Moparts

Cable driven wipers?

Posted By: Cheeto

Cable driven wipers? - 03/13/09 06:46 AM

Has anybody actually used these? Problems? Can someone explain how they operate? I know how link driven wipers work but can't seem to imagine the mechanics of the cable drive system. The pics of the kits I've seen are extremely fuzzy and vague.
Posted By: Joatha

Re: Cable driven wipers? - 03/13/09 02:23 PM

Its really a kind of screw gear set up. The cable is attached to a gear which is functionally in line with the cable - kind of like it is wrapped around the cable (although I bet its just bonded in some way). That gear engages a gear on the wiper shaft pivot. So, the cable turns one way and it turns the gear in one direction which moves the wiper. It reverses the direction and turns it in the other direction. Its like a driveshaft (and pinion) attaching to the ring gear. The driveshaft is the cable. The pinion is the gear at the end of the cable and the ring gear is the gear on the wiper shaft.

Having it on a cable just allows it to be routed around curves.

Make sense?
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Cable driven wipers? - 03/14/09 06:25 AM

I've got them in my Coupe.
I've heard people have had trouble installing them in finished cars because of the way the wiper toers are but in my 1940 Plymouth I could have easily installed them if the car was finished painted.

I tucked the wiper motor up under the dash on the passenger's side... I modified my original wiper towers. No troubles.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Cable driven wipers? - 03/14/09 07:23 PM

Another way to describe the wire-wrapped cable is to picture a worm gear.

Attached picture 5092702-WormWheel_gearbox.jpg
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Cable driven wipers? - 03/15/09 05:27 AM

Quote:

Another way to describe the wire-wrapped cable is to picture a worm gear.

Mine look almost like a pipe cleaner, I kid you not!
© 2024 Moparts Forums