Moparts

Since people have asked....My new car...

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/15/11 04:20 AM

Well I have received a few emails and PM's about my new car. Many of you here have seen it many times on here. I bought Chris Costanza's 68 Barracuda.

Most of you know the particulars but a quick recap. It is a stock front suspension ladder bar rear car built by Phil Mandella of PMR Racecars. For those who do not know he is probably one of the best chassis builders in the country for this type of car. The chassis is very nice and look forward to putting it threw it's paces. The engine is a 498" Hemi 99 that well makes a bit of power. It is backed by a Rossler built TH210 with a 7" A1 convertor and all backed up by a 9" rear. No money was spared to build the car and frankly this is what we were wanting to do with my old Valiant when I decided to sell it and concentrate on the Cuda.

I have had the car for a few weeks. We have pretty much taken it apart and put her back together again. Just wanted to "get acquainted" with her a little better. I can tell you there is some pretty trick stuff inside a Hemi 99 for sure. We have a few gremlins to fix right now but are workign hard trying to get them fixed. We of course will continue to make changes and try and improve upon what is already a very very nice piece. I salute Chris for his vision and hopefully we can make it come true, well if the class stays around that is. We hope to make the Mopar guys proud of this little all motor Hot Street car at the Street Car Supernationals in November. Anyway just wanted to share a picture or two, sorry dont have many of it for those who have asked what's up.

Oh yeah we still have the other one as well. Unless anyone wants to trade me a Mopar Top Sportsman operation for two nice Cudas

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 04:23 AM

Yeah, but do you still have the truck...
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 04:49 AM

wow ...

I have a couple things to sell ?

Any money left ?

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:05 AM

Yep still got the truck, but we always seem to find something else to work on. The bed is off it right now as my son is moving the battery under the bed and making cut outs for the new exhaust at the back of the bed. Will make some headway over the winter. We really want to take it to the MATS..
Posted By: 383man

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:32 AM

Nice Cuda Al. I like it but I am not crazy about that scoop on it. Ron

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:42 AM

Yeah we are not to crazy about it either but the repaint will take place over the winter. It had to have something to cover up the motor. Not sure the Mopar purists are gonna like the new one much either
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:46 AM

nice !! the Hemi 99 must be awesome-- are you going to run a power adder ?

id love to see that in a 10.5 or x275 class
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 06:10 AM

Straight up 100% GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT!
2 months in Vegas...all fiscal responsibility, poof! right out the window!
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 09:41 AM

Quote:

Straight up 100% GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT!
2 months in Vegas...all fiscal responsibility, poof! right out the window!

Billy..

I have nothing negative to say about the scoop..

Chris..

Attached picture 6872178-NewBarracudaPaint(5).jpg
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/15/11 09:43 AM

nice machine Al..

use it well...
Posted By: Commando1

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/15/11 02:11 PM

I nominate this as Moparts Picture of the Month!

Posted By: dvw

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/15/11 02:12 PM

When I went to Vegas for the Nat's I had two favorite cars. Now you own them both.
Doug
Posted By: mafo

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/15/11 02:20 PM

Posted By: Get-X

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 02:48 PM

Quote:

nice !! the Hemi 99 must be awesome-- are you going to run a power adder ?

id love to see that in a 10.5 or x275 class

Hemi99 isn't legal in X275......yet.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 03:03 PM

Very nice Al!

More photos please!

Bill
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 03:17 PM

Nice ride Al one of my all time favorites

Donald
Posted By: silverfish

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 03:21 PM

I've always been impressed with that car, didn't know that it was for sale. Of course I guess I'm a little biased towards silver cudas!! Good luck with the car Al. I wish we could figure out a way to make it to the same race sometime, that would be cool.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 03:47 PM

Did Chris ever get close to getting that ride down the track under full power? Considering where he lived (no "local" track), and the power/chassis/tire combo, that has to be a monumental task. Seems I remember seeing a 9.2 something out of it on vegas livestream. It would be nice to see the planets align and that car: hook, go straight, and see what it would do.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:29 PM

Nice score!
Looks good but a cow hood would look better
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 05:33 PM

Quote:

Did Chris ever get close to getting that ride down the track under full power? Considering where he lived (no "local" track), and the power/chassis/tire combo, that has to be a monumental task. Seems I remember seeing a 9.2 something out of it on vegas livestream. It would be nice to see the planets align and that car: hook, go straight, and see what it would do.

Pretty sure it went 8.30's/40's black tracking a long ways.
Posted By: Jeepmon

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 06:07 PM

Al is one lucky SOB.. has a great wife that supports him with his hobby.. Has a great set of kids that have their heads screwed on the right way.. Has all the toys any car guy could ask for.. Lives in a beautiful house in a beautiful city and has a beautiful track to call home..

Both of his Barracudas are top notch, fast and a total work of art... and my claim to fame is one time I handed Al a wrench when he was working on one of them..
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 06:26 PM

Quote:

Both of his Barracudas are top notch, fast and a total work of art... and my claim to fame is one time I handed Al a wrench when he was working on one of them..

I once borrowed a wrench form Al, does that make me famous too

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 06:30 PM

Will the car has had issues, nothing major but I think sitting around did not help much. Chris never really had time to get it out there and flogged out. He also had an engine problem with the first 99 that was a big set back. Last time he was here it went I think 8.68 in 6000' of air. We were in the .50's last weekend in 3500' da with pathetic 1.37 60'. But we are pulling a good deal more timing out than he was for a longer period of time to keep the tires from being obliterated at the line. This is new to my son and I so baby steps ya know.

The top end miss/shake/issue is a big problem right now. The car just flat out quits pulling at about 900' mark. It acts like it is on a rev limiter and the tach is jumping all over the place when it occurs. The racepak log looks just like when the car is on the two step but it is SLOWLY gaining RPM, but just a few hundred rpm. Not sure if it is the ignition box, coil or what. It is not springs as they seem to be ok, and it pulls just fine in first and second. Just lays over in top gear. We will get it figured out, hopefully soon. The plan right now is to go throw some money at it and replace some parts I have no doubt the car will run in the low low 30's or 20's here but right now it is just potential.

Oh yeah it is still black tracking most the way. We also were having an issue spining the tires while on the wheelie bars. Have video maybe we can fiugre out how to get it to load..
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/15/11 07:22 PM

Nice car, the hood's not that bad, and I kind of like the plain silver wrapper look too.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/16/11 01:38 AM

Quote:

Nice Cuda Al. I like it but I am not crazy about that scoop on it. Ron

x2 i think a cowl will fit the bill

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/16/11 06:51 AM

Well it will have a cowl, and another scoop as well grafted together. Hopefully it will look ok. If the class stays around it will have new paint for next year. If not, we may just leave it and throw in a different motor to go have fun with.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/16/11 08:09 AM

Quote:

Al is one lucky SOB.. has a great wife that supports him with his hobby.. Has a great set of kids that have their heads screwed on the right way.. Has all the toys any car guy could ask for.. Lives in a beautiful house in a beautiful city and has a beautiful track to call home..

Well.. My Barracuda got to stay in Al's Beautiful Garage.. For 3 months..

Chris..

Attached picture 6873540-Al'sGarage.jpg

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/16/11 08:27 PM

I think the silver car would look good with a cowl hood.. just saying
Posted By: MarkKirby

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/17/11 11:24 PM

Al

You're right about Phil Mandela's quality. He is building a new stock eliminator car for me right now.....none better.
Posted By: Kenny705K

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/17/11 11:40 PM

Quote:

Well I have received a few emails and PM's about my new car. Many of you here have seen it many times on here. I bought Chris Costanza's 68 Barracuda.

Most of you know the particulars but a quick recap. It is a stock front suspension ladder bar rear car built by Phil Mandella of PMR Racecars. For those who do not know he is probably one of the best chassis builders in the country for this type of car. The chassis is very nice and look forward to putting it threw it's paces. The engine is a 498" Hemi 99 that well makes a bit of power. It is backed by a Rossler built TH210 with a 7" A1 convertor and all backed up by a 9" rear. No money was spared to build the car and frankly this is what we were wanting to do with my old Valiant when I decided to sell it and concentrate on the Cuda.

I have had the car for a few weeks. We have pretty much taken it apart and put her back together again. Just wanted to "get acquainted" with her a little better. I can tell you there is some pretty trick stuff inside a Hemi 99 for sure. We have a few gremlins to fix right now but are workign hard trying to get them fixed. We of course will continue to make changes and try and improve upon what is already a very very nice piece. I salute Chris for his vision and hopefully we can make it come true, well if the class stays around that is. We hope to make the Mopar guys proud of this little all motor Hot Street car at the Street Car Supernationals in November. Anyway just wanted to share a picture or two, sorry dont have many of it for those who have asked what's up.

Oh yeah we still have the other one as well. Unless anyone wants to trade me a Mopar Top Sportsman operation for two nice Cudas

Hey Al, nice car man! I saw you on the entry list for the SCSN and thought something was up. You said you want to trade for a Top Sportsman operation? All you have to do is throw a full chassis under that car and you are there, low 7's easy. You mentioned that you may put a different motor in it if the class doesn't work out, well if you do be sure to let me know if you want to sell the Hemi.

But, other than that good luck. I might try and go out to Vegas next month and watch the Renterias, and now you give me another mopar to check out. Good luck!

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/18/11 05:39 AM

Kenny good to hear from you. You should drag one of your cars out and do some racing. They have bracket and index classes. With your mad skills I am sure you would be a contender and kick some butt. We need all the Mopar representation we can get ya know. If you make it out come find us and say hello. And yes I would gladly trade for a quality TS operation...
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/18/11 08:36 PM

I like the low key, clean appearance of it Al
Posted By: BigDog68Dart

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/18/11 10:16 PM

Al, that car is awsum, kinda like the other one! Kay and I have a friend that wants a ride to vegas in the spring, offered tow expense, would not rule us out for Mopars at the Strip! its on my bucket list, if I pass my physical for lience renewal for next year! would love to meet you and a lot of left coasters. and of course a frindly grudge race would be icing on the cake! best of luck with both your cars!
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/18/11 11:25 PM

NICE!! hope to see ya there. It will be nice to see some mopars in the heads up classes.I'm plan to drag my stuff out there for 2 weekends of racing in Nov.

Attached picture 6877661-132825512_Nn1f9AM1_87.jpg

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 02:15 AM

David you going to be racing at the Turkey race? We will be there of course cant miss that one.

Bigdog woudl love to meet you guys. Sounds like fun lets line em up You can show us left coasters how it's done
Posted By: FASTFISH420

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 02:51 PM

Thats cool Al,I wondered what happened to that car.I hope you have fun with it
Posted By: joshking440

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/19/11 02:59 PM

Quote:

wow ...

I have a couple things to sell ?

Any money left ?

man i want that truck bad
Posted By: dragram440

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 03:17 PM

Quote:

When I went to Vegas for the Nat's I had two favorite cars. Now you own them both.
Doug

I agree! Your old car was one of my favorites on here and the high widing silver one has always got my attention.

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 05:43 PM

I still have the other Barracuda. We still race it in brackets and Super Street. Should have both at the MATS and hoping to have the truck ready too.
Posted By: HemiDart68

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 06:04 PM

I like it. First class ride like all the others. I really think it needs a hemi scoop.... just sayin
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 07:20 PM

Yep, that's my old car. I will chime in, on a bunch of the comments regarding the hood scoop. As you can see in my sig pic, (which will be deleted soon) when the car had the B-1 motor in it, which Al also bought from me , I had the taller hemi scoop, which looked way better, in my opinion. What a bunch of you are missing, is that the tunnel ram for the Pro Stocker was way too tall for the existing scoop. I thought about the cowl hood, but, to be honest, I didn't want to hear all of the crap from the Mopar purists out there, so, I, along with Phil Mandella, went with what we thought would work best. I never liked the look of the scoop, but, at the time, it was more about function than looks. My new car will certainly have a Mopar scoop.

Back to my cave.......

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/19/11 09:18 PM

Speaking from expierence a cowl hood does not work that well on those cars been there done that..I am probably going to that same scoop when I decide to go back together with mine.You have to go with what works..but I do love the cowl hoods

Attached picture 6879037-chrisfairchild.jpg
Posted By: DavidDean

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 12:11 AM

AL, I'm planning to be there both weekends. I'm trying to improve my grades and bring my A game.

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 01:50 AM

Yeah the scoop is not the best looking thing in the world I suppose but as Chris said function before form. We will be adding a cowl to the car but the current scoop, or a bigger/longer version of it will be used with it as well. Hopefully it will look ok when we are done. We plan to repaint the car over the winter after the SSCN race then see about the future of the class and what direction we go and what hood we use..I have the old Hemi scoop still and if we go a different direction it will likely be used again.

We have a bunch more new parts coming for the car now, in hopes to make it work even better. I'm not broke yet but we are doing what we can to keep the economy rolling along. Hopefully we can figure out a way to use the power it makes better. Although the new sisssy sticks wont be on the car before the next race.

I do have video, really I do. My video camera will not upload video without the ac adapter in place and it seems in the move the cord got lost. Trying to find one so we can load the video. Kinda cool seeing it on the wheelie bars smoking the tires. Not real effective but cool none the less
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 01:52 AM

i love it, im painting mine & also am having my rims powder coated blk.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 07:37 AM

Thanks for chiming in Chris.... awesome car you put together, but tempermental I'm sure. Any other car plans for you, or are you out of the game all together.

and Al.... if the timing was a few years back would you have considered Wes's Dart? I absolutely loved that car!
Posted By: BobR

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 02:50 PM

Are you going to run it in PSCA Hot Street?
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Since people have asked....My newest car... - 10/20/11 03:40 PM

Congrats on the new toy!
Posted By: HardcoreB

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 03:41 PM

That is a beautiful car and it's in good hands. Good luck and have some fun!

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 04:20 PM

Quote:

Speaking from expierence a cowl hood does not work that well on those cars been there done that..I am probably going to that same scoop when I decide to go back together with mine.You have to go with what works..but I do love the cowl hoods

Can you clarify why a cowl doesnt work well?

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 04:33 PM

Well,I have tried abunch of different air pans,blocking the cowl vents,different spacers for carb placement and nothing seemed to work well with my combo.I think the thing to do with the cowl was to run a airpan deal like the pro stock trucks ran.I have actually seen a guy do this in NSCA real street Bruce Lagory..he had a yellow 69 Barracuda.He put a short radiator in it and cut the core support out and made a system that pulls from the front..It was ugly ass heck but worked..That car ran 8.70's back 6 years ago with a B1 motor.

The cowl would always dirty up my plugs and would not run clean..The other thing with my deal was the carb was set up for maximum airflow with Q-16 fuel.It really needs the aero type scoop for maximum potential.

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 06:05 PM

J I always liked Wes's car but to answer the question probably not. I had my Valaint back then and it was basically the same type of deal. Car ran 9.0's on motor and we never did spray it but I think it woudl have run ok. I originally built it for a heads up class in Nebraska, when I moved back to Cali really had nowhere to run it.

Bob, Yep we have run it in Hot Street already and will at the SCSN race. Hopefully the class will be around next year. If not we will figure out someplace to run it.
Posted By: BobR

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 07:32 PM

Quote:

J I always liked Wes's car but to answer the question probably not. I had my Valaint back then and it was basically the same type of deal. Car ran 9.0's on motor and we never did spray it but I think it woudl have run ok. I originally built it for a heads up class in Nebraska, when I moved back to Cali really had nowhere to run it.

Bob, Yep we have run it in Hot Street already and will at the SCSN race. Hopefully the class will be around next year. If not we will figure out someplace to run it.

Great. I know that it will fly in that class once you get it sorted out.

Re: Since people have asked....My new car... - 10/20/11 08:35 PM

Bob... are you going to the SCSN race next month?
© 2024 Moparts Forums