Moparts

Drag link length on straight axel

Posted By: kilroy

Drag link length on straight axel - 01/21/13 05:00 AM

Question...

Straight axel ford F3 truck, talking drag link from pitman arm to steering link on kingpin, drag link running parallel to frame. No other suspension mods.

I had to move my steering box aprx 3 1/2" forward in the frame to clear an 12v cummins transplant, effectively making my drag link shortened from 12" center to center to aprx 9" (havent finalized the chop yet).

What will be the negatives?

Angle was not change nor travel limited.

Educate me.

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/21/13 05:07 AM

heres a pic of the rough up, Im a little further along now.

Attached picture 7555305-WP_20130119_002.jpg
Posted By: TrWaters

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/21/13 05:39 PM

It will increase the rod angle at full steer. Be sure the other end isnt in a bind when turned full lock.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/22/13 01:57 AM

If you are doing what I think you're doing, you will turn the wheels more sharply in one direction then in the other. Though the amount of travel has not changed, the center point has. You have reduced the amount of travel in one direction, and increased the amount of travel the other direction.

The truck I did something like this to could turn right into the nearest lane from a side street, but took the whole intersection to turn into the correct lane if you were turning left from the same position on the side street. Gene

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/22/13 05:10 AM

Poorboy,

can you correct this, or what is the work around?

The center point should just be at the point of the center of the arc swing of the pitman arm? Find the center of lock to lock and build from there?
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/23/13 04:01 AM

Unfortunately, my experience with that truck occurred years ago and I never corrected it. It was probably way beyond my abilities at that time. The truck was junked a short time after the steering ordeal when the trans (or motor?) blew up.

I suspect centering the the Pittman arm at mid stroke and adjusting the steering arm length with the wheels straight would correct the issue, but it may alter the turning radius. Gene
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/23/13 04:52 PM

You have to shorten the link the same amount.
R.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/24/13 06:13 AM

I have never did this but I would think adjusting the pitman arm to correct the steering offset would work.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Drag link length on straight axel - 01/24/13 08:19 PM

A short drag link will probably result in some pretty severe bump steer.

One way to lengthen the drag link is to have the rod on the pitman arm go to the rear and connect to a frame-mounted idler that the actual drag link hooks to.
© 2024 Moparts Forums