Moparts

RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS?

Posted By: Labratt

RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 04:10 PM

Just wanted to know how other people cope with the stiffness..and headaches,racing after having cervical(neck)surgery? I have 4 consecutive disc fusions,3 fused in September,2010. I hate having to take pain meds...compromising my liver in the process! My wife thinks I should give up racing alltogether..even though I only get out a few times a year. I told her "No way,I'll just have to deal with it!" Any suggestions..besides giving up racing,are welcome! Thanks in advance! Randy B. BTW...I do wear a RJS neck brace.

Attached picture 6886091-MOPARSAGAINSTTHEWORLD-UBLY041.jpg
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 04:12 PM

Randy CALL ME
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 04:42 PM

I'd try a taller racing seat with somewhere to rest your helmet against on launch.
Posted By: dcr

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 05:05 PM

I have been putting off that surgery was recommended 5 yrs ago I found using a neck brace helped out a bunch.
Posted By: 383man

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 05:35 PM

Randy I know how you feel. I have been diagnosed with Fibromylagia because my joints hurt so bad and I have bad back problems along with bad knees. I had a bad car crash in 1982 and was flown to shocktrauma and had to have my knee operated on along internal bleeding and from being a tech all my life working on concrete has beat me up bad. Even yesterday at the track my knees and back hurt so bad I have to go sit down for a bit. I live on pain meds as I had to take them twice at the track yesterday. There is no way I could go racing every weekend as I hurt so bad today I have taken pain meds twice already and its only 12:30. I am like you that I only race a couple times a year. But man do I love going racing so I tolerate it as much as I can. Thats also one reason I like driving my car to the track as it kills me to try and climb under a trailer and tie a car down. I wish you the best of luck with it and wish I could help you more. Ron
Posted By: rickraw

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 05:41 PM

i had 1 disc done- sept 30, 2010. i don't have any pain or stiffness, but everyone is different. i just did a lot of neck excercies, like turnning ur neck like an owl, but u have to work up to that level gradually. head down & back too. worked for me. i think the key is to stay loosened up. good luck, stay safe, seeya.
Posted By: galen

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 05:47 PM

I'm a paraplegic with a lot of hardware. Started out with a lot of pain meds, now not much. I would be a mess if I gave up what I love to do. As mentioned before get a better seat, maybe a neck support or even a foam ring to help with the helmet weight on your neck. I use a back/kidney support and a comfortable seat. I told my wife if I quit doing what I love then I am truly done. Adapt and improvise.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 05:52 PM

Randy, as mentioned before a neck brace, lighter weight helmet if available and a taller back seat, just don't give it up
Posted By: Get-X

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 07:38 PM

Randy, another possibility is to fab up a head rest pad off of your rollbar that's adjustable.
Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 10:20 PM

Ive been doing lots of stretching before racing,,,really seems to help out....
I put a pic of my trainer,,,she's great...

Posted By: 69CHARGERMD

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 10:24 PM

Seriously,,,I do where a neck collar,,and have a high back seat.
The only other thing that might be better is a HANS device....
That would really stabilize your neck from a big twist, torque force....might consider looking into that...I have thought about it...

Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/24/11 10:24 PM

Quote:

that would straighten ya out with a mini skirt on....
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 12:55 AM

i went the other direction and quit racing. i have 2 fusions that occured naturally after losing the discs. (no surgery) trust me, you can't imagine the pain.
at the time (late 90's)i was running in the high 7's with aspirations of going faster. the racing was painful but doable. my biggest concern (and the doctors too) was in the event of a crash some bad things could happen. i'd like to keep walking so i gave it up. sometimes i miss it but most of the time i don't. i'm too busy now with the machine shop and engine building to worry about it.

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 01:31 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions,guys! I did buy a Summit race seat,which is a Pro-Car knock off. It's got a taller back than the factory bucket. Maybe Raff(P-Body)could fab up some kind of a head restraint on my roll bar,as well! I know I have to do something to limit my head and neck movement on the launch. BTW...Dougie,I'm afraid to ask,but....what's the going price on a HANS device,and helmet??? Thanks,Buddy!
Posted By: MIKES_DUSTER

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 01:34 AM

Ship me the car!!!!!!

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 01:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for all the suggestions,guys! I did buy a Summit race seat,which is a Pro-Car knock off. It's got a taller back than the factory bucket. Maybe Raff(P-Body)could fab up some kind of a head restraint on my roll bar,as well! I know I have to do something to limit my head and neck movement on the launch. BTW...Dougie,I'm afraid to ask,but....what's the going price on a HANS device,and helmet??? Thanks,Buddy!

I'm sure we can come up with something
Posted By: poppaj

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 03:11 AM

I have had 5 neck surgeries, I have 3 fusions, steel plates from C-1 to C-5 in the rear, a metal cage in the front to make more room for the spinal cord. Along with an implanted pain pump with a line to my neck to dispense meds. They told me to quit racing and working, I didn't till the 3rd operation. I did more damage and ruptured my spinal cord. If the doc's advise you to quit..Quit...The pain I have now is miserable even with all the drugs. poppaj
Posted By: emarine01

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 04:26 AM

Quote:

I have had 5 neck surgeries, I have 3 fusions, steel plates from C-1 to C-5 in the rear, a metal cage in the front to make more room for the spinal cord. Along with an implanted pain pump with a line to my neck to dispense meds. They told me to quit racing and working, I didn't till the 3rd operation. I did more damage and ruptured my spinal cord. If the doc's advise you to quit..Quit...The pain I have now is miserable even with all the drugs. poppaj

Talk to your Doc & follow his advice.... Every bodys neck problems are not the same.... Labrat is a cool user name but a bad condition.... stay safe Randy

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 04:49 AM

Quote:

Little old lady from Passadena. If you beat her she will kick your butt ! Ron

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 05:23 AM

No kiddin' Ron!..check out the GUNS on that little ole' lady! PappaJ...sounds like you went through HE** with your neck! I also have a titanium plate in the front of my fusion,to help stabilize the whole site! Like I said,I definately don't want my condition to get worse! Spinal cords are nothing to mess with! Raff and I will figure something out to limit my neck and head movement before next season! Thanks again,to ALL of you! And Mike!...the X is staying here in Memphis!...NO WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING FEES! BTW...here's an MRI..a month after the 3-level fusion,clearly showing the plate,and screws!

Attached picture 6887357-CERVICALFUSION-ONEMONTHLATER-2.jpg

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 05:30 AM

Quote:

No kiddin' Ron!..check out the GUNS on that little ole' lady! PappaJ...sounds like you went through HE** with your neck! I also have a titanium plate in the front of my fusion,to help stabilize the whole site! Like I said,I definately don't want my condition to get worse! Spinal cords are nothing to mess with! Raff and I will figure something out to limit my neck and head movement before next season! Thanks again,to ALL of you! And Mike!...the X is staying here in Memphis!...NO WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING FEES!

Damn Randy... the doc could have straightened that
out some for ya... looks like a different part of
my body

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 05:44 AM

Raff,please! NO mental pictures! Doc Elskens says the curvature in my neck is perfect!...yeah,OK Doc! Whatever you say!

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 05:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

No kiddin' Ron!..check out the GUNS on that little ole' lady! PappaJ...sounds like you went through HE** with your neck! I also have a titanium plate in the front of my fusion,to help stabilize the whole site! Like I said,I definately don't want my condition to get worse! Spinal cords are nothing to mess with! Raff and I will figure something out to limit my neck and head movement before next season! Thanks again,to ALL of you! And Mike!...the X is staying here in Memphis!...NO WORRY ABOUT SHIPPING FEES!

my body

Man do we all think alike. I was just getting ready to post the same thing Mr P. Dirty old men hot rodders. Ron
Posted By: Mr. T

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 09:44 AM

My son has been fairly successful at bracket racing Z24 Cavaliers. Maybe you should buy one of those. I don't think a stock one would snap your neck too bad.
Posted By: Dartin

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 09:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

my body

Hardware and all?

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/25/11 03:30 PM

Quote:

My son has been fairly successful at bracket racing Z24 Cavaliers. Maybe you should buy one of those. I don't think a stock one would snap your neck too bad.

Switching to a 17 second Cavalier...from a low-11 second GTX???....I don't think so! Would be MUCH easier on my neck ,though!
Posted By: oldtimer5151

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/26/11 02:08 AM

In 2009 I was involved in a wreck which my 2001 dodge truck flipped end over end 3 times ending up in a pipe and cable fence. I fractured l1,l2,l3,l7 and bulged l4 and l5. I have dragged race since 1957 and had no other hobbies.. I have now have a lot of satisfaction teaching new drivers. One more bump with the weight of the helment and it is over. Every vertedbrae grew back crooked. I went to the track [by myself] and made one pass and went home. Life is short. Us old guys that drag race and do all engine,trans,rear end,etc are like the buffalo. Try and pass what you do on, and you might be surprised how it helps.

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/26/11 03:08 AM

Thanks for the advice Wayne..I'll keep it in mind for the future!
Posted By: dragon

Re: RACING WITH CERVICAL FUSIONS? - 10/30/11 06:13 PM

I also have neck problems at 4&5 &5&6 also looking for ways to not do more damage I called HANS PERORMANCE about their new support called the sport2 which is a little more compact from them it was $600.00+ but you can get them from JEGS and summit while talking to this lady she said a neck collar can cause promblems has any one ever hear this and has any one used a Hans DEVICE and what did you think THANKS
© 2024 Moparts Forums