Moparts

Winter Upgrades

Posted By: tboomer

Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 01:55 PM

Well...Looks like cold weather is coming soon. I had an absolute blast racing last weekend and the fun was back! It took the better part of a year to figure out what the car likes and learning to launch off the brake. I am quite content with it now and won't chase points next year. I really wanted to change the cylinder heads out but I can't justify spending almost 3 grand on a new pair. I also don't know how often we will race next year. So...Here is what I am planning. The car weighs 3230 without me in it and I think we can shed some pounds off by going with glass bumpers and homemade aluminum brackets. I will also just get my current heads freshened up as I think they need it..I think these ideas will be the best bang for the buck!! So...What are you guys going to do over the winter??
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 02:14 PM

I am gonna put my W-9 engine back in... I was gonna
do it this summer but I didnt... was working on the
Rampage all year... I have a chassis to finish up for
a customer then finish up the Rampage... I want to
have it done by spring so I can drive it

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 02:23 PM

Taking the car out next year,Mike? I am looking forward to the completion of the Rampage..That sure has been a fun project to watch!

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 02:32 PM

Quote:

Taking the car out next year,Mike? I am looking forward to the completion of the Rampage..That sure has been a fun project to watch!

Yeah I want to take the Rampage out in the spring..
I hope to have all the body work done but I wont paint
it till after I get most of the bugs worked out(just
in case I have to pull the engine or trans)... I wouldnt
want to scratch new paint

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 02:49 PM

Paint don't make ya go faster!! I am thinking I can get down to 3100# without giving the 64 the swiss cheese treatment!

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 03:07 PM

Quote:

Paint don't make ya go faster!! I am thinking I can get down to 3100# without giving the 64 the swiss cheese treatment!

Dont turn it into swiss cheese... but like you said...
bumpers and brackets are easy then look at the little
things... brakes if you havent changed out the stock
stuff... I always paint my cars before they hit the
road but the Rampage will be on the road first then
paint.... I'll paint certain things before but 99%
will get paint later... but the body work will be done
and I'll have sealer on it
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 03:11 PM

Going to go from 1 3/4" headers to 2", might port match the intake, up the meth/H2O injector one size... That's about it.
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 03:17 PM

I've had all kinds of problems getting my plates for my big tube Hedman headers machined so I plan to finish that and get them installed. I also plan to rework my 1050 dominator and get it installed also. The two together should put the Dart real close to 10.0 in good air. I spent all my spare cash on the motor this year so just low budget stuff this winter. I didn't race much this year. Next year I plan to race as much as possible.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:29 PM

Still waiting on my block,rods and pistons from Pettis then it`s assembly time and of course my 9.78 et. I thaught I fully ported my rpm`s but I`ve taken WAY more material out w/George pointing out the ares that will make a huge improvement then a street cruise break in w/some afr tweeking and off to the track.

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:34 PM

Hey,Good luck to you,Thumpman!! I thought of another weight loss idea..Replacing my old Accel super coil with one of Gorskis Firecore units..Can't hurt and I am thinking my coil came over on the Mayflower!!
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:37 PM

Thankxxx...........good luck to you too and as I`ve been told about shedding weight, "ounces become pounds" very quickly if you look in the right areas.

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:39 PM

Yupp!! Rick just pmed me...His Firecore coil comes in at 2.4 pounds..It is on the winter list!! Anyone know what an Accel super coil weighs?
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:47 PM

I am going to try and put glass bumpers on mine and pull the heater box and other stuff out that I dont use. It is a half way street car so I will leave the wipers. I am also going to try to get some of the back interior back in it. Possibly put a rear disc. brake setup if money allows. I was going to do a tranny with a brake but decided I better put a 60 or 9" in it befor the brake.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:50 PM

Well I have been invited to put my 63 in an indoor car show in December and I said yes so that should be fun. After that all I plan is some fine tuning on my new combo as it has already met my goals for a 10 second drive to the track street car. Ron
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 04:56 PM

Quote:

Yupp!! Rick just pmed me...His Firecore coil comes in at 2.4 pounds..It is on the winter list!! Anyone know what an Accel super coil weighs?

It didn't feel like it weighed that much

You'll love the Firecore coil

As for me, I've worked on my car way to much over the last couple years. This winter, it will get winterized and stay in the dam trailer

I have a few odds and end things that I want to get done on the 72 though.

Mostly right now I'm working on getting the garage insulated and heated so I can tinker at will.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 09:27 PM

Mines already in it's winter storage spot. Just have to jack it up, back off the rockers, and wait for winter to go by. Have not upgraded it since 2003, and have no plans to change anything now.

PS Ted, I'll be in CederFalls tomorrow...

Jeff
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 09:33 PM

well Ted...I'll be working on the 63..I should be able to finish it off or at least have it road worthy by late spring..I do have most of the parts..its been a long time coming..

also the Camaro will be getting a 5spd trans so I can cruise it just about anywhere..make it easy on the blower..

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/21/11 11:41 PM

Jeff...I put antifreeze in mine last night...Who ya coming down with?
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 02:22 AM

This summer was the first time since 1990 I didn't even drive the truck. The motor was out on the dyno waiting on parts most of the summer. I'm going to freshen it up a bit, send the convertor back to Turbo Action for restall. Other than that maybe rebuild the brakes.
How much horsepower do I need to run 9.99 at 3680lbs. and 38.5 sq.ft. of frontal area? Dave
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 02:38 AM

I had planned on building my W-5 motor and putting it in the Dart.

But now i think i am going to sell the W-5 motor and build a 3rd gen HEMI for the Dart.

I also plan on finishing the W-7 motor for the Plymouth Arrow race car.

The Arrow has gotten a great massage by Bob George.

Over the last year it got a new funny car cage,

a whole new front disc setup, a new gear in back, and other stuff.

Those boys do nice work!
Posted By: racerx

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 03:28 AM

Finally:i have paint on the car so my plans for the winter is to do small things to the interior(replace the tuff wheel,fix the driver's door window.etc).Don't what to get into anything to sereious as i'm planing to have a new garage built so there won't be alot of funds to spend.Hope next year i can lighten it up a bit and re do the halo once the garage is completed......
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 01:32 PM

Carb rebuild on my demon 1000 and poss finding the annular boosters to make it a 820 to try. Ordering the right convertor 8in and painting underside of my hood.
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 02:35 PM

Quote:

Mines already in it's winter storage spot. Just have to jack it up, back off the rockers, and wait for winter to go by. Have not upgraded it since 2003, and have no plans to change anything now.

Jeff

A few people have told me to back off the rockers but I never did last year. I just turned the engine over every once and awhile to move the rollers. Do you think it is hard on the springs also? I was thinking the other day about backing them off. Is that just standard storage procedure?
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 03:43 PM

Hopefully mine will get upgraded with a new owner. If not I might make it more street friendly. I'll have to see what way the chips fall..
Posted By: 383man

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 03:46 PM

Quote:

Hopefully mine will get upgraded with a new owner. If not I might make it more street friendly. I'll have to see what way the chips fall..

Now that would be one wild street ride. Ron
Posted By: Scamp408

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/22/11 04:15 PM

Quote:

Mine is more street friendly
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 01:04 AM

my motor is out,car is going for paint(same color) and rims are getting powder coated..as far as the engine.. my mind is always thinking..something good though!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 02:24 AM

Well I just spent the last 11 months upgrading the engine and some other stuff so unless something breaks on it's maiden passes it's not getting nothing from me.
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 02:50 AM

get the rest of my cage in, ext paint, get turbos and piping, build headers, put it all back together by march.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 06:26 AM

I'm pondering a fresh air induction system, and moving the battery to the trunk.
Posted By: Super Scamp

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 01:53 PM

This winter will be busy here at the Super Scamp garage..
1. Pull motor get 440-1 port & polish matched.
2.Work on new trailer Paint/interior new rubber floor/carpet. new alum. trim/ new diamond plate for rear door. install wench. and cabinets.
3. Hunny due list too much to list..
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 02:09 PM

would like to freshen up the motor this winter but will wait and see how overtime works out(money),I would like to at least have the heads re-done and T@D rockers installed.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Winter Upgrades - 10/23/11 06:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Jeff

A few people have told me to back off the rockers but I never did last year. I just turned the engine over every once and awhile to move the rollers. Do you think it is hard on the springs also? I was thinking the other day about backing them off. Is that just standard storage procedure?

We have always done it in the past. It's only 5 bolts per head. It's good to leave the valves seated for moisture also. Also keeps moisture out of the cylinder wall. When I pulled my heads, my buddy said don't be shocked if it has some rust on the cylinder wall after sitting 3 years. It had nothing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums