Moparts

Throttle body ?s

Posted By: flyman

Throttle body ?s - 11/02/14 10:49 PM

Anybody use a late 80,s throttle body in there rods? Willing to share the wiring to make it work?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/03/14 05:25 AM

Never used one in a rod, but had the misfortune of trying to keep one working properly in its native application.

Run away.

If you are determined to use it, then scrap the stock computer and run a different controller, Megasquirt comes to mind.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/03/14 05:44 AM

The systems from the early-mid 90s (just before the port injection) works much better then the earlier systems.
I have done a few, but it was some time ago and i don't remember, so I'm not much help. I know it was pretty simple if you had the wire harness for the motor & the computer. That system was pretty stand alone, and there were only 6 or 7 wires to connect it to the older cars. I'm running a 90 Dakota system in my coupe, its worked well until the motor went south and the computer tried to compensate for a sick motor. Gene

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/03/14 02:23 PM

Thanks for the Input Poorboy your coup is very nice ride!!
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/03/14 06:40 PM

Don't want to blaspheme, but the GM TBI is very easy to work with and there is a ton of aftermarket support. There are a couple of companies selling them as kits.

R.

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/03/14 10:01 PM

We are working on a budget and trying to run what we have. But I will check it out. Thanks
Posted By: moparx

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/04/14 03:23 AM

the only one i have done was for my buddys 55 chevy. he used a 95 LT1 with a 700R4 transmission. the controller and harness used was from those guys in mena arkansas. that cost around $1100. i also used a fsm for a 95 cadillac. it uses the same engine, and the wiring scematics came in handy more than once. also, i made a bunch of phone calls to those guys and they were more than glad to help out with my stupid questions. i'm pretty sure they make a harness and controller for a gen 3 hemi now. in my opinion, it is not an easy swap for a person who is marginal in wiring skills. i enjoy wiring, and learned a lot from this experiance. although i told my buddy "i learned stuff i didn't wanna know" being as it was gm related. if you are up for a real challenge, go for it. just remember, ALL connections must be bullet proof, because if they are substandard, you will have no end to chasing gremlins.
Posted By: DDodger

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/05/14 09:43 PM

lotsa ways to do this

wander over to binder planet, 'as right, IHC and read up on adapting GM parts, burning new chips.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

you can run a Megasquirt ECU and jus use the parts

If you want quick and dirty and not necessarily "all that great" the old Holley Pro-Jection stuff will get your feet wet sometimes you find those used
Posted By: moparx

Re: Throttle body ?s - 11/06/14 03:14 AM

speaking of those holley pro-jection units. i got one of those at a swap meet several years ago just to play around with. it sure is a basic setup. i just haven't had time, nor the right project, to see if it's anything viable. i got it on the cheap, so if it doesn't work out, i'm not out much.
© 2024 Moparts Forums