Moparts

Magnum conversion harness.

Posted By: Cheeto

Magnum conversion harness. - 02/25/09 05:39 PM

http://www.hotwireauto.com/?page=sales-dcx
These guys want $800 and your stock harness.
The Painless harness is reportedly $1,000.
I still can't seem to find reliable info on the Mopar Performance one.

Why can't somebody just make a simple harness for these engines? They've been out for 17 years!!! M.P. should have had a conversion harness available in 1993 but dropped the ball in my opinion. I want a harness that allows me to buy a wrecked whatever and use all the sensors/computer/etc off the original engine but eliminates the things a street rod doesn't need. Is that asking too much?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/25/09 06:33 PM

For the tiny demand as that harness has, yes it is asking for an awful lot.

MP does sell it, the part number is P5153687, and similar to the others, it's got a retail price of $872. Must be used with obd2.
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/25/09 07:05 PM

Cheeto, i found this place that does the HEMI harness's. maybe you can contact them and see if they do the magnun engines too
$200.00 is not to bad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...bayphotohosting
Posted By: patrick

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/25/09 07:59 PM

Quote:

For the tiny demand as that harness has, yes it is asking for an awful lot.

MP does sell it, the part number is P5153687, and similar to the others, it's got a retail price of $872. Must be used with obd2.

I think it's one of those "if you build it, they will come" pieces. the beer barrel intake is pretty cool looking, especially all polished up, that if there had been a reasonably priced harness on the market in the 90's (along with a computer that was programmable for minor mods like headers, different cam, etc), that EFI swaps into older mopars & street rods using magnum engines would be very popular.

you could talk to www.customefis.com and see if he could build you one to use a flexible (programming wise) GM TPI computer....

or talk to board member jerry about building you a harness and megasquirt controller.

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/26/09 03:31 AM

Quote:

I think it's one of those "if you build it, they will come" pieces.

That's my point exactly. In my (usually useless) opinion, M.P. should have been all over this as soon as the Magnums came out. They could have built different "Stage" kits that piggybacked on the basic swap.
Stage I bone stock engine.
Stage II Hopped up MP computer
Stage III MP computer and MP cam
Stage IV MP comp, MP cam and MP heads etc.
You get the base level business and then offer upgrades so the customer returns to you in the future.

Again, I think this is what they should have done. Now they should probably focus more on the Hemi swaps I guess.

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/27/09 05:07 AM

Hey Cheeto, I got this message from the guy on ebay, he make them for the 5.2 and 5.9 magnum

Dear moparron426,

Hi, yes I can redo the 5.2 and 5.9. Its $199 a harness and $25 for shipping. Just let me know.
-Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...RTQ:MOTORS:1123

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/27/09 08:22 AM

Thanks Ron!!!
I e-mailed him to ask a few specific questions. Looks like exactly what MP should have come out with. Truth be told it probably is the same principle. He's eliminating the unneeded wires from a used factory harness and MP is just building a new one without the extra wires. Call me a cheapo but that harness isn't worth $700+. I bought an engine harness for a Nissan from the dealer just the other day. Granted it was about 1/4 of the wiring/plugs involved in the MP harness but it only cost me $37.00. No special pricing, just a guy in off the street.

I applaud the E-bay guy for doing what I was contemplating. Getting a factory manual and figuring out what wires are not needed for a stand-alone set-up. Kudos to him and his "rodders attitude".
Posted By: wagonman

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/27/09 11:42 PM

Cheeto i have been looking for the same thing.I have decided to use a carb on my 360 Magnum in my 1934 Plymouth coupe.I would like to convert back to efi some day so i am keeping the original intake and sensors.I did not get the harness or computor with my engine so i would have to get those first before contacting the guy on ebay.Street and Performance in Mena Ark also sells a harnes but the guy from Hotwire told me he is the one who makes them.Street and Performance told me to buy a newer Hemi and not to buy the Magnum.I guess he thought i was rich.
Posted By: dirt

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/01/09 02:29 PM

i found the guy on ebay also and was going to have him make me a harness for my hemi. seems like a fair deal to me
Posted By: ejtmopar

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/04/09 08:52 PM

Good info here! I want to swap in a magnum in my 78 p/u. Ill be using this guy too!
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/04/09 11:16 PM

Ok, I am also in need of a harness for this motor below. Just bought it 5.7 HEMI for the 38 Plymouth business coupe. I am going to do what Ron suggested and contact the guy. However, I have no original harness, so I am thinking I am screwed. We shall see.

