Moparts

Tricks of the Trade...

Posted By: F1Scamp

Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 01:54 PM

Whats some of the tricks for getting the last little bit of mph, e.t. out of your car. I am going to be shooting for the smallblock record in F.A.S.T. this weekend at MIR. I am going to need every little trick I can find. You always hear people say they have there car " Set on Kill", what the heck does that mean? I run the car out everytime. Should I be thinking of thinner oil, etc. etc. Does changing where the car goes into staging beams make a difference on et.? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Car is 71 Duster, 402cu in stroker smallblock, factory heads, intake, exhaust manifold, thermoquad. All worked.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 02:15 PM

Stage as shallow as possible. Put as much air as possible in the front tires. Synthetic lube in everything. The stock guys run less oil in the engine. I might skip that mod. Loosen up the accessory belt so it will slip at higher rpm.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 02:19 PM

904 trans if legal. 8 1/4 rear?
Posted By: 1967dartgt

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 03:09 PM

Switch on alt to turn off during run.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 05:17 PM

0w20 synthetic oil, bring a big fan to cool the engine between rounds, synthetic light weight gear oil as thin as you dare, pack ice bags with shaved ice all around the intake and carb between rounds, drop the t-bars till it is almost sitting on the bump stops (weight transfer in the 60ft and aero dynamics at the fast end), have the alighnment double checked, you want the wheels to end up with zero toe while rolling down the road, I like to spread the front of the wheels while setting the alighnment and set the toe to zero, thay seem to roll a lot easier when setting them this way, if you run the carb a tad lean to keep the plugs clean then richen it up to run it's fastest. Remove floor mats, glove box, contents, jack, spare tire, trunk mat all excess fuel (don't fill it for ballast, sloshing ballest does almost no good, if you need ballast bolt it in the trunk as close to the bumper and high as possible, if you can bolt it to the roof of the rea edge of the trunk even better), set rear drums for no drag, WD-40 on all the front end rubber bushings to loosen them up a little, make sure you leaf spring clamps are good and tight...

If I think of any more I will post em up
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 05:42 PM

Several years ago I was going to build a 71-72 TQ 340 based 904 backed Duster for F.A.S.T. but about that time they asked me to be their Tech guy so I got side-tracked and sold the car. It was a 72 Twister /6 car in really nice shape I sold to B body Bob. I was planning a 4.1 x 4.1" 433 motor using light 2.05" thin stem intake valves and my own cam specs.

Take full advantage of the Duster's long rear overhang, just 10 more static pounds added behind the bumper (like adding the 13 pound 1973 reinforcing plate) can have the same dynamic effect as putting a 40 pound battery 1 foot behind the rear axle centerline. Duster's and Chevy II wagons are the best "natural hook" cars I've ever played with.

Have the allignment shop physically jack the front end of the car approx 1-1/2" inches BEFORE setting the allignment....this will simulate the car under acceleration and decreases the rolling resistance down the track. Dynamat in floor of the spare tire well adds a few strategic pounds in just the right place as well.

Amsoil gear lube is typically worth at least ~.03 on most cars I've ever back to back tested...I like to get some heat in the rear axle by idling the drivetrain on stands in the pits for a few minutes.

If you're serious about it dyno-tune the car on a chassis dyno before the race documenting every 'cause and effect' jetting and timing change.
Posted By: 6bblRoadrunner

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 05:46 PM

Check this out...

http://www.dvorakmachine.com/tech_LastMinuteHeroics.shtml
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 05:49 PM

Get all the oils hot and thin, and the water and intake as cold as possible.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/09/11 05:56 PM

Quote:

Check this out...

"Add another 1/2 quart of oil Dan". LMAO
Posted By: topside

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 12:20 AM

An old buddy of mine, who came up through Stockers into the early Funny cars, used to dip his wheel bearings in oil as opposed to packing them with grease. He'd set everything just tight enough to go straight, suspension bushings loose but still locating their assigned parts, that kind of thing. His big thing was to minimize any rolling or moving resistance in the car. That Dvorak article is excellent, BTW.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 01:01 AM

Quote:

Switch on alt to turn off during run.

I use to do this...made 0 change if the battery is up
to full charge... use as much air pressure as you can
in ALL of the tires... thinnest oil as possible plus
1 QT low... crank scraper if allowed
Posted By: mcat4321

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 01:08 AM

take a hammer and dent the floor pan under the gas pedal, so it goes down farther
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 01:47 AM

small wheels up front, big one's on the back ... so it's always going downhill!

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 01:32 PM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. It has a 904 trans and a spool equipped rear. I wish I could put some real tires on it and it still be legal. lol. I am going to pick up some 0 weight oil, and I have a few ideas on how to cool the car down between rounds. I need to get this carb straightened out still also, a/f last time out was around 10-11:1.
I didn't realize that nitrogen is that much lighter and can make that much difference in the weight of the tires. I have a nitrogen tank and regulator at work.... 6-8 lbs of rotating weight would be nice to get off.

Keep them coming!

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 01:33 PM

Also I picked up a 16v race battery, figure it is worth a try? Anybody gain anything switching from 12v to 16v?

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 03:38 PM

Keep adding weight to the rear of the car and launch the car more aggressively. When the car slows down go to the weigh of you fastest pass. I think the 60's will improve enough to over come the cost of the extra weight.
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 03:42 PM

I only saw the request for more mph, didn't even look at e.t.
Thats the bracket guy in me,, et means nothing but a number on your windshield.
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 04:58 PM

Just turn the starting line rev limiter up
Posted By: HPMike

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 11:49 PM

Brian

I can get you two tenths. No tools needed. FAST legal 100%. If you are interested, give me a call......

MB
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/10/11 11:56 PM

Mike, I think he is already running the FireCore 250 8mm wires.

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 12:24 AM

Bring some for me too Mike! GLUG GLUG GLUG

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 12:30 AM

Quote:

You going?? I'm makin the trip..

MB
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 12:56 AM

fart in the other drivers helmet

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 12:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You going?? I'm makin the trip..

MB

Yep, I'm starting to feel better and so is the T/A. So I'm looking to take a pop at that 11.44 as well

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post6910408
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 01:08 AM

Quote:

Check this out...

that was great.

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 02:07 AM

Quote:

Brian

I can get you two tenths. No tools needed. FAST legal 100%. If you are interested, give me a call......

MB

You messing with me Mike? I only have your shop number..
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 02:39 AM

have you tried putting an ignition retard module in it? retard the ignition timing 2*-3* after it shifts into high gear..

cheapst
Posted By: Rapid340

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 02:53 AM

Hope both you guys do well. Have fun and be safe.

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 03:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian

MB

You messing with me Mike? I only have your shop number..

Nope, I'm serious

Leave the carb tune alone and call me tomorrow if you want..

MB
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 03:53 AM

Quote:

fart in the other drivers helmet

Pack the front wheel bearings with STP. You'll have so little friction the wheels will turn for 5 minutes after you park the car.

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/11/11 02:09 PM

Quote:

Hope both you guys do well. Have fun and be safe.

Thanks Jeff

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/23/11 01:21 AM

Well did anything here help the cause?

Re: Tricks of the Trade... - 11/23/11 01:57 AM

The 0w oil didn't do anything but freak me out going down the track.
The 16v battery was worth something. I am assuming the alternator not working had something to do with it, though it seems to even idle better.
My homemade vacuum pump was worth something.
Tuning the carb was worth something.
Staging shallow made a huge difference.
Making the rear brakes stop dragging I am sure helped. Lowered the front and rear of the car over 1 1/2". Took the suspension apart and re-greased everything, Re-did the alignment. Still couldnt launch the car higher than 1100rpm.
Overall the car picked up almost a full 2 tenths and 2mph over its previous best. 60' stayed the same at it's best 1.68. This is the best air and track the car was ever run in, was great air, I think right at sea level, best previous was 1200ft. I think I picked up more than most of the guys?
On an interesting note, the car picks up an even amount .1 in the 60' equalled exactly .1 in the quarter.
© 2024 Moparts Forums