Moparts

Glimpse of my newest aquisition

Posted By: Plumb Wired

Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:44 AM

I was a big fan of the Pro Stock Trucks and have said that I would own one someday, well today was the day. LOL

This truck was originally built by Jerry Bickel Race Cars for Bill & Chris DeSalvo (Spartacus), sponsored by South Oak Dodge. If anyone has contact info for them please PM me.

I don't know what the engine/trans will be at this point. I'm looking at several classes which will dictate what choice I make.

Mike Gray

Attached picture 6864102-DSC00858.JPG

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:46 AM

Interior Pic

Attached picture 6864105-DSC00862.JPG
Posted By: DAK512

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:47 AM

I am in LOVE!!!
Posted By: Deepockets

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:50 AM

SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:51 AM

Quote:

I am in LOVE!!!

x2
Posted By: bdaz smblk

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:51 AM

Love it Mike.I'm happy to see you got another ride.
Posted By: Dart1031

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:53 AM

Cool truck, Mike!
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 03:58 AM

mint i love them trucks,but Mike we all know how funny they look when there slow,so u gotta fill that thing with a beast of motor..best of luck

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 04:15 AM

Quote:

Kenny,
We are rebuilding Donald's Dart after the fire. This truck has been local to me since 2005 and the owner made me a deal I couldn't pass up. It probably hasn't seen 20 passes a year.

Mike
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 05:21 AM

Nice looking truck
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 05:30 AM

NICE...Gonna guess that is the ole blue truck that was near you. Sure wish I could have worked a deal out on it myself. BUt we did find something else to race recently ourselves. However that is exactly what I wanted, wanna trade for a couple of Mopars, or better yet I got just the motor for ya
Posted By: mafo

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 07:21 AM

I always wanted one of those,

now you need a 400 inch 10* w8 with a 5 speed
Posted By: POS Dakota

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 11:43 AM

whoa! It even has a nice looking interior in it.
Naturally, I'm a fan.

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:20 PM

Quote:

NICE...Gonna guess that is the ole blue truck that was near you. Sure wish I could have worked a deal out on it myself. BUt we did find something else to race recently ourselves. However that is exactly what I wanted, wanna trade for a couple of Mopars, or better yet I got just the motor for ya

Al,

Yes, it's the truck you looked at. When the previous owner purchased the truck it still had the original red/white/black paint scheme less the Spartacus & South Oak decals. He painted it blue & silver and last year had it repainted as in the pic.

What engine are you looking to sell?

Mike

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:24 PM

Quote:

We already have a Liberty in the small tire Dart we run. I don't want the clutch maintenance with the truck so it will most likely end up with a glide.

I'd really like to have 600+" all aluminum Predator motor but that will be cost prohibitive so probably another SB or 99 Hemi.

Mike
Posted By: DragDart360

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:24 PM

That's Saaweeet Now you need a bad A$$ small block stroker!
Posted By: Hitman340

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:25 PM

I have said those very words,Someday I will own a X-Pro Stock TK.I envy you.
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kenny,
We are rebuilding Donald's Dart after the fire. This truck has been local to me since 2005 and the owner made me a deal I couldn't pass up. It probably hasn't seen 20 passes a year.

Mike

What happened with the Dart??? (guess I missed that)....Is it OK????

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kenny,

Mike

What happened with the Dart??? (guess I missed that)....Is it OK????

Wayne,

We had a bad fire on Donald's car last month. There is a thread here on Moparts as well as YB with video.

Mike
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:36 PM

Nice truck,Mike!!
Posted By: Big Squeeze

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/10/11 01:37 PM

Quote:

Wayne,

We had a bad fire on Donald's car last month. There is a thread here on Moparts as well as YB with video.

Mike

DANG, that sucks, I hate to hear that....I LOVE that car.......I haven't been on here or YB a whole lot lately, been busying trying to get my hoopty race ready......
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 12:35 AM

The pictures don't do the truck justice IMO it is truly stunning to look at in person.

Donald
Posted By: Dart Racer

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 12:37 AM

Sweeeeeet!!!!

Congrats, looks like someone is going to have a bunch of fun....
Posted By: STEFF

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 12:45 AM

Very Cool Mike!!!!! You could always get a Bruno for the Liberty.
Posted By: jim sciortino

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 12:59 AM

That thing is sweet...
Posted By: LA360

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:14 AM

Nice ride Mike, I would love to see either a Hemi 99 engine between the frame rails!
Posted By: HEMIDARTS

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:20 AM

Quote:

I have said those very words,Someday I will own a X-Pro Stock TK.I envy you.

I only have 1 word for you.... JEALOUS!!!!!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:22 AM

That thing is a beaut. All them Dzus fasteners on the hood would scare me now after all the fire troubles we've seen lately tho.

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:24 AM

Thanks for all of the kind words. As most of you know I don't get to attached to cars but I think this one is a keeper.

Anyone want a deal on my 69 Dart? Needs to go now to make room at home for the truck. LOL

Mike

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:27 AM

Quote:

That thing is a beaut. All them Dzus fasteners on the hood would scare me now after all the fire troubles we've seen lately tho.

Only six dzus fasteners and the whole front end comes off. It also has a 5lb. FE-36 fire suppression system which will be upgraded to at least a 10lb. Cold Fire system.

Mike
Posted By: Randy..

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:31 AM

That's pure sex right there!
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Only six dzus fasteners and the whole front end comes off. It also has a 5lb. FE-36 fire suppression system which will be upgraded to at least a 10lb. Cold Fire system.
Mike

Good deal. I was looking at all those ones on the hood. Are you gonna spray/boost or n/a the engine you ultimately decide to run?
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 01:52 AM

Beautiful ........here's another Bickell Dakota owned by good friend John Taylor (BBC)

Rickster
Posted By: PlumCrazyCharger

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 02:09 AM

I've known Chris for a long time. My buddy Kevin at Supreme Bodywerks painted the original truck. Look up Al and Chris DeSalvo on google and you'll get a bunch of info. big racing family from Chicago. They were the Sparticus and "son" of Sparticus with an original 64 Dodge aluminum car and a 65 Plymouth. They matched raced for over 20 years with those cars. Chris's dad passed away years back and now Denny "South Oak Dodge owner" restored the 64 Dodge to factory. Incredable restoration! It's amazing how that 64 Dodge survived. I remember as a kid going to their shop on Fullerton to see Al banging the spark plugs on the aluminum fenders to gap them. Wow!

Chris is kinda back racing a 68 Cuda with a B1 running mid 8's. Back in the 80's they were some of the first guys spraying 500 plus HP and running mid 8's in the two 64's. They would wheel stand for over 500'. Was amazing to watch.

Sean
Posted By: Abodyjohn88

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 02:16 AM

i dont consider myself a truck guy, but OMG that truck is a THING OF BEAUTY!!!! looks very slippery.....why not put a r5p7 combo in it a zing it to 10 grand???
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 02:22 AM

Very nice, I like the low hood Spill the beans on the motor, is it BIG?
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 02:27 AM

Quote:

We already have a Liberty in the small tire Dart we run. I don't want the clutch maintenance with the truck so it will most likely end up with a glide.

I'd really like to have 600+" all aluminum Predator motor but that will be cost prohibitive so probably another SB or 99 Hemi.

Mike

I'll let the SB slide as long as it's a big inch one. Hemi 99 would be killer in though
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/11/11 02:50 AM

I loved that class too..we got alot of technology from those truck classes...
beautiful truck...enjoy.
chepast
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 01:17 AM

I heard Miller or Millner was running a truck but never saw it. Did he run one of his Big blocks? I had also heard he had a 99 Hemi in the truck. Like I said heard a lot about him having the truck but thought he crashed it. Never heard anymore about the deal.

Looks good, I always liked the Pro stock trucks. I may have Chris' number around hear somewhere. Unless I lost it with everything else in the move. I almost bought the truck from him. I was actually calling about his G-force tranny and bell housing he had for sale years ago and he offered up the truck.

Leon
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

I've known Chris for a long time. My buddy Kevin at Supreme Bodywerks painted the original truck. Look up Al and Chris DeSalvo on google and you'll get a bunch of info. big racing family from Chicago. They were the Sparticus and "son" of Sparticus with an original 64 Dodge aluminum car and a 65 Plymouth. They matched raced for over 20 years with those cars. Chris's dad passed away years back and now Denny "South Oak Dodge owner" restored the 64 Dodge to factory. Incredable restoration! It's amazing how that 64 Dodge survived. I remember as a kid going to their shop on Fullerton to see Al banging the spark plugs on the aluminum fenders to gap them. Wow!

Chris is kinda back racing a 68 Cuda with a B1 running mid 8's. Back in the 80's they were some of the first guys spraying 500 plus HP and running mid 8's in the two 64's. They would wheel stand for over 500'. Was amazing to watch.

Sean

and did you know who owned that 64 Dodge originally and sold it to Al DeSalvo..Pat Minick

and for those who dont know... Farkonas/Coil & Minick

the ChiTown Hustler
Posted By: gearjammerdart

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 04:15 AM

Leon, this is a different truck than the one Richard Miller had. After his wreck I think he repaired it and then sold it. It had a wedge motor in it.

Donald

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 02:08 PM

some pics

Attached picture 6867644-DeSalvo2.jpg

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 02:09 PM

Attached picture 6867646-DESalvo.jpg

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 02:35 PM

Jeff, thanks for posting those pics & the contact info. for Chris DeSalvo.

That's exactly the paint scheme, minus the contingency decals and South Oak/Spartacus lettering, that was on the truck when the previous owner aquired it. I answered an ad on RJ several years ago for the truck, I believe it was in Ohio with a SB Chevy in it. The local racer I purchased it from ran a 572" B1/Glide combo.

Like a lot of the former PS Trucks I see they cut the cowl hood and added an aero forward facing scoop. Not sure I like the look, I may order another cowl hood from Hairy Glass and try it both ways.

Thanks again for the compliments!

Mike Gray

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 05:03 PM

you're welcome Mike...I'm quite sure Chris will be excited to hear that you have the truck..
Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/12/11 05:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

I have seen a few of these (Bow-Ties) with big blocks in them. They just do not seem to work right with the extra weight out front and "low horse power" from what they were built for. There was one that bracket raced at Norwalk for a few years that ran low 9's. He sold it due to the fact he could not get it to "hook" and run the numbers. Do not know if he was clueless about setting the chassie up for the extra weight & low horse power from what the truck was built for or what, but it was a "No-Running Turd" with ET's all over the place!!!! I say small block with some tranny that will 60'some good numbers. Maybe a low first gear 904 or something with a clutch?????? Just my thoughts......
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/13/11 02:03 AM

Glad to hear it wasn't the truck I thought it was.

Those hoods on the Pro Stock trucks were very trick and worked very well.

JC Childress at Kowalski machine used to work on Ronnie Sox pit crew. He knows quite a bit about these. Give him a call.

Leon
Posted By: TheOtherDodge

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/13/11 06:19 PM

Nice truck! Ya gotta turbo it!!!
Posted By: DakFink

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/15/11 06:50 AM

Mike that is a Beautiful Truck!!! Hope mine turns out half as nice!!

For everyone else. Remember these trucks were running mid 7's all day long with 358cui and W-8 Heads all motor. Just some FYI!!!

I personally would not try going that exact route myself. Small Block shifting at 10,000rpms every pass will eat up some valve springs and other parts fast.

Turbo'd Small Block or 600+ BB with some Predators and maybe some Turbos would be my choices.

BUT always have to look at the rules for the classes at your local venues.

Posted By: DakFink

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/15/11 08:54 AM

I also now see why the Doors won't work on a factory Dakota Body.

About the only 2 pieces that will work without a lot of re-work and massaging is the tail gate and Dash.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/15/11 02:50 PM

Well Mike when the time comes to move on to the next car you know who to call
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Glimpse of my newest aquisition - 10/15/11 03:00 PM

Very nice, I hope you enjoy it.
Bill
© 2024 Moparts Forums