Moparts

Screw NHRA ! Rant----

Posted By: 493_DART

Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 10:08 AM

The cabin fever has set in for me.....already!

I have to remove my MINT condition NEW belts from my car and buy new ones.

Now my mint condition helmet that has never even been bumped on anything.......is illegal.

Ive looked for days for a 3XL Snell m2005 helmet. I guess they dont exist. And no...im not buying a $300 F$#%##% n Bell or whatever helmet .

They sure stick it to us non-pro racers dont they ?

Whats next--SFI approved underwear ?? ALL RACERS MUST WEAR FLAME RETARDANT G - STRINGS IF FASTER THAN 130MPH !!

SFI G-STRINGS ARE NOW AVAILABLE AT JEGS - $89.99 AND ARE GOOD FOR 2 YEARS. (insert jokes)

i just removed my Nhra patch and im headed out to remove my sticker off my truck.

Posted By: dOoC

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 10:18 AM

CAN'T the belts be REsewn .... and a like new helmet be REcerted ?
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 12:54 PM

If you had a normal size head...Your helmet would be cheaper...
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 01:15 PM

yea, it's a little crazy with all the expense that we are required to spend. thats why i built a 10.00 car as to get out of some of the expense. everything is just so dam expensive. i just wonder if every generation before us had the same thoughts to the expense? i guess i'll keep doing it untill i just can"t afford it. i hope i don't get rained out this sunday at pomona with the two $65.00 tickets.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 01:27 PM

It's hard, not having the right head size...ordering on line sucks too cause you would be spending all your time sending em all back..

I think I'm sitting on a few pair of Simpson expensive belts..I think I will send them in for re-certification next year when I have the car ready...

sucks chasing numbers

Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 02:03 PM

HelmetCity.com

Started by racers. Saw an HJC in 3XL M2010 for 129$.
The M2010 will be good 5 years longer, so DO NOT buy a 2005.
Posted By: dennismopar73

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 02:14 PM

Come On Guys, helmet good for like 10 years?
I get a free re-cert on my belts so I get close to 6 years out set of belts
something that saves you're head $130
something that keeps you in the car $85
something that keeps from blowing your legs off $300
Being able to walk around and talk act 'normal' and type on the computer, go hunting , drag race more,
PRICELESS !!!
Posted By: racerx

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 02:59 PM

Hungrey MOFO'ers
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 03:03 PM

Quote:

Being able to walk around and talk act 'normal' and type on the computer, go hunting , drag race more,
PRICELESS !!!

I agree that there is no price on personal safety.
I disagree that belts are only good for six years.
Helmets and shields are going to work until they have been used for what they were designed for , unless they have been left in direct sunlight of stored in a chemical bath.
The policy of replacement is far more of a cash grab and far less of a consideration of how these products will perform.
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 03:30 PM

There is no good way to get around the seatbelts, they are stealing money there!

But as far as the helmet, all you have to do is have a helmet to pass tech.

That helmet dont have to fit you, just has to be in spec.

Where your normal helmet on the track. I know lots of people doing that.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 04:26 PM

Quote:

Sorry but I cant help but laugh about this one.
Leave it to Ted. Ron
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 05:06 PM

I have not checked the rules lately but may need to. So far mine per NHRA rules have only been good for 2 years at a time,2+2=4 years for mine so far. My race-car sits in the shop and is hauled in a enclosed trailer,the only time it is out in the weather is at the track. Mine will have to be replaced for the 2012 season,and in a dragster those latch lock belts just don't work for me so it's going to cost me $149-$169 for new belts. Thank You NHRA I'm sure that will cause me to be unable to make a race or two.
How many of you have Muscle-Cars from the 60's and I know they are FAST that have no roll cages not even a 6 point cage and have replaced everything but the seat belts. I know you will be the 1st to tell us a couple of hundred $$$$ every 2 years is not much to spend. How would you like to have to replace your belts every 2 years. Not bashing anyone just trying to get the point across on what its like to have to replace items on you car before they are needed. We also have to replace good helmets and have our cars recertified,diapers for our cars.

But I'm hooked if that's what it takes to keep Racing then I will do it. I'm just a wanna be Bracket Racer,but I bet all of you knew that from all my about having to spend a few $$$$ on belts.
Posted By: topside

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 05:20 PM

Another place for helmets is SafeRacer.com, that's where I got my last one and it was a good deal.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 05:28 PM

...and when this topic has come up before .... someone mentioned that the belts on FIGHTER JETS have a "life" of ... IIRC ... THREE TIMES of the mandate of the SEMA(NHRA).

And it was mentioned that these jets subject the belts to at least TWICE the G-forces that of a TF or FC.

It is just a big money-grab...
Posted By: maximum entropy

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 05:46 PM

i have absolutely no problem with the nhra. i'm not a member anymore, so their antics don't bother me in the slightest. i will have to get new belts if i want to run at my local track next year. mine are two years old now, and in a dangerous state of decline. i'm quite sure that in an accident they would fail, and i would be ejected, and killed.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 07:21 PM

Quote:

mine are two years old now, and in a dangerous state of decline.

TELL US which brand these are so we know whicj ones NOT to buy.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 07:27 PM

It's just a numbers game fellows,, the more they mandate that we buy more sfi equipment and change it out on a regular basis regardless of condition the the more numbers they see on their paycheck's, I let my membership lapse a couple of years ago.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 07:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

mine are two years old now, and in a dangerous state of decline.

TELL US which brand these are so we know whicj ones NOT to buy.

the labels are so deteriorated as to be almost illegible. i can just make out a few letters- i think they say sarcasm?
Posted By: d7cook

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 07:56 PM

When my last set of belts went out of date I moved them from the race car to the street car. The original 60's belts were pretty ratty. When I raced the 12 second street car I got dinged at tech for out of date belts. Had to take out the 2.5 year old SFI belts and put the 45 year old belts back in to be legal.
Posted By: Hemi Joe 4911

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 08:04 PM

As I have stated before,The FAA althought they would not give me all their specs, because it is so they say classified, tell me, they only demand that seat belts in commercial airliners that travel at 600 mph be replaced if, they are tore or cut. Isn't that strange, that the NHRA tech people cannot say to you that these belts appear to be frayed-cut-or wore out, so you must replace them, it must be a money thing.
I would think that the NHRA tech people, would be more concerned if your slicks had threads showing or the wear holes were gone or have you ever had an NHRA tech guy look at your front tires to see if they were cracked or wore out. I understand that it is not uncommon for the inner sides of your front tires to go away because of the intense heat from the headers.

As for the helmets, I sold a lot of helmets when we were in the snowmobile business and I once had another salesman make a statement to a customer when asked what the difference was between the $10.00 helmet vs the $200.00 helmet, his answer was a classic! He told the customer if you have a $10.00 head buy a $10.00 helmet, if you head is worth $200.00 to you, then you should buy the $200.00 helmet. I do think NHRA is fair on the helmet rules. HEMI JOE
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 08:25 PM

"When a customer when asked what the difference was between the $10.00 helmet vs the $200.00 helmet, his answer was a classic! He told the customer if you have a $10.00 head buy a $10.00 helmet, if you head is worth $200.00 to you, then you should buy the $200.00 helmet. I do think NHRA is fair on the helmet rules. HEMI JOE "

So do you have a $10 brain or a $200 brain when you throw the $200 helmet in the trash?

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 10:04 PM

Quote:

you know what ? i DO think its a conspiracy that there are NO $100 3XL snell helmets in existence !

Do helmet manufacturers believe that we Cranial Enhanced people have extra natural padding and dont need a helmet ???

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 10:58 PM

"Cranial Enhanced" LMAO, why don't you just wait for the swelling to go down?
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/10/11 11:36 PM

I've got a $400 Shoei hanging out in the garage that is 10 years old. It's never been impacted, but I don't wear it anymore because it's 10 years old.

My new Icon listed for $160, and the only thing that's bigger is the box it came in.

You guys do realize that one of the main reasons for recert is so the manufacturer can check to see if the product has been modified, don't you? Does the name Dale Earnhart ring any bells?

Does the IHRA have the same belt and helmet rules? They usually follow most everything the NHRA does anyway.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 12:48 AM

I believe helmets are good for 12 years from the snell date. Honestly, I think retiring a helmet after 10 to 12 years is a pretty good idea.

As for some of NHRA's other ideas..........

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:35 AM

Quote:

I've got a $400 Shoei hanging out in the garage that is 10 years old. It's never been impacted, but I don't wear it anymore because it's 10 years old.

My new Icon listed for $160, and the only thing that's bigger is the box it came in.

You guys do realize that one of the main reasons for recert is so the manufacturer can check to see if the product has been modified, don't you? Does the name Dale Earnhart ring any bells?

Does the IHRA have the same belt and helmet rules? They usually follow most everything the NHRA does anyway.

The belt rule came after Lee Shepards accident. [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] all you want, I'm not complaining.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:37 AM

So I can't even call my female dog what she is on here?
Posted By: j.mcconnell

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:39 AM

I'm in the market for some mint out of date belts in black....

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:45 AM

Quote:

Just took a set out of my car. Perfect condition, just out of date. PM me if you're interested.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The belt rule came after Lee Shepards accident. [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] all you want, I'm not complaining.

And we were using 2 inch belts in our cars back then.

The recert date had nothing to do with it. That was a way for the foundation put together by SEMI to fund inself. SEMI spun SFI out on it's own so it woundn't end up in court getting sued. It is nothing but a racing tax.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The recert date had nothing to do with it. That was a way for the foundation put together by SEMI to fund inself. SEMI spun SFI out on it's own so it woundn't end up in court getting sued. It is nothing but a racing tax.

Oh I know that the date thing had nothing to do with it, it just came about after that incedent. Tragic as it was, there is always going to be an update after a tragic incedent. Scott Kallita's death started the 1000 foot race. It's just the way it is...

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

I thought Shepard's belts were unhooked when he crashed?

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 03:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I know that the date thing had nothing to do with it, it just came about after that incedent. Tragic as it was, there is always going to be an update after a tragic incedent. Scott Kallita's death started the 1000 foot race. It's just the way it is...

UPDATE: Move heavy equipment off the end of the track. Do other things to hide the real reason.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 05:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

x2 ... I heard he was doing 60' shots and then tried an all-out pass ....then "that" happened.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 07:04 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

x2 ... I heard he was doing 60' shots and then tried an all-out pass ....then "that" happened.

That is what I heard also.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 10:04 AM

LOCKING TRANS DIPSTICK.......

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING.

$$$$$$$ = SPLIT BETWEEN SFI , NHRA , AND TRANS MANUFACTURERS.

WHAT A RACKET

NEXT IN 2013 = TITANIUM VALVE COVER BOLTS AND VALVE COVER DIAPERS REQUIRED ON ALL CARS 11.50 AND QUICKER

Thinking about starting an online petition regarding all this BS

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/11/11 06:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just took a set out of my car. Perfect condition, just out of date. PM me if you're interested.

i have a set also, if you need more.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 01:21 AM

I agree that the experation dates are absurd. I have a new/unused set of Ultra Shield cam locs, that will expire in May. HOWEVER. Have a track owner explain to his insurance carrier his safety equipment inspection methodology. If all he has to do, is justify dates, he's in a defined area. If he says he has his EMPLOYEE'S make judgement calls on the integrity of safety gear, in a fatality, he's screwed. Even a poorly trained chowderhead can read a date. Sad, but true.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 02:31 AM

Quote:

...and when this topic has come up before .... someone mentioned that the belts on FIGHTER JETS have a "life" of ... IIRC ... THREE TIMES of the mandate of the SEMA(NHRA).

And it was mentioned that these jets subject the belts to at least TWICE the G-forces that of a TF or FC.

The reason the airforce can do that is because the pilot can't sue the airforce if the belts fail. The NHRA does it for 1 reason; due diligence. The $$$ part is just a collateral bonus.

Kevin

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 02:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The reason the airforce can do that is because the pilot can't sue the airforce if the belts fail. The NHRA does it for 1 reason; due diligence. The $$$ part is just a collateral bonus.

Kevin

Not to mention that $125 won't come close to buying a set of belts for a fighter jet.
Posted By: Phil Saran

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 04:47 AM

My helmet expires this year. My two year old belts are expiring
and because of $$ problems the car never made it out of the garage
and now I've given up my NHRA membership too.

Time to work on the car and sit out and save money.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:12 AM

I'm all for safety, my car has been sitting for 2 yrs,
when ever I get it back on the road have to replace
everything, suck to go fast, maybe I'll slow it down
to a 10 second car But fast is fun n costly

Attached picture 6915163-ValiantCropped.jpg

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

K-Guy from SEARSandROEBUCK ....

Do you think the AF is going to cheap-out on a MULTImillion dollar airplane ?

Posted By: beezer

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:31 AM

If the 2" belts in your 15 year old street car failed and you were injured in an accident the manufacturer would be settling with you in a heartbeat so as not to be sued for everything they're worth . This in a car that sits outside in all kinds of weather. I fail to see where a 3" set of belts in a car that is outside only when it is at the track can go bad in only 2 years.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 08:31 AM

Quote:

If the 2" belts in your 15 year old street car failed and you were injured in an accident the manufacturer would be settling with you in a heartbeat so as not to be sued for everything they're worth . This in a car that sits outside in all kinds of weather. I fail to see where a 3" set of belts in a car that is outside only when it is at the track can go bad in only 2 years.

Same thing with a guy that never pulls his car out of a garage in 2 years--your new , never even worn belts are no good.

What a scam.
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 04:27 PM

Quote:

I fail to see where a 3" set of belts in a car that is outside only when it is at the track can go bad in only 2 years.

They have to make everyone follow the same rules. They have no idea who's car sits outside all year long and who's doesn't. Granted this day in age it's pretty rare to see a drag car sitting outside for any length of time but they have to assume the worst case scenarios.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I fail to see where a 3" set of belts in a car that is outside only when it is at the track can go bad in only 2 years.

They have to make everyone follow the same rules. They have no idea who's car sits outside all year but they have to assume the worst case scenarios.

No...... they don't. They have no idea how many times someone puts their safety pants and jacket through an industrial washing machine, ruining the fire retardant properties.

They have decided window nets, also exposed to the same elements, no longer expire. (except the mesh ones) They allow you to put a ten year old helmet on your head, complete with a ten year old strap that gets used just as much as your seat belts and also could be sitting outside all year.

We all know the seat belt rule is bs. They know it, we know it. But there is nothing any of us can do about it, so they will get my money and they will get yours too.

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:30 PM

ALL THIS reminds me of that guy that had that uNdefenseable position of defending HIGH PRICED rusty and locked-up 8 3/4's ...

The solution HERE ? ...to INSPECT the belts. IF they are frayed or the stitching is falling apart ...THEN get some new ones...
Posted By: daniel_depetro

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

ALL THIS reminds me of that guy that had that uNdefenseable position of defending HIGH PRICED rusty and locked-up 8 3/4's ...

$150.00 for a complete 1968-69 B-body 8-3/4" axle, leaf springs, shock plates, u-bolts w/nuts, and shackles is high priced?!?!
You really are off your rocker.
One of the axles even had brand new brake on it! The other is from an Arizona rust free 4-door.
I had two set-ups exactly like you were looking for and was willing to deliver them cheap. You wanted them for $104.00/each and then delivered for peanuts. Good luck! That explains why you are still searching for them.

P.S. Neither axle is locked up.
If you are going to bash my "high prices" all I ask is you get the facts correct.
Posted By: SLOW67

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 06:20 PM

Quote:

PRICELESS !!!

But how does a perfectly good helmet thats taken care of go bad? How does a chunk of aluminum bellhousing thats not damaged by cracks go bad? How can the air force let belts go for 8+ years in a mach 1 aircraft but a 150mph car needs NEW ones every two years?

I've never even thought about joining NHRA because there are hundreds of great heads up street classes and most of them are for the true sportsman racer

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 07:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

$150.00 for a complete 1968-69 B-body 8-3/4" axle, leaf springs, shock plates, u-bolts w/nuts, and shackles is high priced?!?!
You really are off your rocker.
One of the axles even had brand new brake on it! The other is from an Arizona rust free 4-door.
I had two set-ups exactly like you were looking for and was willing to deliver them cheap. You wanted them for $104.00/each and then delivered for peanuts. Good luck! That explains why you are still searching for them.

P.S. Neither axle is locked up.
If you are going to bash my "high prices" all I ask is you get the facts correct.

That was YOU ? ...well excuuuuuse me ..

And it was still high-priced ...vs similiar CL and eBay sales ...
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Screw NHRA ! Rant---- - 11/12/11 07:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

K-Guy from SEARSandROEBUCK ....

Do you think the AF is going to cheap-out on a MULTImillion dollar airplane ?

No more than John Force would cheap out on his belts but Force has to change his every 2 yrs and the AF doesn't. Webbing likely comes from the same place for both sets too. There can't be more than a few companies that make that stuff.

Again it's all about due diligence and the sanctioning body has NO idea how how you maintain your belts. Due diligence is to assume worst case scenario and plan/rule accordingly. Can't be successfully sued that way.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums