Moparts

Horsepower gains

Posted By: fasthawk6

Horsepower gains - 10/25/11 09:57 PM

I have heard rumors of Hp gains going to a titiaum valve train and roller cam bearings. Is this true and how much would someone expect to gain.

Attached picture 6888172-dart.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/25/11 10:35 PM

Somewhere around the 1000 hp mark you'll probably need to start using stuff like that.

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/25/11 10:55 PM

The motor is a 436 on a 325 shot of nos and runs 5.40s at 130mph at 3100lbs. The promblem is you have to run a factory valve angle head in the class he runs and was told by a TEA { i think it was them } he would pick up about 70 hp. I never beleive what i am told by sales people so i thought i could get some good answers here.

Attached picture 6888233-dart.jpg
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/25/11 11:21 PM

Not buying 70HP

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/25/11 11:32 PM

Quote:

Not buying 70HP

Thats what i think so i am hopping some engine builders will respond.

Attached picture 6888312-dart.jpg
Posted By: Diablo

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/26/11 12:11 AM

The cam bearings might give you nothing. The way I see the Ti valves is you don't gain anything from them but if you don't have them you are losing something. Maybe not power but valve train stability.

Certainly not worth the $$ spent.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/26/11 02:38 PM

The potential HP is primarily from the reduced mass allowing the motor to rev higher....but that is provided you have the airflow in your heads and cam for the motor to take advantage of it. Putting it another way, is valvetrain mass the main limiting factor now that's holding your combo back? Or is it airflow?

The Valvetrain itself doesn't give you very much within the original powerband RPM range....other than the reduction of mass, similar to the beneficial effects of a lighter bobweight. so providing proportionally higher head flow and cam is the key, so on a motor like yours raising the powerband to peak 500-600 rpm higher could easily be 70hp. The next question would be if your block can withstand the additional power and heat of the higher Peak torque RPM.

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/26/11 07:26 PM

Yes the heads a getting switched and block is aftermarket and also a cam change. I was just trying to figure out if what they said is true. Now he will have to figure out if the cost is worth or not.70 hp is a pretty good pickup while still using a factory valve angle head after all other work is done.

Attached picture 6889575-dart.jpg
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/26/11 07:45 PM

The cost is very high for what you plan on doing. That type of thing is Pro Stock/Comp type stuff. Some of the high end Super Stock guys I know are running roller cam bearings.

Re: Horsepower gains - 10/26/11 08:09 PM

Quote:

The cost is very high for what you plan on doing. That type of thing is Pro Stock/Comp type stuff. Some of the high end Super Stock guys I know are running roller cam bearings.

In the heads up classes he runs in every little bit helps.He runs in a limted 8.5 class which is jet limited and a outlaw 8.5 class.The motor is just about tapped out now so looking for some hp in other areas. Also looking at going to a dominator carb.I know its a brand x but thats about the only way to go in these headsup classes for weight unreal 60fts for stock sups plus extra parts in case of a wreck.

Attached picture 6889628-shawn1.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums