Moparts

bolt on hydraulic clutch kits

Posted By: sshemi

bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/21/11 08:24 PM

Im thinking about the one with hydraulic throwout bearing.
are there any true bolt ons avaliable for -68 a-body?
If so do they work?
Please educate me on them.
Pics would be great.
Posted By: topbrent

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 01:34 AM

Here are a few links on the topic:
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5268783

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442017

http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56755

Hurst Drivelines has a kit for the tremec, but it could probably be adapted to an 833.

http://www.hurst-drivelines.com/index.ph...&Itemid=141

Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 08:47 AM

heres a pic of the small block 130 tooth hyd bell.
these come in the 88-91 pickups with the OD833. this would be the cheapest wat to go hyd in the A body.a different front bearing retainer woul be needed for use of a normal 833. I run a OD833 in my 340 powered 81 shorty and love it..

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 08:57 AM

i need some feedback from someone that has used one, if they are any good please.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 01:21 PM

Quote:

i need some feedback from someone that has used one, if they are any good please.

After kicking and screaming, I finally went the totaly hydraulic route. I'll never go back.
Basically two choices on the T.O. bearing:
Timken and McLeod. Used both. Next time around I would go back to the Timken although their support is horrible. I got the impression that they were saying "we're really not Mopar guys, so..."

EDIT: I meant Tilton. Not Timken.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 01:30 PM

what clutch cylinder did you use?
Any part nr for the t/o bearing?
does anyone know the area of the piston in the t/o bearing so i can calc the needed clutch cyl area?
also what is the stock mec link ratio?

looked at the american powertrain kit and i really do not like the bracket for the clutch cyl witch they want 189$ for.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 01:34 PM

Quote:

these come in the 88-91 pickups with the OD833. this would be the cheapest wat to go hyd in the A body.a different front bearing retainer woul be needed for use of a normal 833. I run a OD833 in my 340 powered 81 shorty and love it..

i do not think i can find something like that here in sweden, besides i already have a blowproof bell.
And if i go hyd i really want the hyd t/o bearing
Posted By: ahy

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/22/11 01:56 PM

I have been running the Keisler hydraulic clutch setup on a TKO for over 5 years. I really like it and no problems to report. They advertise kits sold seperately. I know they have a kit for the TKO, not sure for the 833. It would be worth calling them.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/23/11 07:07 AM

Quote:

Oh, Shorty! That is a rare bird you have there. According to the Haynes manual it's a one year only deal on the A833: 1987. I might be reading the manual wrong, so let me know.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/23/11 01:42 PM

Quote:

what clutch cylinder did you use?

Master cylinder?
I used a late 80's - early 90's Nissan Pathfinder.
Less than 25 bucks and performs as good as a Wilwood.

Quote:

Any part nr for the t/o bearing?

Go to their websites.

Quote:

does anyone know the area of the piston in the t/o bearing so i can calc the needed clutch cyl area?

Don't over complicate this area. A master cylinder with a 3/4"+ bore will work.

Quote:

also what is the stock mec link ratio?

The instructions for clutch pedal throw come with the units. I believe they are also on their websites.

Attached picture 6884441-2011-10-23_0841.png

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 08:11 AM

Do you mean a timken or tilton t.o.b ?

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 12:52 PM

Quote:

Do you mean a timken or tilton t.o.b ?

Sorry about my brain fart. Them "T" companies all look alike.

My experience was with the TILTON 600 series. (A-833 = 61-617 Base assembly & 61-604 Hydraulic Assy) although I read that Timken has a hydraulic T.O. bearing.
http://www.tiltonracing.com/content.php?page=hydraulic2

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 01:49 PM

is that for the large retainer bolt pattern? i think i read that somewhere. I have the small pattern witch is 3,7"
Also the 61-604 says it is for a 11" clutch, and i have the 10,5" clutch.
Another option might be the 400 series witch mounts to the rear inside of the housing, altough you need to drill those holes.
I dont understand this one if you need the bearing retainer or if you can use it without?

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 04:03 PM

Quote:

is that for the large retainer bolt pattern....

I'm really not the go-to expert on this stuff. I was just sharing what I discovered through my own trial and error filled excursion into it.
If I was you, I would call tech support and pick their brains.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 05:51 PM

just got off the phone with Tilton techline.
He said the 400 series bearing is a bad idea because of the large retainer hole in the bellhousing, they are made for something like 4,6" hole and i have 4,8", i actually measured it and it would bolt up but the inner edge of the four mounting bosses would hang over the hole in the bell. Not a big problem to me but...
So i asked him if there are any other options avaliable for mopar and he said NONE.
Then why do they have the 600 series for Mopar?????????????
Im close to just stick with the stock linkage.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 06:04 PM

just got off the phone with keisler and they do NOT have a bearing for the a-833.

i think im gonna try the tilton 400 series anyway.

Attached picture 6886241-tiltontob.jpg

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/24/11 08:00 PM

just calculated that if i use the 400 series bearing with a 3/4 master cyl it will be super close to the stock mec linkage ratio meaning that i probably can use the stock pedal mount.
Posted By: toddd

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/25/11 02:33 AM

I used the Mcleod hyd t/o bearing with "NO" issues or problems.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/25/11 02:49 AM

American power train has what you need, just Google and click on mopar hydraulic clutch. I talked to these guy;s earlier this month about this set up, real easy to do, just a couple of measurements and bolt it up. Now the cost is not so easy for me, I'll stick to the old hardware.

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/25/11 07:10 AM

I think the powertrain kit is a little expensive plus i dont like their master cyl bracket.
I ordered the tilton bearing and a wilwood master cyl.
I like the idea wirh the bearing att to the bellhousing.
For The bracket for the cyl i will fab something billet.
I also ordered a master cyl for a -98 camaro thAt looks like it could work, it was ok to return if it dont work

Re: bolt on hydraulic clutch kits - 10/25/11 01:52 PM

Quote:

I used the Mcleod hyd t/o bearing with "NO" issues or problems.

Here's my story. Your mileage may vary...
I'm going to say at this point, the McLeod unit is the best unit to go with IF, IF, IF, you do the following:
Their T.O. bearing threads on to a base. You thread the bearing in and out from the base to get the gap you need between the bearing and the clutch which is ultra critical. The way it comes, as-is, from McLeod is not perfect. inthat the A-833 base is just a tad to short so you have to thread the bearing all the way out to the end which doesn't leave you many threads left. And in short time, with use, the bearing will finally spin off the remaining threads. The ultimate fix (ask me why I know) is to machine a spacer to add between the base and the bearing retainer, and to dril & tap two holes in the bearing for set screws to keep the bearing from unthreading off its base.

Yes, for a first timer, it may seen all like it's way too much hassle, but knowing what I know now, I would do it again in a heartbeat over the traditional all mechanical setup if I had to start from scratch (such as in an auto to 4 spd. conversion).

I will also add I have the luxury of having a lift and I had to drop the tranny a gazzillion times, it seems. If it's your first time and you have to do it on your back, or, you're having a shop do it that's never done it before, maybe skip the whole the thing.

But once you've completely done it, and then understand the mechanics behind it, it will all seem so easy now.
© 2024 Moparts Forums