Moparts

What hood scoop for my car?

Posted By: 408strokerdart

What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 04:26 PM

I feel I am loosing some (possibly alot) et with my 6 pak scoop. My carb is very close (about 1") to the hood. I am going to go to a modern aero type scoop.....I know, I really don't like it either. What style would look best on my car? I don't see many Darts with them so I thought I would ask.
Posted By: SCATPACK 1

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 04:34 PM

Is your carb sealed to the hood you now have?
Just a thought.
The SSAH cars I have looked at all have the carbs about 1 inch from the top of the scoop. You may not be losing as much as you think.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 04:44 PM

Find a photo of Kens (strokerpost) old Dart.

I have one.

Attached picture 6892328-IMG_0975.JPG
Posted By: justinp61

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 04:45 PM

Another.

Attached picture 6892330-IMG_0976.JPG
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:09 PM

The S/S guys don't have a choice of hood scoop's.The reason they do not seal carbs to the scoop (I asked Joe Teuton @ The Southern Nationals this year)they needed some things like clutchless trans. and a few other things and in return they had to give up some things,and sealing the carbs. to the scoop was one of them.

I found out a few years ago,if makes a different on not just sealing your carbs. to the scoop but getting the scoop where it needs to be to get the cleanest air. Just remember to richen up your carb as well or you may not seen a gain.

PS I think the body style determines more of which scoop you need to use.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:16 PM

cowls look good on Darts

Attached picture 6892381-photo1.JPG
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:18 PM

in the short term get Carb hat. on the carb..
it will "Coanda" the air into the venturi
cheapst

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coand%C4%83_effect

http://www.sciencetoymaker.org/balloon/links.html

Attached picture 6892382-7194_35.jpg
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:29 PM

Probably end with with a HEMI and a screw blower, but for now I have this so I can see where I'm going on the street with the little engine.

Attached picture 6892399-jimmydart001.JPG
Posted By: 383man

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:37 PM

Thats a bummer as I think your car looks great with the 6pk scoop. Ron
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 05:45 PM

sombody makes an enlarged-raised 6pack scoop i googled it cant find..
chepast

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 06:10 PM

Quote:

sombody makes an enlarged-raised 6pack scoop i googled it cant find..
chepast

a 5" Hemi scoop would look muuuuuch better. Especially on 67-69 darts.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:34 PM

Brian check out aar they make a nice cowl for the darts,if they dont have any in stock,go to glasstek.Look at all the nice darts on this site bigtimes and so on, cowl's the way to go.However u will need an AIRPAN i made mine out of a baking trey

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:34 PM

Quote:

Is your carb sealed to the hood you now have?
Just a thought.
The SSAH cars I have looked at all have the carbs about 1 inch from the top of the scoop. You may not be losing as much as you think.

My scoop is sealed to the carb. I have seen the SS/AH cars and they are real close also. They are limited by what they have to run though. I bet they would all tell you it would be quicker if it wasnt so close. They have probably all found that added plenum is worth more than the close carb/scoop hurts them.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:35 PM

Quote:

cowls look good on Darts

FYI, If there is ever a cowl scoop on my car please report it.....it is stolen.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:37 PM

Quote:

Probably end with with a HEMI and a screw blower, but for now I have this so I can see where I'm going on the street with the little engine.

That looks pretty nice Jim. What style is that one?

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks Ron, I'm not overly excited about it either, but in the name of progress it has to be done. Six pak isn't going to get it done when it has two 1250's sitting on a sheet metal tunnel ram with 640 cid under it. Would rather do it once.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That looks pretty nice Jim. What style is that one?

It's the shortest aero that Glasstek sells, I believe.
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:47 PM

This is the one I like on that car too. I just happen to be selling one BTW...lol

Attached picture 6892648-HarwScoop.JPG
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 08:50 PM

Well then, mine is different. It was the biggest windshield length Harwood. It's on my local CL now for $175.
Posted By: fishy340

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/28/11 11:28 PM

um did u say 640ci,does that mean what u have is gonna be for sale?..let me know im ready to pull the trigger on buying a new sb,very very soon.
Posted By: G-Money1320

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 12:36 AM

Hey Brian, why not just go to a bigger style like the Hemi Darts had? It would give you more clearance and im assuming more air,still look factory and you could seal it to the carb. It sucks you have to make a change and try to match the paint.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 03:17 AM

Quote:

um did u say 640ci,does that mean what u have is gonna be for sale?..let me know im ready to pull the trigger on buying a new sb,very very soon.

Not going up for sale soon. Going to take a long time to get the KB block and get the rest of the parts rounded up.
Posted By: Gumbydammit

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 01:30 PM

I'm partial to the pro-stock style scoop that is a bit more squared off to fit the lines of a Dart.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 02:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks Ron, I'm not overly excited about it either, but in the name of progress it has to be done. Six pak isn't going to get it done when it has two 1250's sitting on a sheet metal tunnel ram with 640 cid under it. Would rather do it once.

Still vote for the 5" Hemi scoop. Do you have to run the Aero style?
Posted By: A/MP

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 03:32 PM

A 60's and 70's style scoop works with what what you have. An aero scoop is for modern Pro Stock car. Yes it can look cool but look at these facts... An aero scoop weighs 10- 20 lbs more than a 6 pack, any scoop becomes effective at 150MPH, an aero scoop and all of it's brothers use HP to make HP. It is estimated that they use 65HP to make the gains that they get. Paint your hood top and bottom and the scoop white. That will cool the air charge that comes into the carb. That will make more HP than an aero scoop. Try this on for size 360 w/ 1.88 J heads purple stripe cam good gear and converter and attention to the details with a '65 hemt scoop 10.29 @ 138 in good weather. If you want to do the salt than that aero can help.
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 03:36 PM

Attached picture 6893704-atco9.jpg
Posted By: B1KILLER

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 03:37 PM

another

Attached picture 6893708-atco11.jpg
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 05:14 PM

Quote:

Paint your hood top and bottom and the scoop white. That will cool the air charge that comes into the carb. That will make more HP than an aero scoop.

WTH does the paint color have to do with the air going into the carb?

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 09:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paint your hood top and bottom and the scoop white. That will cool the air charge that comes into the carb. That will make more HP than an aero scoop.

WTH does the paint color have to do with the air going into the carb?

I would think little to none. I guess the air temp from a white or liight colored hood vs a flat black hood would be no more than a few degrees?? It's not pulling air off the hood.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/29/11 11:16 PM

Quote:

I'm partial to the pro-stock style scoop that is a bit more squared off to fit the lines of a Dart.

I agree it would probably look better with something that has more squared off features since the Dart lines are boxy. I am looking at everything at this point. Haven't really ruled anything out yet.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/30/11 12:36 AM

I am looking at everything at this point. Haven't really ruled anything out yet.

Except for the god forbid gm cowl hood BTW i've been 137mph in the 1/8th without carb sealed to hood and no issues with my gm hood

Attached picture 6894305-silverfish347.JPG
Posted By: RV2

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/30/11 01:20 AM

Get a taller six pack hood or go hemi scoop
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/30/11 02:57 AM

Im partial to this one for the boxier cars..
Posted By: Chris Vanover

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/30/11 06:44 PM

Millennium scoop by Jerry Bickle
Posted By: A/MP

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/31/11 05:59 AM

Obviously not many readers understood what I had posted.. REAL CLEAR unless you are going 150+ that scoop is not providing you with any real HP. IF YOU HAVE A COOLER AIR CHARGE FROM THE AIR TEMP OF THE DAY YOU ARE HELPING YOURSELF TO SOME FREE HP. THINK OF THIS ....YOU WAIT IN THE STAGING LANES FOR PROBABLY 15-30mins. The sun beats down on your hood to the point that you can't comfortably keep your hand on it. Now add the temp increase that the engine creates as the motor runs while you do your burnout and stage. The air temp in the engine compartment is over 170+. Your scoop and hood temps are about 120+. The white paint(gloss)on both sides of the hood will reduce the those temps by minimum 10 o/o. Thats free HP> Enough to get you slightly more than you have. Case in point '65 SS Hemi w/factory scoop 9.01 9.03, 9.01. Same car, same day just 3 hrs. later, no scoop w/white hood 9.02, 9.03,9.03.
Posted By: therocks

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/31/11 11:48 AM

340 Shorty that looks kinf of like the one on my 65.Mine sits back further where the hole is though.I bought mine back in like 72.Ill have to see if I can get a pic posted of it.Its been to 120 quite a bit and no problems.Rocky

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/31/11 12:22 PM

Quote:

Obviously not many readers understood what I had posted.. REAL CLEAR unless you are going 150+ that scoop is not providing you with any real HP. IF YOU HAVE A COOLER AIR CHARGE FROM THE AIR TEMP OF THE DAY YOU ARE HELPING YOURSELF TO SOME FREE HP. THINK OF THIS ....YOU WAIT IN THE STAGING LANES FOR PROBABLY 15-30mins. The sun beats down on your hood to the point that you can't comfortably keep your hand on it. Now add the temp increase that the engine creates as the motor runs while you do your burnout and stage. The air temp in the engine compartment is over 170+. Your scoop and hood temps are about 120+. The white paint(gloss)on both sides of the hood will reduce the those temps by minimum 10 o/o. Thats free HP> Enough to get you slightly more than you have. Case in point '65 SS Hemi w/factory scoop 9.01 9.03, 9.01. Same car, same day just 3 hrs. later, no scoop w/white hood 9.02, 9.03,9.03.

What are you saying here? I still don't see how a white hood is going to help your et. If it did every NASCAR and NHRA prostock car would have a white hood. Same with painting the under side white. How is that going to effect anything, it's dark under there. I argee that the sun beating down on a dark hood makes it hotter than a light hood but I don't think it's going to change your et much. You'd need to do back to back tests with the same car, dark hood vs white hood. Your car above ran consistant 9.0's w/o much change w/ both hoods. Now if you're saying his scoop isn't functional I'll agree it's probably not as effective as a "pro-style" scoop...I'll buy that.
Posted By: Chris Vanover

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 10/31/11 11:04 PM

if he cant run 150+ with a 640in motor then he has other issues...

CV- Thinkin that the sheet metal intake and twin dominators isn't going to fit under a factory scoop very well

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 04:51 PM

Bringing this back up because I will be doing this very soon....in the next few weeks. What about mounting the scoop? I know most people bond them (glass them) to the hood, but what about pro stock style with the scoop mounted to the engine/carb and just sliding the hood in around the scoop? I ask because the scoop will extend to the windshield over the cowl and the motor is in the stock location. Plus I could do most of the maintenance I need to do without removing the scoop. Any opinions on this? What are the pros/cons of mounting either way?

My thought is that I would position and trim the scoop and then make a new flange that the hood would rest and dzus to. This way I can get the desired "look" of the scoop and still have something that isnt going anywhere.
Posted By: 383man

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:01 PM

What about the old Snorkle (Pro Stock) scoop from the early to mid 70's era ? Ron
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:08 PM

Brian the only down side to mounting the scoop to the carb/car is you may have to have 2 people to take the hood off. If you always have someone go racing or to help work on the car then go for it

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:11 PM

Quote:

What about the old Snorkle (Pro Stock) scoop from the early to mid 70's era ? Ron

A little to old school for my taste. I like it, but don't want my car to look like a "dated" race car. I like the 6 pak, but I just need something more functional at this point. Believe me, if I could go with turbos and a flat hood and still bracket race that is what I would do.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:14 PM

Quote:

Brian the only down side to mounting the scoop to the carb/car is you may have to have 2 people to take the hood off. If you always have someone go racing or to help work on the car then go for it

I rarely have someone that can assist with the hood. Maybe I could look at one that has some taper from the top to bottom that would make it easier to remove solo. Should be lighter without the scoop also (making one person removal easier)??
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:16 PM

I am going to sale this scoop when I get the blower motor built. It is 1 1/2 inches taller than stock and bolts on with stainless hardware. If you are interested I will take 250 for it. I assure you it will get air in the carb.

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 05:24 PM

I am going through the same thought process now myself. Whether or not to make the hood scoop bolt to the carbs or not. With my engine being in the stock location meaning it is still offset it will make it pretty much useless to seal the scoop. My carbs are sitting against the edge of the current scoop now. Also the current set up is trapping a lot of air and the hood really is not happy at 160+ this way. To go to anything bigger in my opinion would look ridiculous. We are considering grafting a cowl to the cuurent hood and scoop as well and if we do that it pretty mcuh will keep me from being able to seperate the scoop from the hood. It is about the only badywork we have left to do before we paint the car.

IMO making the scoop and hood seperate really is ythe best way. You can seal the carb(s)to the scoop this way as well. easy enough to build a perimter frame for the scoop fastened to the engine. Only real issue I ever had doing this was getting all the pieces to line up IF you have the scoop and hood dzus to the saem holes. IMO using seperate fasteners to hold the scoop to the frame and then in turn the hood to the frame will make life easier.
Posted By: ChrgrCuda

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I see you have made a decision regarding your next bullet?

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I see you have made a decision regarding your next bullet?

Long term build......quicker if contract side work comes in.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 09:28 PM

Quote:

I am going to sale this scoop when I get the blower motor built. It is 1 1/2 inches taller than stock and bolts on with stainless hardware. If you are interested I will take 250 for it. I assure you it will get air in the carb.

I dont think A sheetmetal tunnel ram and 2 1250's are going to fit under it on A big block! I really like your car!
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 09:30 PM

I think it needs a 99 Hemi

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/06/12 09:46 PM

Quote:

I think it needs a 99 Hemi

That would be sweet in my car....and the price is right. I can't believe you haven't sold it yet!

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 01:04 AM

Quote:

Bringing this back up because I will be doing this very soon....in the next few weeks. What about mounting the scoop? I know most people bond them (glass them) to the hood, but what about pro stock style with the scoop mounted to the engine/carb and just sliding the hood in around the scoop? I ask because the scoop will extend to the windshield over the cowl and the motor is in the stock location. Plus I could do most of the maintenance I need to do without removing the scoop. Any opinions on this? What are the pros/cons of mounting either way?

My thought is that I would position and trim the scoop and then make a new flange that the hood would rest and dzus to. This way I can get the desired "look" of the scoop and still have something that isnt going anywhere.

My scoop is mounted seperate from the hood. The back of the scoop is over the cowl to the base of the windshield.
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 02:27 AM

Here's mine...Carbon Fiber Bickle and for sale..Only if you take the whole car lol!

Attached picture 7005052-silverfish34.JPG

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

My scoop is mounted seperate from the hood. The back of the scoop is over the cowl to the base of the windshield.

I guess I need to take a look at yours again...I didn't realize it was seperate from the hood.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 02:51 AM

Quote:

Here's mine...Carbon Fiber Bickle and for sale..Only if you take the whole car lol!

Just like that....I found a Bickel scoop that I like also.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 03:32 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Bickel has some nice scoops.....

The NHRA Millennium 02 will probably be my next scoop if I switch to a sheetmetal and dominators.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 03:35 AM

I guess I need to take a look at yours again...I didn't realize it was seperate from the hood.

In the pic I posted, the scoop is just sitting on the hood and not yet mounted.
Posted By: cesar perez

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 03:55 AM

go to show cars fiberglass and go to hood scoop there is a aar hood scoop that u will love the front is aar and goes back like a crowl it looks like the scoops on ram, trucks but larger talk to rob the will custom make the height of scoop
Posted By: 00snake530

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 04:00 AM

Quote:

who made this scoop? need one for my 67 sat that's going from 6-71 to procharger

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The NHRA Millennium 02 will probably be my next scoop if I switch to a sheetmetal and dominators.

I like that one also, but am looking at the aero slim line scoop with some mods. I think almost every scoop needs to be cut and modified to look right on each car.

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/07/12 05:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like that one also, but am looking at the aero slim line scoop with some mods. I think almost every scoop needs to be cut and modified to look right on each car.

I agree....
Posted By: 67HEMI

Re: What hood scoop for my car? - 01/08/12 03:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

who made this scoop? need one for my 67 sat that's going from 6-71 to procharger

A friend of mine added 1 1/2 inches with fiberglass. Mine is for sale. I am going to a 8-71.
© 2024 Moparts Forums