Moparts

Wheel Stands

Posted By: Digger73

Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 07:11 AM

OK I know this is purhaps a dumb question but here goes.
I have seen several pictures of cars doing wheel stands.
My question is what makes a car do a wheel stand?
Is there a magic et that a car runs to do this?
Is there a target amount of horse power or torque?
I was just wondering.

Mike
Posted By: redruM

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 10:05 AM

Lol. 600+ people might be pulling the wheels with less, but they prolly aren't going on the bumper with less
Posted By: Tig

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 11:44 AM

Quote:

OK I know this is purhaps a dumb question but here goes.
I have seen several pictures of cars doing wheel stands.
Is there a magic et that a car runs to do this?
Is there a target amount of horse power or torque?
I was just wondering.

Mike

I don't thibk there's a magic et or hp level it's just a question of physics. A wheelstand occurs when the tyre stays still and the pinion climbs the ring gear. Effectively the car revolves around the tyre. Of course good weight transfer etc and other factors contribute.
Those who know will comment the car doesn't make enough horsepower when this occurs since the best et's are produced when the rears spin a fraction from the start.
A bit basic but I hope it helps
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 02:21 PM

torque and a good working weight transferring car with the correct torque converter matched to the motor. torque and did i say torque!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 06:56 PM

Thanks for the insight all. I am not new to racing. I have a best et in the high 8s and 1.02 60' in a 225" rear engine dragster. It would hook hard enough that it would pull the front wheels straight up out of the beams. This made for some real bad reaction times. I was just wondering what it took to make a full body car pack the fronts.

Mike
Posted By: julian2007

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 07:03 PM

PUT 3O LBS IN THE NOSE= FIXED
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 07:33 PM

Quote:

To quote the late Gary Ormsby...."Wheelstands are caused by lack of horsepower".
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 10:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To quote the late Gary Ormsby...."Wheelstands are caused by lack of horsepower".

THAT's goin' to PO a bunch of guys...
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 10:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't thibk there's a magic et or hp level it's just a question of physics. A wheelstand occurs when the tyre stays still and the pinion climbs the ring gear. Effectively the car revolves around the tyre. Of course good weight transfer etc and other factors contribute.
Those who know will comment the car doesn't make enough horsepower when this occurs since the best et's are produced when the rears spin a fraction from the start.
A bit basic but I hope it helps

I like your explanation great
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/19/11 11:17 PM

Without assistance of soft springs or a frame that flexes, you can mathematically figure exactly how much torque it takes to pull a wheelstand on any car. It is simply the amount of torque it takes to dead lift the front end.
A 3000 lb car with 1500 lbs on the front and a 10 ft wheel base would need 15,000 ft lbs with a 12 inch radious tire. Might sound like a lot till you do some math.
Example-
Low gear x rear ratio = 11.17 x 2 (torque converter multiplication) x 800 ft lbs of torque = 17,872 ft lbs at the hit. Divide by 10 for wheel base, and you can see nothing will keep the front on the ground if the car hooks.
For an instant you will have 1787 pounds of lift on a 1500 lb front. Compound that with a running start(soft springs) and you have a mess. No matter what you do, it will go airborn and head for one guard rail or the other when it slams into the wheelie bars. Guess how I know. I moved a bunch of weight forward, and the car is now controllable but rides the bars.
Cars with much less hp can still get the fronts in the air with very soft springs to give it a running start. Most any stock class car will pull the front into the air but with a lot less than the needed power.
A 318 A body car with a 2.76 low and a 5.38 rear gear would have a SLR of 14.85.
14.85 x 375 ft lbs x 2 (torque converter )=11137 ft lbs at the axle. A 112 inch wheelbase divided by 12 to put it into feet gives you 9.33 ft wheel base. So 11137 / 9.33 = 1193 ft lbs of lift on the front. Take into consideration that if the front of the car weighs 1500 lbs, minus unsuspended weight of say 200 for suspension, tires, wheels etc it won't take a lot of spring assist to see day light. It just won't hold the front up for long.
Actually the math is a bit more complicated than what I use. The center of gravity plays a big part in the situation as well. The higher it is, the less it takes in torque to do the job. And of course as the front rises so does the Cg, which is why those AA/Fuel altereds got banned from NHRA competition! As one driver responded to what is a good run- "anything that ends between the guard rails!"
Posted By: Todd

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 01:05 AM

That's a interesting equation. For the savoy and came up with 1485. So I subtract that number from the total front weight of 1700lbs and get difference of 216lbs?
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 02:00 AM

Greg,
I'm with you but confused because I'm not sure how to factor a different tire Radius. Ex: a 30" tire has a 1.25' radius.

So the Rocky weighs 2900 w/D and has 550lb/ft (est) and the 11.17 torque multiplication works here. Andd lets say 50% of the weight is on the nose. The wheelbase is an uber-short 86" (7.08'). and I wish I could factor in the CG...it's high but probably not as high as it might look since the engine is relatively low in the chassis. I assume sprung weight would be subtracted from that initial start/lift inertia calculation but added once you've reached full travel (or arc is I suppose more appropriate).

There must be other phyisic factors that apply though, particularly the available traction patch area and figuring adjusting tire pressure to add or subtract bite....and of course rear overhang weight adds dynamic leverage in the textbook 'see-saw' effect. Fortunately the Rocky has no rear overhang to speak of and is 11'-11" long overall....shorter than a Fiat 500

So will I go in low earth orbit the first time I come to the line? I've been dry-hopping it and it feels pretty good like it will be controllable. I've delibertely under-stalled it but not by much and the drag radials shouldn't bite as hard as the smaller diameter Hoosier slicks that were on it.
Posted By: fed

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 12:46 PM

Engine setback and 750 lbf ft.

Attached picture 6927732-kjulazlyft.jpg
Posted By: Dap

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 04:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To quote the late Gary Ormsby...."Wheelstands are caused by lack offers horsepower".

I have seen Monte post a few times that when the car goes on the bumper they give it more power to slip the tire or converter a little more.
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 04:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

To quote the late Gary Ormsby...."Wheelstands are caused by lack offers horsepower".

I have seen Monte post a few times that when the car goes on the bumper they give it more power to slip the tire or converter a little more.

while all of that is true in high hp applications I am sure he would agree that a low hp car needs some chassis adjustments if they stand on the bumper.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 04:09 PM

and what a loss to this board to lose someone like Monte with stupid rules.
Posted By: one bad fish

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 04:25 PM

All cars r different but front end travel helps

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 05:06 PM

Tire radius is another variable, depending on how hard you smash the tire into the tar. I usually figure a 32 inch tire would be somewhere around 14 to 15 inch? Divide axle torque by radius in inches and multiply by 12 to come up with the true torque or thrust, which will be equivalent once you factor in radius.
Available traction is also constantly changing, due to weight transfer, track, etc but I just figure for most of us low power guys 100 percent will work most times.
The CG of the car is the only thing that really counts, as it takes into account overhang, etc. The book Doorslammers has the formula for finding CG, a bit of math involved. The rotating moment of inertia is another story. The "dumbbell effect" when at its extreme can add a lot of momentum, either up or down.
A quick look at the specs in your post Streetwise, tells me that car is going to be a blast to drive! Keep spare undies handy.
One thing is for sure, all these formulas are trying to describe a situation that is in constant change, so the formulas are only good at any one instant but doe kinda give you an idea of what should happen.
Posted By: WheelsUp73

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 09:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the insight all. I am not new to racing. I have a best et in the high 8s and 1.02 60' in a 225" rear engine dragster. It would hook hard enough that it would pull the front wheels straight up out of the beams. This made for some real bad reaction times. I was just wondering what it took to make a full body car pack the fronts.

Mike

It takes alot of time at the track and expermenting. When I put this combo together it pulled the wheels about a foot and ahalf on the launch. After messing with front shocks, frontend travel,rearend ratios,different brands of slicks, and shifting weight around in the car i was able to make the car do very big controllable wheelies without wheelie bars.
http://youtu.be/t0OVIsU01mg

http://youtu.be/zd3TadLVg9E

Attached picture 6928255-Dart2-5-11_edited.JPG

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/20/11 11:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

It takes alot of time at the track and expermenting. When I put this combo together it pulled the wheels about a foot and ahalf on the launch. After messing with front shocks, frontend travel,rearend ratios,different brands of slicks, and shifting weight around in the car i was able to make the car do very big controllable wheelies without wheelie bars.

why would you want to? you must be in the show wheelie business

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 12:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Well its fun as hell to drive and I like to have fun at the track and before you say it, this car has won a whole bunch of ET,big bucks bracket races.I have been ET track champ 4 different times. Imagine you launch your car then moments into the run you look back at the other car and you see nothing but undercarage comming at you. Racers at my track do not wanna line up against this car!

Attached picture 6928488-samoa-downtrackwheelie.jpg
Posted By: Keith Richards

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:18 AM

I can vouch for wheelsup73, car always goes straight and controlled. Here is a time run we did from earlier in the year, probably one of the smaller wheelies though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VFL7vdmJOk8&list=ULVFL7vdmJOk8
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:20 AM

wheel stands are weird 12 sec cars can almost hit the bumper,soft front end,and good traction..power! i believe carry's the mofo out and down the track
Posted By: racerx

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

wheel stands are weird 12 sec cars can almost hit the bumper,soft front end,and good traction..power! i believe carry's the mofo out and down the track

I myself prefer the power to propel the car than to do wheelie down the track

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:35 AM

Quote:

Never seen a 12 sec car hit the bumper or even pull a wheelie for that mater, and the only way that would be posible is if you move the rearend forward 2 feet.
http://youtu.be/fAP_2rxz_GA

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lets see a video of that powerful machine you drive.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:48 AM

All right lets do a poll. How many of you guys out there have a 12 sec or even an 11 sec car that can put it on the bumper. Don't make me laugh.
Posted By: camdog440

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:56 AM

Everybody loves a braggart.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:00 AM

Quote:

All right lets do a poll. How many of you guys out there have a 12 sec or even an 11 sec car that can put it on the bumper. Don't make me laugh.

I dont, but it is a matter of combined physics and power, not just power.

I could make a 20 sec car stand on its bumper!

With the way your car wheelies, you should understand that!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:06 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Only if you droped off a cliff.

My car pulls wheelies because of power and a good chassis setup.
The last wheelstand comp I seen had high powered car with big shots of NOS and no 12 sec cars.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As i said I'm not a big fan of the wheelies,some like the crowd pleasing attention that's just not my thing

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As i said I'm not a big fan of the wheelies,some like the crowd pleasing attention that's just not my thing

Then why are you replying to this thread if you know nothing about wheelies or don't care about them. If your car was capable, you would be out wheeling too. The guys who can't pull wheelies are the ones knockin it.

Attached picture 6928800-Dartfrombehind.JPG

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The last wheelstand comp I seen had high powered car with big shots of NOS and no 12 sec cars.

the board is very fortunate to have such a high powered wheel standing car with a good chassis setup among us. you will be an asset to the board. we bow at your feet

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the board is very fortunate to have such a high powered wheel standing car with a good chassis setup among us. you will be an asset to the board. we bow at your feet

See what I mean. Don't bow to my feet just bend over and kiss my A$$.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:34 AM

Droped off a cliff, What , thats new to me.

Ive seen lots of 12 and 15 sec, cars Pop the tires, but to carry them either takes power or a balance Factor.

The old Koffel Flintstone flyer that I worked on here in Canton ,Ohio had a massive 250# weight mounted just above the rear axel High{ 3 feet } in the rear passenger compartment.

Have you ever ridden a dirt bike and stood on the seat at the rear of the bike. If so you realize it will wheelie with ease.

Its a combo of physics and power.

If we would put say, 1000# in your trunk at the rear, both you or I could probably lift your front end off the ground. I know I could,

Wheelies = A combo of "Physics and Power"
Posted By: sam64

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:53 AM

my 11 sec car will jerk the fronts out of the beams just .003 before i need it too at times.so i hate wheelies,haha.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Then why are you replying to this thread if you know nothing about wheelies or don't care about them. If your car was capable, you would be out wheeling too. The guys who can't pull wheelies are the ones knockin it.

I'm not knockin it thats cool if thats your thing,i think this video says it all http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VFL7vdmJOk8&list=ULVFL7vdmJOk8

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 04:06 AM

Quote:

Droped off a cliff, What , thats new to me.

Ive seen lots of 12 and 15 sec, cars Pop the tires, but to carry them either takes power or a balance Factor.

The old Koffel Flintstone flyer that I worked on here in Canton ,Ohio had a massive 250# weight mounted just above the rear axel High{ 3 feet } in the rear passenger compartment.

Have you ever ridden a dirt bike and stood on the seat at the rear of the bike. If so you realize it will wheelie with ease.

Its a combo of physics and power.

If we would put say, 1000# in your trunk at the rear, both you or I could probably lift your front end off the ground. I know I could,

Wheelies = A combo of "Physics and Power"

I know what you are saying its the teater totter affect. Lots of cars do plop starts ,I also have a low 10.sec pontiac Ventura that does small wheelies and all the weight in the world did not help it wheelstand. Too much weight over loaded the chassis and the suspension did not work right.

Attached picture 6928880-PontiacVentura7-28-10.JPG
Posted By: MoparPitBull

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 04:11 AM

All i do is let go of the FUN BUTTON.

Attached picture 6928886-IMG_8362.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 04:12 AM

Quote:

my 11 sec car will jerk the fronts out of the beams just .003 before i need it too at times.so i hate wheelies,haha.

Really. My car never pulls them out of the beams. I would like to see video of that.
Here is a current video.
http://youtu.be/fAP_2rxz_GA

Here is a video of the wheel
http://youtu.be/LWD9sbw_UWk

Attached picture 6928888-LisaatSamoa.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 04:43 AM

Let me say that your car does do some Sweet wheelies!!!, and without Wheelie bars to boot.!

That does take some skilled chassis tuning work!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 05:08 AM

Wheelsup73, if the cars pinion gear is crawling up the ring gear it is not going as fast forward as it can I like about one to three inches of air under my front tires after leaving the starting line, all the weight of the car is on the back tires in that situation. I'm not being paid to make my car do giant wheeleis, are you? How much damage is or has been done to your car when it slams down for one reason or another. BTW, what track do you race at Maybe I can come by and take a swipe at your abiltities, remember the old song about "trying a little bit of your Honor(The Judge) on"

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 06:15 AM

Quote:

Wheelsup73, if the cars pinion gear is crawling up the ring gear it is not going as fast forward as it can I like about one to three inches of air under my front tires after leaving the starting line, all the weight of the car is on the back tires in that situation. I'm not being paid to make my car do giant wheeleis, are you? How much damage is or has been done to your car when it slams down for one reason or another. BTW, what track do you race at Maybe I can come by and take a swipe at your abiltities, remember the old song about "trying a little bit of your Honor(The Judge) on"

My car is legal to run 10.0 so thats where I run it and i'm sure it will run in the nines. I have replaced the oil pan twice, but the engine was built 5 years ago so the pan needed to come off anyway to check the bearings. This motor has over 600 runs in the last 3 years. like anything else stay on top of things and you should have no problems. I race at Infineon so come on down so I can send you packin! We have a race on the 27th of this month so Lets do it.
There is a reason that Infineon has won the Summit team Championchip more than any other track in Division 7.We have alot of very tough racers. Our pro class has easly have 70 or more cars at each race. I love the wheelies, my uncle had a 69 dart that pulled 300 plus foot wheelies and my dad has a Chevelle that runs 9.50s pulling wheelies into high gear. Wheelies are in my blood.

Attached picture 6929087-Launch.jpg
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 08:29 AM

I once asked a Stock class racer what's the problem with m y9 second streeter that it doesn't do wheelies, while a 283 powered high 12 sec malibu picks the tires up at launch. He wanted to see my ET card, looked at it for a while and said; "if my car ET:d and 60 ft:ed like this, I wouldn't give a damn even if the front end went 1 ft below the pavement". So, not much personale experience about wheel stands, too little experience, and too unpredictable power to really feel comfortable.

Posted By: His and Her 69's

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 08:48 AM

I don't do big wheelie's but can get it up some, 3550 lbs, 771 engine hp, all steel, 4 link, trans break, etc
Look at some super stock cars that race in the NHRA classes.
12 sec cars pulling the frontends up pretty Good.
11 sec cars do it also but don't know if they can drag the bumpers.
I believe it is a combo of a few things that make a car do wheelie's not just power.
Just my 2 cents David

Attached picture 6929160-IMG_2849.jpg
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Well its fun as hell to drive and I like to have fun at the track and before you say it, this car has won a whole bunch of ET,big bucks bracket races.I have been ET track champ 4 different times. Imagine you launch your car then moments into the run you look back at the other car and you see nothing but undercarage comming at you. Racers at my track do not wanna line up against this car!

Who would want an uncontrollable car in the lane next to them? I know I wouldn't even though you'd be in front of me. You may be able to control the wheelstand but you can't control the car unless you have independent rear wheel braking like the real wheelstanders do that get paid to show up and run.
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 03:57 PM

If all I had inside my car was 1 seat,a steering wheel, and a shifter I could put mine on the back bumper, I mean exhaust tips, they are below the bumper

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 05:36 PM

Quote:

If all I had inside my car was 1 seat,a steering wheel, and a shifter I could put mine on the back bumper, I mean exhaust tips, they are below the bumper

Well then you could just throw the steering wheel away too, won't need that either.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 05:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well then you could just throw the steering wheel away too, won't need that either. [/quote
What ever Saxaphone Suzzie
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 05:54 PM

The tranzbreak made my car launch like the Little Red Express!
Posted By: B1MAXX

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 06:30 PM

Just a question, how do all you guys in all the other pictures keep the tire nice and straight, up and down, unlike Wheelsup73's? If you look at all the other added pictures everyones tires seem to be nice and straight.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 06:34 PM

I would like to thank all of you for your input. I was just wondering
Why some cars could launch with the wheels up and others not.
Gregs Dart thanks for the lesson in rotational calculus. I have studied moment of inertia and rotational analysis and just didn’t make the connection. I guess I have taken too many classes and can’t see the application for the theory.
Wheelsup73 I really don’t know what to say but WOW. I loved the vid from inside your car. I guess I never really thought of not being able to see for that long when I drove my dragster. And yes I did pull the wheels straight up out of the beams. It happened before I lowered my starting rpms from 5000 to 2000. Big difference I went from who knows what the RT will be to fairly consistent .020 to .015 RTs. I have to ask, what are your 60’ times like? In the vid from the other lane, it looked like you tripped the 60’ lights with the rear wheels.
Thanks again for everyone’s input,
Mike
Posted By: Tig

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

Well its fun as hell to drive and I like to have fun at the track

We're not wheelying like 73 (yet), but we've done a couple of 150+ft shifting into second.
It costs us slightly over a 1/10th in the 1/4, funnily enough it's very consistant when it wheelies but inconsitstant about when it decides to do them
I have to say it's a very addictive feeling.
Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 08:50 PM

My car does big wheelstands also and I have to admit that not only is it FUN but I like the attention that it gets. I can knock then down anytime I want with front shock adjustments and lowering the bars. My car also 60fts. best when it carries the fronts pretty good.
It sounds like she has been doing this for a long time! If she is having fun,entertaining the crowd and does not give a hoot about losing a little et to the wheelstand then I say more power to YA !! Everyone has the freedom to run their car anyway they want to and that includes those who do not care for wheelies! If you don't like it then you can always look the other way but most everyone at our track comes to the fence when the wheelstanders come to the line!
Mike
p.s. Ever notice that when those of us on this forum post photo's of our cars that they always pick one of their car doing it's best wheelstand! ,Even if it is only picking them up a few inches of so!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 09:25 PM

Quote:

My car does big wheelstands also and I have to admit that not only is it FUN but I like the attention that it gets. I can knock then down anytime I want with front shock adjustments and lowering the bars. My car also 60fts. best when it carries the fronts pretty good.
It sounds like she has been doing this for a long time! If she is having fun,entertaining the crowd and does not give a hoot about losing a little et to the wheelstand then I say more power to YA !! Everyone has the freedom to run their car anyway they want to and that includes those who do not care for wheelies! If you don't like it then you can always look the other way but most everyone at our track comes to the fence when the wheelstanders come to the line!
Mike
p.s. Ever notice that when those of us on this forum post photo's of our cars that they always pick one of their car doing it's best wheelstand! ,Even if it is only picking them up a few inches of so!

It's one thing to do say a 300 foot wheelstand in a low 8 or 7 second car, it's quite another to do a 1000 foot wheelstand in a low 10 second car. They kick out the bikes for doing that you know.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/21/11 10:58 PM

Wheelstands are one of the coolest things about Drag racing and (with the excption of some World of outlaw cars down the backstretch) more or less unique to the sport.

It takes some real (forgive me Lisa but you know what I mean ) stones to launch wheels-up and motor down the track at WOT when the hood is completely eclipsing your view....and then pull the lever to hit the next gear.
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:10 AM

my wheels stay straight!

Attached picture 6929980-tulsa.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:13 AM

Quote:

Wheelstands are one of the coolest things about Drag racing and (with the excption of some World of outlaw cars down the backstretch) more or less unique to the sport.

It takes some real (forgive me Lisa but you know what I mean ) stones to launch wheels-up and motor down the track at WOT when the hood is completely eclipsing your view....and then pull the lever to hit the next gear.

Lisa pretty arrogant for a female.
Posted By: CRT

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:13 AM

Wheelstands make racing fun

Attached picture 6929988-johnmark1.JPG
Posted By: 572_dup2

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:14 AM

Quote:

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:15 AM

I see all the time, cars pull up no exhaust,lumpy cam etc take off like a 8 sec car,and die 1/2 way down the track and run 11 or 12's

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 12:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not to rain on your parade,if it made more power and the chassis was better,,it would stay down and u might beat the car u were racing in your youtube sig video
Posted By: Smoparmike

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 01:06 AM

A friend of mine won the first wheel stand contest at Byron back in the 90s with a 383(chevy) powered model A.He ran low 12s schocked everyone.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lisa pretty arrogant for a female.

I* think she's pretty freaking cool. Wish my girlfriend could do that.
She has her act together. Keep the wheels up girl.You are awesome.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 02:35 AM

my 65 plymouth

Attached picture 6930231-mckessonwheelie.jpg
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 03:58 AM

Quote:

Theres a small track about 10 miles from my home, but they won't prep the track. Another racer told me I should just "tune my car to the track". I can do that, but choose not too. My reply? "If i can't pull the wheels every pass, I'll stay home, or go somewhere that I can."
I don't pull the wheels as high or as long as Lisa's (my front wheels set down just short of the 60', and you can chalk mark that), and I've not torn up a oil pan or a guard rail yet, but if you think my car isn't consistant with the wheels up, just come give us a try sometime . Would it go quicker with out wheels up? Sure it would, but thats what the shoe polish is for, right?
Whats that old saying, "if you don't win, look good trying"? And yes, we do go the distance sometimes.