Dave

Attached picture 5070461-DSCF0192[1].jpg
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/05/09 12:51 AM

See if the factory harness is still there. I doubt Mike or anyone else in the area would mind snagging it for you quick...beats a grand for the other one!
Posted By: RUMBLON

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/05/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

See if the factory harness is still there. I doubt Mike or anyone else in the area would mind snagging it for you quick...beats a grand for the other one!

It was sold of prior to be buying the motor. I will figure osmething out. At least now I have the motor and once it shome I can use it to moch up thechassis.

The same company makes a stand alone for $499.00 I guess that means no core needed but I will await a response from the,

Dave
Posted By: shortbed88

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 10/23/09 11:00 PM

Sorry to chime in so late on this. Could someone direct me to the seller on ebay that modifies the factory magnum harnesses. I searched and can't find anything. Thanks

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 10/24/09 12:02 AM

Quote:

Sorry to chime in so late on this. Could someone direct me to the seller on ebay that modifies the factory magnum harnesses. I searched and can't find anything. Thanks

YES dirt or cheeto or anyone else that got his # or email address from this thread could you please post it, I lost ALL my email's from back then and his add fell off my ebay watch page

I really would like to have the info again. Ron.....
Posted By: fstfish66

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 10/24/09 04:40 AM

street and performance can help you with a harness,,,

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 10/29/09 12:53 AM

Quote:

street and performance can help you with a harness,,,

I believe that hotwire makes the S&P wiring kit, but at $700.-$800. compared to the $200. from the ebay guy looks much better to me.
I have 2 stock harness's that I would like to have reworked.

SSOOOO if anyone has the ebay guy's contact info PLEASE post it again...... Ron....

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 11/09/09 10:41 PM

Back up.
anyone have the ebay guys contact info?????
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 11/13/09 09:15 PM

Did anyone ever user the ebay harness?
What does it take to use this?

I finally got the painless setup to work on the 5.9, but it was way more expensive.
Plus they aren't planning on selling it now.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/04/10 04:38 AM

Count me in on interested people in such a harness. I am having nightmares thinking of the mess of graftint 2 harness myself.
I looked and teh guys item number was "unavailable" due to age of poast on Ebay.
Can someone PM me this info? I have a complete harness here from a 94 Dakota' I'd rather stay with OBD-I since I have no intent of running cats on the car this engine is planned for. (OBD-II requires it because of the after cat O2 sensor)
Posted By: Kevinb71

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/04/10 11:40 PM

I don't know if this is the same guy you were talking about, but he offers Mopar harnesses for Magnum's and Hemi's.
www.hotwireauto.com

It's $689 for a converted factory harness
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/05/10 02:00 AM

I will do a harness for a magnum. Just need to know what the PCM/harness is out of, and send me your old harness. I usually do it for half of some of the vendors mentioned here. So it would be 350$.

Again the guy on ebay is much cheaper...but I can not do it as cheap as him. I have done my own 5.7 hemi harness, and I am doing 3 more. I have it posted under 5.7/6.1 hemi harness in the NEW PARTS section.

Justin

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/05/10 02:30 AM

Justin,how much of the harness is needed?
just whats under the hood?
and when you are done with it how many wires have to be hooked up to make every thing work?
I have 3 harnesses here for the 2 projects I have and would like to make them work as simply as possible. Ron....

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/05/10 02:59 AM

i will have to look at the schematic, but probably a ground, 12v at all times, ign, and maybe a crank feed from ignition switch. it will also have 3 relays incorporated in it. Oh yeah, and 12v to your elec fuel pump...

I just need the harness that is for the engine.
It should have, injectors, coils, TP sensor, crank sensor, distributor pick-up, IAC, ECT, IAT, & 3 plugs or 1 large plug for the PCM (depending on year).

It would be best to have the harness off of the engine you are going to use. There are suttle differences in connectors through out the years.

Starting at the end of next week, I will be able to do them. This is not my full time job, just make a little extra money, and help people out with these mopar EFI swaps.

You can call me with questions... 618-978-9426.

Justin
Posted By: lunacy

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/05/10 03:54 AM

so, are these harnesses for putting the fuel injected magnum motor in an older car or for converting it over to carb? I still haven't wired the Magnum that's stuck in my 73 truck yet, i figured i would just hook up the engine and transmission stuff and leave the rest. Is there more to it than that?

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/05/10 12:38 PM

Yes, the harness would be to retro fit a magnum engine into an older vehicle.

Remember though, the crank sensor is picked up at the bellhousing. (bellhousing is notched for crank sensor).

This would take a newer a518/500 trans or manual trans.

My harness would be to use the stock EFI, no carb.

Justin

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/07/10 02:12 AM

Uh-oh...can an older 727 be notched to accomodate the crank sensor?

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/07/10 03:57 AM

BTW: Just saw a familiar name mentioned in the back of Street Rodder magazine. Care to guess who's it is?

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/07/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

BTW: Just saw a familiar name mentioned in the back of Street Rodder magazine. Care to guess who's it is?

Maybe Me

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post5749187

Posted By: moparx

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/07/10 12:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe Me

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post5749187

not "familiar".... FAMOUS

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/07/10 06:27 PM

Quote:

i have never tried it, but i think it is worth a shot. You will also need a flexplate for a magnum engine. There are a couple different styles of flexplates and it can cause a no start if the wrong one is used with the wrong PCM.

(other option is use the case from a518, and put your 727 guts inside. the 727 extension housing would be used in place of the 518 OD unit)

justin
Posted By: dodgedartgt

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/09/10 01:02 AM

I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern on the rear of the main case between a 727 and 518 tail housing are different. I would suggest getting a core 727 case, a core 518 case and do a "cut & paste"... Cut a section out of the 518 bell with two mounting bolt locations, bolt the 727 case to the back of an engine, line up a similar cut, then bolt everything together and have the two pieces TIG'd. I hope I've made sense in how I described what I'm envisioning.
Mikey B

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/13/10 04:11 AM

Quote:

IDK why the trannys are even notched; the crank sensor actually bolts to and fits into the block.
If worst came to worst bolt the 727 to the Mag block and mark the 727 case where the slot is on the block and drill/cut/notch from there.

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/13/10 09:48 PM

the sensor does bolt to the block, but it sits in the bellhousing. It picks up tdc for each cylinder by a shutter window in the flex plate, hence the reason for the notch.

Attached picture 5802284-3025474759_0c030f0f88.jpg
Posted By: unrulyprocuda

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/25/10 07:08 AM

can you bolt the a518 trans with overdrive to the 5.7 hemi and use your wiring harness that you build or the hotwire harness and it will work has any one done this combo and was it sucessful im like several people why cant you use the overdrive transmission that comes with most pull outs i have been told that the trans that comes with these motors will not work because the abs brake sensors will not let you has anyone found a way around this problem and used the factory od transmission im currently installing a 5.7 out of a 2007 300c in a 68gtx convertible clone i know you can use a keisler 5 speed or auto trans thats 5,000.00 or use a 727 smallblock and the jvx adaptor and flywheel thats alot less expensive but i want overdrive automatic and fuel injection like everyone else ive also been told that a truck 545rfe trans will also work with lots of mods to the tunnel along with hanging down lower on the bottom any help would be appreciated

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 02/26/10 02:15 AM

That is what my dads plan is...he is putting a 6.1 hemi in a 68 coronet R/T, with an a518 or a500.

The 45rfe is too bulky
The NAG (from the cars) i dont know much about. i know it doesnt have a slip yoke.

I think for an auto a A518 would be the way to go, with any magnum or HEMI conversion.

That is my opinion...

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/04/10 05:39 AM

Quote:

can you bolt the a518 trans with overdrive to the 5.7 hemi and use your wiring harness that you build or the hotwire harness and it will work has any one done this combo and was it sucessful im like several people why cant you use the overdrive transmission that comes with most pull outs i have been told that the trans that comes with these motors will not work because the abs brake sensors will not let you has anyone found a way around this problem and used the factory od transmission im currently installing a 5.7 out of a 2007 300c in a 68gtx convertible clone i know you can use a keisler 5 speed or auto trans thats 5,000.00 or use a 727 smallblock and the jvx adaptor and flywheel thats alot less expensive but i want overdrive automatic and fuel injection like everyone else ive also been told that a truck 545rfe trans will also work with lots of mods to the tunnel along with hanging down lower on the bottom any help would be appreciated

