Moparts

Made some stuff at work today

Posted By: Hot 340

Made some stuff at work today - 11/26/11 12:12 AM

Had the day off but I went in and did some "government" work on my R3 build.

spacers to adapt a 420 to a tall deck

Attached picture 6935985-W9parts013.JPG

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:13 AM

valley tray

Attached picture 6935986-w9parts003.JPG

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:14 AM

Attached picture 6935989-w9parts004.JPG

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:15 AM

Attached picture 6935990-W9parts005.JPG

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:15 AM

last

Attached picture 6935992-W9parts010.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:40 AM

Looks good... I added the bolt by the dist on mine also
Posted By: topside

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:44 AM

Nice work!

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:44 AM

Quote:

You suggested that to me in an older post, thats why it's there.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:56 AM

Beautiful Pieces

Rickster
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:59 AM

Very impressive! Nice work!
Posted By: Dartin

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 01:16 AM

Very nice!

Randy

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 02:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You suggested that to me in an older post, thats why it's there.

LOL.... thats why it looks familiar
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 02:15 AM

Very nice work.Im in need of a set of spacers myself.I would like to have them done out of nylon instead of alum.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 02:21 AM

Very nice stuff.

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 02:44 AM

Thanks for the compliments guys.. its always fun to make racecar parts. Hitman, I was on the fence about using phenolic, probably should have used it, but didnt. Not sure about nylon, I would make sure it could stand the temps. Worst part about phenolic is working with it, yuck.

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the compliments guys.. its always fun to make racecar parts. Hitman, I was on the fence about using phenolic, probably should have used it, but didnt. Not sure about nylon, I would make sure it could stand the temps. Worst part about phenolic is working with it, yuck.

Yeah that phenolic makes some bad dust
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 08:23 AM

SWEET!

Beep
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:29 PM

Beautiful work. I take it you have access to more than just a hacksaw, cutoff wheel and a die grinder.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 12:35 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/26/11 02:51 PM

nice job. looks perfect. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: 340RICK

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

Beautiful work. I take it you have access to more than just a hacksaw, cutoff wheel and a die grinder.

That is small block jewelery right there.

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/26/11 03:13 PM

I saw the nylon used at the Engine Masters build off.I thought about it and it just made sense to me.It seals well,It stops the transfer of heat and is easy to work with.The guy who did it said if you do it in a mill sandwich it between plywood.Or better yet use a water-jet.Just something I want to try.As for the valley tray Im going to do another 3/8 MR-10 Lexon piece.That I have used before.It holds up and allows to to see whats going on in there.And can save you from pulling things down just to take a look.

Attached picture 6936847-522011357.jpg
Posted By: RAMM

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/26/11 03:28 PM

Quote:

I saw the nylon used at the Engine Masters build off.I thought about it and it just made sense to me.It seals well,It stops the transfer of heat and is easy to work with.The guy who did it said if you do it in a mill sandwich it between plywood.Or better yet use a water-jet.Just something I want to try.As for the valley tray Im going to do another 3/8 MR-10 Lexon piece.That I have used before.It holds up and allows to to see whats going on in there.And can save you from pulling things down just to take a look.

IF your referring to me hitman, I used Teflon $$$$ and yes if I were to do it again and I am, I would go get a couple of big plastic cutting boards at the dollar store and sandwhich them in 1/4" plywood or something and CNC away. As for temperature, almost all plastics will handle up to 300 degrees F before getting too soft. When we do plastic injection moulding we run at 450 F. I went with Teflon because I was really worried but after 48 dyno pulls and 7 intake re&re's the gaskets are perfect. In fact I am on another forum marketing a line of .125" plastic gaskets (the last pair of intake gaskets you'll ever need). J.Rob

Attached picture 6936868-coolgaskets.jpg

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 03:32 PM

Quote:

Beautiful work. When I worked in the toolroom at a diecasting plant several years ago, that's what we called it too! Government jobs, usually on a night shift. J.Rob
Posted By: AAR-B4

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 04:13 PM

I have the skills and the machines at my "company" to do government work and have in past.
Now days it's referred to as "misuse of company resources" and not tolerated.
Only in the good old days.
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 04:32 PM

Quote:

Really nice work...prettier and more useful than jewelry.
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 06:18 PM

Quote:

whats a 6M
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

whats a 6M

I hope your joking.. W9

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 09:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. And GJ, We even have a hammer and chisel laying around somewhere.

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 09:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah that phenolic makes some bad dust

Its awesome stuff, hard as nails, probably the best temp insulator out there, but I have to jump in the shower the minute I get home from working with it. It makes you so itchy. Even if you use coolant, somehow it finds you .
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 10:09 PM

How did you get that finish on the valley plate? Did the stock come like that or did you hit it with some sort of abrasive roll/belt sander? If it came like that, what kind of aluminum stock is that?
Posted By: Uncle Barry

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/26/11 10:18 PM

do you have any single girl friends that think like you? nice work Terry. that sure would look nice in my car lol!
Posted By: BradH

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/26/11 10:56 PM

Quote:

... In fact I am on another forum marketing a line of .125" plastic gaskets (the last pair of intake gaskets you'll ever need). J.Rob

A non-Mopar forum, I assume?

Plan to do anything along those lines for BB Mopars?
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/27/11 12:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks. And GJ, We even have a hammer and chisel laying around somewhere.

Dang a hammer AND a chisel?!? You guys must be like ISO 9000 compliant or something.

All cerial aside you do some very, very nice work.

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/27/11 12:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... In fact I am on another forum marketing a line of .125" plastic gaskets (the last pair of intake gaskets you'll ever need). J.Rob

A non-Mopar forum, I assume?

Plan to do anything along those lines for BB Mopars?

Not at all--MoparChat actually. I am Mopar through and through. Yes I can and will make Big Mopar stuff in any config you like. I am working on my EMC entries for 2010 right now. One is a big block, the other a small block, both will have plastic gaskets. J.Rob

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/27/11 12:38 AM

Jesse It was your Engine I was referring to.Sorry Im not sure why I thought it was nylon.I really thought it was a great idea you had.

Re: Made some stuff at work today - 11/27/11 12:43 AM

Jeff it was great to meet you and you probably thought Nylon 'cuz its white. I have a set of black gaskets made that will probably work just as well. J.Rob

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/27/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

How did you get that finish on the valley plate? Did the stock come like that or did you hit it with some sort of abrasive roll/belt sander? If it came like that, what kind of aluminum stock is that?

regular 1/2" 6061. Hit it with some alcohol and scotch-brite.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/27/11 03:22 AM

I made spacers out of Phenolic resin for my 468 small block. The heads were lightened and I needed to seal off the cut out portion of the head. My valley plate is just alluminum with some lightening done underneath. I had to use 3/8 to maintain a seal between the phenolic and the valley tray.

The following year Bishcoff had phenolic spacers on his Engine masters build. I was tickled when he said he had seen it at the track and couldn't remember where. Course I had to let the cat out of the bag and tell him where he saw it.

With enough vacuum I still could loose the seal. So later I fixed the heads.

Nice work

Leon

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/27/11 10:55 PM

Jesse I enjoyed meeting and talking to you also.Sure wish we could have stayed and seen your run.Please let me know how your black gaskets work out and if you think they would work out ok for a bracket engine.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/27/11 11:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Beautiful work. When I worked in the toolroom at a diecasting plant several years ago, that's what we called it too! Government jobs, usually on a night shift. J.Rob

We call jobs like that "Foreigners", to which I do many!
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/28/11 07:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice work, but did you consider making it a 2 piece? Or make it with a removable panel to be able to work in the lifter valley without pulling a head.

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/28/11 11:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice work, but did you consider making it a 2 piece? Or make it with a removable panel to be able to work in the lifter valley without pulling a head.

Didnt consider making it a two piece or anything. Im lazy.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/29/11 02:02 AM

If you cut it right. You pull the bolts slide if forward and it will come right up. This is only on tall decks. On short decks the plate sits over the heads.

Leon

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/29/11 02:37 AM

Quote:

If you cut it right. You pull the bolts slide if forward and it will come right up. This is only on tall decks. On short decks the plate sits over the heads.

Leon

Yep, it slides out with the heads on it. I think it will clear the front of the car..
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Made some Stuff At Work Today - 11/29/11 07:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Leon

Yep, it slides out with the heads on it. I think it will clear the front of the car..

It does - now. Problem is after it's been stuck in place with sealer. It only took us 1 time of removing the plate out of an Indy headed B/B to cut the plate into a 2 piece.

Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful piece and I am in no way trying to knock it's quality. I was just asking about making it in a 2 piece version - I may be changing my combo in the future and may need a valley plate made.
© 2024 Moparts Forums