Moparts

Aluminum main caps

Posted By: Anonymous

Aluminum main caps - 10/06/11 04:25 PM

For a street/strip and/or race only motor applications, in what ways and why are the aluminum main caps better than steel?
Posted By: BradH

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/06/11 04:31 PM

The Search feature can be extremely handy:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post5972034

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6154609

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post6345146

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/06/11 04:47 PM

Thank you very much.
Posted By: bcrproducts

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/07/11 03:44 AM

If I was still making main caps i could have hand delivered them to you as I live in Maple Ridge. Do I know you---Greg
Posted By: moparguy7074

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/07/11 03:51 AM

Quote:

If I was still making main caps i could have hand delivered them to you as I live in Maple Ridge. Do I know you---Greg

So start making them again...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/07/11 03:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

So start making them again...

PLEASE I'll buy several sets

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/07/11 04:55 AM

Quote:

Yes you do, we met when I came to your house to buy the a girdle from you and bought an nos bottle as well. You were also gracious enough to show me your shop and car, and you also hooked me up to moparts.

Robert

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/07/11 02:13 PM

Now I remember. How is it going as you were well on your way way back then.

Greg

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/08/11 01:12 AM

The pic in my sig is where I am at, hopefully by next summer. Things are going better lately. Hows things with you? Are you doing any local racing?

Robert

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/08/11 01:23 AM

My Cuda is 3/4 finished with a 4130 full tube chassis based on a skinny kid copy of a design. Double frame rail very similar to an IHRA prostock chassis. With my full time job and my business I have not worked on it in a long time. I hope to free up some time soon. But as you know our economy is much better than our counterparts down south so I have to make the cash while the gettins good as they say. I am so busy I just hired another full time road salesman. I have been racing gokarts with my daughter pretty much year round every two weeks for the past three years. So I still get my fill of fun times. I miss the adrenalin of the drag car but not the waiting around between rounds.

Greg
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/08/11 06:41 AM

Greg, you need to start selling the aluminum caps and girdle again!

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/10/11 08:38 PM

Well it may just happen. Been talking to a few guys and it looks like there is still enough interest to resurect this thing.

Greg

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/10/11 10:23 PM

Didn't you sell the rights for the product?

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/11/11 05:09 AM

Nope never got paid a cent, so I will take it another direction now. This time it will happen and you guys will get the product that the budget racer needs.

Greg

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/12/11 01:16 AM

Awesome!
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/12/11 02:44 AM

Greg,

i will be calling you tomorrow.

Jerry
Posted By: PETE@BESTMACHINE

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/14/11 02:22 PM

We prefer aluminum caps on stock blocks to help with with shock loads in the main area.Funny thing though is that we have used steel caps also with no problems. We have always had our aluminum main caps and seal retainers made here in the USA. Sometimes were our out of stock but can always have them in a short time.
Posted By: pete walton

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/14/11 05:24 PM

Have a friend who runs Program cross bolt mains in a 440 block ,he has had no issues so far,,,,and i run ali caps in my 440 ,,again no problems so far ,,,,I think its about how good your machine shop is that will determine the failure rate of both set ups....thats my take on it for what its worth

Attached picture 6871013-6269859-phpmagzompm_170.jpg
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/14/11 06:52 PM

Quote:

We prefer aluminum caps on stock blocks to help with with shock loads in the main area.Funny thing though is that we have used steel caps also with no problems. We have always had our aluminum main caps and seal retainers made here in the USA. Sometimes were our out of stock but can always have them in a short time.

I have Pete's (Best Machine Racing Engines) aluminum caps on both my 400 blocks.
Posted By: BradH

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 12:17 AM

In terms of design, it looks to me like the BCR standard replacement and the Best Machine caps are very similar. However, IIRC, BRC used some type of 6061 vs. Best using a 7075-type aluminum. What are the pros & cons of these two different materials, everything else being the same?
Posted By: Performance Only

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 01:24 AM

Quote:

In terms of design, it looks to me like the BCR standard replacement and the Best Machine caps are very similar. However, IIRC, BRC used some type of 6061 vs. Best using a 7075-type aluminum. What are the pros & cons of these two different materials, everything else being the same?

borrowed from the internet...

Internet facts:

7075 T6:
Ultimate Tensile Strength 83000 psi
Shear Strength 48000 psi

6061 T6:
Ultimate Tensile Strength 42000 psi
Shear Strength 27000 psi

7075 T6 is serious stuff, and is very expensive. I would be careful of someone claiming to be selling it.

Hope this helps

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 02:31 AM

Every body has a reason to use a certain material for any given purpose. Just because one material has a higher tensile strength does not make it superior for a given product. 7075 is very hard and is no where near as shock absorbant as 6061 materials. I tested multiple types of aluminum and had likely the # 1 Metalurgists in motorsport to offer his opinion on what material would be best before deciding on what we finished up using. There is a reason for using what we did. By the way -- our failure rate was pretty much non existant. I sold thousands of caps over a fifteen year period and never had a complaint of failure on one cap. Now was there an engine failure --i am sure there was but never ever had even a picture of one of my caps that had broken. I never ever had a customer rag me that they had a part fail due to material. Just food for thought.

Greg
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 03:04 AM

7075 T6 is subject to severe stress corrosion cracking, you want 7050T651 or similar, it has retrogression and reaging to get rid of the cracking problems. Also T6 has issues when heat treated in thick cross sections. You can get plate and machine it from that better than block. Tim

Quote:

Quote:

borrowed from the internet...

Internet facts:

7075 T6:
Ultimate Tensile Strength 83000 psi
Shear Strength 48000 psi

6061 T6:
Ultimate Tensile Strength 42000 psi
Shear Strength 27000 psi

7075 T6 is serious stuff, and is very expensive. I would be careful of someone claiming to be selling it.

Hope this helps

Posted By: Sport440

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

Every body has a reason to use a certain material for any given purpose. Just because one material has a higher tensile strength does not make it superior for a given product. 7075 is very hard and is no where near as shock absorbant as 6061 materials. I tested multiple types of aluminum and had likely the # 1 Metalurgists in motorsport to offer his opinion on what material would be best before deciding on what we finished up using. There is a reason for using what we did. By the way -- our failure rate was pretty much non existant. I sold thousands of caps over a fifteen year period and never had a complaint of failure on one cap. Now was there an engine failure --i am sure there was but never ever had even a picture of one of my caps that had broken. I never ever had a customer rag me that they had a part fail due to material. Just food for thought.

Greg

I'll second that! Its not always about absolute tensile strength.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Aluminum main caps - 10/15/11 03:37 AM

speaking of tensile strength, there is also a steel girdle supporting the aluminum caps
© 2024 Moparts Forums