Moparts

I need some engine recommendations

Posted By: 604 Hemi GTX

I need some engine recommendations - 10/04/11 09:24 PM

I've got a 542ci RB in my GTX and it's mild.This winter i'm going to upgrade the heads, intake, cam, carb and aluminum main caps.What do you guys recommend ie indy or edelbrock for heads and intake, who's cam and some specs, who's aluminum main caps and i have a 8896 1050 dominator already(new). I would like to run mid to low 10s, the car weighs in at 3800lbs t400 with a brake, 4700 stall converter and 410 in the rear. Yes i know i should upgrade the block, if i could find a good used or a good deal on a new one i may consider it.
Thanks for all and any info.
Kevin
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/04/11 10:05 PM

The BCR aluminum caps are out of production right now. I don't know when/if they will be made again. So, I would check with Best Machine Racing Engines. I have their aluminum caps on my 400 blocks. You could consider a main cap girdle.
Posted By: smokinwoody

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/04/11 10:33 PM

Quote:

The BCR aluminum caps are out of production right now. I don't know when/if they will be made again. So, I would check with Best Machine Racing Engines. I have their aluminum caps on my 400 blocks. You could consider a main cap girdle.

I thought Chenowith bought the rights to make those..CRE
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/04/11 10:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

He did but by the other post they seem to be MIA at the moment?

As far as heads , Ebrocks ? I'd look at Indy's to feed 542" , and a diaper to catch the block parts ...
Posted By: fishy340

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 01:23 AM

I'D JUMP ON THE MOTOR DIABLO IS SELLING...THATS A STEAL..NEEDS CARBS

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 01:56 AM

Quote:

I'D JUMP ON THE MOTOR DIABLO IS SELLING...THATS A STEAL..NEEDS CARBS

There a little out of my league.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 02:24 AM

Give us all the specs on what you have now. You might be able to upgrade your current motor with a set of ported SRs and hit the mark, although spinning it higher with a fully ported set off 440-1 heads will definitely get you there, and depending on cam type and numbers, be able to dip into the nines.

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 03:14 AM

Quote:

Give us all the specs on what you have now. You might be able to upgrade your current motor with a set of ported SRs and hit the mark, although spinning it higher with a fully ported set off 440-1 heads will definitely get you there, and depending on cam type and numbers, be able to dip into the nines.

Right now it's approx 9.5 comp,509hyd cam, 915 iron heads, performer rpm intake and 950 hp carb. I dropped the pan a while back and it's got a bryant crank cut.020/.020, eagle rods and venolia pistons. The comp and cam are speculation. The best the car has run was 10.92@123, i would like to run a mid to low 10
Kevin
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 03:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Right now it's approx 9.5 comp,509hyd cam, 915 iron heads, performer rpm intake and 950 hp carb. I dropped the pan a while back and it's got a bryant crank cut.020/.020, eagle rods and venolia pistons. The comp and cam are speculation. The best the car has run was [Email]10.92@123[/Email], i would like to run a mid to low 10
Kevin

I agree with Greg on the heads SR with M.W. port size or B1-BS heads opened up to M.W. size and a intake to match , bigger carb, 1050 or 1150 dominator, solid roller cam with 255 to 265 at .050 (with as much lift as you can get, maybe some 1.65 or 1.70 rocker arms) ground on a 108 LSA installed anywhere from 108 to 104 on the intake side. Make the compression ratio around 10.25 to 1 to 11.0 to 1 for pump gas, I have a similar combination with less C.I. (518 C.I.) and in a lighter weight car,3450 race weight with me in it, it has ran 10.03 ET several times at 133.68 MPH in the heat this summer, it is not max out on the tune up or chassis yet The motor is a air pump, you need lots of air and fuel to make big power, don't forget to make sure your fuel system is built to feed over 750 HP If not you can hurt the motor and not even know it Been there done that
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 05:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Right now it's approx 9.5 comp,509hyd cam, 915 iron heads, performer rpm intake and 950 hp carb. I dropped the pan a while back and it's got a bryant crank cut.020/.020, eagle rods and venolia pistons. The comp and cam are speculation. The best the car has run was [Email]10.92@123[/Email], i would like to run a mid to low 10
Kevin

What's the bore and stroke?
Are the pistons dished?
That's really low compression for a closed chamber headed 540.

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 03:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

What's the bore and stroke?
Are the pistons dished?
That's really low compression for a closed chamber headed 540.

4.380 bore and 4.5 stroke. I looked in a cylinder and they it looked like a flat top, but the bore scope i borrowed wasn't the best.
Kevin
Posted By: RT540

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 03:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He did but by the other post they seem to be MIA at the moment?

As far as heads , Ebrocks ? I'd look at Indy's to feed 542" , and a diaper to catch the block parts ...

Your diaper comment made me lol, hope no one is offended, but there´s a good point in using a diaper, regardless of block type. I will use one with my megablock.

Heads ? the dedicated 440-1 cnc version with a good port job like MCH and quality 2.25 valves will be a good upgrade.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 04:14 PM

Would I be out of line if I predicted some mild boost (8-10 lbs) with E-85 would get him a low maintenance 9.99 with most of the parts he already has?

Kevin
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 04:22 PM

Quote:

Would I be out of line if I predicted some mild boost (8-10 lbs) with E-85 would get him a low maintenance 9.99 with most of the parts he already has?

Kevin

Not at all, if he is willing to go that route. You make a good point. Mild boost on top of the combo will definitely wake it up. Very streetable. Less need for loose converter or steep gears. The one thing that is against it is the 906 heads can be crack prone. Might as well fix that issue early on. Boost also makes sense due to the stock block. Less stress per hp generated, provided the tune up is right.

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 04:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Kevin

Not at all, if he is willing to go that route. You make a good point. Mild boost on top of the combo will definitely wake it up. Very streetable. Less need for loose converter or steep gears. The one thing that is against it is the 906 heads can be crack prone. Might as well fix that issue early on. Boost also makes sense due to the stock block. Less stress per hp generated, provided the tune up is right.

What type of boost,procharger or turbo and were to get the parts. Does someone make a complete kit?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: I need some engine recommendations - 10/05/11 07:03 PM

Procharger kits here $$ http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/products.html

Turbo kits are few and far between also $$. Lots of good turbo info on the Mopar Turbo Tech Forum http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0 If you can do your own fab work and are good at parts shopping, you can put your own turbo kit together for a relatively reasonable cost.

If that engine was built zero deck with a dished flat top piston and those 915 heads it will have good quench. That will be a plus for boosting an engine with a CR that is a little higher than ideal.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums