Moparts

need help w/33 ply ext. door handle

Posted By: 2abodymcodes

need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/10/16 07:30 PM

need to remove the base (escutcheon) from my exterior door handles so I can send the handles out for chrome. I can't figure out how they come apart and I don't want to break them because they are very hard to find. anyone know how they come apart ?

Attached picture 003.JPG
Posted By: Old Ray

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/10/16 09:48 PM

No, sorry, but have you tried pushing the escutcheon up / out to see if there is a wire clip under it?

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/10/16 10:13 PM

None that I can see
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/11/16 12:33 AM

The handle shaft is probably swaged to the escutcheon. You'll have to remove the swage and reinstall the handle with some sort of homemade device....possibly a snap ring.

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/11/16 02:48 AM

Thanks, but what does swaged mean ?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/11/16 07:38 AM

Swaging is a form of crimping; material on one part is crimped in order to retain another part. In this case the handle shaft might have a groove (where the shaft changes from round to square) into which a ring is crimped to keep the handle in the escutcheon but still allowing the handle to turn.

Just spitballing, not positive that's the way it's retained.
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/12/16 06:46 AM

If that is swaged or somehow retained where the ring must be destroyed to remove the handle you can still secure it a couple other ways.Either make a collar to fit over the square shaft with a set screw or drill the square stock for a roll pin and use a washer to retain the escutcheon.Maybe add a wave washer/nylon washer to reduce rattling while there. It looks like the first 1/2" is what engages to the door latch so I'm assuming you have room for either.~RT

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/13/16 04:45 PM

Thanks for the helpful ideas. Just sent the handles out for re-chrome. I'll figure it out when they come back.
Posted By: moparx

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/14/16 03:14 PM

did you get the handles apart, or did you send them out the way they were ?
beer

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/18/16 06:51 PM

i took them apart. I destroyed the thin steel cones that hold them together but i'll come up with a way to put them back together when I get them back from the chrome. I also could not figure how to get the key lock out of the passenger side. I didn't want to break it, so I told the chrome shop to chrome over top of it.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/18/16 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By 2abodymcodes
i took them apart. I destroyed the thin steel cones that hold them together but i'll come up with a way to put them back together when I get them back from the chrome. I also could not figure how to get the key lock out of the passenger side. I didn't want to break it, so I told the chrome shop to chrome over top of it.

Look at these RETAINERS and see if one of them looks like the right one.

As for the lock, it'll never work again if they chrome it. A lock smith could have removed it for you.
Posted By: Dodge33

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/21/16 01:08 AM

The lock will be melted/ destroyed. I have a 33 dodge coupe and the trunk handle lock was destroyed during chrome.

Re: need help w/33 ply ext. door handle - 12/22/16 03:14 AM

Yea, I know that the lock will be destroyed. I didn't want to take a chance on breaking my handle getting the lock out. I'll probably never need to lock it anyway
© 2024 Moparts Forums