Moparts

stock smallblock rods...

Posted By: mshred

stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 05:02 AM

how much RPM and power can they take? Obviously with a good set of rod bolts installed as well and a balance job, what is the most they can handle?
Posted By: dartman366

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 09:06 AM

cannot tell you what they can handle, but I know they will take quite a pounding, my old 366 was testiment to that, 11-teens in a 3200# dart for 13 years, sold it 4 years ago and the guy is still running it
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 02:57 PM

340/360 rods are somewhat heavier than the 318 rod but either are used in a lot of circle cars because of the rules.
yhey run well and even the lighter ones are heavier than the chevie rods.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 03:20 PM

Anyone ever seen a 340/360 rod break? I haven't....Seen some bent in a 90 degree angle and twisted like a pretzel when a crank broke, but never had one break....
Posted By: 3ddart

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 03:30 PM

yes they can break!!! i had a set redone about 5 yrs ago that went into a low 11 sec. 340 (shifting @ 6200)and before they were redone i asked about magna-fluxing them and machine shop owner said no they never break. guess again. after about 20 passes, mostly 1/8th mile 1s, the car developed a bad vibration so we started investigating and found #7 had snapped off. it put a divit in the bottom of that cylinder, broke that piston and bent the valves also. so i lost a block and a set of pistons because they didn't check them
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 03:54 PM

My car has only run a best of 12.40 but it has run hundreds of passes with stock rods with heavy TRW pistons and shifted at 6,200 RPM.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 05:18 PM

I know of a lot of fords, and chevys with stock mopar rods in them, Polished side beams, shot peened, and resized they can take a pounding. I screwed up once and put SIR eagle rods in a 360, and put the reworked stock rods on the shelf, I dont trust that short block now because I know the SIRs are a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled. Yes the mopar rods could brake just as easy, but there are more shot SIRs than stock mopar rods that I personally know of.

A guy I know had a 347 ford with mopar 6.123 340 rods in it, and ran a lot of spray, and the only reason it popped is after 4 years of pounding it he decited to freshen the bottom end, and didnt check over the heads, he dropped a valve, killed a piston and corked a rod, that rod bent hit the crank and it was cut in half along with the stock ford block.

He still has that rod and piston on his shelf, looks like the rod was in a metal shear.

Kasey
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 05:48 PM

My old 363 has stock rods in it with ARP bolts. Been twisting it to 7200 for 15 years. Ran a best of 10.16 at 2600 pounds.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 07:39 PM

So is shot peening and polishing stock rods a must in a high horsepower application?

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 07:46 PM

I know that when I got my Childs and alberts rods for my 408, they were shot peened from the factory, and there wasnt a sign of a stress risor anywhere on them, the King billet rods in my buddies sbc are shot peened, and they also are stress risor free.

All the polishing does is takes the rough casting marks from the sides, and also eliminates any stress risors, shot peening takes both stress risors out, and is suposed to "even out" the metallurgy in the rods also.

Kasey
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/16/11 11:24 PM

They are great--If they are straight , have reg ole ARP bolts, and are machined by a good shop they are almost indestructable--and..if you have a race engine most likely you have pretty light pistons so that makes them even stronger--old TRW slugs can kill any combo but I love stock SB rods! 4 small blocks--8 years, 250-300 rounds a year, never as much as a spun bearing!
SIR's have a bad rap but you have to consider that they have been through many versions--first ones had knurled bolts that were not so hot, then a batch was made with tang grooves in the wrong place, and as time went on bolt combos got better.
They are easy to over torque and the bushing quality is questionable--they are light and make one turn like a chainsaw but I have had 3 engines experience failure with SIR's so I don't use them anymore. So...compare good stock rods with bolts to the H Beams out there and stockers win IMO>
Posted By: dogdays

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/17/11 12:35 AM

Most every failure starts from the outermost fiber, in tension. Shotpeening (not just glassbeading) causes a compressive stress that's locked into the surface, so it takes more tensile stress to start a crack.

Real shotpeening usually uses steel shot and the intensity is specified on the Almen scale.

R.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/17/11 03:01 AM

Quote:

I know of a lot of fords, and chevys with stock mopar rods in them, Polished side beams, shot peened, and resized they can take a pounding. I screwed up once and put SIR eagle rods in a 360, and put the reworked stock rods on the shelf, I dont trust that short block now because I know the SIRs are a grenade waiting for the pin to be pulled. Yes the mopar rods could brake just as easy, but there are more shot SIRs than stock mopar rods that I personally know of.

A guy I know had a 347 ford with mopar 6.123 340 rods in it, and ran a lot of spray, and the only reason it popped is after 4 years of pounding it he decited to freshen the bottom end, and didnt check over the heads, he dropped a valve, killed a piston and corked a rod, that rod bent hit the crank and it was cut in half along with the stock ford block.

He still has that rod and piston on his shelf, looks like the rod was in a metal shear.

Kasey

what is the bearing size of sb ford and how did they do that sounds like alote bull sheet going around

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/17/11 05:08 AM

I wouldn't buy SIR rods if you paid me to.

It seems like shot peening is a good idea then...I'd have to price out that and resizing them then to see if they are worth running or stepping up to a brand new aftermarket rod
Posted By: darndart

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/17/11 05:44 AM

Quote:

Kasey

I don't beleive this is possible. I've built a couple 347's with 5.4" rod and the wrist pin intersects the oil rings. A 6.123 rod would put the piston somewhere in the middle of cylinder head!

My son's 427/351windsor based stroker uses a 6.125 SBC rod. I could see the Mopar rod maybe used in that combo. But the crank still has a 2.10 SBC jouranl size!!!!
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/17/11 04:23 PM

im running stock rods...lightened balanced polished and shot peened,
ive turned the motor 8k by accident a few times a few yrs ago..but motor still runs excellent...
6.67 1/8th last time out...

i went through a bunch of rods trying to get a set of 10 all done up the same...
i had 6 rods left over after doing this prep..
I had a ford guy want those so i got 2 more done to match that left over 6 rods..and sold them to him for 150 bucks..he put them in a ford stroker also...and is happy last i heard?

hold a 340 rod next to a big block chevy rod then youll get the picture..

cheapst

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/18/11 05:29 PM

Back in the day I used an aircraft engine rebuilder to Magnaflux and shotpeen stock rods. This is during the '70s when that was all we had.
R.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/18/11 09:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kasey

I don't beleive this is possible. I've built a couple 347's with 5.4" rod and the wrist pin intersects the oil rings. A 6.123 rod would put the piston somewhere in the middle of cylinder head!

My son's 427/351windsor based stroker uses a 6.125 SBC rod. I could see the Mopar rod maybe used in that combo. But the crank still has a 2.10 SBC jouranl size!!!!

Might have been in his other 302 that had an offset ground crank inn it. Now that you say that. The last few 347s i built were way op in the piston also.

Kasey
Posted By: LSP

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 12:39 AM

Not sure where the limits are, but with proper prep, deburring, peening, and bolts 340 rods have been to 550hp and 8300 rpm.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 04:41 AM

Quote:

So is shot peening and polishing stock rods a must in a high horsepower application?

Aftermarket rods is a must in high horsepower applications. The lighter the piston, the easier it is on the rod. The shorter the stroke, the better.
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 01:45 PM

Interesting note:

I have gone through the math in the past and to sum it up, the force on the rod is increased exponentialy with engine speed and proportionaly with increased stroke.

Assuming equal piston/pin weights, rods in a 340 (3.13 stroke) at 7250 rpm see more force than a in a 410(4 in stroke) at 6000 rpm, even though the motors are pumping the same volumes at those speeds.

At similar power levels, you can get away with lighter/weaker rods in a stroker. The difference in rod stress is even greater when you factor in real-world piston weight.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

The shorter the stroke, the better.

Try again
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 04:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Try again

Force = Mass x Acceleration.

longer strokes move the pistons further up and down in the same amount of time as a stock stroke.

in order to move further up and down in the cylinder, the piston has to accelerate faster/harder and travel faster before coming to a full stop and going back the other way.

higher acceleration on the same sized piston means more force exerted on the rods.

I believe that's what he meant when he said "the shorter the stroke, the better"
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 05:07 PM

They are pretty damn tough in my book. Had a 340 with domed TRWs and 400 hp plate set up and never had any problems. They were resized with good bolts. Regularly went 7500+ for years. Bearings looked great too. As for the pistons when the motor went lean a time or too, thats a different story.
Posted By: dodgeboy11

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Try again

longer strokes move the pistons further up and down in the same amount of time as a stock stroke.

in order to move further up and down in the cylinder, the piston has to accelerate faster/harder and travel faster before coming to a full stop and going back the other way.

higher acceleration on the same sized piston means more force exerted on the rods.

I believe that's what he meant when he said "the shorter the stroke, the better"

Indeed, that is what I meant

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 06:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Try again

10-4, I misunderstood at first.
Posted By: d-150

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 07:12 PM

i was thinking of building a 408 out of a 360 magnum. this is going to be a street cruiser stock magnum heads maybe have bullet cams grind a good street cam going in a a body. would the stock magnum rods be ok for build
Posted By: W5DART66

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 08:15 PM

On stock rods its not the beam most of the time that fails its when you start to make some power the big end will not stay round.
Then it grabs bearing and its all over.
For the price of H beam rods now I would never run stock rods.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/19/11 08:17 PM

Quote:

On stock rods its not the beam most of the time that fails its when you start to make some power the big end will not stay round.

Posted By: emarine01

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/20/11 04:10 AM

Quote:

Quote:

4X.... Good advice.... :

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/21/11 05:00 AM

thanks for all the replies everyone!

Will definitely make my decision easier when the time comes
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/21/11 06:22 AM

Dont be afraid of old school ways and parts....Ive one shortblock sitting here with sir rods in it and thats the one im worried about.....not ma mopars parts.

Attached picture 6929096-DSC07609.JPG
Posted By: tubtar

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 11/21/11 01:55 PM

Quote:

Back in the day I used an aircraft engine rebuilder to Magnaflux and shotpeen stock rods. This is during the '70s when that was all we had.
R.

Aircraft Services in Bloomington , Mn. did all mine.
I don't know if they are still in business , but I think he did everyone's back then.
Usually , the automotive parts out numbered the air plane parts by two to one when I was in his shop.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 09:31 PM

well I went to the machine shop today.

To resize all 8 rods as well as remove the old pistons and install the new forged ones press fit style I am looking at 150 bucks. I already have ARP bolts in them, and I am thinking I will polish the rods myself since I have the tools for it.

What do ya'll think? skip it and go aftermarket?

This won't be a high rpm motor, but it will definitely see some 100-150 shot nitrous hits in its life...the whole rotating assembly will be getting balanced
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 09:41 PM

Quote:

To resize all 8 rods as well as remove the old pistons and install the new forged ones press fit style I am looking at 150 bucks. I already have ARP bolts in them, and I am thinking I will polish the rods myself since I have the tools for it.

This won't be a high rpm motor, but it will definitely see some 100-150 shot nitrous hits in its life...the whole rotating assembly will be getting balanced

I would just spend the extra money and get some Scat I-beam rods, that will also get you over to a floating pin from the pressed pin in the stock rods. Its easy to spend someone elses money though LOL.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 09:43 PM

if you polish the rods, they should be shot peened afterward, which will require resizing, and possible bolt replacement. polishing starts a chain reaction of necessary additional processes.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 10:24 PM

Quote:

if you polish the rods, they should be shot peened afterward, which will require resizing, and possible bolt replacement. polishing starts a chain reaction of necessary additional processes.

I was never aware that shot peening was nescessary after polishing. I thought it was just an extra step to help further strengthen the rods. I figured a rod that is only polished is better than one with nothing done to it at all.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 10:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would just spend the extra money and get some Scat I-beam rods, that will also get you over to a floating pin from the pressed pin in the stock rods. Its easy to spend someone elses money though LOL.

Yea, if I have to shot peen them after polishing then it won't be worth it for me to keep the stock ones, probably just move up to the Scat I beams, nice rod for the money and bushed for floating pins
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 10:36 PM

I used a set of Viper rods in one of my builds, they
come magnafluxed so I started with decent stuff ...
I polished them,balanced then had them shot peened
again... they lasted a couple of years running 8000
rpm but ended up tearing one in half and it took out
the side of the block... it was still attached to the
crank and the other half was still on the piston
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/21/11 11:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/22/11 02:05 AM

Quote:

Yea, if I have to shot peen them after polishing then it won't be worth it for me to keep the stock ones, probably just move up to the Scat I beams, nice rod for the money and bushed for floating pins

I just put some in my 360. They are nice looking pieces especially for the $$$.
Posted By: chris3

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/22/11 03:48 PM

We unknowingly used stock rods on Ross Pistons in a 340 for a couple of years. We punished these rods, shift at 6,000 through the lights at 6,500. Big end finally broke at Pinks All Out Virginia temperatures that week-end were way high, just not good. Took a motor that we had been sold as a "scat crankshaft and rods" apart only to find stock rods with one broken. Never really worried about the motor.

Spent alot of money for JE lightweight pistons, K1 Technologies, new block, new crankshaft. With four runs, shift at 6,000 throught the lights at 6,500, broke a K1 Technologies rod, right in the middle. New block, new crankshaft and replacement rods and worry about it every time we put it on the starting line.

By the way working on another motor with parts similar to the first one with "MOPAR" parts

Attached picture 6979024-Fayetteville2011096.JPG
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/22/11 04:02 PM

Quote:

i was thinking of building a 408 out of a 360 magnum. this is going to be a street cruiser stock magnum heads maybe have bullet cams grind a good street cam going in a a body. would the stock magnum rods be ok for build

I'm sure stock rods will work, but I'd really want to go aftermarket, and get floating pins instead of pressed. plus, if you use stock rods with nearly 1/2" longer stroke, you're going to have to get really short pistons which won't be ideal for a street set-up.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/22/11 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

A SCAT I-beam rod fan here, too. NO grinding the block with 4.00" crank! AND...the rods were spot on OOTB according to my machine shop. 75-ish runs so far at 7100 in the lights...no issues so far.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/22/11 04:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure stock rods will work, but I'd really want to go aftermarket, and get floating pins instead of pressed. plus, if you use stock rods with nearly 1/2" longer stroke, you're going to have to get really short pistons which won't be ideal for a street set-up.

All the aftermarket SB mopar rods are the same length and have been used sucessfully for many years with the short pistons, don't give the rod length or piston height any thought.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/23/11 08:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

A SCAT I-beam rod fan here, too. NO grinding the block with 4.00" crank! AND...the rods were spot on OOTB according to my machine shop. 75-ish runs so far at 7100 in the lights...no issues so far.

this is what I wanted to hear about the Scat rods. I understand they are better quality overall then the mopar stock stuff (or supposed to be) but I dont want to spend 300 and some on new rods to only have to spend even more to get them resized

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/23/11 08:27 PM

Quote:

We unknowingly used stock rods on Ross Pistons in a 340 for a couple of years. We punished these rods, shift at 6,000 through the lights at 6,500. Big end finally broke at Pinks All Out Virginia temperatures that week-end were way high, just not good. Took a motor that we had been sold as a "scat crankshaft and rods" apart only to find stock rods with one broken. Never really worried about the motor.

Spent alot of money for JE lightweight pistons, K1 Technologies, new block, new crankshaft. With four runs, shift at 6,000 throught the lights at 6,500, broke a K1 Technologies rod, right in the middle. New block, new crankshaft and replacement rods and worry about it every time we put it on the starting line.

By the way working on another motor with parts similar to the first one with "MOPAR" parts

wow that seems out of the ordinary for the K1 stuff from what I have heard about their quality. I would definitely be skeptical myself after that too.

When you were running the stock rods and crank, were those Ross pistons press fit or full floating pins?
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/23/11 08:34 PM

Quote:

I am betting you have some kind of assembly problem causing the rod to fail.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/24/11 04:59 AM

Quote:

Running Scat I-Beams in my 4" engine also. I had my local machine shop go over every single rod and they were very impressed with the quality and none of them needed any adjustments. And no block grinding required they easily cleared. Much lighter and stronger then the stock rods too.

Re: stock smallblock rods... - 12/26/11 01:53 AM

YEP, Aircraft Services. I still have a set of Olds 455 rods they did for me in the box they were returned in. There weren't aftermarket rods or even bolts for most of the engines in the mid '70s. Now you have choices, to boot!

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums