Moparts

Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted

Posted By: Moparnut426

Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 05:17 PM

Does anyone know the story on what happened to her car, why it fired back up and blasted through the safety gate, and into a trailer?

I watched it and it was freeky. She was super shook, and very apolojetic to the sportsman racer whos trailer was bashed up.

Kasey
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 05:40 PM

She was in tears after the fact and I dont blame her...
Posted By: Kindafast

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:02 PM

I don't see how it could start whith the fuel cut off.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:08 PM

Quote:

I don't see how it could start whith the fuel cut off.

its haunted!!

anyone have a link or video to this?
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:20 PM

Flash Gordon Mineo had a similar problem about 20 years ago on a turn-off and the engine fired up and ran into Eddie Hill's dragster on the return road. I personally think nitro engines are pretty much diesels when everything is hot after/during a run. Back in the 1980s, Bernstein said his mags quit and the car still ran a 6.02, and that was when they were running 5.60-5.80s. Don Garlit's once told me he had the wires get caught up in the blower belt and ripped all the wires off one side of the engine and it kept on running. I wonder if the fuel shut-off was completely closed in Melanie's and Flash's case?
Posted By: dustergirl340

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:20 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31gO4nx5JJo&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:50 PM

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31gO4nx5JJo&feature=youtu.be

Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 06:53 PM

I hope they are paying to fix that poor guy's trailer...
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 07:13 PM

The clutch must have welded together during the run.......when they pushed it, it turned the motor over and since there's still fuel in the fuel rails and I'm sure the mag kill wires weren't plugged in (since she'd apparantly stopped on the track) it fired up......

They just have a Reverser, which has a lever for forward and reverse....but they also have a feature where you can pull a button and put it into neutral, but you typically have to rock the car back and forth to get it to go into that.....
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 07:15 PM

Quote:

Flash Gordon Mineo had a similar problem about 20 years ago on a turn-off and the engine fired up and ran into Eddie Hill's dragster on the return road. I personally think nitro engines are pretty much diesels when everything is hot after/during a run. Back in the 1980s, Bernstein said his mags quit and the car still ran a 6.02, and that was when they were running 5.60-5.80s. Don Garlit's once told me he had the wires get caught up in the blower belt and ripped all the wires off one side of the engine and it kept on running. I wonder if the fuel shut-off was completely closed in Melanie's and Flash's case?

Yes they are diesels after about the 1/8 mile mark. The electrodes are already burnt off the spark plugs by then and they are running on heat and compression. Essentially they are detonating at that point.
Posted By: PolyDart

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 07:21 PM

Wow... looks like someone got real close to getting hit just before it went through the barriers. Very lucky for all involved that it wasn't worse.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 07:59 PM

Here comes more safety rules, her clutch must of been junk like what was said. That's too bad for her.
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 08:06 PM

they are very careful to get ALL the fuel out of those things after a run. there must have been a leaking shutoff, or something of that nature. you can hear them "airing out" the engine in the shutdown area. any fuel left in there causes real bad things. no fuel- no dieseling. unless it ran on oil like that pro stocker did. did melanie's engine smoke when it fired?

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 08:42 PM

Quote:

they are very careful to get ALL the fuel out of those things after a run. there must have been a leaking shutoff, or something of that nature. you can hear them "airing out" the engine in the shutdown area. any fuel left in there causes real bad things. no fuel- no dieseling. unless it ran on oil like that pro stocker did. did melanie's engine smoke when it fired?

A diesel will run on oil for sure, in fact will run away, and with the compression ratios the P/S are running I can see that happening easily.

And I bet those P/S aren't adhering to that .038 piston to head clearance either.

OK, that was a cheap shot...
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 09:17 PM

"The electrodes are already burnt off the spark plugs by then and they are running on heat and compression. Essentially they are detonating at that point. "

That is not true. I have personally been a guest in a Top Fuel pit area and was able to pick up the spark plugs and look at them after a pass. They looked normal. I always though the same thing until I saw them.
Posted By: EV2DEMON

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 09:21 PM

Quote:

"The electrodes are already burnt off the spark plugs by then and they are running on heat and compression. Essentially they are detonating at that point. "

That is not true. I have personally been a guest in a Top Fuel pit area and was able to pick up the spark plugs and look at them after a pass. They looked normal. I always though the same thing until I saw them.

Not only that, but if it were true, you wouldn't see a car drop a cylinder past the 1/8 mile mark. Happens all the time though.

Remember when NHRA used the ignition rev limiters to limit top speed in the fuel cars? They couldn't have done that if the spark plugs weren't working...

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 09:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Not only that, but if it were true, you wouldn't see a car drop a cylinder past the 1/8 mile mark. Happens all the time though.

Remember when NHRA used the ignition rev limiters to limit top speed in the fuel cars? They couldn't have done that if the spark plugs weren't working...

Maybe so, I'm no expert on fuel cars for sure. I was going by what I have heard crew chiefs say. And we all know they always tell the truth.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/15/11 09:51 PM

I have worked on fuel cars and if the tip is burned off, then it hurt it's self on that run.

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 12:17 AM

Quote:

I have worked on fuel cars and if the tip is burned off, then it hurt it's self on that run.

Exactly......I've seen runs where the plugs look like brand new, even after running 325MPH in 1000'.......

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 02:06 AM

I have never bought in to the burning off electrodes theory either. Im sure they can diesel if the condisions are best for that, but how would they drop a cylinder if they didnt loose some kind of ignition. unless they burn a valve, and ya hardly hear of that.

Kasey
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 07:18 AM

Several reasons but one is Nitro cars need a "load" on the engine to force the burn - you see cars all the time spin the tires and then drop cylinder's.
Posted By: RTshaker

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 01:59 PM

I seen a science show this past weekend where the interviewer had a TF crew chief hit a bottle cap of nitro-methane with a hammmer and ..what a pop !!

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 02:17 PM

Quote:

Several reasons but one is Nitro cars need a "load" on the engine to force the burn - you see cars all the time spin the tires and then drop cylinder's.

All motors need a load on them to burn fuel.........Ever blip the throttle on a car with a Dominator, in neutral, and see the puff of black smoke?? (but that, obviously, isn't enough fuel to make car drop a cylinder)......then drag the car to the starting line and hammer on it and it doesn't do that.....

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 09:01 PM

i watched the video last night. no smoke. i think fuel was getting to the engine. that thing took off big time. inflated the chutes. there was fire in the pipes after she (and the trailer) got it stopped.

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 09:27 PM

A friend of mine is a clutch guy for the red line oil funny and he said they dont think she got the fuel shut all the way off or something cause as she was taking off her belts it lit up and she couldnt react quick enough.

Kasey
Posted By: springers340dart

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 09:49 PM

very scary situation!!! glad she was ok and noone else got hurt!

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 09:50 PM

that makes sense.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 10:05 PM

i thought when u pull the shut on fuel car it kill the fuel as well i could worng maybe the kills the power
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Melanie Troxels funny car is haunted - 11/16/11 10:12 PM

Quote:

i thought when u pull the shut on fuel car it kill the fuel as well i could worng maybe the kills the power

Thats only if the burst panels on the manifold burst. that kills the fuel and deploys the chutes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums