Moparts

Frame paint

Posted By: B1arno

Frame paint - 12/26/11 03:06 AM

Ok, I'm almost ready to paint the frame on my 34 coupe. I was going to paint it myself but it looks like I will be able to afford to powder coat it. Probably take it to the powder coater in 2-3 weeks. This is a highboy so some of the frame will be visable. I see a lot of these with the frame painted body color, but matching a powder coated frame to a car color is probably unrealistic, so I'm thinking of a contrasting color for the frame. The body color I am 95% sure I will use is the Mopar Toxic Orange, kind of a burnt orange/copper color. For the frame I'm thinking a dark gray metallic. The interior metal parts would also be dark gray metallic with the upholstry being a medium gray. Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm really not good at visualizing color schemes. Ron, Do you have any pics in your vast archive of contrasting colors on a highboy?

Thanks
Arno

Attached picture 6984532-34Dodge.jpg
Posted By: rattler

Re: Frame paint - 12/26/11 02:51 PM

That grey would work, but i think i would go with a littlt bit brighter color like silver. I painted the frame on my 57 truck a shiney silver and it contrasts real well with the Snakeskin Green paint. I went with grey interior also, so everything stays in that range.Just my opinion, but really go with what you like.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Frame paint - 12/27/11 07:02 PM

Since you haven't painted yet, you could get the powder as close as possible to the color you want, then match the paint to the powder.
I prefer lighter color highboys to have a dark frame. The all one color thing is kind of dated to the 80s. On a darker color, it's not as 'in your face'. Thisis personal preference.
Black, dark silvers and grays all look nice.
What is the engine going to be painted?

There are a bunch of pictures on the net to help you visualize. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638541

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=654862&highlight=1933+coupe

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415032&highlight=1933+coupe

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422209&highlight=1933+coupe

Re: Frame paint - 12/30/11 02:08 AM

I did some research today at the powder coaters and found a metallic silver pearl that I really like. I think you both were thinking more of a silver than a dark charcoal like I was thinking. I'm probably going to go with that on the frame. I would call it a medium shade. The motor is painted black right now. I'm not sure if I will stick with that or not. Kind of tempted to leave it that way. Hope to get this thing to the coaters in the next couple of weeks!

Arno
Posted By: PSRacing1

Re: Frame paint - 12/30/11 02:41 AM

Hello , If you talk to the people at " HOUSE OF COLOR " They have a program that will take a picture of your car and you can add the body colors and frame colors to your picture . Not sure who is running that part of the company now but give them a call . Pat / Personal Street Rod Shop / Livonia Mi . 734 591 3782 .

Re: Frame paint - 12/30/11 03:31 AM

Went to the House of Color website and found a program to put colors on one of their database cars. They have a 32 Ford 5 window highboy that is similar to my car so I could try it out. Costs $50 dollars though. Could be money well spent or not. If I do try it I will post the results.

Arno

Re: Frame paint - 01/15/12 07:19 PM

Taking the frame to the powder coaters tomorrow. Decided on a medium silver pearl. Here's the frame ready to go.
Arno

Attached picture 7019981-framereadyforpaint.jpg
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Frame paint - 01/15/12 07:40 PM

WOW!! That looks ultra strong! Shouldn't have any flex issues!
Very clean too! It is going to look great with all the preparation you have done.
I am looking forward to seeing it coated.

Mark

Re: Frame paint - 01/16/12 12:48 AM

Quote:

WOW!! That looks ultra strong! Shouldn't have any flex issues!
Very clean too! It is going to look great with all the preparation you have done.
I am looking forward to seeing it coated.

Mark

Yeah, it had the main portions of the frame done when I bought the car. I wanted it as a street cruiser so I wasn't overly concerned with the weight. The frame was pretty well done, very square and straight. I put all new suspention under it, body mounts, engine and trans mounts, and new frame horns. I'll post pics when I get it back.

Arno

Re: Frame paint - 01/16/12 05:40 AM

Hey Arno,
I am also impressed with how organized your shop is!
I need to work on that !

Mark

Re: Frame paint - 02/13/12 01:43 AM

I got the frame back and have begun assy. Just a few pics.

Attached picture 7068421-frameafterpaint004.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/13/12 01:44 AM

Attached picture 7068422-frameafterpaint009.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/13/12 01:45 AM

Attached picture 7068423-frameafterpaint015.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/13/12 01:46 AM

Attached picture 7068426-frameafterpaint013.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/13/12 04:59 PM

Looking Good!!!
Man those sure are some big rear tires!!!
Very nice Arno.

Mark

Re: Frame paint - 02/14/12 03:29 AM

Quote:

Looking Good!!!
Man those sure are some big rear tires!!!
Very nice Arno.

Mark

If I recall correctly your tires will need to be of similar size if you plan on filling those tubs! I got the engine back in today with the flywheel installed but forgot to get new pressure plate bolts. I did start working out the adjustment on the hydraulic T/O bearing. Seems quite straight forward. I should have the entire drivetrain installed this weekend.

Re: Frame paint - 02/14/12 05:51 PM

That is great progress.
Please keep the pictures coming!
Mark
Posted By: moparx

Re: Frame paint - 02/15/12 02:40 AM

really makes a guy feel good when you can see progress in a project eh, arno ? keep up the good work !

Re: Frame paint - 02/15/12 03:24 AM

Yeah it does! I got the engine and trans in today. I ran into a couple of issues I need to resolve. As many times as I have put this thing together and taken it apart you would think it would fall together by itself. I need to get as far as I can by late March because I need to do a bathroom remodel and the car will come to a grinding halt.

Attached picture 7071823-Engineandtransinstall002.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/15/12 04:21 AM

Man I LOVE the 4 speed option!!!
Looking Great Arno!
Mark

Re: Frame paint - 02/16/12 02:29 AM

arno,what adapter did you use for your 4spd bell ? what did the crank flange spacer look like? any loose pics of those floating around ?

Re: Frame paint - 02/16/12 04:36 AM

Quote:

arno,what adapter did you use for your 4spd bell ? what did the crank flange spacer look like? any loose pics of those floating around ?

I used the adapter available through Hot Heads. I do not have any pics of the crank flange adapter but it is a billet alum piece that is machined to fit quite snugly over the crank flange, and has it's own pilot bushing instead of using a pilot bushing in the crank.
Arno

Re: Frame paint - 02/17/12 03:37 AM

Here is a picture of my hydraulic throwout bearing installed on my trans. This is my first experience with one of these and so far I like it! Very easy to set up. Quite pricey though.

Attached picture 7075238-HydraulicTO001.jpg

Re: Frame paint - 02/17/12 03:51 AM

the reason i was asking about the crank flange adapter is i was curious about the pilot bearing, and just wanted to see what was different between the stick and the "normal"[ ] 727 flange/flexplate adapter. thanks ! i wish i was that far along with the humpback !

Re: Frame paint - 02/17/12 04:27 AM

That looks like a high quality part.A customer/ friend of mine has a similar hydraulic throw out bearing, set up in his Cobra replica. He has been very happy with it.
Mark
© 2024 Moparts Forums