Moparts

oooolllllld brake drums

Posted By: Mr.Yuck

oooolllllld brake drums - 11/02/15 05:27 PM

So I'm knocking out the studs on these old drums (51 dodge pick up). The pick up is 1/2 ton at some point the fronts have been swapped to 3/4 or 1 ton as the drums are 11x2.5. These are 2 piece, the hub goes into the drum and the lugs seem to be pressed thru both. In any event I managed to bend one drum slightly (the face) Now do I straighten it and roll or does anybody know where I can find such and animal???

Attached picture drum.jpg
Posted By: Crizila

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/03/15 12:36 AM

Try to straighten it. Put it back on the spindle ( without any shoes or internals ) and dial indicate it.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/03/15 01:18 AM

Wow this doesn't look good, how about a scarebird disc brake swap?

https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=134
Posted By: moparx

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/03/15 01:39 PM

did you grind the swedge from the studs first ? how were you supporting the drum from the back side ? were you using a press or just a BFH ? any numbers on the hub or drum ?
beer

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/03/15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By moparx
did you grind the swedge from the studs first ? how were you supporting the drum from the back side ? were you using a press or just a BFH ? any numbers on the hub or drum ?
beer

4lb hammer no support. 9 out of ten weren't too bad. I had to cut the lug nuts off because the threads were stripped (mostly by previous owner) I heated the studs up around the base and hammered them. I check check the numbers on the Hub I think the only number on the drum was 89.
I was planning on attaching the hub then using nuts/bolts to synch it all up, then heat the bent part and start cranking to even it all out.
I looked at that disc set-up, still might use it but if I can make these work I'll just use them.
Posted By: moparx

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/03/15 04:03 PM

the heat on the base of the studs should have allowed the swedge to fold in around the stud, provided you used enough [dull red would do it i would think]. the problem of bending was caused by the fact you used no support on the inside of the drum/hub assembly. you may want to check the other hub/drum assembly if you re-install the studs to make sure it isn't slightly bent. when re-installing the new studs, make sure to support the flat portion of the hub face to insure it doesn't get bent in the process. i have seen[and done] that myself. if successful, you may want to have a slight cut preformed on the drum to make sure it stayed round in the process. let us know how you make out.
beer

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/04/15 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By moparx
the heat on the base of the studs should have allowed the swedge to fold in around the stud, provided you used enough [dull red would do it i would think]. the problem of bending was caused by the fact you used no support on the inside of the drum/hub assembly. you may want to check the other hub/drum assembly if you re-install the studs to make sure it isn't slightly bent. when re-installing the new studs, make sure to support the flat portion of the hub face to insure it doesn't get bent in the process. i have seen[and done] that myself. if successful, you may want to have a slight cut preformed on the drum to make sure it stayed round in the process. let us know how you make out.
beer

cry I can't even find the studs...
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/04/15 03:04 AM

I bent some doing the same thing,beat em back as good as you can and when you put it back together they usually correct themselves when you tighten everything back up.

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/04/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By wannadrag
I bent some doing the same thing,beat em back as good as you can and when you put it back together they usually correct themselves when you tighten everything back up.

thanks, because finding one has become impossible.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/05/15 03:35 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but that drum really looks like an early to mid (maybe even late) 60s 1/2 ton pickup drum. 11" x 2 1/2" were the heavy duty brakes. A 3/4 or 1 ton 50s drum would have been 6 lug, and a 3/4 or 1 ton 60s drum would have been 8 lug.

Might make the search for parts a little easier. Gene
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/05/15 04:13 AM

Rock auto shows the front drum on a half ton to be the same from 59-69, they have a picture of it, but it doesn't have the three nubs in the above drum.

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/05/15 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Rock auto shows the front drum on a half ton to be the same from 59-69, they have a picture of it, but it doesn't have the three nubs in the above drum.

do you have the part number? These have been swapped out to 3/4 ton. When I check Rock they didn't have anything for the 51. I'll need to find a drum as this one cracked when I was trying to fix it...that of I'll have to go to disc.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/05/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck
Originally Posted By Supercuda

do you have the part number? These have been swapped out to 3/4 ton. When I check Rock they didn't have anything for the 51. I'll need to find a drum as this one cracked when I was trying to fix it...that of I'll have to go to disc.

Sorry shows the 59-69 drum that someone said your pics looked like. Not the 51 setup, shoulda made that clearer.

I spot checked the 3/4-1 ton drums of the 59-69 era, they are 8 lug setups.

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/05/15 06:25 PM

Thanks Super....
Posted By: dogdays

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/06/15 01:14 AM

Yes, the hubs and drums look very much like the ones on my '64 and '71 D100s.

I'd suggest you make a phone call to this place and ask them every question you can think of:
http://robertsmotorparts.com/store/
or these guys:
https://www.kanter.com/ecatalog/00025.html

I probably mentioned them before but they seem to have a lock on most of the parts.

I don't think those three little nubs on the drums are anything to worry about.

R.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/18/15 05:09 AM

Anything going on with the truck?

I'll probably drive the plymouth truck this weekend. It has great heater at least for such a small cab. up

Re: oooolllllld brake drums - 11/23/15 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By moparpollack

Anything going on with the truck?

I'll probably drive the plymouth truck this weekend. It has great heater at least for such a small cab. up

found a drum and hub in Az for $120 it is in route. It appears somebody put a 53-53 hub assembly on the truck at some point. I also had the crab rebuilt by Uremco... I'm going to post a semi-update.
© 2024 Moparts Forums