Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 01:52 AM

Dang gone that could of been real bad !
Posted By: BloFish

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 07:08 AM

That's one lucky s.o.b.
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 12:41 PM

Good Read Fred.

I cant tell you how many times ive seen guys strattle the blower belt and stab the hat..
or wack on it with people and children standing real REAL close...
Ive often said to myself..thats gonna hurt if it goes boom.
Its dangerous no matter...BUT ITS STILL FUN

ive always explained to my kids not to stand anywhere between the front tires and the door on a car that is stageing or a car that is reving the motor..
Ive always explained to stay out of the shrapnel zone..(ie-trans/clutch explosion or Rod/blower/drive belt/fan explosion)
cheapst
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 04:19 PM

I wouldn't let the guy in the black shirt slap my motor anymore. He's bad luck.

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 06:06 PM

im gonna go out on a limb..but there must have been something loose in that hat or barrel valve..
the guy tapped the valve and it blew..
like it sucked a nut or washer or something..
.just smacked his hand on the barrel valve?...and boom...
it ate something that wasnt screwed or tightned..
hell who knows..?
fwiw.
chepast
Posted By: blown572dart

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 06:11 PM

OUCH
Posted By: topside

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 07:09 PM

There's another video showing a guy, sitting in a lawn chair not 3 feet from the left side of the motor, taking photos as it's running. If he was still sitting there when the thing popped, that's probably a brown chair now...
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 07:10 PM

Lucky there wasnt a big o NITRO fire ball there..

Not good.

Kasey
Posted By: nhramark

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 07:29 PM

It's amazing how many things go wrong at these cacklefests. At the NHRR in Bowling Green a few years ago one of the nitro cars took off while it was idling and pinned a guy in a wheelchair against the wall.

At a recent event in CA a cacklefest dragster had the throttle stick during the parade (on the return road) and crashed at least 2 other cars before getting it shut down. Bad news......
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 08:07 PM

Quote:

OUCH

It must be bad if Jimmy says "OUCH"
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 08:10 PM

I thought I heard something strange down that way. It wasn't too far from our Justice Brothers display of Chrisman cars.

Here's a pic of it earlier that day...

Attached picture 6892605-PICT0009.JPG
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 08:17 PM

I watched the cacklefest live on bangshift. You have to figure these are smart guys, but the way they lined them up on the track looked like a traffic jamb and all of them were hooked up (driveshaft in). All it would take is one hot sticky clutch....
I sure hope this isn't sanitized for our protection, but they need to take a bit better precautions.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 08:44 PM

Looking at the video did the first guy place a bottle(maybe full of gas) on top of the hat and the second guy knock it over? If so did that cause the boom?
Posted By: topside

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 10:28 PM

The clutches & driveshafts are in them so they can be push-started, which is part of the show for us old guys that remember that.
Nitro cars are just plain deadly, and they'll punish a casual attitude toward them. That zone extends quite a distance away from the car. That's part of their appeal.
Posted By: Clanton

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/28/11 10:38 PM

Quote:

Looking at the video did the first guy place a bottle(maybe full of gas) on top of the hat and the second guy knock it over? If so did that cause the boom?

to me it looked like he leaned on the hat causing an air leak that leaned the engine causing the backfire.
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/29/11 12:23 AM

Quote:

The clutches & driveshafts are in them so they can be push-started, which is part of the show for us old guys that remember that.
Nitro cars are just plain deadly, and they'll punish a casual attitude toward them. That zone extends quite a distance away from the car. That's part of their appeal.

I understand it completely, and enjoy it!
They fired off the ridge route terrors car without driver (and drivetrain). Beautiful tribute. Brought a tear to my eye.
http://cacklefest.com/WCM.shtml

I just hope that they tighten up stuff a bit before the bad stuff happens.
During the fest, they had some cars 2 deep, side-to-side almost tire to tire. It could be bad enough if one slips into the K rail, but that was a 3-4 car tangle waiting to happen. I know the turning radius is to blame, and dealing with these legends and owners is probably worse than herding cats.
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/29/11 02:02 AM

MAn, I think Mike Roth had a blue one like that. Maybe his was orange/red. I can't believe they raced those things sitting on te 8 3/4 rear !!
Posted By: RemCharger

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 10/29/11 07:48 AM

Quote:

. I know the turning radius is to blame, and dealing with these legends and owners is probably worse than herding cats.

Thats super-funny. old racers...

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/07/11 04:15 PM

IM still in my 40s and the CRS is getting bad...
with all the distractions going on....
its easy to see how a mistake could be made.

you mess with the bull you get the horns with it.
that goes for people who stand close to them..lol..
I agree the danger will always be part of the appeal...
Im not one for a nanny state..so i guess one accepts the risks..
chepast
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/07/11 05:22 PM

Why aren't the drive wheels off the ground???

And those guys kneeling in front of the car don't have a clue either!
Posted By: Belvedere1

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 01:57 AM

Are those guys from Phoenix? I could have sworn they have been to the Pavilions a couple times recently.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 02:52 AM

I for one don't understand the whole cackle-fest thing. If you are going to showem, showem. If you are gonna firem, then runem. Playing with "time-bombs" ( they never were toys )is gonna get someone hurt. Just a matter of time.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 03:12 AM

Quote:

Why aren't the drive wheels off the ground???

And those guys kneeling in front of the car don't have clue either!

That was the first thng I thought too.

Very lucky someone didn't get killed.

And yet people whine about the NHRA and all their silly safety rules.
Posted By: nhramark

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 05:43 AM

Quote:

That was the first thng I thought too.

Very lucky someone didn't get killed.

And yet people whine about the NHRA and all their silly safety rules.

Problem with NHRA is they are so inconsistant with their safety rules. For sportsman racers there is no fee, inspection, registration, or expiration date they hesitate to impose.

But they will allow seemingly unlimited numbers of crew, family, sponsors kids, etc., on the starting line while the pro cars are up there. They allow a crew member to stand directly in front of a pro stock car DURING the burnout. (As if a pro stock driver couldn't possibly do a burnout without a person to "aim" at.)

How about funny car crew guys with their arms up in the wheel well while the car is MOVING up to the beams. One accidental blip of the throttle and there could be 4 arms laying on the starting line. And of course the unbelievable amount of people allowed in front of and near these cacklefest cars while they are running.

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 02:30 PM

Just a FYI or IMHO..

Tell/teach your children and anyone else you love about dangers..

I never let my kids or anyone i love stand next to or in line with any car at the clutch flywheel transmission area..

Ive mention'd it many times..Our old track used to allow fans to stand outside trackguardrail..
but inside the track fence from the stands..
you could stand right inline with the car when it would wind up and launch...

if a clutch part or flywheel part let go or a rod on the big motors...or blower belt ...
anyone standing there would be in the line of fire.
I never let my kids in that area of a running race car...fwiw
cheapst

ps. if you standing in the lanes..behind cars leaving the line...take a look to find the location of each cars kill switches whilst your standing there.... in the event of a catostophic failure..youll be able to quickly respond.
Ive been that guy many times..a few times it saved the guys ride and or hyde.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: famoso cackle fest gone wrong10/22/11 KABOOM - 11/08/11 04:21 PM

Quote:

Just a FYI or IMHO..

Tell/teach your children and anyone else you love about dangers..

I never let my kids or anyone i love stand next to or in line with any car at the clutch flywheel transmission area..

Ive mention'd it many times..Our old track used to allow fans to stand outside trackguardrail..
but inside the track fence from the stands..
you could stand right inline with the car when it would wind up and launch...

if a clutch part or flywheel part let go or a rod on the big motors...or blower belt ...
anyone standing there would be in the line of fire.
I never let my kids in that area of a running race car...fwiw
cheapst

ps. if you standing in the lanes..behind cars leaving the line...take a look to find the location of each cars kill switches whilst your standing there.... in the event of a catostophic failure..youll be able to quickly respond.
Ive been that guy many times..a few times it saved the guys ride and or hyde.

Good stuff, even though there is a lot less starting line explosions these days as compared to the 60's - 7-'s.
© 2024 Moparts Forums