Moparts

OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW'

Posted By: HEMIFRED

OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 02:59 AM

we do this after the season and again just before a new one starts. please end you post with don;t ask me how I know

I have a few shameful my self

If you door windows are removable make sure you take them with you to the track

"DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW"

If you move you seat to a new position make sure to try it out with your helmet to make sure it fits at home...not at the track

Posted By: abodiesonly1

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:07 AM

When you have a slight oil leak at the filter adapter on a small block and you replace it with the Canton adapter plate....After inspecting the o'ring for damage before installing, make sure you put said o'ring back on the adapter plate.

"Dont ask me how I know"
Posted By: dartman366

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:22 AM

If your fire jacket get's filthy and you ask your wife to wash it up for you, don't forget to put it back in the trailer, after she tell's you it is done and where it's hanging, before you go to a race.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:31 AM

wow over 50 viewed the post and only three replies ???? there must be many more perfect people in the world than I thought.

Quote:

If your fire jacket get's filthy and you ask your wife to wash it up for you, don't forget to put it back in the trailer, after she tell's you it is done and where it's hanging, before you go to a race.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

this goes right along side of that one.
when you get your new dated belts back from re webbing make sure you out them rioght back on the car. Not on the shelf and forget about them until you are at the track

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:05 AM

when the 1/4" drive socket falls into engine from priming the oil pump and you think it went to the bottom of the oil pan........

"DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW"
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:13 AM

Don't make more than 15 runs before changing out rods.

DON"T ASK ME HOW WE KNOW
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:29 AM

When you're doing your burnout and the fuel psi gauge flutters and drops toward zero, you might not have filled your fuel cell...

...DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: pro6pakRR

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:48 AM

When you spend $6000 on a lot of big money parts and the car goes a second slower.Because you didn't check how far in the piston is.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:50 AM

When you do a burnout, and you notice thst it's funny how the smoke is coming out from under the middle of your truck, it's a really good idea to get off the throttle imediately.

DAMHIK
Posted By: a493demon

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:10 AM

when you put a eng. together and a year later you put it in recheck rocker jam nuts . DAMHIK
Posted By: dvw

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:23 AM

When staging and you see a slight puff of dust come off the blower belt that you've never seen during the previous couple of hundred runs. You make the run anyway,oops.
Doug
Posted By: emarine01

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:26 AM

If you put a screwdriver in to hold the throttle plate open when compression testing..... remember to remove it before starting up the engine.... & never hold a hot cup of coffee over your lap when you realise that the throttle is jammed wide open ... Dont ask me how I know
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:32 AM

When towing the race car 840 miles one way...
its a good idea to check the weather forecast at that location before making the trek...
thats a long way to tow a race car just to get
rained out...
"DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW'
Posted By: rickraw

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:33 AM

don't forget ur hood pins, like i did. DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW. stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 06:06 AM

When you take your freshened blower engine to the dyno,get there on time and bring enough pullies Don't ask me how I know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just don't ask me how I know 9

Attached picture 6935162-2011-09-21_00013.JPG

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 07:01 AM

Quote:

When you do a burnout, and you notice thst it's funny how the smoke is coming out from under the middle of your truck, it's a really good idea to get off the throttle imediately.

DAMHIK

DAMHIK

NO SHORT CUTS THE LONG VERSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL . IT'S A PART OF THE HEALING PROCESS
Posted By: Bigbeep

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 07:02 AM

After drying your fire jacket out after a long night of August racing, don't forget to throw it back in the car before going up to the staging lanes the next morning. Don't ask me how I know.
Beep
Posted By: bonefish

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 02:19 PM

when your on the way to the trak and you cant beleive how well your tow rig is runnin,make sure you put the car back in the trailer.DONT EVEN ASK.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 02:55 PM

Quote:

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW.

Done that!

Randy
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:11 PM

When you have marks on your distributor/block for timing, make sure to disregard them after you have retarded the cam. You'll slash your own wrists when you figure out why the car is a pig for the first 100'. DAMHIK
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:13 PM

When racing your street car at night, turning on the defroster also turns on the A/C compressor, and will slow you down a couple tenths in the 3rd round. DAMHIK
Posted By: SCDaytona

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 03:28 PM

When you tow to a race track 200 miles away, make sure you bring your wallet with money, driving license and racing license. Ask me how I know!
Posted By: MMiller

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:20 PM

If the vaccumn gauge is bouncing at home and the engine doesn't seem right, it won't fix itself hauling it on the trailer. Keep it home and get it right before going to the track.

Michael
Posted By: rt66jim

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:27 PM

After sending your ignition box in for repairs, installing it and calling them because it doesn't work. First be sure you hooked it up at the master cut-off switch. Don't ask me how I know. Jim
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 04:38 PM

When you grab that rear axle on wheels to roll it across the lot, do not grab the pinion snubber to hold up the center section. DAMHIK!
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 05:56 PM

Quote:

When racing your street car at night, turning on the defroster also turns on the A/C compressor, and will slow you down a couple tenths in the 3rd round. DAMHIK

Posted By: Sledge_57

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 06:28 PM

Quote:

when your on the way to the trak and you cant beleive how well your tow rig is runnin,make sure you put the car back in the trailer.DONT EVEN ASK.

Posted By: Tig

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 06:53 PM

When monitoring Left & Right AFR's and tearing your hair out with bizarre staggered jetting results. Make sure the O2 sensors are actually monitoring the sides you think they are.
"Dont ask me how I know"
Posted By: White440

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 07:13 PM

Quote:

If you put a screwdriver in to hold the throttle plate open when compression testing..... remember to remove it before starting up the engine.... & never hold a hot cup of coffee over your lap when you realise that the throttle is jammed wide open ... Dont ask me how I know

Mine was a big gulp Pepsi.
Posted By: StrokerAspen

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 08:21 PM

When you are racing a Dodge Aspen from 1976 with all factory brake equipment in place, be sure the codder pins on the brake pedal pin are still in place. It may leave you stranded in the burn out box in the final round of the night.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW...

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 09:10 PM

When you buy a new tow vehicle don't wait until you're late leaving for a race to find out the trailer plug isn't wired correctly. Don't ask me how I know.
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 09:59 PM

Never assume you took out the hood scoop plug.

When your carb is sealed tightly to the hood it's really amazing how fast the top of the scoop will get sucked down doing a 5K burnout during the 3rd on a night when your drivers door latch is messed up

DAMHIK
Posted By: moparacer

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/25/11 10:07 PM

After an all night thrash to fix a broken rear, don't assume because the wheels were put back on the car that they were tightened......

Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 01:14 AM

When you pull up first in line at a National Event Elimination Run, make sure you put your helmet in the car....Don't ask me how I know.

Rickster
Posted By: MW Racecraft

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 01:42 AM

Been there, done that
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 04:00 AM

Always be sure you put the cap back on the fuel cell after topping it off.

The resulting "waterfall" coming out of your trunk will REALLY annoy the track crew should this little tidbit slip your mind.

DAMHIK
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 04:10 AM

When the throttle feels mushy during the burnout, be sure and check to see you CO2 bottle is on to work the throttle controler and the air shifter,
DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 04:18 AM

Going to a race 300 miles away fully loaded, all gased up food in frig,everything you can think of in motorhome and trailer and when you get to the track and get all setup (Thursday night). Went to go get a cold beer Yep you know it !!!! left it in the garage 3 cases of beer..

Attached picture 6936388-KilKare066.JPG
Posted By: wheelsup68dart

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 06:25 AM

If you wreck your car early in the season, don't keep feeding it money to limp it by till the end of the season.. Park it, do it right, and come back when Karma is back on your side. DAMHIK, Oh yeah, if running a CO2 throttle stop make sure when you set your regulator pressure cold it does not change when the interior gets 150 degrees. DAMHIK
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 07:50 AM

Quote:

If your door windows are removable make sure you take them with you to the track

If you move your seat to a new position make sure to try it out with your helmet to make sure it fits at home...not at the track

If the "R" on Freds keyboard is broken......Don't ask me how I know!

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 08:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If your door windows are removable make sure you take them with you to the track

If you move your seat to a new position make sure to try it out with your helmet to make sure it fits at home...not at the track

If the "R" on Freds keyboard is broken......Don't ask me how I know!

A few days ago there was something jamming up the D key. I flipped the keyboard over and gave it a few light taps. The D worked fine but now I see it has moved r round
Posted By: tboomer

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 12:33 PM

I made so many mistakes this past season that I can't remember the worst one!! One thing that stands out is to never leave your beer at the track overnight when pitted next to 493 Dart..DAMHIK...
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 02:57 PM

When getting the one pound of ice cream at Norwalk that of course you can't finish, don't leave it on the roof of your Duster; because the wind will blow it over when you aren't looking.
It will then splat all over the roof, windshield, and hood, attracting a large quantity of bees.

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 03:17 PM

Quote:

Going to a race 300 miles away fully loaded, all gased up food in frig,everything you can think of in motorhome and trailer and when you get to the track and get all setup (Thursday night). Went to go get a cold beer Yep you know it !!!! left it in the garage 3 cases of beer..

so far this is the most inexcusable and down right blatent deralection of responsability ive ever heard of,down here it is punishable by torture,you would be forced to listen to Barry Manalow medelies while watching THE English Patient,over and over till you were a slobering,gelatin like mass.
Posted By: challenger73400

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 03:22 PM

After reinstalling tranny,loading the truck on a hill, make sure park holds before you try to get out...with the door open....DAMHIK!

Attached picture 6936860-truckstill.jpg
Posted By: Frito

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/26/11 04:48 PM

After buying new tires for the tow truck, make sure you put the spare back in place before towing 2 hours and having a blowout on the interstate. DAMHIK!!!!
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/28/11 09:24 PM

yellow jackets LOVE gold colored race cars. please do not axe me how's i know.

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/28/11 09:43 PM

dont put the palm of you hand on the top of the dist then lean over and aim your timming light then tell your helper to FIRE IT UP.MSD 7al-3 shoots right thru a wire boot.dont ask me how i know.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/28/11 11:24 PM

got a new one...

never ever break the first rule of engine building...mock up and measure everything twice before final machine work/balancing. or you might find out that pistons advertised as having a .050" dome and expected to stick up .030-.040 past the deck on an uncut block, actually stick up above the deck .083" and then find out that the piston manufacturer changed the piston 3 years ago, but never changed the online description/specs, etc.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!
Posted By: TheBlackCar

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/30/11 07:43 AM

When taking your 125# dog to the track for the weekend with you, and sharing sleeping quarters (inside the trailer), DO NOT let the neighbor feed the dog left over chili.....Don't ask me how I know

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/30/11 01:15 PM

Quote:

When taking your 125# dog to the track for the weekend with you, and sharing sleeping quarters (inside the trailer), DO NOT let the neighbor feed the dog left over chili.....Don't ask me how I know

DUUUDE!!!!!
Posted By: 75dartcustom

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/30/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

When you grab that rear axle on wheels to roll it across the lot, do not grab the pinion snubber to hold up the center section. DAMHIK!

I won't ask, because I learned that one a couple of years ago. OUCH.
Posted By: fasteddie

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/30/11 05:49 PM

When you start to prime the oil pump on a freshly rebuilt motor, be sure the oil filter is installed. Makes a HUGE mess. DAMHIK!

I'm embarrassed to admit I have done this twice, about 15 years apart.
Posted By: Todd

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 11/30/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

When you start to prime the oil pump on a freshly rebuilt motor, be sure the oil filter is installed. Makes a HUGE mess. DAMHIK!

I'm embarrassed to admit I have done this twice, about 15 years apart.

Prime the engine and not have the one oil plug in the where the sender goes. It will shoot oil like a super soaker. DAMHIK!!!

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 12/07/11 02:09 PM

dont ever fill your extra gas can up with deisle then go out at night and fill your street strip car up with 110 -93 mix thats sitting right next to the diesel then head to the races.(it aint purdy)dont ask me how i know.
Posted By: cold85

Re: OK season's over time for "DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW' - 12/07/11 03:33 PM

When you race your tuner in the last race of the year and he says we should put x amount in it anymore and i think it will be on the bumper. You should not say no, I want to put more boost in early and see what happens

© 2024 Moparts Forums