Moparts

Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection?

Posted By: b5 69

Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 03:33 PM

Track tech inspector says the brake line on the firewall needs to be moved to the k frame or protected somehow for my next visit to the track.This is a 14 second street car 4 speed. I know this is because I dont have scattershield. Anybody else encounter this and how did you deal with it? I would rather protect it, than move it, any suggestions? And yes eventually I would like to get a scattershield. Is the inspector going a little overboard considering my et? Any how I would like to hear any ideas on covering the brake line that have been used.
thanks, jeff
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 03:37 PM

I think it's a bit overboard....Are you using slicks?? If so I'm sure a scattershield is required.We've been racing since 1972 and both cars have the brake lines on the firewall in the factory spot and we've never been asked to move them.One car was a 4-speed w/shield.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 03:42 PM

Leave the old line in place and run another around the k frame, it will take less then an hour to do and if done right wont be noticed.
Posted By: 72chrgrally

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 03:42 PM

I've seen it passed many times but I'd rather have it run along the front, personal preference I guess.
Steve
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 03:53 PM

It may be over board but it is in the rule book. General Sec under brakes.
Quote:

Brake lines must be steel, steel braided or DOT approved flexible and routed out side the frame rail, or enclosed in a 16 inch length of 1/8 inch minimum wall steel tubing securely mounted where lines pass the flywheel bellhousing area and not routed in the drive line tunnel.

Says nothing about speed or ET being a factor either.

It is my understanding from reading this that the addition of the scatter shield will not be sufficient to meet the rules.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 04:58 PM

Yeah thats what the rules say but tons of cars wouldnt be allowed to run if enforced.Most cars have the line running on the firewall factory so they would have to boot probally 1/2 that run.Personally I wont run without a scattershield on my 4 speed.Rocky

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 05:21 PM

Agreed, maybe he's pushing the rule due to the 4spd and would probably over look it if it were an Auto.

I had mine run along in the factory location while I was going 11.0's and no one ever said a word. I only moved it after the motor upgrade and thought the car would get scrutinized more going that much faster.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 05:39 PM

First hand experience in 1964. Blew clutch in my 63 Plymouth going in to 3rd. Took out the brake line - single master system. Look Ma, no brakes . Coasted through at 79mph. Tall grass and loooong shutdown saved my butt - and car.
Posted By: b5 69

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 06:20 PM

Thanks to all who responded. I will probably do what Phil said and run it along the k Frame. When the motor comes out for an upgrade I will do the scattershield. For now with the street tires and only go to the track a few times a year, I'll just move the brake line.
thanks , jeff
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 07:25 PM

A few months ago I had my car teched at the IHRA Madis Gras Nats and the inspector followed each braided line I had in the firewall area and I lnow he couldn't help but see my brake line running across the firewall in the stock location. He didn't say anything.

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 07:29 PM

What I quoted was from the NHRA rule book.

No idea what IHRA thinks about it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 07:34 PM

I used to get hassled about that brake line on a regular basis, "OK I'll replace it" but never did.
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 07:46 PM

Depends on the track obviously but I moved the line on my 4 speed Duster just to be safe. Our local track has trees and old appliances at the end.
Posted By: Leon441

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 08:02 PM

I'm not going to deny the rule exist. I just personally think people are reading something into it.

My stock brake line runs across the stock steel firewall. Did in 1965 still does today in 2011. I have always had to do a personal chuckle about this rule. That brake line is no closer a threat than the stock proportioning valve or distribution located inside the frame on all our cars. I looked at this in great length when I moved the master cylinder to the floor. It is outside the inner framerail. This framerail is not on any stock car, it is part of the tube back half. The line in question is not in the tunnel it is several inches up the firewall.

I have personally been to several dozen NHRA sanctioned tracks. The events were not NHRA. I have been to a lot of IHRA tracks also. The NHRA inspector has teched my chassis numerous times and the hood was at home. He looked the car over in general conversation, had nothing to do with the chassis cert. Never once mentioned this brake line. Maybe he just did not see it for the black paint. Would it be a good investment to tube over the line, absolutely. Will it be done anytime soon, probably not. And just for info. The car ran 8.0's in the quarter at a dozen tracks. So it is a little slow. Maybe that is why nothing has ever been said.

Not telling you to do anything un safe. But, I would rather tube the line in its existing location than run it around the K-member where the crank can reach it. Let's say if I were to drive over the crank.

Leon
Posted By: SB412DUSTER

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/09/11 09:48 PM

I wonder if the OP's tech man has ever looked at a Mustang and told them they had to change their brake lines? Every Mustang from Ford has the brake lines run right down the middle by the driveshaft
Posted By: XXHEMI

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/10/11 12:14 AM

I was given two warnings at Lebanon Valley and told not to return without it corrected.

Attached picture 6863751-Nastblack.jpg
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/10/11 12:43 AM

Quote:

Not telling you to do anything un safe. But, I would rather tube the line in its existing location than run it around the K-member where the crank can reach it. Let's say if I were to drive over the crank.

Leon

putting the line inside a stainless tube is exactly what I did and they have never again said a word about it.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Factory brakeline on firewall not pass tech inspection? - 10/10/11 12:51 AM

Quote:

I was given two warnings at Lebanon Valley and told not to return without it corrected.

I was told I had to move mine at lvd once and its an auto running mid 12's
© 2024 Moparts Forums