Moparts

Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!!

Posted By: bigdad

Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 06/25/09 06:12 PM

It is a 53 with a 50 front and it looks AWESOME !!

Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 06/25/09 06:16 PM

that is nice!! i hope it has a mopar motor in it.

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 06/25/09 06:53 PM

Quote:

that is nice!! i hope it has a mopar motor in it.

Nope, sorry

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308449
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 06/25/09 10:03 PM

That truck looks awesome! But if you read my signature, that says it all
Posted By: Fargo Freek

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 07/01/09 05:36 AM

Looks just as good as mine

Posted By: 76dodgeboy

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 07/01/09 03:48 PM

Quote:

Looks just as good as mine

Mine sucks and needs a front clip

Attached picture 5326713-Dodgevoyage190.JPG

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/11/19 12:50 AM

I like it

Attached picture pilothouse.jpg
Posted By: Old Ray

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/11/19 04:15 PM

Now that is nice. Goes to show that ..... with enough imagination ..... and some talent .... you really can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. up
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/13/19 04:39 AM

wasn't the pilot house a 5 window cab?
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/13/19 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By rowin4
wasn't the pilot house a 5 window cab?

That's what I always thought.

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/13/19 05:48 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_B_series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_C_series

Notice the title I used .. "Era"

Posted By: poorboy

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/14/19 03:52 AM

I'm betting the truck bigdad posted has an S10 frame based on how far under the fenders the front wheels are. Probably has a Chevy drive train as well.
Personally, I really don't like it. The sucked in front wheels just look wrong to me, and spoil the rest of the truck.

The trucks were called the Pilot House Era trucks and dated 1948 to 1953. The rear corner windows were an option.

The 1954 truck looked similar, but was a new truck with all new sheet metal. Dodge changed the cab again in mid 1955, and then changed the front sheet metal for the 1957 model. The 1958 was a complete redesigned truck. Gene
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/20/19 02:47 AM

Found one for sale today, semi local to me. Same grille as the OP's. 5 window. crappy over spray paint job that's cracking. dash parts missing. No wipers, roof has some denting and I'm not talking hail.

When I saw it I was thinking $2500 would be pricey. He's asking $4950, lol.

Fairly solid though and not rusty from what I could see, but every corner hit something at one point or another, not hard but enough to notice. it appeared to have the original drivetrain. no idea if it runs or how it drives, no one was there and three of the four tires were real low on air and all cracked.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/21/19 07:02 AM

Yep, $4950 is way over priced. $2,000 to 3,000 would be about all its worth. Most I have payed for one was $2,000. However, I did pay $4,000 for my 50 Dodge panel truck. I paid that only because they are hard to find and it was straight and solid (no rust). Need to get started on the panel. It’s been setting in the corner of my building for three years now.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/23/19 01:58 AM

I like it!!! Cool!!!

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 02/25/19 10:02 PM

Nudder

Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 03/03/19 11:25 PM

I saw one ,don`t remember the year in the 50s I think at one of those vintage/exotic car dealers here in a high dollar area of North Jersey a few years ago. It was totally restored and the price was $35,000 which I thought was totally insane! It was nice though!

Attached picture IMG_0109.jpg
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 03/13/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I like it

What are the rear fenders off of?

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 03/13/19 08:10 PM

The second truck Bigdad posted is a 48-52 Dodge and the rear fenders appear to be original to the truck. The 3rd truck he posted is a 54 or early 55 Dodge. The rear fenders appear to be the correct fenders for it. The rear fenders on the 53 were the same style as the fenders on the 54 or early 55, though the 53 truck was the same body as the 48-52. 54 and early 55 were a redesigned truck and shared the same sheetmetal. The the roof line changed in mid 55 and that cab remained unchanged up through 1960 on the civilian and up to 67 on the Dodge military trucks. The 57 civilian Dodge pickup received a different front clip, and was a stand alone body. I believe 57 was the first year the non-stepside bed could be ordered. The 58 -60 had the same cab as the late 55 but had another front sheet metal change. The 53 and up rear fenders were used until the end of the step side bed production in the early 80s. Gene

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 04/11/19 02:28 AM

Job rated

Attached picture dodgejobrated.jpg

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 04/25/19 02:57 PM

in that same era

Attached picture jobrated.jpg
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 04/25/19 03:48 PM

Always liked this one

Attached picture pu.JPG
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 04/30/19 06:01 PM

I picked this one up a couple months ago. I'm going with the S10 frame conversion kit from code 504 and keeping the patina. It will also be all Mopar with a smalblock. It's a solid little truck !

Attached picture 51 dodge 4.jpg
Attached picture 51 dodge 5.jpg
Posted By: wayfarer

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/02/19 03:10 PM

...all Mopar with a shiverlay frame?

As has been noted many times before, the s-10 has a very narrow track. WMS on the s10 is 54½ or so and the old Dodge is over 62".
I have seen plenty of these swaps and they look kinda goofy.

The Dakota is a better application IMHO.
Posted By: Old Ray

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/02/19 07:20 PM

F1 on a S10 and Dodge on a Dakota subframe. I have / am doing the Dakota subframe, I have a thread on this site.

[Linked Image],[Linked Image]

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/03/19 01:03 AM

My new project. A 49 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup. Came with all the sheet metal except the tailgate. Has a title, and also came with a Dakota 4x4 rolling chassis. Plans are using the Dakota 4x4 chassis, installing a 5.2 Magnum and keeping the efi and an od automatic.

So what is up with the picture thing? I'm trying to post as an accepted file type and its telling me it is an unacceptable file type?
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/03/19 03:15 AM

So what is up with the picture thing? I'm trying to post as an accepted file type and its telling me it is an unacceptable file type?

As for as I know it has to be jpg.

Is this a pic from your computer? If so, are you using the attachment manager or the image tag? From your computer you need to use attachment manager. Off the internet, use image tag.

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/03/19 03:31 AM

I'm using the attachment manager.

I had to change from a windows operating system after windows crashed, and am now using Linux. With the windows I used the same photo editing system for many years and didn't have a problem. The Linux uses its own photo editing I'm not used to, so that could be part of the problem. I think I have them resized small enough but Moparts tells me I need to post pictures in JPEG or PNG (I've tried both) but it tells me the file system it tells me to use is no longer accepted. realcrazy Gene

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/03/19 04:11 AM

I know nothing about Linux (and not much more about Windows honestly). Sorry. frowwn
Posted By: belv2vert66

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/03/19 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by wayfarer
...all Mopar with a shiverlay frame?

As has been noted many times before, the s-10 has a very narrow track. WMS on the s10 is 54½ or so and the old Dodge is over 62".
I have seen plenty of these swaps and they look kinda goofy.

The Dakota is a better application IMHO.

You are right, I used that "all Mopar" term too loosely. I'll post some build pics as it progresses.

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/04/19 01:48 AM

OK, lets try this picture thing again.
Pictures of my new project, a 49 Dodge 1/2 ton. All the sheet metal is there except the tailgate. I came with a title and a 4x4 Dakota chassis. I will need to make another trip to get the chassis.
Plans are to put the sheet metal on the Dakota 4x4 frame, install a 5.2 Magnum and an od auto trans. Its going to be fuel injected. This will likely be a pretty slow build, unless the other truck sells and I have money to work with. Gene

Attached picture P1010065.JPG
Attached picture P1010066.JPG
Attached picture P1010067.JPG
Attached picture P1010068.JPG

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/04/19 04:48 AM

"OK, lets try this picture thing again. Pictures of my new project, a 49 Dodge 1/2 ton....."

'49 Dodge? I see a mid-'80's Toyota. confused

j/k biggrin

Looks like a good start for your project! Glad to see you're leaving the FI hooked up. thumbs
Posted By: moparx

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/04/19 02:11 PM

gene, you always come up with the neatest projects, and you work at LIGHTNING speed to completion, compared to me. biggrin
looks like this newest one will be a replacement for your blue truck ?
beer

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/05/19 04:13 AM

The big blue 50 Dodge 4x4 was a great truck that served me well for over 12 years before it met the lady that "didn't see it" head on. That was way back in 2011!
Big Blue (sorry, lost the pictures in the last computer crash) was replaced with a red 93 Dakota 4x4, and the crash provided the opportunity for the 48 Plymouth coupe to move forward at a much faster pace.
The red Dakota served me well from 2011 until the summer of 2018 when the rust worms claimed enough of the frame I decided to quit driving it.
3 years ago I bought 39-47 Dodge truck sheetmetal at a swap meet to build a shop truck with the intent of replacing the soon to need to be replaced Red Dakota 4x4. The progress on the replacement truck got delayed by several things that required my attention. When it became evident the replacement truck wasn't going to be ready before it was needed, I had to buy a fill in. The fill in was a 96 Dakota extended cab 2wd. It served over last winter, which was pretty rough around here weather wise. This was the 1st year in over 25 years I didn't have a 4x4. We got by (both of us being now retired helped that a lot).
So I'm just at the finishing edge of the build that was suppose to be my new shop truck (also a 2 wd), though I really don't need a shop truck anymore. That truck is my 39 I'll post a few pictures of it. This 39 (39-47 are about the same) is the oldest truck I've ever had, I love this body style, but now that it is drivable I have discovered the cab is a bit too confining for the pretty large guy I am. Its OK for short trips, but that isn't what I intended to do with it. My wife and I have decided we should sell it and build a truck with a larger cab.
I stumbled across this 49 Dodge on Craig's list, and the sandblasted early 90s Dakota 4x4 chassis was included with it on the purchase price. The Dakota frame is just a rolling frame, but I still have my red Dakota 4x4 that functioned with the exception of the rotted out frame. Merging everything together will produce what I think will be a perfect truck for me. A bigger cab, a reliable early 90s Dakota 4x4 chassis (from down south that has been blasted and primed), and my well known doner truck. The sale of the 39 will have a huge impact at speed at which it will come together.
The 49 will probably not be built as high nor as tough as the old 50 was (it was built to pull a car trailer I no longer have, and to plow snow. My needs are different now then they were then, but I do suppose most everyone will be viewing it as a replacement for Big Blue, I know my son has already made that connection. I do intend on having it painted a color other then blue, but at this point I don't know what that might be. Gene

Attached picture P1010045.JPG
Attached picture P1010044.JPG
Attached picture P1010046.JPG
Attached picture P1010047.JPG
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 05/08/19 01:48 AM

Not mine but I really like the way this one looks chopped

Attached picture 00W0W_2UlIEmwc5Aq_1200x900.jpg

Re: Dodge PILOT HOUSE era truck, very cool !!!! - 03/22/20 02:21 PM

Time for a new picture

Attached picture piloth.jpg