Moparts

Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda?

Posted By: magnumcharger

Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/29/11 07:20 PM

I've just become aware that Paul Rossi ran a Barracuda in SS/AA before he bought the Challenger that put him on the map, so to speak.

Here is a reference article:
http://challenger.mpoli.fi/board/topic-1486

And a quote from said article: (see pic).

Does anybody have a picture of this car while he ran it?

Attached picture 6942017-PaulRossiSSAA.JPG
Posted By: MrSixpack

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/29/11 07:26 PM

I have also been looking for pictures of the SS/AA Cuda.

Have not found anything
Posted By: caper

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/29/11 10:48 PM

Here is the car that Rossi used to own. I seen him run it in Montreal for Norm Carson ( Norm was not licesend to drive it at a NHRA meet) in 1982 at Sanir race track.
Rossi went up to the line for his first run went through, came back and told Norm to take the wheelie bars off. I guess you already know this . sorry
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6941935
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/30/11 03:48 AM

The first time I heard of Paul Rossi was at the NHRA World Finals when he was racing that SS/AA Barcuda in 1975 or maybe 1976, I think He did well there and got a factory ride with Butch Leal the next year driving Butches SS 1973 or 1974 Baracuda SB car I hope I have that correct, I think that lasted a year and then Butches mechanic(Myron or Marvin maybe?) took over driving the SS Baracuda for several years after that. I rememerber the annoucer saying that Paul Rossi was a comercial airplane pilot that flew for one of the big comercial airlines, I figured that was how he afforded to race NHRA SS I hope this is accurate, not my memory making things up

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/30/11 01:59 PM

So, the Barracuda that Paul Rossi raced...was it Judy Lilly's old car, or Jim Wicks?

And, was it painted differently for Rossi while he drove it?

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/30/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

So, the Barracuda that Paul Rossi raced...was it Judy Lilly's old car, or Jim Wicks?

And, was it painted differently for Rossi while he drove it?

I have no idea who car it was originally, I don't even remember what it look like I was running a Hemi Stocker at that time and wasn't really watching anyone elses cars Most of what I remember about Paul and his car is what I heard the announcers say at that race
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/30/11 10:54 PM

Whatever happened to Paul, anyway?

I remember he had a factory Merc Comet back in 64 or 65....he was around forever, got into 2.2 Mopar road racing and then just dropped from sight...
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 11/30/11 11:19 PM

Chris..

Attached picture 6943971-PaulRossiRampage.jpg
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/01/11 12:05 AM

Whatever happened to Paul, anyway? X2
I know a dealership here town bought a bunch, if not all, his remaining parts.

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/01/11 03:38 AM

Quote:

Whatever happened to Paul, anyway? X2
I know a dealership here town bought a bunch, if not all, his remaining parts.

I knew a couple of drag racers, NHRA stocker classes, that Paul helped during his drag racing days. They told me that he went to work for Mopar in the road racing dept. right after Mopar bought AMC, he was the team owner and maybe one of the drivers in the Eagle Talons on the road circuits I also heard a unconfirmed rumor later that he had got into trouble with the IRS on not paying income or payroll taxes or something other on taxes during the road racing era No idea where he is now or what he is doing
Posted By: Race&Resto

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/05/11 10:27 PM

All of these photos of Paul Rossi are from the mid-seventies.

Posted By: mloboda

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/06/11 03:33 AM

I talked to Paul about 5 years ago after I bought his old car hauler.
He lived in California at the time and told me his health had not been good lately. Seemed like a nice guy and spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with me, telling stories about the hauler and life on the road when he campaigned his super stockers.
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/06/11 03:49 AM

Last I heard of him, Rossi was living in Fallbrook CA which is a
little north of San Diego.

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 12/06/11 05:10 PM

Quote:

All of these photos of Paul Rossi are from the mid-seventies.

Awesome!!! Thank you for posting these pictures!! This fill in a gap of time for the car I've been researching!
Posted By: Shutters1

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/07/14 06:14 PM

I own a 1970 Cuda that was owned and raced by Rossi. It ran the NHRA circuit for a while has had Chris Alston's Chassisworks updated the chassis in the late 80's. was a factory V code car.

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/07/14 06:40 PM

Do you now who ran that car and who built it for NHRA drag racing originally Pual had a contract with Dodge, not Plymouth. I knew and did business with several of the Mopar sponsered drag racers in SO CA back in the day including Landy, Lambeck, Diana(SP?)Schling and Joe Alread. If your car is the one that was black with stripes or additional colors on it, it has a storied background
Posted By: dwayne welder

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/07/14 07:07 PM

Hello All!!! I raced with John Tedder from 1974 through 1980!!! We were at Gainsville in 1976! Paul had car there but it was painted black?? I think!! I have to go through my old pix's and see if i can find it!!! He was at the time selling the car to some guy's in Canada!!! And i think they were there!!! Good old day's of racing!!
Posted By: LSP

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/08/14 12:13 AM

I don't recall Paul ever racing a 70 Cuda, but I think he did help out on a 70 Cuda 440-6 Super Stock owned by a guy named Mike Piazza.

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/08/14 06:41 AM

Quote:

I don't recall Paul ever racing a 70 Cuda, but I think he did help out on a 70 Cuda 440-6 Super Stock owned by a guy named Mike Piazza.

That is correct, there was another SS/FA or SS/GA Cuda 440 6 pak that a racer from Ridgecrest,CA owned and race from Pauls shop back in those days also I can't remeber his name now, CRS Piazzza car is the one with the storied history
Posted By: LSP

Re: Paul Rossi SS/AA Barracuda? - 05/14/14 01:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is correct, there was another SS/FA or SS/GA Cuda 440 6 pak that a racer from Ridgecrest,CA owned and race from Pauls shop back in those days also I can't remeber his name now, CRS Piazzza car is the one with the storied history

Was Larry Harrell the other one? He had a white 71 440-6 Super Stock Barracuda for a while.
© 2024 Moparts Forums