Moparts

'67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem

Posted By: marfen

'67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem - 12/05/11 12:44 AM

Trying to install this great bellhousing in a street hemi application. Have the correct 11" 172 tooth flywheel and direct drive starter. Top of the starter bolts onto the bellhousing with the 7/16 stud. Problem is the bottom of the starter needs to be bolted by a bolt from the back of the bellhousing flange and there is no room for a bolt head hex or allen. Anyone know what was used for fastening the bottom of the starter with this rare part which understandably I don't want to clearance with a grinder. thanks

Attached picture 6950827-rc426areduce.jpg
Posted By: rickraw

Re: '67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem - 12/05/11 12:58 AM

looks like that hole isn't centered in the casting. u could tap it & use a stud, or just a smaller bolt. only thing that matters is the starter will be tight. seeya.
Posted By: ro23_j

Re: '67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem - 12/05/11 03:32 AM

I used a socket head (Allen) cap screw on my '67 RO car. In fact, I used socket heads for all of the the bellhousing bolts on my car because of the lack of clearance with hex head bolts. I don't know what they used from the factory, since my car had been converted to an automatic sometime during its life and the original bellhousing and starter were long gone when I got it.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: '67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem - 12/05/11 02:45 PM

Put a thread insert or helicoil in the bell housing and bolt it from the starter side.It will look like a stock factory setup.
Posted By: marfen

Re: '67 RC426 Race Hemi bellhousing/starter problem - 12/05/11 03:31 PM

many thanks folks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums