Moparts

Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice

Posted By: AZ_A12_BEE

Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/20/15 08:22 AM

I got the bolt in lower firewall of the 37 out and I decided to weld up all the unused holes in them, the smaller holes can just be welded up but the larger ones need plugs welded in. Any suggestions on how to make some round plugs? The metal is 16 guage.

Also should I weld with my Miller 35 and .035 wire or my Miller 110 with .023 wire? I'm using argon/C02 mix for gas.

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/20/15 09:36 PM

I've heard guys claim you can plug weld a 3/4" hole or larger with a copper backing spoon.

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding-spoon-66785.html
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/20/15 11:01 PM

Find a steel electrical junction box and use the knock outs for the plugs and I use the .023 wire on everything.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/20/15 11:35 PM

.023 wire. Machine screw flat washers on some, but with that many holes to fill, why don't you just cut a new panel and weld it to the hump area? Gonna be a lot of work to make it flat.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/20/15 11:52 PM

Turn up the wire speed and burn the holes shut. You are lucky the panel is off the car it will be much easier!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By wannadrag
Find a steel electrical junction box and use the knock outs for the plugs and I use the .023 wire on everything.

Those are galvanized, don't breathe the fumes.

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By moparpollack
Turn up the wire speed and burn the holes shut. You are lucky the panel is off the car it will be much easier!

Shows how rust free the truck is, only broke 1 bolt off and I just drilled an tapped it back out to 1/4-20

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By Crizila
.023 wire. Machine screw flat washers on some, but with that many holes to fill, why don't you just cut a new panel and weld it to the hump area? Gonna be a lot of work to make it flat.

Why would I want to make another one? Other than the extra holes there is nothing wrong with it.

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 02:54 AM

Bu my count 27-28 unused unnessasary holes in the lower fire wall, most are 1/8-5//16, those will weld up easy

Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 03:11 AM

I stopped counting at 60 holes on my truck.

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By moparpollack
I stopped counting at 60 holes on my truck.

There is another 30 on the upper firewall, I will have to just use rubber plugs on those for now.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/21/15 05:38 AM

Originally Posted By AZ_A12_BEE
Originally Posted By Crizila

Why would I want to make another one? Other than the extra holes there is nothing wrong with it.
What's wrong with it is all those holes! To each his own, but since there is nothing special about it ( flat piece of sheet metal, I wouldn't screw around with filling all those holes ( over 60???). You will end up with a better looking floor / firewall with a bunch less work. You already got the template.

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 09/29/15 06:30 AM

All done with less than 2 hours labor, looks good

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 11/01/15 10:15 PM

So now that the holes are welded in, what was your technique? Copper backing plate , metal filler pieces?

Re: Welding up holes and making plugs, need advice - 11/22/15 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By rowin4
So now that the holes are welded in, what was your technique? Copper backing plate , metal filler pieces?

Yes, both those methods, copper backing plate for the small ones, fillers for the big ones
© 2024 Moparts Forums