THEY DONT MAKE IT EASY DO THEY,,,as for an answer to your question,,,the curent car hemi trannys read off of the ABS wheel speed like you mentioned,,there is a guy over on the for A-bodies only site that has created his own mechinism to fool the 6.1 auto tranny,,and has worked out useing ALL STOCK FACTORY STUFF from a pull out 6.1 and trany from a magnum,,,he is pretty clever or has some nasa friends,,he has built a 5.7 swinger,,all stock pull out stuff, im not sure which trans in the swinger,, now he is almost finished a 68 notch back cuda 6.1 and tranny out of a magnum,,tons of pics and info,,he is curently out of commision with a knee replacement,,,i cant remember the topic title,,several guys on that board converting to modern hemis,,his screen name is 5.7 dart or 5.7 hemi,,sorry my memory isnt what it use to be,,try searching SRT 68 and see the car is called rootbeercuda,,

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/24/10 05:16 PM

Is anyone close to firing a magnum engine in their project. I have one almost complete, I would like to try.

PM me or reply to this thread. This harness if for a stock engine with exhaust. It will be a 95 and older, comes with the PCM and 95% of the sensors attached.

Justin
Posted By: lunacy

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/12/10 01:07 PM

I have a 95 motor in my old truck that's ready to go minus wiring. I am using an aftermarket inline electric fuel pump so I can re-use the stock tank. It is running headers with bungs welded into the down pipes right after the collector. I am running the 95 automatic as well. Does any of the underhood harness work the transmission as well? I know I am missing the overdrive button and wires from the dash and the under dash harness as well. Do I need any of that for the engine/trans?

Justin, whenever you're ready to build another harness let me know.
Posted By: 4speeds4me

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/19/10 08:44 PM

Is this process likely to be easier or more difficult with the pre-Magnum 318? I have a FI 318 out of a 1990 PU that Dad was thinking about using in his 56...

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/20/10 04:13 AM

Quote:

Is this process likely to be easier or more difficult with the pre-Magnum 318? I have a FI 318 out of a 1990 PU that Dad was thinking about using in his 56...

a pre magnum,,318 is a standard LA 318, standard manual fuel pump,and carb, electronic distributor,,,not much to it, and no computer to deal with
Posted By: shinnery

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/21/10 06:58 AM

Wouldn't a 90 318 have been a TB Injection? I know my 88 RC with a 318 is TBI. So there would have been a primative computer just not a primative as an 81-83 IMP.
Bryce

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/21/10 12:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

a pre magnum,,318 is a standard LA 318, standard manual fuel pump,and carb, electronic distributor,,,not much to it, and no computer to deal with

'88 they switched from carb to a holley EFI in trucks.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/25/10 12:32 PM

So, what ever happened to the guy on ebay doing the harnesses?

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/26/10 07:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

also in 88 the 318 went to a roller cam, basically a mangnum engine, i think with still only 5 valve cover bolts,,,in 89 the 360 went roller cam,,magnum engine, and i believe still 5 bolt valve covers,, with the high swril heads?? not sure what style rockers

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/28/10 10:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

also in 88 the 318 went to a roller cam, basically a mangnum engine, i think with still only 5 valve cover bolts,,,in 89 the 360 went roller cam,,magnum engine, and i believe still 5 bolt valve covers,, with the high swril heads?? not sure what style rockers

they were both LA heads. the 318 went to 302 heads from ~85-91 and the 360 used 308's from 89-92. both use shaft rockers. magnums with their AMC V8 style pedestal rockers didn't come out until '92 (318) and 93 (360)

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 04/28/10 03:07 PM

I would not wast the time on a 88-91 TBI; the last one I had ran good but MPG? in town empty? 8 MPG. on the road empty? 10.5MPG. in town towing? and/or loaded bed? 8 MPG. Empty 70MPH down the interstate, no T gate, 35 MPH tailwind? a whopping 12MPG. this was an 88 D 100, 2WD shortbed, 318.
the current 88-91 TBI albatross in the garage: 89 RC 360, my son's, recently bought; cannot get the TBI to run correctly to save my life. My solution? It's getting a ThermoQuad! Screw the TBI!

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 07/17/10 06:55 PM

ok any one have any thoughts???

im looking to replace the old style dodge red ram hemi in my rod i think,,,,

i located a 5.2 test mule engine from a guy that use to or still does?? work for chrysler,,says this engine would have less then 12000 miles,,but was never in a street vehicle,,pics of it looks like new,,have not gone to se it yet,,

1997 5.2 complete,with alt,a/c compperssor,mech fan,,flex plate,,exhaust manifolds,engine harness...,etc,,

says he will throw in a J-TECH computer says same computer as in a dakots/jeep cherokee,,etc,,

my rod had a 318 in in once upon a time,,and i want to re use my 904 (999 low 1st gear)tranny,,

question notching the bell housing for the pick up????

converting my mopar external voltage regulator to use the magnum alternator with internal regulator ???/

converting my engine harness to work with my already wired car,,????

use a vette fuel filter with return line built in,,,????

a guy i have met has same car,,used a buick road master wagon fuel tank with intake fuel pump,,

this motor has the Y pipe with single O2 SENSOR im sure the Y pipe wont fit,,but can weld a bung on my current dual exhaust???

any thing im missing??? any ideas??? do.s or dont,s ???? thanks in advance,,,

the guy that reworks these harneses have you done any yet and seen that they fire the engine??

does the computer need reflashing????

ive since talked to in person the hot wire people,,,they no longer sell to street and performance,,

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/13/13 05:42 PM

Okay,

So I'm ressurecting this very old thread...

Is there a current, and AFFORDABLE option to install a stock 5.2 / 5.9 in an older vehicle? My preference is for a harness that handles engine parameters only as I wish to back it up with a clutch.

Thnx, Mike in FL

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/13/13 08:19 PM

Yes I build one for 250 plus shipping back to your house if you supply the harness or 300$ if I supply the harness. It will only engine, and trans (but only if usuing the older 4 speed overdrive 46rh) unit.

I have done three harnesses and working on 4 & 5 now.

You would need a 143 tooth flywheel that has the notches for the crank sensor. Or a custom 130 tooth flywheel made, if you need the small diameter!

Let me know if I can help!

Justin

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/19/13 12:12 AM

Hi Justin,

Thnx for the reply. I will want to do this, probably over the summer. I already have a harness from a '93(?) 5.2, but I seem to recall that I busted one of the injector connectors while I was removing it. Again, my plan is to back it up with a clutch, so I'll be using the AX15 bellhousing, so I have provision for the crank position sensor.

Originally, I planned on putting an AX15 behind a Magnum headed 360, so I already have the 143 flywheel from a 3.9, knowing it would need to be rebalanced. (I already understood the flywheel balance factor on Magnum blocks is different than that of same displacement LA blocks.) I suppose I'll have to get the appropriate 5.2 or 5.9 flywheel to move forward with this planned project.

Thnx much,
Mike in FL

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/19/13 07:55 PM

In reference to your question about the 5.2, flywheel, yes you would need a flywheel for a 5.2, the 3.9 does not have the correct number of notches. A 5.9 flywheel is only used with a 5.9 do to being externally balanced.

PM me if you have more questions!

Justin

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 03/24/13 02:11 AM

Thnx Justin!

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/18/13 02:31 AM

Justin, my son just picked up a 64 dodge wagon with a poly in it and we got to talking engine swaps and he wants to take the 5.2 engine and od trans I have here from a 93 dakota
and use it in the wagon.

do you still have a harness that would work with this setup.
he said he could get a new MP computer for it.

we wondered what would be needed to use the od trans(just a push button switch)???

we know we would have to do something about the fuel pump and a return line.

can I give you a call sometime and iron out some details thanks Ron...
Posted By: Flipper1938

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/19/13 04:22 PM

After reading threads like this, I understand why people stick 350 chevy motors in mopars!

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/19/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

After reading threads like this, I understand why people stick 350 chevy motors in mopars!

yeah but I would still go through all the B.S. just to not have a chevy in a mopar

a lot of people just follow the leader and go with whats easy
rather than going with whats right....

Yeah I wish mopar had a harness for the magnum and hemi engines at a reasonable price like the chevys have.

hopefully as more engines show up in junkyards the price will come down on engines and wiring. Ron....

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/27/13 06:55 AM

Quote:

Justin, my son just picked up a 64 dodge wagon with a poly in it and we got to talking engine swaps and he wants to take the 5.2 engine and od trans I have here from a 93 dakota
and use it in the wagon.

do you still have a harness that would work with this setup.
he said he could get a new MP computer for it.

we wondered what would be needed to use the od trans(just a push button switch)???

we know we would have to do something about the fuel pump and a return line.

can I give you a call sometime and iron out some details thanks Ron...

RON there are kits to modify the mopar OD trans to shift in to OD and out automatically, it consists of a few pressure switches to do the in and out of the OD, it depends what OD trans u have a 2 wire plug or 3 wire plug,,any thing more the nthat and its computer controlled,,, ill dig around and see if i still have the web site saved,, if u e mail me and remind me,,, or do a search on it,, it has a full description and pics on the set up,, on the web pretty straight forward don fstfish66@aol.com

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/27/13 06:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

yeah but I would still go through all the B.S. just to not have a chevy in a mopar

a lot of people just follow the leader and go with whats easy
rather than going with whats right....

Yeah I wish mopar had a harness for the magnum and hemi engines at a reasonable price like the chevys have.

hopefully as more engines show up in junkyards the price will come down on engines and wiring. Ron....

RON i totally agree,,chevy is popular only because of pricing i believe,,they sell more then can make it cheaper,,, chevy never invented any thing,,they only copied and made it cheaper,,cause they didnt have to do the R&D,,,,follow the looser u meen,,lol monkey see monkey doo,,,,mopar in a mopar,, ford in a ford,, chevy who cares,,
Posted By: BD79RC

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 05/29/13 11:49 PM

Wish I'd seen this a year ago. I have both OBD!/OBD2 manifold/t-bodies, harnesss and pcms from a 93 and 95. the 95 has a hypertech tune. but with the Hughes cam i have in mine i'm not sure the OBD1 pcms will handle it.it's small but on a 112* lsa.

Attached picture 7723968-BigBear.jpg
Posted By: Bzzzz

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/20/13 11:03 PM

what about the non viper V10 truck engines? are you doing anything for those ?

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/21/13 07:19 AM

Quote:

what about the non viper V10 truck engines? are you doing anything for those ?

AND WHAT WOULD YOU PUT ONE OF THOSE ANKERS IN ?? I CANT IMAGINE WHAT ONE OF THOSE WEIGHS,,
Posted By: Bzzzz

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/22/13 12:17 AM

an old Jeep wagoneer
Posted By: mgoblue9798

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/05/16 01:04 AM

I know I am dragging this up from the dead, but WLTDM'S PM box is full.
Is anyone currently selling the magnum conversion wiring harness?
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/05/16 04:57 AM

I can't speak for the quality, but, HotwireAuto lists one....

Wiring Linky.

shruggy
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/05/16 05:57 AM

$930 for the hot rod version, wow. I can buy a running magnum for less than that and mod the factory harness if need be.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Magnum conversion harness. - 06/12/16 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
$930 for the hot rod version, wow. I can buy a running magnum for less than that and mod the factory harness if need be.

Yea, my son and I had that same thought when he decided to install a 5.9 with the electronic trans into his 57 Dodge wagon. He bought a running motor, trans, factory wiring harness and computer.

I've rewired several cars in my time, and I have adapted a coupe of efi throttle body systems to older cars, wiring in not new to me.

That said, I spent many hours between the factory wiring diagrams and the actual wiring harness trying to determine what I could eliminate (not using the dash or overhead monitoring consul), and trying to reduce the process to one fuse box. In the end, I came to the determination that if it would work, it would be great, but if a problem devolved, I would have no way of knowing what I may, or may not have done wrong.

My son finally bought the Hot Wire Kit. We had 4 wires to connect to make the motor run, it came with a fuse box, and there were feeds built into the harness to power several options. Best of all, there is a real person on the tech line, if you have a question or an issue. We had one we created ourselves, and they helped walk us through fixing our mistake. We should have done that from the start, it would have moved the car building process forward by several months.

I guess you need to determine what things you "farm out" on your project, and what you do yourself. A custom engine harness on a computer controlled motor and trans is a pretty complex part of a large project that many would be overwhelmed by. I can wire the car, give me a free standing functioning engine harness, which Hot Wire has done. Gene
© 2024 Moparts Forums