Moparts

Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs - UPDATE

Posted By: David Hakim

Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs - UPDATE - 12/05/11 08:55 PM

GM guys turned it loose after PRI.

It should be intersting to see how the COPO does in A/SA and AA/SA.

There's even a bigger blower for the 5.3L that (according to GM) puts it in SS/AA.

2012 Indy will be fun!

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/19741-the-copo-camaro-hits-the-drag-strip

Attached picture 6952187-COPOTestSession.jpg
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/05/11 09:22 PM

David, do you think that at some point in time Chrysler will put blowers on the Hemis and v10's? It seems to be the thing to do.

Personally, I am not crazy about blown motors in the stock classes...but, I guess if one has to do it...
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/05/11 09:25 PM

This would be a welcome site. I would not care if I ever see a another Cobalt.

The only bad thing about these new SS and Stockers is they are killing the old school cars, they dont have a chance.

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/05/11 09:50 PM

According to GM, the NA 427/LS7 fits in A/SA, SC 5.3L runs AA/SA and the SC 5.3L with the bigger blower runs SS/AA.

I'm curious on how the NHRA horsepower "fudge" factors will be on the COPO.

Attached picture 6952267-CopoTestSession002.PNG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/05/11 10:02 PM

I seen that car being build local to me

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/05/11 10:23 PM

Mike P. built the COPO prototype (along with the DP and CJ mules).

He's quite talented.
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 01:44 AM

Quote:

According to GM, the NA 427/LS7 fits in A/SA, SC 5.3L runs AA/SA and the SC 5.3L with the bigger blower runs SS/AA.

I'm curious on how the NHRA horsepower "fudge" factors will be on the COPO.

Same as in the old days of yore. Takes a NA 427 Camaro in A/SA to be in the same class and contention as a NA 345 cubed Hemi Challenger DP.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

He's quite talented.

Yeah I was at his place getting some tubing and seen
it... my buddy was with me and wanted to take some
pics but Mike said NO WAY
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 02:45 AM

Time for NHRA to step up and add some new classes to stock and super stock to cover the blown cars from the factory. Might as well throw the stock turbo cars in there as well.
Posted By: NoJoke

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 02:57 AM

Quote:

GM guys turned it loose after PRI.

It should be intersting to see how the COPO does in A/SA and AA/SA.

There's even a bigger blower for the 5.3L that (according to GM) puts it in SS/AA.

2012 Indy will be fun!

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/19741-the-copo-camaro-hits-the-drag-strip

Im not a chevy guy but that car looks bad azz...
Posted By: hemidup

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He's quite talented.

Yeah I was at his place getting some tubing and seen
it... my buddy was with me and wanted to take some
pics but Mike said NO WAY

Shared some pit time with Mike at Indy last fall. I started talking about whether the new Camaro's were indeed coming out. He put his index finger up to his lips and with a shusss said... I'm building the 1st one. lol
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

Time for NHRA to step up and add some new classes to stock and super stock to cover the blown cars from the factory. Might as well throw the stock turbo cars in there as well.

They already have. 3 new Stock classes and 1 SS class for 2012.

As for the CJ and DP cars "killing" all the older cars, Other than some class and heads-up runs, the newer cars are not dominating anything. Some of the combinations either had already become SS only, or were only 1 hit away.

My buddy Mike Jeffrey won the Aeromotive Low Qualifier award for Division 5 this year with a Slant 6 car, and he had Charlie Blossom and a ton of CJ/DP cars to try to outqualify all year.
Posted By: hemiparts

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 04:33 AM

got to see it in person @ PRI, it is one bad ride. For any one who thinks the horsepower wars of Detroit are dead all you had to do was go to the PRI show. About 2 or 3 rows over from the COPO was the new CJ mustang drag car and then a few more rows over was Garlits new Drag Pak Challenger. I agree with David Indy this year should be wild. Think i'll hop over to classracer and see if they are falling out dead over another "new car " in stock and super stock..

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 04:41 AM

Here's an update from COPO test session from Bradenton with the 5.3L SC motor.

After nine runs, the best pass was 9.69 at 140 mph with a mild 1.40 sixty-foot time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lm0356tFRMI

Here the GM guys are swapping motors and dropping in the NA 427/7.0L LS7 piece for tomorrows test session

Attached picture 6953093-COPOTestSession.jpg
Posted By: Otherlane

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs - UPDATE - 12/06/11 12:35 PM

i dont know to much about these classes on these cars but i talked with a guys with a white and black challenger v10 and said his car has the record cant remember what record but i think it went 9.20 0r 30s.will the car be in the same class? if so the chevy doesnt have a chance.Also i am diehard mopar man BUT i dont see anything better up on the mustang just to much go fast stuff for them
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 02:12 PM

David, were you there?

I was there sunday and spoke with gm's head of the program and he was very adamant that the clocks would be off and that they would have a crew there from their team doing the reporting so they could control the information on the times.

I have some rear suspension pics I can post up that I took at pri
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/06/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

They already have. 3 new Stock classes and 1 SS class for 2012.

As for the CJ and DP cars "killing" all the older cars, Other than some class and heads-up runs, the newer cars are not dominating anything. Some of the combinations either had already become SS only, or were only 1 hit away.

My buddy Mike Jeffrey won the Aeromotive Low Qualifier award for Division 5 this year with a Slant 6 car, and he had Charlie Blossom and a ton of CJ/DP cars to try to outqualify all year.

"Other than some class and heads-up runs", you're kidding right? Why else would you build a stocker or SS'er if not for class and heads-up runs LOL! Otherwise it's just another bracket race.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Look out Challenger DP and CJ Stangs! - 12/07/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

"Other than some class and heads-up runs", you're kidding right? Why else would you build a stocker or SS'er if not for class and heads-up runs LOL! Otherwise it's just another bracket race.

That's right, Stock and Super Stock are nothing but a bracket race (and have been since the '70's) because if it were a true heads-up race nobody would show up.

If you're only reason for building a class car is because you want to win heads-up races, you better be prepared to be disappointed a lot. Any combo that runs more than 1.00 under is gonna get hit. Any combo that can't run 1.00 under ain't gonna win too many heads-up races anyway.
© 2024 Moparts Forums