On a side note, my wife took this picture a few weeks ago, but it could have been 30 years ago.
AND LISA, I LOVE YOUR WHEELSTANDS!!!

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 6930404-EnglishMountain10-23-11106.JPG
Posted By: Dusted U

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 04:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Until you start breaking parts!

Attached picture 6930451-hpqscan0002.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 08:05 AM

When you can hang em high and be able to over power the tires, that is when it gets interesting! Was still going up, headed for the left guard rail. Time to lift!

Attached picture 6930681-Dartpics108.jpg
Posted By: CRT

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 04:57 PM

Getting out of the groove is no fun

Attached picture 6931025-100_6356.JPG

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 05:57 PM

Quote:

Just a question, how do all you guys in all the other pictures keep the tire nice and straight, up and down, unlike Wheelsup73's? If you look at all the other added pictures everyones tires seem to be nice and straight.

Watch this video and tell me how straight my wheels are. And no death wobble like most mopars when the tires hit the ground .

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

not to rain on your parade,if it made more power and the chassis was better,,it would stay down and u might beat the car u were racing in your youtube sig video

You don't know what your talking about. If this were the case why do most fast cars run wheelie bars. I don't know what video you are talking about but if is the one that racerbeep posted his car runs low 9s so its alittle faster than mine. The other videos are from a track that is 5 hours from my house and I went to the finals my first time racing there.Here is the final round.

Whens the last time you won a race? Go criticize your self because you have Nothing on me. Where are your videos ?

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 06:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You don't know what your talking about. If this were the case why do most fast cars run wheelie bars. I don't know what video you are talking about but if is the one that racerbeep posted his car runs low 9s so its alittle faster than mine. The other videos are from a track that is 5 hours from my house and I went to the finals my first time racing there.Here is the final round.

Whens the last time you won a race? Go criticize your self because you have Nothing on me. Where are your videos ?

Here is another vid of me backing into Jeff who is a division 7 ET Bracket finals champ.I had an .011 package and we both had .00 lights.

http://youtu.be/kYmJUV3J_xk
I laugh at you.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 06:49 PM

a twelve second car that wheelies is more fun than an eight second car that doesn't. it's been proven.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Watch this video and tell me how straight my wheels are. And no death wobble like most mopars when the tires hit the ground .

OK what were the adjustments made from previous pics? bump stops, camber?

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 07:08 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK what were the adjustments made from previous pics? bump stops, camber?

Rebuilt the front end.That pic is 2 years old. Boxed in the lower arms and tightened up the torsion bar pivots ,Mancini Racing upper tube control arms with heim joints.Reilly Motorsports solid strutrods,nylon lower bushing,firmfeel lower control arm pivot pins,11/16 tierod ends and pst adjusting sleeves.The camber won't move more than 1/2 degree throughout the whole suspension travel and the toe don't move more than 1/4 inch.I have tall(2in) bump stops on the lower control arm to help keep the oil pan off the track.

Attached picture 6931194-DSCN0017.JPG

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 07:34 PM

Are the tubular upper arms demensionally differt from stock? I end up pulling my hair out trying to accomodate toe and camber movements through out range. I just get it close and give up.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 07:43 PM

Quote:

I laugh at you.

I think there are more people laughing at you. I know I am.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 08:07 PM

Motorcycles follow the same laws of physics that a car does; H/P, traction, center of gravity, instant center, suspension attachment points, etc. You will NEVER see a motorcycle make it's fastest/quickest pass with the front wheel 4' in the air. One of the first things that high H/P bikes get is a longer swingarm - to control the wheelstand. It's not because they don't have the "stones" to ride it out - they are simply faster not wasting power lifting the front end and the on the additional air drag that the larger frontal area creates.

Wheelstands are the result of a balance point - the rear tires. The higher the front wheels are in the air - IT TAKES LESS H/P TO KEEP THEM THERE. Again physics. I could type examples all day, but the bottom line is any power used to lift the front of the car is wasted - the lower you can keep the front anD set the rear suspension, the faster you will go.

Do big wheelstands look cool? ABSOLUTELY! Is there a trick to doing them? ABSOLUTELY! Fastest way down the track? NOT A CHANCE!
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 08:43 PM

I would love it if my car did huge controlled wheelies like wheelsup73. That is awsome! Im definately laughing with you!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 09:43 PM

Quote:

Are the tubular upper arms demensionally differt from stock? I end up pulling my hair out trying to accomodate toe and camber movements through out range. I just get it close and give up.

Yes they allow for alot more adjustment.I now have 6 degrees of caster and I am able to set camber anywhere I want it.Its good money spent.
Posted By: Frito

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 09:45 PM

Stocker with leaf springs

Attached picture 6931408-aluise.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 09:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I laugh at you.

and there is no way this is a woman writing this baloney

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 09:51 PM

I do think the car is cool though. just don't see the need for the wheelie. maybe he has to do it to plant the tire.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:00 PM

I can put my car on the bumper but I dont like them
up that high... like most are saying it just a matter
of physics... move the CG higher and it takes less
torque to get under the CG

Re: Wheel Stands *DELETED* - 11/22/11 10:08 PM

Post deleted by WheelsUp73
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:12 PM

You guys about done with the pissin match?

Re: Wheel Stands *DELETED* - 11/22/11 10:20 PM

Post deleted by WheelsUp73
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:23 PM

If you look real close to my pic you will see my lft front tire up just a little. I would personally love to carry the hoops as high as wheelsup , but at my age I would probally poop my pants.

Attached picture 6931470-174z[1].jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:29 PM

What it takes to wheelstand. Get the engine as high in the chassis as possible. Also, get any weight in front of the rear axle as high as possible, such as raise the seat, radiator, etc. This raises the center of gravity. Use the tallest tires you can fit in the fenders, and use the softest front springs and loosest shocks to get the most "toss". All this raises the center of gravity, promoting wheelstands. Move any weight you can like battery, fuel call, etc., behind the rear axle, and use stiff rear springs and shocks, and move your spring or ladder bar attchment points up for maximum traction and leverage. All these tips promote wheelstands.

In other words, forget everything you were told about proper chassis setup.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I laugh at you.

and there is no way this is a woman writing this baloney

Your Wrong. Don't it suck for you knowing that a Girl knows more about cars than you. My husband and I own an auto repair business(www.Stevesperformance.net) and my dad has been build custom street rods and race cars for over 30 years from the ground up. My dad also raced in NHRA's Competittion Eliminator and held the National Record in A/D for a few years.Here is a pic of his Dragster that has run many 6.60s @ 206 in the qtr mile.

heres what everyone knows by your few posts.
1.you are very arrogant.
2.you have no respect for anyone, especially people you don't even know.
3.you probably know enough about a car to be dangerous.

and where the heck is Monte when you need him?

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:38 PM

Quick - Monty took his ball and went home...

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:40 PM

Quote:

Quick - Monty took his ball and went home...

and you can't blame him.....

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:41 PM

Quote:

[ posts.
1.you are very arrogant.

Speak for yourself you hipocrite! The pot is calling the kettle black.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

[ posts.
1.you are very arrogant.

Speak for yourself you hipocrite! The pot is calling the kettle black.

nice
Posted By: 65signet

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:43 PM

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I laugh at you.

Broken converter hubs are the thing of the past.I have never oiled down the track in over 20 years of racing. There is an easy fix for that problem but Clueless as you are you will continue to oil down the track with your crappy set up breaking converter hubs. Like I said before, You are the one being laughed at here,with your 2600# tube chassis car that made 1 run and oiled the track. Whatever Coupon Suzzie
This thread is for someone who wants to learn more about what it take to wheelstand and Clueless people like you that can't wheelstand always have some smarta$$ thing to say. I'm done replying to you. Go smoke some more Crack!

Actually if you go and read the OP I don't think he wanted know how to do a wheelstand but rather why it did a wheelstand. My car yanks the tires too but I've since adjusted it, I'll post a pic when I get home, but I don't have a pic after the adjustment.

For some reason you think you are better and know more than any one else here. You've called us names and berated any one that has disagreed with you. You are a real piece of work.

Definition of BERATE
transitive verb
: to scold or condemn vehemently and at length

Just in case you didn't know.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 10:50 PM

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when one of these people would try to tell WJ, AJ, or any of the other Pro Stock boys (Pro Stock - some of the most power effecient cars in racing, by the way) that they are doing it wrong because they don't carry the wheels 5' in the air.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:07 PM

Im not saying a 12 secound car cant pop the wheels up a little but he is saying on the bumper. Maybe a 12 secound car can go on the bumper but I have never seen it. Could someone please post up a video or some proof of a 12 secound car going even up close to the bumper. A wheelstand to me isnt popping em up for two feet.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:17 PM

Quote:

Im not saying a 12 secound car cant pop the wheels up a little but he is saying on the bumper. Maybe a 12 secound car can go on the bumper but I have never seen it. Could someone please post up a video or some proof of a 12 secound car going even up close to the bumper. A wheelstand to me isnt popping em up for two feet.

I've seen a two ton 12 second stocker Oldsmobile Delta 88 yank the front end 4 feet off the ground. First time I saw it I thought it was going to roll over. I don't have a pic but it was called "The Tank" or " The Tanker" something like that. It was a trip to watch.

Having the power to do a wheelstand is one thing. Intentionally setting up your car to do that is quite another and in my book unless you are getting paid to put on that show you are foolish, egotistical or you have some kind of complex, like little man syndrome or something. I'll have to ask my 24 year old psych major girlfriend what that is.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I laugh at you.

Broken converter hubs are the thing of the past.I have never oiled down the track in over 20 years of racing. There is an easy fix for that problem but Clueless as you are you will continue to oil down the track with your crappy set up breaking converter hubs. Like I said before, You are the one being laughed at here,with your 2600# tube chassis car that made 1 run and oiled the track. Whatever Coupon Suzzie
This thread is for someone who wants to learn more about what it take to wheelstand and Clueless people like you that can't wheelstand always have some smarta$$ thing to say. I'm done replying to you. Go smoke some more Crack!

My car yanks the tires too but I've since adjusted it, I'll post a pic when I get home, but I don't have a pic after the adjustment.

For some reason you think you are better and know more than any one else here. You've called us names and berated any one that has disagreed with you. You are a real piece of work.

Definition of BERATE
transitive verb

Thank you Mr. Jones. That is just what I wanted to know. I personally am of the school that if you pack too much air it slows the car down (ever try to push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood against the wind?). I just wanted to know what caused some cars to pack the fronts and others that run the same et/mph don't.

Mike

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I laugh at you.

My car yanks the tires too but I've since adjusted it, I'll post a pic when I get home, but I don't have a pic after the adjustment.

Definition of BERATE
transitive verb

Thank you Mr. Jones. That is just what I wanted to know. I personally am of the school that if you pack too much air it slows the car down (ever try to push a 4'x8' sheet of plywood against the wind?). I just wanted to know what caused some cars to pack the fronts and others that run the same et/mph don't.

Mike

We are talking drag cars! Bolth wheels! I have seen dump trucks also pull the wheels way up. Just looking for a real honest 12 secound drag car that looks normal and pulls the wheels way up! Please post up a video. I have seen plenty of 12 secound cars pull the wheels up but I want to see a 12 secound car wheelstand.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:37 PM

wheelsup,i dont know what im talkin about ha? my boys are running 5.20's with no wheelie bars on 10.5's no bars,my friend DEAN just one 275 class 2 weeks ago with no wheelie bars.wheelstands are kinda fun,but a true tuned chassis dont go up the height of yours point blank! wanna see a workin chassis watch guppy's car on split leaf mono's.1 foot off the ground wheel stands cool..6 ft wheel stands complete waste in a race.or go to youtube and type dino's mustang you'll see workin chassis.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:40 PM

Quote:

a twelve second car that wheelies is more fun than an eight second car that doesn't. it's been proven.

well i drove 12,11,10 & 9 and i have news for ya,your wrong! why the heak do you think theres such a demand for chassis shops and good engine builders?

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/22/11 11:43 PM

Quote:

If you look real close to my pic you will see my lft front tire up just a little. I would personally love to carry the hoops as high as wheelsup , but at my age I would probally poop my pants.

lol

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 12:51 AM

As promised, here's a pic of my car. Only the third pass on this combo and oh geez, I'm so clueless I'm at the division finals.

Car is on the bars hard here too, you do know what those are don't you?

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:00 AM

Yep, see those bars sticking out the back with the little wheels? They are called wheelie bars and are used to tune the chassis and keep the car from scraping the bumper, smashing the oil pan, bending suspension components from insane wheelstands, wasteing ET and generally making a fool of yourself. But I digress...

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:04 AM

And BTW since you think your Dart will run circles around my leaking junk, I'll stick a piece of junk converter here I have in it and you can come on down to sunny Florida and GRAB A LANE! Oh yeah, bring cash too because you're going to need it. Best two out of three, how's that sound huh? Put some money with your mouth.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:36 AM

Gang, I think we are getting away from the OP's desired reply's hear. Time to call it a day. If it doesn't directly answer one of the Op's questions, then it should be taken elsewhere.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:37 AM

Quote:

As promised, here's a pic of my car. Only the third pass on this combo and oh geez, I'm so clueless I'm at the division finals.

Horrible..Look at the body twist..That tubechassis cas should leave straight.You are loosing more power in that flexing pipe rack you call a frame than I do pulling wheelies.2600# tube chassis car that runs 9.75 VS a 3134 Lb car with mini tubs and a 10.5 tire that easly run s 10.0s( it as fast as the car is legal to go)You do the math who makes more power. No I'm not driving to Flordia.
Eddy heads 11.to 1 soild cam.
http://youtu.be/TwRs1Z5i7WA
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:40 AM

Greg is correct...This has gone waaay off topic..You two guys can pm each other or start another thread...

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:41 AM

:grin But in all fairness I do like your car!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:53 AM

Quote:

Gang, I think we are getting away from the OP's desired reply's hear. Time to call it a day. If it doesn't directly answer one of the Op's questions, then it should be taken elsewhere.

You are 100 percent correct..My apologys to the board. I'm done here.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

well i drove 12,11,10 & 9 and i have news for ya,your wrong! why the heak do you think theres such a demand for chassis shops and good engine builders?

everyone's looking for the wheelie. i read about it in nat geo. crab.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 02:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You are 100 percent correct..My apologys to the board. I'm done here.

Lisa, Keep doing what your doing.Your a great racer with a great car that works.
Posted By: 10.90 Racer

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 02:25 AM

Quote:

Motorcycles follow the same laws of physics that a car does; H/P, traction, center of gravity, instant center, suspension attachment points, etc. You will NEVER see a motorcycle make it's fastest/quickest pass with the front wheel 4' in the air. One of the first things that high H/P bikes get is a longer swingarm - to control the wheelstand. It's not because they don't have the "stones" to ride it out - they are simply faster not wasting power lifting the front end and the on the additional air drag that the larger frontal area creates.

Wheelstands are the result of a balance point - the rear tires. The higher the front wheels are in the air - IT TAKES LESS H/P TO KEEP THEM THERE. Again physics. I could type examples all day, but the bottom line is any power used to lift the front of the car is wasted - the lower you can keep the front anD set the rear suspension, the faster you will go.

Do big wheelstands look cool? ABSOLUTELY! Is there a trick to doing them? ABSOLUTELY! Fastest way down the track? NOT A CHANCE!

Lisa........... You picking on the boys again?!?!?!.... You Go Girl!!!!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 02:59 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Horrible..Look at the body twist..That tubechassis cas should leave straight.You are loosing more power in that flexing pipe rack you call a frame than I do pulling wheelies.2600# tube chassis car that runs 9.75 VS a 3134 Lb car with mini tubs and a 10.5 tire that easly run s 10.0s( it as fast as the car is legal to go)You do the math who makes more power. No I'm not driving to Flordia.
Eddy heads 11.to 1 soild cam.
http://youtu.be/TwRs1Z5i7WA

And if your lexan door windowed car weighs 3100 lbs Ill eat my hat. lol. Who cares if she's losing et with wheelies? Sound like a bunch of pro-stockers on here. Most people forgot what drag racing is about.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:03 AM

Hmm, my car still has all the factory glass in it, steel doors and the windows still roll up and down. Door locks work too.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:04 AM

Quote:

Hmm, my car still has all the factory glass in it, steel doors and the windows still roll up and down. Door locks work too.

not you

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:06 AM

Yeah, I got that. Just sayin'.
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:07 AM

Quote:

Wow, you need more air in the rear tires!

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:09 AM

Quote:

I sure would raise the tire pressure

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:10 AM

There's actually 8 pounds in there but you know how that goes. Hurry up to the lanes and wait for two hours while they clean up the last Chevy oil down.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:17 AM

Quote:

There's actually 8 pounds in there but you know how that goes. Hurry up to the lanes and wait for two hours while they clean up the last Chevy oil down.

I air up the tires about a 1/4# to 1/2# high then set
them in the lanes as the lane starts to move... but
I run tubes so they tend to build pressure in the sun

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 03:32 AM

Yeah I don't run tubes so they tend to leak down. I had no crew with me that year and the trailer was too far away so you get what you get. The car will still work fine from 9 to 7.5 psi so it's not that big of a deal.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 06:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they allow for alot more adjustment.I now have 6 degrees of caster and I am able to set camber anywhere I want it.Its good money spent.

Thanks for the info.......

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 09:07 PM

i agree,i also run 12 lbs in my slicks,which after a good burn out is about 15.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 10:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don't run tubes so they tend to leak down. I had no crew with me that year and the trailer was too far away so you get what you get. The car will still work fine from 9 to 7.5 psi so it's not that big of a deal.

I carry a little foot pump that goes for under $10.00. It's about 8" long, 3" wide and less than 2" high. I pump by hand, but it's easy at low pressures. It might take a while to get a big tire up 1/2 - 1 lb, but it's good to have in an emergency.

Different rear pressures can steer the car as well as have a little affect on RT's because lower pressures wad up more before actually moving!

Eliminate any variable that you can.
Posted By: larry890

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/23/11 11:12 PM

http://youtu.be/YX4GyaHHD2U my best attempt so far.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 01:08 AM

Quote:

Most people forgot what drag racing is about.

Last I checked, it was about going the FASTEST, not the HIGHEST.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i'm a bracket racer, so it's about being the most consistent driver in the most consistent car.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 01:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i'm a bracket racer, so it's about being the most consistent driver in the most consistent car.

You're both wrong. Its about having a good time.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 02:50 AM

I guess I missed it. Did Eddie move to Californa and have a sex change? j/k
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:03 AM

Each car, and the track(s) racers attend, are different. The setup to hook, and produce killer package numbers, vary greatly. Of course, I'm referring to et racers. The heads up folks will have a different need. To try and state an absolute, will always have both benefactors, and detractors.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're both wrong. Its about having a good time.

Nope, you are ALL wrong.
The correct answer is "D" - All of the above.....and then some!
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 05:14 AM

Ya...nothing more boring than a couple of big block 4spd Stock Eliminator cars wasting time(and et)putting those frontrunners so high in the air! Sheesh,nothing disgusts fans and drivers more than this kind of unsavory behavior!! Ever wonder why Super Stock is voted the most popular sportsman class in drag racing year in and year out by the fans?? Hmmmm, I say hang em high!!!

Attached picture 6933552-AStockClassFinalIndy10.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 05:26 AM

Quote:

Ya...nothing more boring than a couple of big block 4spd Stock Eliminator cars wasting time(and et)putting those frontrunners so high in the air! Sheesh,nothing disgusts fans and drivers more than this kind of unsavory behavior!! Ever wonder why Super Stock is voted the most popular sportsman class in drag racing year in and year out by the fans?? Hmmmm, I say hang em high!!!

Yeah those stands look full to me.... dont worry, I
like them also
Posted By: SuperStockWagon

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 05:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah those stands look full to me.... dont worry, I
like them also

Class eliminations during the week tend to look that way..a lot of great racing missed by the masses!

Posted By: 1968beepbeep

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 06:20 AM

Nothin' like Frank Lupo's Hemi Dodge ridin' the rear bumper! (The Fairbanks Racing Automatics car)

Attached picture 6933659-racer2.jpg

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:47 PM

The nice slow motion ones, about 3 feet high, carried to the 1-2 shift, make my Dart deadly on the dial in. More than that, and the bounce starts to mess with the dial.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:48 PM

If the front tires are off the ground you have 100% weight transfer,doesn't matter if it's 1" or a foot.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:50 PM

I agree, however: Most bracket tracks, don't have the greatest prep beyond the pad. The unloading from a tiny one, in a 10 second car like mine, serves to encourage unloading. The long slow ones seem to work the best for me.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:51 PM

Quote:

If the front tires are off the ground you have 100% weight transfer,doesn't matter if it's 1" or a foot.

The higher up you go your just pushing more air

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:53 PM

I'm no aero expert, but, do you think it's a factor in first gear? I'd guess not much.

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 03:59 PM

Quote:

I'm no aero expert, but, do you think it's a factor in first gear? I'd guess not much.

It all makes a difference but as the speed goes up
it hurts more and the air tends to hold the car up
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/24/11 08:30 PM

Humm... Big wheelie post.... The fans do love them, especially when you crash ... On the hard top it may be a fun thing to do... But in the mud its all fun & games till you catch a bad rut & hang it into the wall.... If you run early in the pit it is kinda fun , when things start to get sloppy your on your own
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/25/11 05:29 PM

Quote:

No NOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuGzDwSulM

Yep, you can make a 20 sec car into a wheelstander... just need to be creative

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/25/11 05:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No NOS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iuGzDwSulM

Yep, you can make a 20 sec car into a wheelstander... just need to be creative

A friend had a POS ford that he put a 4 link in...
but he screwed up on his setting, instead of having
a IC point in front he had the bars going wider at
the front.... his car would lift the front tires at
the hit and it was just some POS engine and was in
the 15 sec range... I finally told him what was wrong
but it was funny out on the street

Re: Wheel Stands - 11/26/11 04:31 AM

Quote:

I agree, however: Most bracket tracks, don't have the greatest prep beyond the pad. The unloading from a tiny one, in a 10 second car like mine, serves to encourage unloading. The long slow ones seem to work the best for me.

Same with my car, but every package is different. In a perfect world, the one inch scenario would be spot on,,,,,, but there are factors,,,
Kinda like the SS and stock class cars that hang them high. They need to do that to keep enough load on the rear till the car can sustain traction. These cars have less G force to add to weight transfer and have to rely on this to keep max traction. A Pro Stocker on the other hand has an abundance of power available to keep that G force high which in turn keeps weight transfer high. So, they don't need to hang em!
And you know a lot of those S and SS guys would sell their moms last meal for .005!
© 2024 Moparts Forums