'm going to see if I can find a local circle track racer with wheel scales so I can get a better idea of what the difference is side-to-side. Iactually worked on it a little yesterday, getting ready to get more done with the help of some friends.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/19/09 08:39 PM

Looks like we might be able to get it to his shop by christmas, so things are looking like a go. To fund the project, will have to say good bye to Matt's 79' stepside his brother sold me. Also decided with the funds from the project, going to do a few added things.

Have the car completly rewired with new gauges.

COnvert to disc brakes, have two companies in mind that use the stock spindles.

redo the gastank

add new glass, seals

convert to power booster. Might see if one from a 1974 dodge truck will work on the firewall as it's really small and easier to access than getting on the frame rail mounted ones.

New tires and wheels, probably upgrade to some 15x7 if they will clear the wells.

1966 imperial floor shift tilt/telescopic column.

1968 charger 8 3/4 rearend.

Will see if my local buddies want the stock drivetrain, as I don't need a desoto overdrive or duel carbed fenton flathead six (sorry, I don't want to sell these parts to moparts members) and other parts to help fund the project. If things work out, He could be cruising by next summer!

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 11/25/09 05:32 PM

Looks like dad wants the stepside, so the streetrod has changed priorities. Disc brake conversions, rebuild original suspension, replace front springs, modify front shock location, convert wiring harness over to aftermarket one, b-body 8 3/4 swap, fresh gastank. Still trying to decide if the flathead with the overdrive chevy trans is good, or 360/at conversion with stock manual steering will be better.
Posted By: dynamite

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 11/26/09 12:42 AM

Looks like you want a quality job...be prepared to spend $$$$ as cheap as I am I did it for the price of the doner car ...a 1986 Chrysler 5th ave $250.00 and some work..I got torsion bar suspension ,power steering , disc brakes, steering colume with tilt wheel, and anything else I could take from it..the K frame is set up for a small block...Car rides smooth and straight,and with the 440 I have runs a consistant 12.50 @ 107 mph,,I just came back from a 3000 mile round trip to NJ.and enjoyed the ride..I know I will hear a lot of noise from those who don't like that install ,,,but it works fine for me in my 1956 Plymouth

Attached picture 5626983-larrys56small.jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 11/27/09 05:33 AM

wont hear any flack from me,,,i think its kool,and most people encluding me probably couldnt do it properly,,,

i have a few friends in maryland,both mopar street rods,,that have some how swapped some pieces around and used C body k frames and torsion bar set ups,,ive never seen that before nor would i of thunk it,,

Attached picture 5629918-4385029-resizecar4.jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/29/09 03:26 AM

Quote:

Guess Im not a big spender , 68 Chry NY front sub frame into 53 Hudson Hornet, thats $300 worth or so including the engine and trans

update.

Attached picture 5633205-Picture001(Small).jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/29/09 06:21 PM

ide say its very kool,,why not use what ya can,,and recycle the old parts,,lol,,,bettter riding car,,and saved a ton of bucks,,thats hot rodding,
would love to see pics of the subframe

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 11/30/09 09:40 PM

That would nice for the modern suspension, but the zar never handled badly when we drove it. Problem was more like less than capable braking, unknown short in charging system and cut front spings really were annoying. Ad the difficulty of the od manual trans with my large size and stock steering wheel and this car was less appealing to drive for me or my dad. I think with the upgraded stock suspension, disc upgrade, newer parts will make this car a more fun-to-cruise.

Still trying to decide on a 360 at conversion or stock flathead with an automatic trans conversion.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 12/01/09 02:21 AM

I gotta tell you, I had a 3.9 V6 with an auto in my 39 Plymouth coupe. Though it drove ok with the brake upgrade and rack & pinoin steering (and a Dakota tilt column), fun wasn't exactly how I would discribe the way it drove. I'm sure my 3.9 had a lot more power (even though it needed a rebuild) then your flathead 6 has, and I was pretty disapointed with the power output. If your thinking about putting an auto trans in your car, I would suggest you at least put in a 318 in front of that auto. The flatheads were OK with a manual trans, but I suspect they would be pretty dead with even a good auto behind it. Ever drove a flathead with the fluid drive? The modern trans would be a step above that, but not a very large step. If you really want it to be "fun" install the V8. Gene

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 12/10/09 12:56 PM

Yes, the v option has ben brewing, plus parts finding would be easier.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of vic - 04/06/10 10:50 AM

project delayed due to funds. Might have to cancel everything til next year.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/08/10 01:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

update.

pretty much road ready

Attached picture 5913331-Picture002(Small).jpg
Posted By: ChrisK

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/08/10 04:21 AM

That looks very very,,, nice...

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/09/10 05:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

update.

pretty much road ready

kool swap,,,neat car
Posted By: 1972cudaguy

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/10/10 11:09 AM

stepdown Hudsons are so cool !

and it's part of the Chrysler family tree in a way also ...

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/10/10 06:40 PM

A shot of the dash , car uses all stock 70 B body wiring - with Charger dash and radio .

Attached picture 5918022-Picture013(Small).jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/14/10 01:19 PM

THATS REALLY KOOL SOME MORE PICS OF THE CAR IF YOU HAVE THEM,,

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 05:03 AM

Quote:

THATS REALLY KOOL SOME MORE PICS OF THE CAR IF YOU HAVE THEM,,

here it is last summer , when I was getting it ready for its revival

Attached picture 5926409-Picture%20067.jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 05:09 AM

Its a low budget car , didnt buy much stuff for it, just used some of my extra Mopar parts .

Thanks for all the positive comments about the car!

Attached picture 5926416-Picture005(Small).jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 05:16 AM

got alots of parts from this lineup- Hudsons are down the line

Attached picture 5926424-RP_002.jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 05:23 AM

passenger side door , the black piece in the foreground of the pic is the replacement lower piece I found in the lineup of above pic

Attached picture 5926433-Picture037.jpg

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 02:07 PM

im not sure what year your car is,,havent seen many hudsons but its kool,difernt is KOOL,,,

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/15/10 02:11 PM

who would of thought you could find a husdon in a yard,,,luck is with you

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/19/10 05:19 AM

WOOW

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/20/10 12:48 AM

Quote:

car is a 1953 Hudson Hornet, has 50 tail lites , the line of cars in the pic is actually a river bank in the middle of nowhere. some neat old stuff half buried out there

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 04/20/10 04:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

car is a 1953 Hudson Hornet, has 50 tail lites , the line of cars in the pic is actually a river bank in the middle of nowhere. some neat old stuff half buried out there

very kool,,,just curious what else is burried out there ???

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 06/18/10 12:35 PM

just picked up an engine that might go in 300hp MP 360 in the crate, never run and priced fair. Now just have to get more stuff done so it can be the next one to go to the shop.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/25/11 07:36 AM

Looks like I found some coin to put into the car. Thinking of just freshing the flathead, yanking the 53' desoto overdrivr and putting a checy trans in. Other choice is a 1979 360/727 on stock front rails. Will see what happens after sema when our rod budy shows up and gives a scedule for some availble shop time.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 10/25/11 05:17 PM

IMHO you should call Fatman Fabrications and see what he has to say. He's very well known and successful in the street rod community and I think you may have a choice between dropped spindles and the Fatman version of the Mustang II which is good up to a 4000 lb car. Don't torch the frame, put the kit in the existing frame.

A few hours reading the latest edition of Street Rodder will be educational.
R.
Posted By: savoy64

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/08/11 05:13 AM

check out a jaguar xj6 front clip--i straightened out the spring pocket on the hudson frame and layed it in then put a 5.2 dakota motor in---the newest incarnation when i went to install a cummins 4bt forced me to ditch the jag and do a dakota front clip--i only needed to get 2 inch drop spindles to drop it where it belongs-----look at your hudson and see where the front frame rails bolt in(under the back seat)---made me wish i had cut the dakota rails far enough back to bolt them in there-bob

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/11/11 03:50 PM

as much as my dad loves power steering, it's just gonna have to wait. Think the best thing to do is rebuild stock suspension, new front coils, add power disc brakes, change wheels to 15in steel rims and use radial tires for better driving. The small block will be a nice touch in there and will be easier for him to maintain.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/12/11 05:40 AM

Why not put a rack & pinion steering unit on the car? A Calivier (spelling?) rack works pretty good on this era car. Gene
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 11/25/11 04:37 AM

Nice job! That's a real sleeper.

Re: cost putting subframe in older car? pictures of victim. - 12/02/11 02:01 AM

Quote:

Nice job! That's a real sleeper.

Thanks -- final product

Attached picture 6946021-Picture064(Small).jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums