Moparts

Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations

Posted By: Charger453

Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 02:52 AM

I'm running a solid roller in my 451. The specs are 253/263 @ .050, .610/.610 lift after lash. I believe my spring pressure is in the neigborhood of 550 lbs/in. Luckily this rocker just broke at an idle and the car was shut off immediately. What are you guys using? I need a new set of 1.60 ratio rockers. I like the sound of the Comp Pro-Magnums, but they don't offer them in a 1.60 ratio.

Attached picture 6887078-crane.jpg
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 02:54 AM

i'd skip right over the comps and go right to the Harland Sharps. worries over...
Posted By: racerx

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 02:55 AM

Had the same thing happen to me I went with Harland Sharp
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 02:59 AM

Ditto.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:00 AM

The Comps would need bronze bushings added to hold up with the spring pressure you are running. I run them and like them but over around 450 lb/.6" lift they can gall without the bushings.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:04 AM

t&d.$$$, but worth it. stay safe, seeya.

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:10 AM

So does everywhere charge $125 more for the 1.6 Harland Sharps compared to the 1.5's? Mancini, Summit and Jegs all do. Any links to sites that offer T&D or Jesel? I have no idea what $$$ those cost. Thanks!
Posted By: '72CudaRacer

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:10 AM

I have the blue Mopar Performance ones that are made by Crane. I broke one this season at just under 7000 RPM's in the lights on 1/4 mile. Mine broke at the same spot, looks identical to yours. I replaced mine with a spare on, and replaced the mangled up push rod, so far so good.

Brian Dunnigan

Attached picture 6887133-BristolDER9&10PR5-28-29-11159.JPG
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:15 AM

I dont charge $125 more for Harlands....too bad...you just missed my sale a short time ago....drop me a PM...I can help you out...

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post6776844

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:16 AM

Brian, that looks real familiar! I had a spare rocker around, slapped her on and went racing yesterday. I'm just worried it will keep happening. My car is driven on the street a decent amount.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:17 AM

Quote:

So does everywhere charge $125 more for the 1.6 Harland Sharps compared to the 1.5's? Mancini, Summit and Jegs all do. Any links to sites that offer T&D or Jesel? I have no idea what $$$ those cost. Thanks!

Call Harland direct and speak with Mike I got mine from him for less than anyone else could do.And I needed him to put together a custom set to boot.

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:26 AM

Quote:

Brian, that looks real familiar! I had a spare rocker around, slapped her on and went racing yesterday. I'm just worried it will keep happening. My car is driven on the street a decent amount.

I'm not 100% sure on the cause of my broken rocker (I don't run a lot of spring pressure and a .590 solid lift cam), but I did find the valve cover gasket had sliped up and gotten "pinched" by the valve spring on that cylinder. Possibly coil bind??? Could have just been the rocker failed.

Brian Dunnigan

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:30 AM

Quote:

I dont charge $125 more for Harlands....too bad...you just missed my sale a short time ago....drop me a PM...I can help you out...

Todd is the man! Great guy to work with, and very knowlegable. He keeps stuff we need in stock.

Brian Dunnigan
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 04:21 AM

Quote:

i'd skip right over the comps and go right to the Harland Sharps. worries over...

Exactly, I don`t think the Cranes or Comps were designed for those pressures and that`s why I went to Harlands.............
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 04:55 AM

Quote:

Todd is great to work with. I would recommend calling him to set you up. I had some issues with my Crane rockers also and switched to Harland Sharps. Good luck.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 05:03 AM

Quote:

thats all I run now... would be the last
set of rockers you would buy
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 05:44 AM

T&D's are awesome, but cost a few pennies. Honestly I bought my Harland Sharp's from Performanceonly and have never looked back. I don't run anywhere near the lift you guys do, but still they work well for me.

Mike
Posted By: 383man

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 05:51 AM

I run a .630 lift solid flat tappet so I dont run the pressure you do but my brother does as he uses a solid roller like you. And we both run these Hughes 1.6 roller tip rockers. They have been flawless for us so far. I have only ran mine for a few months in my new 493 but he ran his all last year and this year so far with zero trouble. Ron

Posted By: Scott58

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 03:55 PM

RAS makes a very strong rocker in stainless, good if you do a lot of street use. Very expensive, though.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 04:22 PM

Quote:

You broke one, I'd expect more to follow , plus ditch those springs between them for solid spacers .
Posted By: Ian

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 04:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats all I run now... would be the last
set of rockers you would buy

the best money i have spent ,t&d all the way
Posted By: 440lebaron

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 08:41 PM

Hello,
t&d's will also break, .650 lift roller 600 lbs spring, have broken 3-4 in 250 runs, they do have a life cycle as t&d says. just broke 1 intake at lvd this past weekend. car has been sitting since may without backing off rockers??

gary
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/25/11 09:41 PM

Quote:

I have the blue Mopar Performance ones that are made by Crane. I broke one this season at just under 7000 RPM's in the lights on 1/4 mile. Mine broke at the same spot, looks identical to yours. I replaced mine with a spare on, and replaced the mangled up push rod, so far so good.

Brian Dunnigan

I am running these same blue mopar performance rockers with a solid roller cam. I hope mine dont do that. Or should I be expecting it?
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/26/11 01:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

ThumperDart
Exactly, I don`t think the Cranes or Comps were designed for those pressures and that`s why I went to Harlands.............

440lebaron:
Hello,
t&d's will also break, .650 lift roller 600 lbs spring, have broken 3-4 in 250 runs, they do have a life cycle as t&d says. just broke 1 intake at lvd this past weekend. car has been sitting since may without backing off rockers??

gary

This is disappointing. The original poster is only running 550 lbs open pressure (his estimate) and the rockers are breaking. There has to be more to it!
-number of runs
-valve float or surge
-etc. or something

Now I agree Harland Sharp or T&D are better, but at 550 lbs open that is disappointing.
And the T&D post is disappointing at 600 lbs open. These are not high pressures, IMO. But I do agree that aluminum doesn't last forever. But I know a bunch of bracket racers that put 300 passes on their cars every season; and they don't buy rockers every year.

Maybe I should just stick to the flat tappet cams and 400ish open pressure... Even the Indy rockers hold up to that ! LOL

What's Up with this????
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/26/11 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brian Dunnigan

I am running these same blue mopar performance rockers with a solid roller cam. I hope mine dont do that. Or should I be expecting it?

I have both the Crane Golds and the Mopar blues and they are not the same.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 03:08 PM

Harland sharp break too. Not sure but kicked a rod a t same time pulling motor to see if rod caused rocker or exhaust rocker breaking at 7600 caused rod??

Attached picture 6894883-Harlandsharp2.JPG

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 03:09 PM

another

Attached picture 6894885-Harlandsharp1.JPG
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 03:55 PM

I'd be willing to bet you know already why this happened. Rocker breaking, causing a rod to break? Or rod breaking, casuing a rocker to break...hmmmm..decisions...decisions....I know where I would put my money....

How bad is the rest of the damage?
Posted By: Mopar-Al

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 04:01 PM

This thread is making me nervous now. I have 230 closed 685 open on my springs. crane golds at 1.5 ratio. low .700 lift on eddy rpm heads. I planned on changing the complete top end by summer, but may end up doing it sooner.

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

This thread is making me nervous now. I have 230 closed 685 open on my springs. crane golds at 1.5 ratio. low .700 lift on eddy rpm heads. I planned on changing the complete top end by summer, but may end up doing it sooner.

I planned on waiting until next spring since the season is almost over, but Todd (Competitionwedge) gave me a sweet price so I'm getting them now. I may do a little street driving if the weather stays nice. My local track is done after today, but KCIR runs thru November according to their site, so I might try to run down there sometime. I was nervous about the Cranes and had one break. I'm not waiting any longer.

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 04:34 PM

Just pulling the motor this afternoon maybe finishing later in the week!
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/30/11 05:13 PM

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet you know already why this happened. Rocker breaking, causing a rod to break? Or rod breaking, casuing a rocker to break...hmmmm..decisions...decisions....I know where I would put my money....

How bad is the rest of the damage?

when a rod breaks and the piston goes slamming into the valves, it's a sure bet that something in the top end is going to take one heck of a hit.
we use Harland Sharps on combo's with over 875lb springs and i've never broken one. IMO they're every bit as strong as the T&D's. the only thing better would be the individual shaft Jesel set-up.

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 10/31/11 06:27 PM

Yea I fear the piston whacked the valves still working on getting it out? Or should be! :-)
Posted By: shoebox

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/04/11 05:08 AM

Quote:

RAS makes a very strong rocker in stainless, good if you do a lot of street use. Very expensive, though.

That would be fine if you could call these people and someone
Would answer the phone! They don't return calls or emails. I don't think
Anyone can get these rockers anymore! Lol. I'm sore with these folks..
Does it show? Maybe I'll get my rockers back someday.
Posted By: emarine01

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/04/11 06:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Brian Dunnigan

I have both the Crane Golds and the Mopar blues and they are not the same.

Alrighty then... which one is better....
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/04/11 07:12 PM

reading all the feedback from everyone on here tells me all rockers fail at some point in time. eariler i said have t&d's. i have 625# open. one thing i do when my ride sits for the winter, i loosen the rockers. maybe this helps rocker life??? stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: poppaj

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/04/11 09:07 PM

I feel that a 620 lift or less flat tappet is the limit for Cranes and hughes. 700 is the limit for harland sharps. Anything bigger needs paired jessel or T&D... Flimsey cheap pushrods will also cause problems. Overkill is the safe way to go when you are building a valve train. poppaj

Attached picture 6903621-IMG_1807.jpg

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/05/11 03:10 AM

Quote:

I feel that a 620 lift or less flat tappet is the limit for Cranes and hughes. 700 is the limit for harland sharps. Anything bigger needs paired jessel or T&D... Flimsey cheap pushrods will also cause problems. Overkill is the safe way to go when you are building a valve train. poppaj

Harland sharps r rated up to 900" lift ive just upgraded to a set of Smith Brothers 120 wall/3/8 push rods at the end of the season hoping to eliminate some of the flex in the drive train
Posted By: 68roadrunner

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/06/11 03:43 PM

i have broke 3 harland sharps this year for no apparent reason. these are only a season and a half old and they were off the engine over the winter.

i had the kmotion 950 springs set up properly giving me like 720 open. so i switched to a pac giving me 790 open. to see what this would do.

still broke a rocker after the spring change.

so are the rockers weak from previous harmonics or still have a problem

guess new pushrods next. have s.b. 3/8 120 wall now

Re: Crane rocker carnage pic. Need rocker recommendations - 11/06/11 03:54 PM

If u r asking me.I have no ideal maybe it's inferior metals r something maybe one of the rocker experts will chime in and answer the?..........
© 2024 Moparts Forums